Zelo 94

B.A.P. Oneshots III

They say that a man who lies once was caught by surprise. They say that if he lies twice, he’s planning a surprise. But if he lies a third time, he’s definitely cheating on you.

            The first lie was when she found him sneaking into the house after hours. Junhong normally was home by nine, but this time, he stayed out. He hadn’t called but when she called him, everything went straight to voicemail. She had stayed up waiting for him and when he walked in at three, he had stayed he was working late. She found out later that he had a company dinner.

            The second lie was when he disappeared the whole of their anniversary. He had said he was going to go fishing with his friends, and acted like he forgot, but he came home with a bouquet in his arms and the prettiest set of promise rings. It was much, much later that she found out he had also made a detour.

            The third lie was when he went on a business trip. Normally, he would tell her at least a week in advance but this time, he told her two days before. His answers to her questions were dodgy and vague. When she found out the truth, she left him.

            He had met The Evil One at the company dinner. She worked for another faction of Junhong’s company and that first night they met, she kept him out until three in the morning. They say she’s charming, that she was a sophistication men couldn’t get enough of. But they also said that she was a delicately spun sweet, light and fluffy at first but too complicated to get out of.

            Apparently, Junhong had set their next date on their anniversary but was reminded by his friend of all people. Jongup had casually walked by and asked him just what he and his “sister-in-law” as they liked to joke, was doing on the anniversary. “Maybe rings were in the horizon?” the man had laughed.

            Because he was capable and lacked a moral conscience, Junhong was able to pretend that his disappearance was solely for preparation. But they had the first time that day. Right before he went to pick up the promise rings, The Evil One had told her, months later, over coffee. Junhong had left her too.

            The business trip had caught her by surprise so she decided she was going to ask his company. Junhong’s secretary was friends with her so told her everything. “There is no business trip, darling. Either your man is planning something up his sleeves, or you got yourself a runner.”

            It was simple. He didn’t even try to hide it. When he went to take a shower, she looked through his phone. There was the constant calling back and forth between him and someone marked in only initials. Their texts, were, shockingly explicit and left a blush on her cheeks.

            Just because she wanted to be sure, when he departed, she followed him. She didn’t quite know what she expected but they were open about the affair, or just not afraid of others seeing. The Evil One had greeted him the moment he walked up the driveway. From her glimpse of the older woman, she was glamorous.

            There was no true need for a confrontation, for an explanation that would only result in more lies, so she went home and made arrangements. There was the house they had been planning on buying. Thank goodness the bank hadn’t approved of the mortgage. She pulled out. The paperwork would get to him in a couple of days.

            It was easy to find a small studio near her work, cutting down her travel time by an hour. Her friends were supportive and she moved with an iron willed urgency because if she stopped and thought about things, she would break. She was allowed to break only at the end. She broke because she loved him and because she couldn’t believe that he didn’t care.

            His “business trip” took a week so she was able to move out completely and disappear without a trace. She changed her phone number, but kept his contact information because the sting hurts but it also reminds. She forgot about Jongup, and it was he who eventually convinced her to talk things out.

            “You don’t need to patch things up. Just talk to him because I think your relationship needs a closure.”

            Junhong didn’t give excuses. He accepted all of the accusations, and kept silent for the most part. That was nice of him to keep the few shreds of dignity he still had. When she told him that she had found out and followed him, he nodded.

            “I’m sorry. I hope you can live a happier life.”

            That was when she knew he didn’t love her. To him this breakup was inevitable. And so she started to heal. The Evil One thought that the two of them could start a club of “Women Junhong’s Hurt,” but as she pointed out to the dramatically crying woman when they did meet at the café, “It takes two to tango, and honey, you went with it.” There was no sympathy on her part.

            Soon life blurred together and the only reminder that Junhong ever existed in your life was the occasional prick at the heart when she scrolled through her contact list and went too slowly through J.

 

this is for prima99

I may not be updating tomorrow so happy holidays if I don't!