Pain and Shame

The Golden Quill
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Thank you, everyone, who responded to my question. It will help in how the story develops. 

Gaelin entered her suite in Finite and went to the bedroom. Having finished her lunch meeting early, she thought it smart to take advantage of the free time and that the meeting was held in Finite.

Soo-hyuk’s schedule showed that he was in meetings the whole day so there was no way he would be using the suite for his extra-marital activities. Strange how much easier it became to acknowledge and accept. But the pain didn’t go away it just grew and grew and sometimes it felt like her heart would explode because it couldn’t take it anymore. Gaelin was not ready to process how she felt about the situation so she just shoved her feelings into boxes and tried to bury them deep within her.

Two weeks had passed and in that time her life had changed so drastically. Soo-hyuk had not even said anything when she didn’t come home or that she changed the breakfast plans. He really didn’t care and that probably meant that he had never cared. Yoongi said that Soo-hyuk hated Woo Minjae and enjoyed beating him at everything, including marrying her. For Soo-hyuk she was just the prize, another way to torture Minjae. Gaelin always thought they were on the same page, that Soo-hyuk understood and knew why she was this way. That their past was theirs and no one would ever be able to change that or take what was theirs.  Now she felt like a class fool for thinking what she had with Soo-hyuk was special. That their marriage was somehow superior to the marriages in the Consortium. Now her marriage was just like everyone else’s, even worse since Soo-hyuk didn’t want anything to do with her. She had been so smug that Soo-hyuk chose her and didn’t even look at Woo Yerin or consider the younger woman to be a potential match. The two of them must laugh at her. Yerin must be thrilled to have one over on her. Gaelin sat on the bed and felt the tears of shame and rage fall down her face and onto her lap. Did Soo-hyuk talk about her with his lovers, compare her to these other women? Tell them how crazy she was – how she had always been crazy. Gaelin stood and crossed to the balcony doors. It was a beautifully windy and overcast day. She slipped off her shoes and walked across the cool marble floors, right to the edge. If she were to go, would she have the guts to jump? It was so public, so messy. Water was always the way she wanted to leave this earth. But if she just climbed up onto the banister and felt the cool air rippling through her clothes and hair, just closed her eyes and made peace with the way things were and let go…

“Gaelin,” she opened her eyes as his voice floated into her mind and brought her back to the present. “What are you doing?” Soo-hyuk was cautious as he watched his wife balance easily on the edge of the balcony. His heart was beating too fast, he was panicked and scared she would fall if she were not careful. 

Gaelin turned to face him but it was like she didn’t see him. “What are you doing here?”

Soo-hyuk blinked, was she asking him something so silly when God knows what she had been planning to do before he arrived. “I lied on my schedule.” He admitted.

Gaelin smiled ruefully, “Ah, nothing can be trusted these days. I suppose you want me to leave?” she turned toward the open air.

“Not that way,” Soo-hyuk said and then wanted to hit himself for being so crass.Gaelin laughed softly, he hadn’t heard her laugh in such a long time. It felt like he hadn’t seen her in such a long time. “I’m sorry, that’s not what I meant to say.”

“Yes it is.” Gaelin whispered as she felt the wind against her face, “It feels good up here.” Gaelin was shocked and terrified when Soo-hyuk climbed up beside her. She hadn’t noticed him approach the edge. “What are you doing?”

“Same thing you are.” Soo-hyuk peered over the edge and grimaced, “Not the best way to go.”

“I thought the same,” Gaelin admitted.

Soo-hyuk turned to face her, making her nervous, one wrong move and he could fall. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter