Misdirection

The Golden Quill
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Jungkook arrived at Lee Corp the building was quiet, except for the executive floor where Soo-hyuk’s office was located. The House Master was not around, but Soo-hyuk’s friendly PA told Jungkook that he could go straight into his cousin’s office.

Soo-hyuk was on the phone so Jungkook took a seat on one of the leather couches and the TV. The comedy show playing went right over his head because he was thinking about Kang Hwayoung. Jungkook should be weary of the situation but he was relieved that it was a stranger who found him like that. It must have been a minor panic attack, he hadn’t had one since he was a child and they used to occur whenever he was stressed.

“How are you doing kid?” Soo-hyuk finished his call and came to sit on the couch opposite Jungkook, “Did your mother give you a hard time about staying with me?”

“Hyung is too scary. How do you even know that?”

“We both have scary mothers.” He joked and was rewarded with a genuine smile from his cousin.  

“It won’t cause problems for you will it? I mean if you need me to go back to the Estate then I will…”

“What do you want?” Gaelin had asked him to keep an eye on Jungkook who was normally a cheerful kid, but recently something was troubling him.

Jungkook wished he could admit everything, but Soo-hyuk had more important things to worry about now and he didn't need him complaining about his petty issues. “Hyung how long will you be in Hong Kong?” 

It was not lost on him that Jungkook didn’t answer his question, “Two days.” Jungkook nodded, “You should have a good trip.”

Soo-hyuk checked the updated household schedule on his phone; “You're very busy for the next two days. At least you and Taehyung will be together.”

“I don’t want you to worry about me.”

Soo-hyuk leaned his head back, resting it on the frame of the couch and closed his eyes. Normally he wouldn’t have to do this sort of thing but now that Gaelin was not around, it fell to him to fulfill all the roles she would normally do with her eyes closed, “Jungkook, are you going to make me say it?”

“I’m not sure what you mean…”

“I am not Gaelin but I will give it a try...if something is worrying you I need you to tell me, or if you don’t feel comfortable talking to me, then you can chat with the House Master or Tanaka.”

“Tanaka is also gone,’ Jungkook said resentfully and quickly lowered his eyes. He couldn’t believe he had snapped at Soo-hyuk. Even if they were cousins, Soo-hyuk was older. 

Soo-hyuk finally realized what else was troubling Jungkook, “The competition is just a passing thing in our lives.” Jungkook nodded, “I promise that you do not have to worry about things changing…”

“But things have already changed and you let it." Jungkook’s voice held an accusation and he realized he was angry with his older cousin for allowing all of it to happen. All this time he had been avoiding the fact that he wished Soo-hyuk could have done more.

Soo-hyuk nodded and rubbed his eyes and felt tired, “I am sorry you feel that way.”

“I’m sorry hyung…”

“Don’t be. I know I haven’t always been there for you. I would like to blame it on the job but that would be making excuses,” Soo-hyuk considered how to deal with the situation with Jungkook; it was bad timing because of the business trip. “Can you do me a favor? Wait for me to return and then we can talk about this properly.”

“We don’t have to talk. I am really fine.”

“This is for me,” Soo-hyuk tried another angle, “So can you give me some of your time? I want to explain some things to you.” Jungkook nodded,  “but then you must promise that you will not do anything until we speak.” Jungkook nodded again. Soo-hyuk smiled and for a moment he looked like the teenager Jungkook grew up idolizing. Soo-hyuk was the good-looking popular older cousin who was good at everything and had everyone’s affection. Back then Soo-hyuk had all the time for Jungkook and would help him out with any problem, from homework to sport, and even advice on girls. Jungkook missed those times. “I’ll wait for hyung to return.” 

When Jungkook and Soo-hyuk arrived at the restaurant he was surprised to find that they were seated

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter