When a Man Loves a Woman (10)

Monday Couple - Random and One Shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Song Ji Hyo Ssi, I am really not interested in knowing how much you love my son or how much my son loves you. I am meeting you today because is time for you to let go and leave him.” Mr Kang told Ji Hyo. His tone was filled with frustration, a bit of confusions and some sort of determination.

Ji Hyo knew that the day would come. The day where Gary’s dad would confront her and made her leave Gary. Though things had been smooth and loving for Gary and herself for the past 24 months, she felt insecure and often had nightmares about having to be separated from Gary.

The day finally came. Ji Hyo knew that she can’t escape and have to face up to it.

“Here is a handsome sum of money for you. Thank you for taking care of Gary for the past months. Thank you for making him smile.” Mrs Kang pushed a cheque across the table. Ji Hyo took a glance at the cheque. A 5 figures number in US dollars.

“That’s my value.” Ji Hyo laughed bitterly in her heart.

“We shall be arranging a marriage for Gary. He will be someone’s husband soon. Take the money and go. Never show up in Gary’s life again.” Mr Kang kept repeating his words.

Ji Hyo told herself not to cry. But she can’t help it. The 5 figures number become blurred in seconds.

“Kang (this is how Gary’s mum addressed her husband), don’t be too tough on the girl.” Mrs Kang felt guilty of doing all these behind his son and to an innocent girl.

“Kang, she has done no wrong. Is not hers or Gary’s fault.” Mrs Kang said.

“I know, I know.” Mr Kang’s tone soften.

“Child, I am doing this for you and Gary’s good. I don’t want you or Gary to suffer after your marriage just because of your family background and upbringing. The same thing happened to me and my wife. My wife came to our family with an incompatible background. She has suffered for years and went into depression.” Mr Kang became sad as he recollect his memories.

“I almost took my own life.” Mrs Kang said as she wipe off the tears on her cheeks with a handkerchief. 

“If is not for my children, I would have just gone to heaven.” Mrs Kang sobbed quietly.

“Then why do you have to do the same to Gary oppa and me? Why can’t you let go of your prejudice? I am not a bad woman. Not having a rich and prestigious background is not my fault either. I don’t kill, don’t steal, I am a good person though I do swear and curse at times.” Ji Hyo scooped up all her courage to reason with Mr and Mrs Kang.

“That’s traditions and fate of the Kangs. No one can escape.” Mr Kang said.

Ji Hyo went home with the cheque in her bag. She wanted to talk to Gary about her meetup with his father. She wanted Gary to do something about it.

Gary came back home around 12 am. He was slightly drunk. A woman send him home. Gary has been working hard on this project with an leading company who had lots of share and businesses in Asia. The CEO’s daughter, Jessie Anton is a mixed of Chinese, Korean and Latin. A very capable, y woman. She has shown much affection to Gary. Based on Mr Kang’s description, Ji Hyo guessed that this will be the woman that Gary will be marrying.

“A much better woman than me. Looks, body, education, family upbringing, everything. She is zillion times better than me.” Ji Hyo tried to hold back her tears when she heard Gary unlocking the door.

“Ji Hyo ar….you….you…are still awake?” Gary asked. His eyes half closed. A mixture of scent, hard liquor and woman’s perfume hit Ji Hyo’s nose.

“They must be sitting very close to each other tonight. Her perfume were all on him.” Ji Hyo felt jealous.

“Oppa, I want to talk to you. GO and take a shower, get fresh and awake and talk to me. “ Ji Hyo demanded.

Gary was very busy these days. Both Gary and Ji Hyo barely meet and talk these days. Even during weekends, Gary has to go around socializing to ensure the project that the Kangs had invested heavily works fine.

“We have invested a lot of money in this project. I can’t fail.” Gary told Ji Hyo every time when he apologize that he had no time for her.

“Ji Hyo ar…Oppa is very tired. I still have a meeting at 9 am tomorrow. Let’s talk during the weekends.” Gary stumbled into the bedroom.

“No, Oppa. Kang Gary, I need to talk to you now.” Ji Hyo demanded again.

“Don’t behave like a kid. I know I have no time for you lately. Be patient with me OK? We shall go on a vacation after I wrap up this project.” Gary said as he pecked a kiss on Ji Hyo’s face.

Ji Hyo looked sadly at the back of Gary as he entered the bedroom.

It was a tough project for Gary. He is no doubt a capable CEO but there indeed many things that are not under his control. External factors like government policies, weather conditions, etc.

Ji Hyo wanted to help but she could not. Even since she became Gary’s woman, she has quit from the bank and work as an admin executive at Bolin’s company. Gary wasn’t too happy with her working with Bolin but he felt more secure after Ji Hyo rejected Bolin’s confession in his presence.

Gary was exhausted physically and mentally by the project. He seldom talked to Ji Hyo. The time they spend together also become less. Instead Gary spend more time with Jessie, even on Saturd

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter