Attack at the Country House

The Golden Quill
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soo-hyuk stepped out of the chauffeured car and walked up to the front entrance of the Song Country House. It was a beautiful lodge surrounded by an evergreen wood at the back. He had spent some great summers here as a child but now it was freezing and raining. He pulled his coat around his shoulders and told the driver to find the housekeeper who would sort him out for the night. The House was closed up during the year with only a single housekeeper and groundsman to manage the estate when the family wasn’t in residence.

It was annoying to break his schedule and come up here, it was a four-hour drive from the city and it was nearing 7 pm. Gaelin was really messing with him but he would have done just about anything for her especially under the circumstances. This was his second day back from Hong Kong and he had yet to tell her what happened with Woo Yerin. That little brat was just like her brother. Jiyeon had been right about Yerin all this time. Soo-hyuk had never really given his rival’s little sister much thought, that is until Hong Kong happened.

The front door was open so he entered and searched for Gaelin. The ground floor was devoid of any life and he was about to head upstairs when something outside caught his eye. He cursed and walked toward the large stacking doors. Gaelin stood out in the rain, dressed in a white dress, her skin was pale under the rain, and her clothes were soaked as was her hair.

“What are you doing? Get back inside.” he stormed outside and stood under the shelter of the patio. Gaelin turned and he stepped back when he noticed the bow and arrow, she was practicing kyudo! Gaelin swung round and took aim and released the arrow. It soared through the air and whizzed passed Soo-hyuk’s head to pierce the wooden pillar behind him.

“Yah,” he marched off the patio and into the rain, “what the hell Gaelin?”

Gaelin lifted the bow again. “Stay back or I won’t spare you this time.”

“Crazy woman,” Soo-hyuk swore, “I don’t have time for your theatrics. Is this why you called me up here? I expected more from you…” 

Gaelin dropped the bow and her lip trembled, “Lee Soo-hyuk you must hate me a lot…”

Soo-hyuk crossed his arms over his chest; “I can’t help if you don’t tell me what’s this about.”

Gaelin’s face grew hard, “Think hard Soo-hyuk. You’re a clever boy, let's see how long it takes you to figure out why a wife might call her husband up to the woods to kill him.”

Soo-hyuk stared at her, he saw that through the rain she was crying and something twisted in him, suddenly he was terrified of what she knew and what it meant for them “Gaelin…” he enveloped her in his arms, the bow rested awkwardly between them, “Mianhe” he pressed his face into her wet hair, she must have found out somehow, the competition he realized. “Nothing happened…” Gaelin pushed him off but he grabbed her again, “You called me here to have it out, so you’re not going to run away.”

“You’re such an idiot.” Gaelin moaned into his chest, “I hate you.”

“I hate me too,” he gently held her face between his hands, “You have no idea how much I hate myself right now. But Gaelin nothing happened.”

“You keep saying that but it will never take the images out of my head. I will forever see you with her…”

Soo-hyuk looked pained at her words. He broke away and turned his back on her, his shoulders lifted and dropped sharply. Gaelin watched him sadly. “I swear nothing happened,” he tried to explain how Yerin was drunk and how he took her to the room, “Yes she threw herself at me but I left her,” he turned back and ran a hand through his slick hair, “I am not interested in Woo Yerin.”

Gaelin laughed, “Silly man, you didn’t know how much she loves you?” Soo-hyuk frowned, “of course you know. You’re Lee Soo-hyuk. How many girls and women have been chasing you since we were kids?”

“I don’t care about any of that,” He was exasperated, “Gaelin, it has always been you. I chose you…”

“Lucky me,” Gaelin taunted, “But we all know why you wanted this marriage. A Song under the thumb of the Lee Household. You achieved what your father couldn’t and it has served you well until now. Me to serve you and always support your every move.” Soo-hyuk’s eyes narrowed at her skewed view of their marriage, “I wonder what you will do if I stopped serving you?.” She inclined her h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter