บทที่ 58

My Past, Present & Future

 (Listening to I Can't Stop Me by Twice) 


 

They heard a few steps from outside, and soon the bell rang, interspersed with a few knocks on the door.

Amber fixed her eyes at the compass designed clock wall, wiping both her palms on her thighs. "Alright kiddos, they've arrived. Earlier than I thought," she spoke to Shuhua and Imme, who helped each other putting the tray of foods on the rectangular shape table. 

 

"I got it," Imme said and walked to the door. 

 

 

 

 

Dahyun, Minkyung, Yebin and Sinbi were frozen at their spot when they caught Imme's figure after the door has been opened wide. 

A bit shy, Imme bowed politely to them. 

"Come in, Amber is inside, setting up things," 

 

"Ooh," Yebin mumbled, glancing at Dahyun by her side. Sinbi, holding a bouquet full of chocolates and candies stepped in first, followed closely by Minkyung in her office outfit. 

The four entranced the house as Imme led them to the living room. Dahyun whispered to Yebin when they reached the space. 

"Who is he? Did they hire a butler for this tiny home?" 

 

Shrugging, Yebin whispered back, "I don't know, Dahyun. Amber unnie never mention about hiring a servant to me. I thought she and Krystal unnie are capable of handling their home by themselves?" 

 

The two paused when they heard Amber called out their names happily. 

"Dubu! Yebin- nie!" 

 

Dahyun threw the gift box on the sofa as she rushed to Amber's arms, hugging the latter so tightly. 

"You don't know how much I miss you, Amber unnie!" she expressed. 

Then, Yebin joined them, squeezing her tiny self between Amber and Dahyun. 

 

They released themselves after a moment of expressing their longings to see each other ended and Amber ruffled Yebin's hair playfully. "Miss you guys too!" 

 

Miyeon, came from the kitchen, slowly placed the bowl full of spaghetti's bolognese sauce on the grand dining table. She stood next to Imme and watched Amber's reunion with her beloved friends. 

 

Minkyung and Sinbi also walked to Amber and gave her a hug afterwards, as they greeted her so dearly too. 

 

"You're looking good, Minky," Amber praised the tall woman. "How's your day at the ministry's office? Got friends?" 

 

"I am blessed with questions, unnie. But you sound exactly like my dad now," Minkyung joked and made the girls laughed. 

"Tough, but I got the skill. So don't worry Amberdad," 

 

Amber chuckled, caressing Minkyung's head. She looked at Sinbi then, "You tiny Jessica, how's your cafe?" 

 

Sinbi smiled, "Same as what you saw the last time, unnie," 

 

 

She felt so infinitely happy that she forgot to introduce the new faces to her friends, who've been standing there like a statue. 

Amber was fast to apologize as she said, 
"Oh, we have three special guests today, everyone," and looked at the trio. "Meet Miyeon, Imme and Shuhua," 

 

They bowed politely and put on bright smiles to the new faces before Yebin opened , " I just thought you got a door opener in this house, unnie. And... you, the middle one... is a boy?" 

 

Amber denied immediately, 

"No, the middle one is a female, Yebin," 

 

Dahyun covered with her palm and looked at Amber, surprised. "Oh! She's like you, Amber unnie!" 

"I'm sorry for mistaken you as a boy earlier!" 

 

Imme nodded and lowered her knees in an appropriate manner. "I got that a lot, miss. I'm fine, don't worry," 

Shuhua stole a glance at Imme, sensing the latter was a bit awkward with Dahyun and the girls' reactions at her. 

 

 

"I'm sorry...Imme? But I think, your look should get the highest compliment," Yebin voiced out. 

 

 

Miyeon grinned, "And you all also very very pretty too!" 



 

Minkyung chuckled, 

"Wait until you see Irene unnie, my dears," she took off the blazer and relaxed her back to the cushion. "Unnie, sorry to be blunt but I'm very hungry," 

 

Dahyun flopped her tiny body next to Minkyung and agreed with the office-worker woman. "Agree to agree. I'm also starving right now, Amber unnie. The foods are ready, where the others???" 

 

 

Amber handed a soda to each of them personally, and answered, "Not sure. Krystal said she's on her way back, while Jessica, Pinky and Key probably are heading out from the airport,"  

"Irene and Seulgi will be a bit late while Wendy might be here soon," 

 

 

"Imme, Shuhua and Miyeon, make yourself home, okay? I'm going to clean myself first," Amber told and walked passed them, directed herself to the master bedroom. 

 

 

 

Watching the awkward trio were standing a bit far from them, Dahyun invited them to sit on the empty sofa then. 

 

"Are you guys her students?" 

 

Miyeon shook her head instantly. "No, we're not," 

"We knew Amber- through... a diary," 

 

Hearing that made Imme secretly tapped her younger cousin's shoulder. 

 

Yebin shot an interesting stare at Imme, 

"Don't say... you've found Amber unnie's black diary???" 

 

Miyeon ignored Imme and nodded her head vigorously. 

 

Yebin clapped, 

"Holy grail! So one of you is the... heiress of Cho Industries, I am right???" 

 

Shuhua and Miyeon pointed their index fingers at Imme who sat in the middle. 

 

Excited, Yebin shifted her attention at the others, 

"Seulgi unnie told me that there was this one girl came looking for Wendy unnie's information. She even donated half-a-hundred million wons to our library in order to dig in details about it!" she looked at Imme again. "You're that person, is it?" 

 

Imme had no choice but to simply nodded her head. "I hope that doesn't make me look like someone who's trying to bribe with money, miss... I'm just trying to help with things I can do," 

 

Yebin shook, "Of course you weren't. The money was used for good though,"

"You got the solid alibi," 

 

 

"But... why are you so eager to know?" Dahyun asked and opened the canned drink. "I still remember, back then when Amber unnie used to lay down on her bed with the table lamp on. She spent hours writing in that thing, which she said the only company she had," 

 

"I'm... interested in old journals, diaries and more vintage stuff, miss. This hobby connects me with a lot of people," Imme explained briefly. 

 

"Was it worth your time and money? I thought nobody could find unnie's diary is pretty interesting. I thought Seulgi unnie put it there for fun," Dahyun muttered and sipped the soda. 

 

Imme, calmly replied, 

"In my humble view, miss. Amber's story is a beacon for LGBT community out there. And being able to be here for today, meeting her, Krystal and all of you, I suppose it is more than worthy. The characters in the diary are unique, vary in colours, just like how Amber described you all in her diary- I find it surreal as I didn't expect to be this lucky," 

 

 

Minkyung, Dahyun, Yebin and Sinbi glanced at each other for a while.

 

"Phew, you're kinda sound like Amber unnie now, kiddo," claimed Minkyung with a little smile. "Yes, you're right about her anyway. Our Amber unnie is very good at putting words. One of her many charms, her endurance in handling emotions is very high. Especially when Krystal unnie was pregnant with Dani. Remember it, guys?" 

 

Upon catching the word 'pregnant', Imme, Miyeon and Shuhua stunned in their position. 

 

 

"Yeahhhh, Krystal unnie and her strange cravings... And there's one time I stopped by to dine with them a few days before the second-born, Archie was out- Amber unnie was forced to sleep in the couch because she can't stand her body odour. Weird for me since Amber unnie is not even a guy," Yebin added casually.  

 

 

Imme stuttered, "Did you just say... Krystal was pregnant???" 

 

 

Sinbi nodded at Imme, "Yes she just did," 

 

It took a minute for Imme, Shuhua and Miyeon to process what they've just heard. None of them able to react or to leave another comment for the new information they've received 'casually' from both Minkyung and Yebin. 

 

The guests of Amber's house didn't have to wait any longer as the bell rang again from outside. Sinbi left the couch and got the door. 

 

Krystal's return with two boxes of an extra-large pizza had enlightened the young women. Sinbi welcomed her half-sister with a big smile and it turned wider when she spotted the tiny human beings with Krystal.  

 

"Dani, hurry. It's cold outside," Krystal said to the 5-year-old toddler while guiding the 13 months baby Archie that still struggling to place his feet on the ground, into their home. 

 

"Imooo!" Dani screamed as she saw Sinbi holding the door. Delighted, Sinbi lifted the little girl with her arms and kissed her chubby cheek. 

"Whoa, you're getting heavy, Dani Liu," Sinbi mumbled and walked back to the couch. 

 

Krystal put pizza boxed on the dining table and released her pinky from Archie's fingers when Minkyung approached them and got a hold of him. 

 

 

"It was a hell to keep her on track girls," Krystal sighed when she saw Dahyun and Yebin crowded her first child. 
 

Minkyung chuckled and looked at Krystal.
"We just could stop by and fetch them, unnie. Mr Kim's house is not that far," 

 

Sighing again, Krystal replied, taking off her jacket. 

"I know... but today my mother wanted to meet her grandkids before she flies back to LA so I have to send them and pick these midgets from our penthouse back and forth," 

 

"Oh, that's why," Minkyung stated, caressing Archie's balded head. "Wow look at you, little man, you got dimples!" 

 

Krystal smiled seeing Minkyung pressing her son's cheek and made him giggled happily. 

 

 

 

 

 

"This is, too much to brain at once," Shuhua said, glancing at Imme and then chuckled. The older girl glanced back at her, 

 

"True. Knowing Amber and Krystal got together is enough... but have kids? Unbelievable," 

 

Miyeon couldn't contain her excitement again when Dani walked to the sofa they've been sitting on and showed her palms. 

She was offering her candy and Miyeon squealed, "Is it for me???" 

 

 

Dani nodded. 

 

"Aigooooo you're so cuteeee!" Miyeon claimed and took one of the wrapped candies from Dani's tiny palm. "Thank youuuuu!" 

 

Then, she moved to Imme, and made another offer. 

 

Dahyun and Yebin already sat on the floor, watching Dani approaching the new faces as their smiles grew bigger and bigger for every moment. 


"Chu cant ave the stowbewy," Dani's baby talk made Imme's forehead scrunched.

She tried to ask,
"Sorry? What is it again little one?" 

 

Shuhua touched Dani's chubby cheek then, "I think she doesn't want you to take the red one, unnie," 

 

 

"Ohh..." Imme laughed when Dani wanted to eat the red one but Shuhua quickly took it and unwrapped the plastic first. 

 

"Okay-okay my fault," Imme muttered and picked the green coloured candy then. 

 

The little Dani laughed when Shuhua playfully took the yellow candy and pretended to eat it then 'puke' it back. 

Meanwhile, Imme and Miyeon had their eyes glued at the cute toddler as none of them able to resist her charm and bubbliness.

 

"I wish she and Archie will stay like this forever, Dubu," Yebin said, admiring Dani being playful with Shuhua and Miyeon. 

Dahyun sighed, nodded, "And I wish we do not age too, Yebin... I feel like just yesterday I saw Amber unnie in my room, asking for a pillow,"

"Ten years like a blink of an eye. Who would have thought, the Life Literature Club has existed for a long time and we are all still together until now? I'm so grateful for our long-lasting friendship," 

 

Overwhelmed, Yebin shifted her head at Dahyun, humming in agreement. 

 

"I wonder too, either Amber's parents and her sister are doing fine or not,"

 

Dahyun heaved a sigh then. 

 

"They still ignoring her?" 

 

"Sadly... yeah," snorted Yebin. "Maybe her father will change his mind once he meets Dani and Archie," 

 

The pale-skinned woman did not leave any reply, instead of smiling calmly watching Amber and Krystal's daughter was enjoying her playtime on Imme's lap. 

 

 

 

***

The table was full of a variety of food. Some of them spent time chatting with each other and others took the opportunity to observe in silence, despite feeling lucky to be there at the time. Amber had Archie sitting on her lap all the times while Krystal stayed close next to her, watching Dani having fun with her favourite aunties. 

Jessica, as she arrived, continued to rush to get her niece and hug her as tightly as possible. She embraced Krystal's side and had her full attention at Archie, after tapping Amber's shoulder. While Key and Kyulkyung joined the girls at the couch, greeting and hugging each other endlessly. 

Soon after that, Irene, Seulgi, Wendy and Yuri arrived too. 

 

 

The house was merrier with so many voices and happiness was obvious. Amber let Jessica held her son as she rose from the chair and walked to the kitchen, grabbing herself a glass of plain water. 

She almost choked on drinking when a pair of arms suddenly embraced her waist. 

 

"Krys!" 

 

Krystal the culprit sniggered a laugh when Amber spun her body and faced her. 

 

"Why? I can't hug you?" 

 

The short-haired woman wiped , 

"Of course you can, Krys. But at least don't sneak in like that again. I could've died of heart attack," Amber said. 

 

 

"No, you can't die yet, Amber. I won't let you," Krystal replied and snuggled closer to her life partner. She rested her head on the latter's chest and closed her eyes. "We have kids to raise, Amber, and they need you too," 

 

Amber calmly sighed and enveloped her arms around her wife, 
"That's the deal, Krys. In order to make me live longer, you can't show up like a ghost. I'm not that young anymore, okay? My heart is old, just like me," 

 

Krystal muttered, sniffing to Amber's scent. 

"Alright, I got it," she lifted up her face and their eyes met. 

 

Amber pecked Krystal's red lips then. 



 

"Those three girls, Amber," Krystal stated. "Who are they actually? You said they're not your students," 

 

 

"Oh... them," Amber flinched as she was aware she forgot to explain to her wife about Imme, Shuhua and Miyeon's presence in their house. 
 

"Imme, the one who as boyish as me is a successor of a huge clothing empire. The beauties with her are still students and they've been her loyal companies since she found my old black diary. Have you heard of Cho Industries?" 

 

Krystal tried to recall all the customers she had met.  

Until, she was sure that Cho's family has been mentioned by her mother, just recently. 

 

"Dear God! Is she... that Cho??? I mean, yeah, I heard about her before. Mother said she had once joined President Cho for dinner at their mansion in Gangnam," 

 

Nodding, Amber clarified again. 

"If I'm not wrong her real name is... Cho Shin Mi? She's a fresh graduate of Wharton School, Krys. Apparently, she is not just a random person," 

 

Krystal agreed as she has been informed further about the new guest's background. 

 

"And very persistent as well. Wendy never goes easy if someone wanting to dig about that diary of yours, right? Clearly, that kid is really something to her I bet," 

 

"Yeah probably, or... maybe Wendy saw something that I saw in her too," Amber said. 



Krystal paused, 

"What you saw, Amber? Other than being so tall and good looking, I can't see beyond of these from her," Krystal replied and released herself from Amber's hug. "Besides, she's very rich!" 

 

Amber shook her head in disapproval, making her wife laughed. 

 

"Not what I meant, babe," she claimed and furthered, 

"I don't know... she's like she's been holding her breath and not willing to be at ease even for a moment, Krys. I can feel it, they're so many things inside her head but she doesn't know how to channel them out in the right way," 

 

 

Krystal opened the fridge and looked at Amber. 

"If you say so, help her out, Amber," and closed it back when she can't find anything interesting to grab on. "Just do your thing. She might come back as your student, who knows, right?" 

 

"Ohhh... that's a good idea," Amber came to agree to Krystal's recommendation. "But, won't it be a bit dramatic if I ask her about stuff like that?" 

 

"What do you mean by stuff like that, Amber? Please, say it specifically," 

 

 

"Well... She seems to be slightly disorientated, Krys. Just like me when I was about her age... Want me to remind you how hard it was to admit my feeling for you at that time?" 

 

Krystal raised her shoulders, 

"Don't ask me, I don't really know what you felt at that time, Amber Liu. Because I was sure of my feeling and never feel disorientated at all," 

 

Chuckling, Amber crossed her arms and gazed softly at her beloved wife,

"My point is that maybe she's going through everything by herself, Krystal... Maybe Wendy gave her green light for the first time because she thinks that kid is struggling the life I have lived before," Amber explained and had encouraged Krystal to think of it deeper. 

 

"And maybe, she needs someone who can understand her, like how you understand me, Krys," 

 

 

Krystal slowly nodded as she can't find any reason to deny. 

"I believe she's here for a reason, then. Give her some time and space, I'm sure one day, she will be better. As same as you are right now," 

 

 

The couple smiled at each other then. 

 

Amber reached for Krystal's hand and kissed it gently. 

"And that's made me love you for more, Krys," 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was late at night and she realized it was time for her to leave. 

Imme informed Miyeon and Shuhua after she saw the hanging clock wall has shown the time has passed 10 pm.

"We have to go back now," 

 

Miyeon was feeling a bit sad to leave the place but Imme convinced her that maybe they'll come again if they have time and she didn't refuse to it. 

 

"Sure, next time, then," Miyeon said and Imme smiled at her. Shuhua, who's been playing with Dani on the smooth carpet understood the older girls' conversation and gently caressed the little girl's hair. 

"I have school tomorrow, Dani. So... be a good girl okay? I will be back again to play with you and Archie," she reassured and kissed Dani's head. 

 

Dani obeyed her words and gave a nod, made Shuhua smiled for more. 

She joined Imme and Miyeon at the house entrance after waving goodbye. 

 

 

 

 

"Thanks for today, Amber," Imme expressed her gratitude when the three of them stood in front of the owner, having her wife beside her. 
 

Amber shook Imme's hand, 

"Most welcome, kiddo. You can come anytime you want to. This house is always open to everyone and that's my motto," 

Krystal smiled hearing Amber's words, she embraced the older's waist then. 

 

"Yes, come over often, okay? The kids love you all already," 

 

 

It was Miyeon and Shuhua's turn to nod at the moment. 

 

 

Imme stared at Amber and taking a quick glance at Krystal too. 

 

"I pray you two will continue to live happily ever after, with Dani and Archie," 

 

Touched with the latter's sincerity, Amber held Imme's left shoulder and gently gripped it. 

"Thank you Imme, we wish the same for you too," 

 

 

"See you again, then," Imme muttered and was the first among the three to step out from the entrance. She had Miyeon by her right side and Shuhua on her left side as they passed through the pathway out from Amber and Krystal's love home. 

 

 

 

When the trio was vague from their sightings, Amber inhaled a deep breath and looked at Krystal. 

 

 

 

"You know what Krys?"

 

 

The pretty woman stared into Amber's brown orbs. "What?" 

 

 

 

 

"I'm glad I have lived my past," she stated with a smile. 

 

 

 

"And now, I'm even happier to live in the present with you," 

 

 

 

Krystal, knowing what Amber meant, curved a smile for her. 

 

 

Then, she heard Amber once again, 

 

 

 

 

"So next, my future, Krys," 

 

 

 

"Then, what is your future, Amber?" 

 

 

 

She didn't say anything back, instead of staring lovingly into Krystal's eyes. 

 

When she took a glimpse at Dani and Archie at the living room with her friends, Amber furthered, 

 

 

 

 

"I don't think about the future anymore Krys. When I have you, either past or future is a matter to me. Because I live in the present time, that's all I got. To be present with you in this lifetime is more than enough," 

 

 

 

Krystal replied, 

 

"But you are the only one I love, Amber. In my past, present, or future," 

 

 

 

She didn't argue back but only able to sigh a smile.

 

 

 

"Alright then... I am your past, present and future," 

 

 

Krystal closed their house door, couldn't take her eyes away from Amber. The couple stepped back to the living room, side to side. 

That entire night, Amber and Krystal spent their time together with their children, alongside with the rest of girls of Life Literature Club. 

 

While the other three, they might have left the house and obtained the answers and revelations, but either Imme, Shuhua or Miyeon knew, the happy ending of Amber’s life is the beginning of their new story.

Everything will be revealed in the folds of their life history, soon after.

 

Where only time decides, when. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------The End-------------------------------------