Treasure Hunt

The Golden Quill
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gaelin ran out of the woods and into the open field. It was dark and it was cold and she was alone as she broke into a run. It was hard to shake the feeling that she was being watched and chased. Pushing the uneasy feeling aside, she pushed through the long grass and tried to remember the map. It was a treasure hunt; a race to see which contestant could find the prize and make it to the finish line first. There was no way to know how the others were fairing and she was still unsure whether she wanted to win. Was she really ready to be the next leader of the Consortium? Lee Soo-hyuk always seemed like the most capable. His whole life had been geared toward becoming the head of the Golden Quill. Was it really her place to even try and take that away from him?

There was not a lot that could scare her, but running through this place, brought back too many memories. Of a night when she ran out into these same woods to find Hoseok and a girl. A girl not much younger than her, but a girl she had hated and all because she had believed the lies of Woo Minjae. There was a movement to the left and she instantly crouched and tried to keep still. Maybe it was an animal…or worse…there was more thrashing and heavy footsteps that moved in her direction. Gaelin started to crawl away without disturbing the grass. The last thing she wanted to do was draw attention to her whereabouts.

It was actually a funny thing to realise that she was afraid for her physical wellbeing. It was not something she had experienced often. Even in the worst of times when she had a gun pointed at her or fallen off that cliff, she had not been as afraid as she was in this moment. It was how they found her, crawling away, alone and afraid. Gaelin didn’t make a sound of protest as she was pulled away from the comfort of the wet grass and forced into a standing position. “Is it her?”

The man’s voice was oddly sweet. Another man held her, pinned her arms behind her back and waited. The man who had spoken marched forward and pushed the hair away from her face. He frowned as he looked on her face, his mouth hardened, “It has to be her.” He brought the hair back over her face, covering it. Gaelin coughed, but she didn’t move.

“You must let me go.” She whispered as the two men started to look around for the best way to get out of the field.

“There is no one for miles.” The man that held her said.

“We are not here to hurt you.” The other man promised.

“Then what is it?” Gaelin asked. The fear of something unknown, immeasurable was gone. These were men, men she could deal with.

“Just orders President. I am sure you can understand we are just doing our jobs.”

Gaelin thought quickly, “Then let me give you a new job.”

The men stopped, “I am listening.” the man turned to her.

“Work for me. I will pay you double. I don’t need to know who your old boss is. Just help me.”

The men looked at each other over her head. They were wavering. Gaelin knew better than to confuse them, so she let them think it over.

“Why would we want to betray our boss?” the one holding onto her asked, but his grip loosened.

“Its double the money. Does loyalty really come into it?” Gaelin asked, “Just make the best choice for you.”

“Then…fine.” The man let her go and slowly they came to stand before her. “What is it that you want us to do?”

“I have a map.” Gaelin pointed to her head, “In here. I have to find something. Help me and I will release you from whatever contract you were bound by.”

“It is done.” They chorused and bowed their heads.

Gaelin smiled, “Then listen to this riddle.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter