Yongguk 127

B.A.P. Oneshots III

            You felt two hands cover your eyes and before you could react a voice was already hissing in your ear, “Shh, if you make a sound, we’ll be found out.”

            A large smile made its way to your mouth and you bit on your bottom lip to keep it from spreading further. You made a tiny nod and he dropped his hands from your eyes and held your hand instead.

            You turned towards Yongguk and were met with his gigantic gummy smile. “Where are we going?”           

            “All the officials are gathering at the palace today and I have no desire to partake in politics. What do you say to a little dancing in the woods?”

            “Dance?” you laughed out loud. “Yongguk, I don’t dance.”

            “Well I, unfortunately, do. So, let me show you, Princess.”

            You shushed him. “Yongguk, don’t call me that.”

            His eyes hardened considerably. “Why? Because you’re not royal? It doesn’t matter. You’re worth ten times the other actual princesses. All they know is how to whimper and get everything handed to them on a silver platter. You have morals, and you know how to work to get what you need. I’m going to call you princess because you’re my princess.”

            You shook your head at his words, wanting to believe but knowing that would be too much of a dream. But you let him lead you down the path towards the forest anyway. The two of you have memorized the way to the clearing after years of using it as a hideout. Even though the trees blocked the majority of the sunlight and there was no distinct path, you still walked hand in hand.

            You heard the sound of rushing water before you reached the open meadow. Yongguk pulled you into him as you stared at the waterfall. “Do you remember how we met?”

            You were desperately trying to find the needle that had rolled off the banks and into the water. It was the only one you had and if you went home without the skirt finished, your mother was sure to punish you.

              All of a sudden, you felt two hands cover your eyes and then there was a voice by your ear. “Shh, if you make a sound, we’ll be found out.” Naturally, you had squeaked. Your little hands reached up to pull the offending human blindfold away.

            “Stop it!” you shouted shrilly. “I’m trying to look for my needle!”

            In front of you was a muddy boy, dressed in the gray that was typical of the palace servants and your nose wrinkled. Your mother had always warned you against playing with them. “You have more class than those servant boys. Make friends with the little ladies.”

            The boy was waving what looked exactly like the needle you were looking for and you reached for it. “Give that back!” you insisted. “That’s mine!”

            “Okay, okay. I will, but first be quiet! I’m going to be killed.”

            You clamped your hands over your mouth and followed him as he dropped down on the grass, pressing his body against the ground. You wanted to hit yourself on the head. All you wanted was a pretty, relaxing place to finish sewing, not to be a part of some murder conspiracy. You closed your eyes and prayed to every deity you knew to protect you, and the poor servant boy lying on the ground next to you.

            A few minutes passed and you didn’t hear anything. “Are we okay?” you whispered.

            He cocked his ear to the wind, listening carefully. “Get up slowly. I think we’re safe.”

            The two of you sat up and you smoothed your skirts as the boy handed you the needle. “My name is Guk. Who are you?”

            You had been hesitant to give your name but considering how he had just saved your life earlier, you told him. “Why are you here?” he asked, curiously looking at the skirt you were making.

            “My mom says every girl must be skilled at the arts, and this is one of them. So I have to make this before I can go home.”

            “Are you here often?” When you nodded, he smiled, a large, teeth and gum showing smile, that made your eight year old heart flutter. “Okay. I’ll see you then!”

            “It took forever for me to realize you were the Crown Prince,” you laughed as you recalled your past.

            Yongguk had his arms around you and had his head buried in your hair as he chuckled. “I remember you were so angry you threw your shoe at me. ‘But I thought you were a servant boy!’ You wouldn’t talk to me until I brought you rice cakes.”

            You played with his fingers and grinned. “We were so young back then. I can’t believe it’s been eleven years.”

            He kissed your cheek. “Times flies when you’re having fun.”

            That night, you looked at the scroll your mother had placed in front of you and knew that time was running out. You the nose on the paper, drawn so finely with the delicate calligraphy brush, then at the slanted eyes, staring fiercely out at you. They were nothing like the warm ones you had just looked away from.

            For a girl, nineteen was high time to get married, and your mother was thrilled when a court official’s son began courting you. You knew that before long, Yongguk would have his pick of princess brides to pick from. He was just living in an idealized world where the two of you would never have to separate, but you didn’t tell him that today was the last day.

            You cried yourself to sleep that night, and the next morning, your mother shook you awake. “We need to get you ready. The wedding is in a few hours.”

            She examined your face and clucked her tongue. “What have you been doing that your face is all swollen? Maids! Bring some lemon water, please.”

            You sat still throughout the six hours of preparation, willing yourself not to think of Yongguk. The ceremonial carriage was brought to your house and your mother straightened your dress. “Much better. Remember, be demure and take small steps.”

            The wedding of Official Park’s son with the mysterious lady drew attention from the courts and because Official Park was a national treasure, the Crown Prince himself attended the wedding. You could hear Yongguk talking, being greeted by all the other lords and ministers, and from under your veil, you forced yourself not to cry. Your time to cry was over.

            As the vows were over, and the ceremonial exchanging of bows ended, you heard Yongguk casually asking for who the bride was. “It’s been such a big mystery,” he laughed.

            You could only imagine his face when the answer came. There was a pause, filled up by the chatter of other guests, but you were only focused on him. Yongguk’s voice came out tightly strained. “He married her?”

            You could see his familiar shoes as you were escorted past him. You saw his hand come up and reach towards you from underneath your veil and then the hand dropped, and you determinedly forced yourself to put one foot in front of the other, and keep walking.

 

this is for blue-unicorn62442

Sorry. I had to do it...