That Terrible Feeling

The Golden Quill
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gaelin sealed the photos of Hong Jong-hyun and Yoonah in the ivory envelope that was an exact replica of the of the Competition Federation stationery.

“It’s a genius plan.” Hoseok was impressed as he watched her work over video conference call. Gaelin was in her office at Oracle, working late so she wouldn’t think about what Soo-hyuk was doing with his free time. She was trying to keep a low profile. Handle things with grace and poise as he requested.

“Are you even listening to me?” Hoseok grumbled.

“Thank you oppa!” Gaelin smiled under his praise, but the smile didn’t reach her eyes. Hoseok leaned forward as if this might offer him a better view of his friend, “Are you on a diet or something? Why do you look so thin?”

“Why don’t you pay attention to your own depreciating waistline? Oppa has lost too much weight this year.” Gaelin chided.

“It’s this damn competition,” Hoseok revealed. “I can’t stand it. I want it to be over.”

“Well, hopefully this will solve one problem for you.” Gaelin lifted the envelope and showed him that it was addressed to Min Sinyeo. “Now she will live in fear of what the judges could do  if she continues to blackmail you and Min Yoongi.”

“Speaking of hyung…have you had a chance to speak to him?”

“About what?”

“Aish you are too slow for someone who works in information. Park Areum broke it off with hyung.”

Gaelin was shocked. “I probably didn’t give him a chance to tell me. I was so caught up with the job,” She didn’t want to go into the details of what happened, not over the phone. No doubt Soo-hyuk would confide in his best friend once Ho-seok returned and who knows how Hoseok would judge her then. Loyalty was prized above all in this generation of the Consortium. They didn’t want to be like their parents who had almost caused a war between the families with their plotting.

“Hyung told me as I was about to depart for the States so there was nothing I could do for him at the time. Knowing Yoongi, he’s probably hiding from the world. I would appreciate if you could check in on him. I would ask Soo-hyuk but he doesn’t like to get involved.”

“It’s true that I haven’t seen Yoongi oppa since we got back from the job.” Gaelin finally looked at Hoseok and he was taken aback at how thin she had become. Her face was narrow and gaunt; she had lost that twinkle in her eyes and the gleam in her raven hair. “What the hell is going on back there?” he demanded suddenly angry, “You look terrible."

“I’m fine dad,” she teased. “You worry too much,” Gaelin looked away and pretended to be busy with something on her desk; it was annoying how well he knew her. She had been able to hide her worries from everyone else but not from Yoongi and Hoseok. It was why she had been avoiding Yoongi. Seems like he was doing the same thing. Gaelin would have to put her own feelings aside and see if her friend was all right.

Hoseok leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. “Just one more week and I will be home."

“Everything will be as you left it.” She lied and wondered at the state of things.  

“Earth to Gaelin,” Hoseok waved his hand in front of the camera, “we’re going to doze off if we don’t say goodbye.”

“Sorry. We’ll speak later.” Gaelin showed him a heart.

“Go eat a hamburger or something,” Hoseok ordered before finally cutting the call.

Gaelin took a moment and then called Yoongi, “It’s been like two weeks and we should meet.”

“Yes, I suppose it can’t be avoided.”

“Oppa! Don’t sound so excited.” Gaelin teased but worried at how depressed he sounded.

Gaelin visited Yoongi at his house that same evening. “You look terrible,” she commented over dinner. The chef had prepared a beautiful spread of fish with an assortment of side dishes, but neither could eat more than a couple of mouthfuls. They had lost their appetite and it also seemed their ability to socialize and enjoy one another’s company.

“Right back at you.” Yoongi was unsympathetic, “I am sorry that punk is giving you such a hard time. But Gaelin, you deserve a little punishment for how you conducted yourself.”

“So Soo-hyuk told you?” Gaelin was embarrassed.  

“You’re not going to win him ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter