Better Dead

The Golden Quill
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi everyone - this is just background story. It is needed. So I will hope you will be patient. 

Gaelin stared up at the compound. The air was misty and you could barely see more than ten feet ahead in any direction. A large forest surrounded the compound and there was the ocean to the east. This place was like death.

“The old Jung compound,” Hoseok said, but how could anyone forget this place. It had been shut down ever since that incident. “I vowed never to come back here.” He shoved his hands into his pockets and shrugged, “Kaja.” He walked toward the large iron gates.

Gaelin, Yoongi and Soo-hyuk silently followed at a close distance. Behind them were Minjae and the two judges.

Hoseok kept his eyes low as the caretaker opened the gate. He didn’t want to see this man again, to look into his eyes and see the pain. Her father was still here as a reminder of that one moment that had changed his life forever. He could trace it back so clearly. Every decision since had been one to put distance between this place but he was back and all the memories were fresh in his mind. As if they had never left.

“You are no strangers to this place.” Jimin began the briefing once they were all inside and out of the cold. They were seated around a table and had been provided with their last envelopes. “You will be expected to report back here tomorrow morning at 05:00. Anyone who is late will be automatically disqualified.” No one responded they would not be late.

“Unfortunately no matter what the personal circumstances, each contestant will have to keep their own quarters.” Seokjin took over. This comment was directed only at Gaelin and Soo-hyuk. “We have done our best to prepare this place for your stay. Meals will be catered for. Everything besides the bedrooms themselves is being monitored by CCTV and you are not allowed to leave the compound unless instructed to.”

“Why does this feel like a prison?” Minjae commented once the judges had left.

“Because it is.” Hoseok murmured and looked around the room. “I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t’ feel much like socialising. I will see you in the morning.” They watched as he left the room.

“I am going with Hoseok oppa.” Gaelin said and followed Hoseok. He waited for her at the bottom of the stairs and they could see the pair talking quietly as they walked up the stairs.

“I will just check Gaelin’s room and then retire. See you tomorrow.” Soo-hyuk left as well.

“They do realise they can’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter