Yongguk 148

B.A.P. Oneshots III

Yongguk was never one for verbal confirmation. He always believed that when one did their best, their hard work was bound to be recognized. Not that recognition was the goal. But there definitely would be acknowledgment. But he was still human, and when there was something he was extremely proud about, he found it difficult to word his excitement.

            This was probably one of the biggest turning points in his career. He was releasing a solo album, had co-written lyrics for one of the smash hits of the year and landed a position as a musical director for Seoul Fashion Week. These were all huge accomplishments, and while he wasn’t one to brag, he still wanted a little more than a nod of approval. Especially from his significant other.

            Yongguk peered from the edge of the door. He was nervous. He didn’t quite know how to tell her. It was so natural for him to tell her all that went on his life, but for some reason, this wasn’t coming out. He had told her he was working on an album, but didn’t quite share the details. The news about the Seoul Fashion Week, however, had been completely confidential until they were ready to announce the lineup. Even though the news would be broken out in two weeks, a part of Yongguk was eager to tell her first.

            His girlfriend was sitting at the dining table, fingers flying across her laptop as she typed out some important report or another. He could never make heads or tails of the long analysis she did on the current market trends. It was ridiculous, he scolded himself. He shouldn’t be feeling shy about his achievements to the one who supported him the most.

            “Babe,” he whispered. His voice came out low, a little raspy, and way too soft to be audible. She continued to type on, her brows creased in concentration. Yongguk paced around, chuckling in self-deprecation at his nervousness.

            With a deep breath, he walked out from the safety of the hallway. He slid into the chair across from her and waited for a reaction. She barely glanced up. “You’re home?” Even the words were said out of habit. Before he could answer, she was back to typing at superhuman speed.

            The sentences that were forming on his lips died at her disinterest. It wasn’t really her fault, he had to concede before he could feel too bad. She was busy and he was the one hemming and hawing away.

            “When do you think you’ll be done with your report?”

            She gave a slight hum in reply. Yongguk puffed his cheeks and played with his fingers nervously. “My album’s almost complete. There’s just one more song I want you to listen to. Tell me how you like the sound of it, and whether it’ll fit as the closing to the tracklist.”

            “Sure,” she glanced up briefly to flash him a quick smile. “But give me at least an hour. If you’re hungry, I think we still have some ramen packets.”

            It wasn’t that she didn’t care about him. No. That wasn’t the reason for her flippancy. It was just that she was busy. And Yongguk understood. Being someone who valued his work, he understood when it came first, beyond all things. It was only bothering him today because today, he actually was working up the nerve to say something he usually let the media share for him.

            “Yep, and if you listen to it, can you let me know if you think it’ll work as the background for the final show of Fashion Week?” He whispered the last part.

            “Mmm, will do.” And that was it for the reaction. Yongguk’s mouth physically fell open. Hurt clouded his features and he decided he was going to leave her alone to finish her work and his wounds. He quietly pushed the chair in. The wood made a tiny squeak but her eyes were still focused on her screen.

            A shower and a quick dinner of ramen later (he had made sure to leave a bowl by her mouse), Yongguk was still feeling down. He had his phone pour in with messages of congratulations from those who found out through the designer. He was grateful for every message, but he still stared longingly for his girlfriend to notice something.

            He let out a tiny sigh. It was nearing midnight. He shifted his pillow so that it was against the headboard and stared at the picture of the announcement poster. He debated for a few minutes before hitting the colorful square icon on his phone and uploaded the photo. It took him another few minutes to decide on a caption.

            Downstairs, there was shuffling and slow thuds on the wooden staircase. His favorite person shuffled into the doorway and stretched, phone in hand. Yongguk watched as her shirt rode over her stomach and her hair finally came out of its bun.

            “Sorry, Gukkie,” she murmured as she made her way next to him. She bent quickly to drop a kiss on his cheek. “I’m going to go shower, and then we talk.”

            He watched her bring her phone in and saw a green light blinking, indicating a notification. His eyes followed her a little sorrowfully. When he heard the water running, he let out a tiny sigh. Maybe it would be better if he just continued to work on his song instead.

            Ten minutes later, she came out. Warm humidity and the sweet scent of strawberries followed her. Yongguk finished adjusting some of the background instrumentals when he heard a hoarse scream.

            “Bang Yongguk!”

            By the time he looked up, there was a blur running towards him and pushing his laptop off and him against the blankets. Her body wash overwhelmed him and he ran his hands through her damp hair.

            She readjusted, planting a hand on the bed but not getting off him. She turned her phone to him. “What is this?” And there, on her screen, was his Instagram post. “‘I will be the music director for Seoul Fashion Week.’ How could you not have said anything?”
            Yongguk looked down, embarrassed and pleased by her long-awaited reaction. “I did. You were just too busy doing your work.” He pouted.

            His girlfriend placed her phone on the dresser and cupped his face in her hands. “Oh, baby, I’m so proud of you.” A bright smile spread across her face despite how tired she was. She leaned in and planted a loud kiss on his lips. “My talented, humble Gukkie.” She cooed when she pulled away.

            Shyness overwhelmed him and Yongguk let out half a cough, half a chuckle. “Do you still have time to listen to the last song? I want to use it as one of the tracks for the show too.”

            She laced her fingers through his and slid onto the bed but kept her legs perched on him. “Yes, of course. Anything for you.”

 

Sorry I've been so MIA! I actually have been posting a drabble prompt game on tumblr and I was thinking of posting them here in a compilation~

I have two more apps to finish up and then I'll be hearing back in the next few months so it's been a pretty hectic ride ♥

But I am so unbelievably proud of Yongguk for this and callmegran requested this on twitter so I couldn't help it