บทที่ 30

My Past, Present & Future

(Listening to Let Me Love You by Rita Ora) 

 

Seulgi only sighed on Krystal's exasperation to point out ideas and opinions during their brief discussion. She instantly called it a day when her friend still in her worst condition since it is fruitless for both of them to continue. 

 

"I know you're not... okay.. but... maybe if, you consider it a bit, we can finish our assignment faster," Seulgi said, clicking her pen off. "I'm not lucky like you, who used to live in states and even grew up there speaking English 24 hours. That's why I need your contribution as the real native speaker, because English is being so hard to me," 

 

"English is not hard as you thought, Kang Seulgi. Its just you who being hard to it," 

 

"And then why you're being hard too?" 

 

Krystal and Seulgi glanced at each other for a moment. 

 

"I don't know..." Krystal said, releasing a deep breath before she ruffled her long hair to the back, fighting over the strong wind. "I'm sorry, Seul but now I can't think.. straight," 

The same age friend was flabbergasted at first, since it was her first time witnessing Krystal being honest about herself. 4 years as friends, she'd never say a thing about what she felt, or what she thought about certain situation and condition. No matter how upset and angry she was, Krystal already used to keep everything as secret from her circle of friends. 

"Alright... you know I'm just right here... I am listening," Seulgi stated. 

 

Krystal eyed Seulgi, taking a moment to think should or should not she expresses what she feels. Then she told, "You probably won't understand it, Seul but I see nothing is right. Nothing is right when my peaceful life suddenly been invaded by the woman who caused the failure of my parents' marriage," 

"Maybe you will say, I'm heartless because I can't forgive people mistakes but... the thing is different. This time she's not just asking for my help but also begged me to love their child. Everytime I remember what my father had done, for breaking my trust on him, I can't tolerate my mind," 

 

"But...why... she asked for your help?" Seulgi questioned. 

 

"That woman is terribly sick now. She is battling with brain cancer," 

 

"O-oh?! Cancer???" 

 

"Hmmh, stage four," 

 

Seulgi pouted , upset to receive the new information. "I'm sorry, Soo Jung but I don't know why I feel pity for that woman... I shouldn't feel that, right?" 

 

However, Krystal can't help but to chuckle as she heard Seulgi's sad tone. 

"Yah, someone's dying here. I'm not feeling happy either," 

 

"So then? Why you were so moody?" 

 

"Because I can't accept her daughter...yet. She kinda reminds me of my late father," 

 

"Soo Jungie, no one forces you to happily accept her this instant, okay? But you can't run from the fact that she is your sister too. Just imagine you are in her shoes. Young and innocent, barely knows how is father's love and now... her mother is dying," 

"It must be not easy for her too," 

 

Krystal's lips has been shutted by her mate's suggestion. She can't find the exact allibi to go against Seulgi's view on that moment so she chose silence. 

"Why she's here by the way?" Krystal changed the topic as she glanced at the other figure who's indirectly joined their evening discussion. The person is Amber, who has both her ears covered with earphones, laying down on the smooth grass, under the shady cherry tree. 

"I pleaded her to come along incase... you're gonna eat me alive," Seulgi replied, looking at the boyish's direction too. "She's the only shield I have if you suddenly transform into lioness," 

 

That made Krystal let out a laugh while Seulgi clamped her lips together, quite disappointed. 

"Laugh all you want because you don't have any idea how scared I was to make you out from the room," 

 

"Why in the world you have to be afraid of me huh?" 

 

"Not like I'm scared of you, I'm just... being polite," 

 

And Krystal laughed again. 

 

"Such a relief you know how to react to certain situation, finally," Seulgi stated, faking a sigh. "I thought I would never see your smile again," 

 

"Yah! I'm not a robot, I have expressions and moods, of course!" 

 

"Sure you do," Seulgi's face turned flat. She fixed her short bangs, saying, "So now, are you... okay?" 

 

"A bit," Krystal snorted as her hand reached for a can of instant brewed coffee. She passed to Seulgi and took one for herself before noticing there's one left in the plastic bag. She suddenly remembered Amber's fond to coffee so she lifted her head up and stared at the boyish who's not very far away from their picnic mat. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

(Listening to Beautiful by Crush) 

 

 

Amber's POV 

 

I stared upon the mighty sky, and keep my ears widely opened, listening to the wind whistling as I put my hands above my head. 

I used this peaceful moment to recall everything that happened today. 

This morning I was late to the art's lecture and already received the last warning from Professor Kim. For the first time I saw her serious face as she said, "Once again you late to my class, though for 5 damn seconds, I'm going to give you E," 

I sweared to her that I'm not going to sleep the night before her Tuesday class anymore and promised to be as early as a bird for her next classes. 

I blamed myself for that incident because I went to the bar with Key and assumed alcohol more than my body could take. I ended up sleeping lifelessly on the floor of living room and woke up precisely at 8 as Dahyun and Yebin's loud laugh invaded my sleep. I'm so sure they must be disgusted to sniff my awful morning breath when I greeted them. 

Moving to the next schedule, I spent 2 hours alone in the library to find revision books for History of Korea, my new favourite subject after literature and was too immersed with every page of it until I forgot to have lunch. I'm glad when I returned to my unit, Kyulkyung became the most dilligent girl today as she already cooked unknown Chinese meal which miraculously delicious. I finished it all since I was starving to death. Going to repay her kindness with her favourite steamed bun, later. 

And while I was landing effortlessly on the sofa, Seulgi came knocking on the door and claimed she's been tracking for Krystal who has been missing for half of the day. She said they made a deal to meet and discuss, plus the task needs Krystal's effort in interpreting since she's the only one who understands everything in English. 

I taught Seulgi a simple stupid trick to pull Krystal out of her room although I was hesitated to face her again, since her ridiculous act last night.

But surprisingly, she did come out. 

I don't know why I have agreed to 'accompany' Seulgi for their discussion and ended up doing nothing here, under the shady tree, on the smooth grass, with music mode on. 

 

I closed my eyes, deciding to get a quick nap when someone's shadow was blocking the bright sunshine. 

Slowly opening my eyes, I caught the pretty figure of Krystal has been standing right in front of me, with her crossed arms, and furrowed eyebrows. 

Hssh, she really is a nap ruiner! 

 

"I came on the right moment," she told, showing me a can of caffeine drink to my face. "Here, special tips for your faithful waiting," 

I rose to sitting position and put off the earphones. 

"I'm not waiting for anyone," I said, avoided her eyes as I stood up. 

 

I heard she said, 

"Yeah, you were not waiting, but sleeping," 

This time, I turned my face at her. 

"Almost sleeping but your black shadow disturbed my eyes," I sounded a bit cold but maybe it's good since we're not really in good term. 

 

She stared back at me, "Is it because I scolded you?" 

I didn't mutter a thing back, instead I pretended to be busy with my phone. 

 

"Yah, I'm talking now you stupid," 

 

"Yeah, I'm listening you stupid," I replied instantly, purposedly to annoy her too. "What now? Expecting me to forgive you?" 

 

"I didn't say anything," 

 

I glanced at her as frustration had slowly rising inside. This girl, is the best example of persistent senseless woman. 

"Good for you," I muttered, thinking I should leave the place immediately because I couldn't see why I need to stay. I was taking a step away when Krystal pressed the can of drink at my tummy, blocking my way out. 

"At least take this, Seulgi.. wanted you to have it,"

I took what she gave and stated, 

"Okay, now happy?" I eyed her closely before continuing, "Say thank you to Seulgi," and again ready to leave but stopped when she grabbed my right hand. 

I sighed, 

"What now?" 

 

She didn't look me in the eyes, but staring down on the grass. 

"Seulgi said... I should apologize," 

 

"That's what Seulgi wants, not you," 

 

She released my hand then. Tilted her head up a bit, and finally confronted me face to face. 

"Whoever wanted me to say sorry to you, they were right. I must admit I was too emotional. As grown ups, we must settle this in mature way," 

 

I put my hands on the waist, "We? Why should we? I'm not the one who got mad, but you were," 

 

"Hahh," Krystal sighed, "Okay-okay, it was only me then. I'm.... sorry, Amber," 

 

"Hmm... now that's right," I only hummed as response. "So, what now?" 

 

She gazed at me afterwards, maybe wondering what's next she should do to redeem her mistake. I hold my laugh since her pouted mouth was very cute though. She's like some lost kitten with that sharp eyes and confused look. 

 

"Krys, you---" I couldn't finish my words when she pulled my body closer to her and hugged me tight, resting her head on my chest as if she's trying to hear the sound of my heartbeat. 

Of course, I was startled for her sudden behaviour but somehow, the scent of her long hair did sooth me in strange way. 

 

I just tapped her shoulders, and muttered, "Okay now I forgive you," then immediately released her body from me as I sensed Seulgi was watching us. 

I really don't have any idea on what to say next but my hand made it's own way to the top of Krystal's head and gently caressed it. 

She just stood there, blinking her eyes softly at me, without a word. 

 

I think I'm being stupid again as I heard myself, 

"Let's forget everything, Krys. Just live with what you believe and I'm not going to interfere again," 

 

 

 

***

 

Author's POV 

 

When everything seems to be back to normal, both Amber and Krystal felt maybe being close friends is the best for them. 

Krystal only has 10 months to finish her MA while Amber still hasa year and half to go. They were too busy to get through the difficult life as student. Rushing to the classes, and spent mostly the day completing assignments and self-study, none of them has the time to speak about feelings again. 

Amber still write everything in her diary when she felt the sudden crave for love or attention while Krystal, she made up her mind to be more open to everyone and has learnt how to brace herself everytime she bumped to her half sister, Sinbi. 

Although Jessica has been lecturing her a lot to be a little bit non-selfish to the younger girl, Krystal still can't accept her as one of their father's daughter. 

Despite of her cold treatment to Sinbi, Krystal sometimes don't understand why that girl seems never to give up on being nice. Every week, she always received a lunchbox with full of delicious food from Sinbi as she passed it to Dahyun or Kyulkyung since they have classes together. 

 

Until one day, she heard a breaking news from Jessica about the death of their step-mother. 

 

 

Krystal didn't know how to react, instead she was frozen at her seat, in her room while staring at the empty wall and for the very first time, Sinbi's bright face flashed through her eyes. 

 

 

And Krystal felt a warm liquid slowly running through her cheeks.