Daehyun 144

B.A.P. Oneshots III

            “Daehyun, let’s remarry.”

            The words hung in the air for all of three seconds in stunned silence before your husband took off his glasses and carefully folded his newspaper back to its original shape. “What?”

            “Let’s get remarried,” you repeated, sliding into the empty chair next to him.

He peered at you with confusion wrinkled in his brows. “To whom?” he asked, a little stupidly, endearingly so, in your opinion.

            “To each other!” As if there was ever any doubt, any question of this.

            At your words, relief smoothed out his features but amusement entered his eyes instead. “Is there something you really want to tell me? Did you think our first wedding wasn’t lavish enough?”

            “No, I just thought it would be nice to marry you again.” Your hands reached out to hold his warm ones.

            Daehyun chuckled as he tucked a loose strand of hair back against your ear. “Do you want a new ring too? What about a second proposal?” You could tell that he was still not taking you as seriously as you wanted him to. A smile still danced across his lips but the thought that you actually wanted this never seemed to be entertained.

            “Let’s have brunch in Rome then go to Paris for a sunset marriage. What do you think?”

            “R-Rome? Paris? Or we can always go to Jeju and really have our honeymoon.” He hesitated a little. “Our first one was kind of ruined considering how we already had a baby on board. Is that what’s bothering you?”

            You giggled as you slid closer to the love of your love. “No, silly. I love that we got married in a panic within weeks, love that we were already anticipating Jaylie. But I just think that now that the kids are out of the house, we should take off from work and really go somewhere together. And it’s our twentieth anniversary coming up. Wouldn’t you love to just travel?”

            “Honey, of course. It’s due time we went on a vacation with just the two of us. But why the remarriage?”

            You laced your fingers together and the sun glinted off your two matching wedding bands. “Because I fall in love with you every day and I’d like to repeat my vows again, but in a different place. Same person, different location.” You let your plans paint the air, letting the imagery sink in as you watched Daehyun in anticipation.

            He let out a tiny hum as he pulled you closer to kiss you. “Actually, baby, you’re right. I’d love that.” A smile spread across your face as you moved to sit in his lap, encircling your arms around his neck as the kiss deepened.

            The sun shone brightly in your eyes and crowds jostled the two of you against other sweaty bodies. But you didn’t mind. You were hand in hand with the person you loved most in the world and in about five more hours, you would be standing in front of the banks of the Seine River, in a new wedding dress, repeating your vows once more.

            Lunch had been a delicious affair, and now you were sporting the haziness of a food coma along with pure content. Daehyun gripped your hand tightly and you felt like you were eighteen again, young and thoroughly in love. It has been so long since you two had time for just the two of you, no kids to think about.

            “Here,” you opened your eyes and saw that Daehyun had placed the cone of gelato in front of you. “Wake up, darling. We can’t have you sleeping on the gondolas. You might fall off and there is no way I’d jump into these canals for you, second marriage or not.” But you knew he was joking because at your indignant pout, he leaned in to kiss it away.

            The gondolier gave you two a bright smile. “Honeymoon?” he asked.

            “Second one,” you held up two fingers and he wiggled his fingers.

            “Tanti auguri per una vita felice insieme!” Best wishes for a happy life together. You smiled happily at him as Daehyun laughed and gave his thanks. The Italian man blew you a kiss as you stepped out gingerly, holding tightly onto Daehyun’s hands as he steadied you. “Many blessings!”

            “Shall we head to Paris now? We have to get ready still, and there’s only five more hours until sunset.”

            You bit your lip and stared up at your husband. “I can’t believe I feel more nervous now than I did twenty years ago.”

            “Why?” he teased. “Scared that this time you’ll be making a serious mistake? This time you’ll be stuck with an aging forty year old.”

            “Please. It’s not like I’m getting any younger.” But it didn’t matter. Even now, Daehyun was as handsome, if not more so, as he was when you two were just starting out. He chuckled and gripped your hand tightly in his.

            “Let’s go.”

            The ride to Paris was peaceful. You stared out at the scenery, heart racing at the idea of getting into your dress, and then meeting Daehyun on the riverbank. There would be people and the beautiful Eiffel Tower twinkling behind you. It was everything out of a picture book, and you already had your Prince Charming.

            The two of you had splurged and you were standing amidst a group of professional makeup artists and hair dressers. They gave shouts of delight as you transformed under their skillful hands. “Belle princesse,” one of them exclaimed as she placed the band of diamond drops on your head.

            “You may go meet your Prince,” she smiled as she held your train carefully out of the way.

            It was breathtaking. The sun shone rose and orange hues across the deepening sky. The tip of the famed metal tower kissed the velvet dusk and spread light sparkles across the water. The background was gorgeous but your eyes were caught on the silhouette waiting for you. Daehyun leaned against the rails, playing nervously with his cufflinks.

            He hadn’t seen you yet but as you walked towards him, he raised his head slowly and you saw the pure look of adoration in his eyes. Tears threatened to fall as you picked up your pace. Your hands couldn’t join fast enough.

            Once you reached him, Daehyun pulled you in so that you were standing chest to chest, pressed against him. “You’re beautiful,” he whispered. You blinked, desperate to not have the tears ruin your makeup.

            “It’s okay, darling, you’re so gorgeous like this.”

            “We haven’t even said our vows and I’m already crying,” you mumbled, complaining a bit at the overwhelming emotion.

            There was a deep rumble in his chest against your ear as he laughed. “You know, with us, every diaper change, every exasperated eye roll, and every quiet moment spent together are our vows. Happy twentieth, love.”

            He spread your fingers so that they lay against his, palms open. Your matching wedding bands shone together and you rested your head against his chest, one arm wrapped tightly around his waist. “I’ll marry you again when we’re sixty. Once every twenty years.”

            Daehyun placed a gentle kiss on your forehead and you closed your eyes. You never thought about going back to your twenties, and only looked forward to growing old with the love of your life. It had been an amazing two decades, and, when your lips touched his, you knew that the next twenty would be just as wonderful.

 

It has been so long since I've written something I felt this strongly about. I love him so so much and I may or may not have teared up writing this. ♥