I'll be okay...

The Teacher-Student Marriage

“My man looks so hot.”

 

You were teasing him and he knew it. He shot you an angry glare before throwing his tie onto the couch and crossing his arms in front of his chest. He could be so stubborn from time to time, but this time it only made you like him more. He was wearing a suit, the last time you had seen him wearing one you two had been into a massive fight. This time you could look at him shamelessly, without having to make an excuse. You laughed and walked over to him, grabbed his tie and motioned he had to come over to you. 

 

“I don’t want to go. I have no idea what to say to those parents, I always have the feeling that each time I say the same thing as I said last time. Why do they still organize nights like these? It’s a waste of time and energy.” 

 

It was clear he was grumpy, but nothing of what he said could ruin your mood for tonight. Tonight you were going to make things up with your best friend and you’d finally make things up so that you could put your life on the right track again. Your parents might not accept things which were going on right now but by now you had accepted that. If they didn’t want to be a part of your life anymore and the one of their grandchild then that was their loss, not yours. You were going to make something great out of the life you still had, and you were going to start with that today. 

 

Away with that bad energy, it was time for you to live your life to the fullest with the people around you who you really cared about and who truly cared about you. Since your parents couldn’t even handle with the shame if your being pregnant at eighteen, because it would ruin the careers, that meant they didn’t belong with those people. You hadn’t exactly chosen to become pregnant, but now that you were getting further and things were staring to get better you were getting excited. You wanted people to know, wanted to tell them and share your happiness. 

 

“It’s important for parents to know how their children did in school. This time it’s even more important because it’s the last time you’ll see them before the finals start next week. They need to know how their child results are so they can prepare for the worst. Maybe they’ll already figure out right now their kid will be held back. But how can they know if you don’t tell them? Even if you always say the same, at least you tell the truth and you let them know what their chances are.” 

 

He looked down on your while you fixed his tie and rolled his collar around it. You always noticed how handsome he was, but if he looked like this he seemed as if he had just stepped out of your TV screen. Even though he looked great right now you liked him even more if he had the sleeves of his shirt rolled up and when his hair was a mess. For some reason that made him look more real, but surely not less hot. Which girl wouldn’t fall for him? But then still, dating a student was so wrong, making her pregnant even more, but what could still be done about it? 

 

Baekhyun nodded and then seemed to remember something. His face fell and he grabbed your hands so you couldn’t mess with his shirt anymore. He avoided your eyes as he wrapped his arms around you and pulled you in for a look. This way, you felt as if you could stand here forever. You felt as if you meant something in this big world, as if you were someone important to someone else. But after seeing the look on his face you couldn’t just let this pass and you sadly enough had to ruin the moment. 

 

“What’s wrong?” You asked and he sighed. 

 

“You know your parents will be coming too right? They’re interested in their daughters grades. How should I act towards them? They hurt you and shut you out, why would they still come tonight after everything that happened between us? Do they really expect me to pretend as if nothing happened?” 

 

That were a lot of questions, but for all of them you had the same answer. You weren’t sure if he’d like that answer but it was the best thing you’d be able to say to cheer him up and to keep yourself at the promise you’ve made to yourself. It was time to move on, you were no longer going to let the bad things in. If there were people who decided they wanted to ruin your life, then they had to try that but you were no longer going to let them succeed in that. It was your life, and you were going to live it to the fullest. 

 

“Yes, they will expect you to pretend as if nothing happened, and that’s exactly what you’re going to do. Because no matter what happened between us, in the first place you’re still my teacher. You’re responsible for me in school and so you’ll have to act like it. If they start about what happened, that’s exactly what you’ll tell them. Today they’ll be there to talk about my grades, not about us. Besides, isn’t it their fault we got caught up in all of this?” 

 

Baekhyun nodded, knowing you were right. You wondered since when you had turned into such a wise person who knew how to do the right things. Not so long ago you had been able to mess up every relationship you had and you had almost had yourself killed. You had come from far so the only thing that could happen now was that things would get better. He smiled at you and put his forehead against yours before gazing into your eyes. Since when had your relationship become like this? You had no idea but you really liked it. 

 

“You’re right, again.”

 

He pecked your lips before letting go of you and walking over to the table to grab his bag. It was the only thing that didn’t fit in the picture and that was that stupid school back. If he hadn’t had that with him people could believe he was a gangster or a secret agent, walking around in a suit at this hour of the day. But that bag just ruined everything, the whole effect was gone in a second. He checked his tie and hair once more before walking back to you and giving you another kiss. 

 

“Good luck with Elena today. I don’t know what you’re going to tell her, but I’m sure you’ll do the right thing.” He said and you nodded. 

 

“And take care of my little one.” 

 

He pointed to your stomach, although there was still nothing to be seen. You rolled your eyes at him and began to push him towards the door. You still got three more pecks before he finally closed the door behind himself and left you alone in the apartment. It was always so strange to be here without Baekhyun. It would be so silent without him, no one who would irritate you or who would make you want to pull your hair out. No one who would rush out of the room to give you a kiss or who would come to sit next to you on the couch to cuddle with you because he was bored. 

 

It was so weird to think where the two of you had come from and had been through and after all your relationship had still been able to survive and had been able to turn into something to amazing. You had hated each other, could’ve eaten each other at the beginning. You had slept on the couch, while he had demanded to have the bed. The two of you had fought and yelled at each other, had accused each other of the worst things. 

 

You still remember the first time he had ever shown you that somehow he seemed to care for you. The day when he had made you walk to school without a cellphone, when the weather gods had decided to turn your day into a mess after letting it rain on you. You had been totally drenched when you had reached the school and that was when Baekhyun had found you. That had been the real step for the two of you into a real relationship. Then Baekhyun had confessed to you but you had been to scared to do something, while you had been locked up in that room. 

 

There were some times the two of you had been through you just didn’t want to remember anymore, because they had been so bad. You were just so happy you had gotten through all of them and were now able to built things up into a beautiful relationship. Your heart made a little jump when you heard the bell rang and you knew Elena had arrived. It had been a very good idea for the two of you to let her come over at your place. Her parents were very sweet people but had a habit of minding everyone’s business a little bit too much. The thing that Baekhyun had to be in school tonight only made things easier for you. Now you wouldn’t immediately have to explain why he was here with you.

 

You walked towards the door where Baekhyun had disappeared through only ten minutes before. He would also talk to her parents tonight, would she be angry if she heard you already knew what he was going to say against them. You understood not everyone would like it if their best friend dated their teacher, there were some things that just weren’t fair. But it wasn’t like he’d ever give you the right answers for a test or something, no, he enjoyed it too much to see you study. You knew a lot of people would think that about this kind of relationships, that was also the reason why they were forbidden, but your relationship with Baekhyun was different, not that they would ever understand. 

 

When you opened the door you found Elena at the other side of it. You smiled at her and she did the same, but the atmosphere felt tensed and awkward. A lot of things had changed, you realized and it would never be the same again since you had both become different persons after all of this. But the least you could do was try to make it possible again for the two of youth talk to each other like normal people, so that you could built up a friendship again. She had tried before, but back then you had refused her effort to make it up with you. You hoped that she wouldn’t do the same to you today, because maybe you had deserved that. 

 

You stepped aside to let her in, normally if she had come over you’d hug and cheerfully greet each other, already gossiping before she had even gotten inside. Now it seemed the two of you had become to mature for that, you had both moved past that. She still knew her way through the apartment and found her way towards the couch where she sat down and faulted her hands inside of her lap. She looked like a young woman if she sat there like that, you felt proud of her. This made you believe that there was room for a real conversation, that you were both ready for this. 

 

Maybe it had been a good thing the two of you hadn’t made it up back then, because now seemed the right time. You had both given everything that had happened a place and had proved that you were ready to take each other back into your lives. She had proved that by hugging you a few weeks ago, you had proved that by calling her. You looked rather for a second before reminding yourself you were being rude and you quickly smiled at her. 

 

“Would you like something to drink?”  You asked and she nodded. 

 

“Water will be okay, thanks.” 

 

You raised your eyebrows at her and suddenly broke out into a laugh, she soon followed. You sounded like two old ladies who came together twenty years after you had last seen each other, it was ridiculous. The two of you laughed at the stupid situation you had gotten in before you got towards the kitchen to get her water. You brought some for yourself and then sat down beside her on the couch. You were happy you were sitting on the couch and not at the table, that made it more comfortable. The question was, would you still be as happy after you had told her that there wouldn’t be a table in between the two of you? 

 

“Seems like we got caught up in a very ty situation.” She said and you nodded. 

 

I called you because I hoped we could end this.” 

 

You pointed in between the two of you, letting her now it was the distance in between the two of you that you were talking about. You didn’t want that anymore, you wanted her to be your best friend again who knew everything about you and who you could tell anything to. You were tired of the distance that had taken place in between the two of you, you wanted to go back to how it used to be. And if that wouldn’t be possible then you’d want to start over, so that a friendship could grown again between the two of you. You were going to say a lot of shocking things to her today, things that could ruin your friendship forever but then at least you had been honest. 

 

“Yeah, that would be very nice.”  She said and you took a deep breath before starting. 

 

“tThe thing is that I haven’t been totally honest against you. I realize that the reason we got into this fight is my fault because you knew I wasn’t honest. I should have told you from the very beginning what was the real problem instead of lying about it because I was too embarrassed to say it.” 

 

She frowned, as if she had to think very hard how this fight had started again. But you both knew not what, but who had caused the two of you to grow apart. It was every since Elena had started to hang out with Hana that you two had started to fight, until the bomb had exploded and your phone had crashed a few times. You smiled at the thought and looked over at your phone which was still in a good state since the time you had gotten it. Elena looked at you and waited for you to continue. 

 

“The fact it that when you started to become friends with Hana, everything changed. I lied to you about her because the truth it I already know Hana much longer then you can realize. In fact, Hana was once my best friend, but surely not anymore as you may have noticed. But there’s a good reason for that and I feel bad because I’ve never told you.” 

 

She frowned again, as if she had a hard time with following what you were saying. But if she was already having a hard time now then this wasn’t going to get much easier for her when you went on. But then you threw it all out, you finally told her the story you should have told her the first moment you had met her. Her face changed from expression during the conversation. It went from angry, to irritated, to say and back to angry. But the fact was you had no idea who that anger was pointing to, it could been towards Hana but it could also be towards you. 

 

“How could she do something like that to you? She was your best friend!” She yelled in anger and you sighed. 

 

“I don’t know…”

 

“And how could it be that you’ve never told me that? You should be feeling so bad right now!” 

 

“I know that though…” 

 

Then she let out a big sigh and all the anger that had been inside of her eyes flowed away. She seemed to feel pity for you and bit her lip. She shook her head in disbelieve as if she suddenly remembered something. You waited for her to say something, because you were sure everything about this topic was said, seemed like for her that wasn’t the case. After taking a sip of her water she looked at you and her face seemed serious, as if she didn’t want you to take this lightly. She was so angry at you, she’d probably leave for you not telling her such an important thing as this. 

 

“It’s not entirely your fault though. I still remembered how I called you and told you that you had to leave Hana alone, that she was my new best friend and she was a good person. Maybe if I had let you talk back then, maybe then you would’ve told me. But I was so angry, I probably wouldn’t have believed you if you had told me back then and just the thought of that makes me feel bad. You were my best friend and I had replaced you just like that.” She shook her head out of guilt. 

 

The two of you fell silent, both thinking back about how this whole situation had started. It was for sure now that you should’ve just been honest, but if she wouldn’t have believed you back then, what for use would it have been? It was true you weren’t the only guilty one in this case and Elena had done the right thing to apologize to you. Maybe this was the moment the two of you could start over and leave all the other things behind. You wouldn’t want anything different than that, you wanted your best friend back. 

 

“There’s something else though.” You said and she gave you a suspicious look. 

 

“I have a boyfriend…” 

 

opened as if she wanted to say something, but then she closed it again. Now all the pieced probably fell on its place in her mind. Why you had acted so weird and why you hadn’t spend that much time with her anymore. That still didn’t explain why you hadn’t told her this before and why you had kept it a secret for so long. You could see she was preparing herself for something bad, as she looked at you with big eyes. She already knew that what you were going to tell her now wasn’t something she had heard before. You just hoped she wouldn’t be too shocked. 

 

“Who is it?” She asked carefully and you took a deep breath. 

 

“It’s Byun Baekhyun, our teacher.” 

 

This was the moment of truth, now you’d find out how other people would react if you’d tell them. Of course Elena wasn’t just someone. This was the moment she would come back to you or you would lose her forever. If it was even possible, her eyes became even bigger and you were afraid they were going to fall out of her face. hung slightly open and several expression passed her face. She seemed completely out of her mind, but you did understand her reaction. That had been your reaction when your parents had told you that you had to marry this guy. Then a look of curiosity took it all over and she leaned forward. 

 

“I want to know every single detail. As your best friend, I have to know everything.” She said and you smiled. 

 

“My parents called me one morning and said they had a surprise for me. They said they had found someone they wanted me to marry with. I wasn’t very excited, but then I saw who they had picked out. If I tell you my reaction was the same as yours just now that must say enough. Baekhyun seemed just as shocked to see me, realizing I was one of his students. It was against the law for a teacher to have a personal relationship with one of his students, he knew what he’d risk but he was afraid to so no against my parents.” 

 

“At the beginning things between us were horrible. My parents gave us this apartment, the reason why I had to leave my place I owned with you was not because I had to live with my brother but because I had to get to know my future husband. I couldn’t tell you because I was scared for your reaction and if someone would find this out we’d both be screwed. Besides, I was convinced things would end fast between the two of us. We only fought and we were the complete opposite of each other. It was clear that he hated me and I hated him as well. I though that this whole thing would end as quickly as it had begun. But I seemed to be wrong with that.”

 

“Baekhyun fell for me, and I can’t deny I had feelings for him as well. So we gave into it and became a couple, trying to keep everything hidden. But then Hana came, she didn’t only cause problems between me and you but also between me and Baekhyun. I was angry at him for picking his side but eventually we made it up. Then Jongdae came, and he pretty much messed up the whole thing. Then I got into that accident and things seemed unfixable between the two of us. But then I did the most stupid thing a girl of my age can do…” You stopped and Elena took a deep breath. 

 

“You slept with him didn’t you?” She asked and you nodded. 

 

“And now I’m pregnant…” 

 

She took a sharp breath, not expecting this twist in the story. She looked at you as if she had no idea what to say first, because there were so many things she wanted to say. She probably wanted to scold you for being so stupid and for not telling her. You had no idea what was going through he mind right now and you stared at her while waiting. There were no more secrets now, all your cars were on the table and she could look at them, and it made you feel much better. Yuri had ben a nice friend for you too, but Elena had known you your entire life, it was different to tell this to her. 

 

“I can’t believe you’ve had to keep this to yourself all this time. That must have been so hard, not being able to talk about it to anyone.” She then said and you shot her a sad smile. 

 

She leaned over to you and wrapped your arms around you, giving you a tight hug. How much you had longed for something like this from her. You hugged her back and enjoyed the moment of peace that slipped over you two. You had no idea how long the two of you sat there, but suddenly you heard a door open. You both jumped and looked towards the direction where the sound had come from. Baekhyun looked from you to Elena and back, wondering if he had just destroyed a perfect moment. But then you smiled at him and he seemed to relax. 

 

“Elena…”  He greeted her awkwardly and she smiled at him. 

 

“I finally know who has captured the heart of my best friend. I’m sure that hasn’t been easy.” 

 

“You should know what I’ve been through…”  He joked and you rolled your eyes at him. 

 

“If you break her heart though, I’ll break your face.” 

 

Her facial expression was serious and you looked over at Baekhyun with an amused expression. He nodded at her and quickly made the promise he’d never hurt you. Then he excused himself and walked off towards your bedroom. He was always the same gentleman, wanting to give the two of you the space and time you needed.The two of you talked a little longer, this time about the baby. She wanted to know everything, if you already knew the gender, if you had already thought of names, if you were excited. Time flew while talking like this and at the end you felt as if your chest was 100 pounds lighter. 

 

You were so happy that you could finally talk about this to someone who seemed at ease with talking about it, someone else than Baekhyun or his parents. You felt as if you were no longer standing alone, and as if you had someone to fall back on now. It would take some time before everything would be back to normal, but eventually all the pieces would be picked up and you were sure you could glue them back together. The school year was almost over, after a while you and Baekhyun could live together without worrying about anything. Then you’d let people judge you, you wouldn’t care what they’d think, as long as you were happy. 

 

“I should probably go now, before my parents will start to think that you killed me or something.” She said and you both laughed. 

 

You walked her towards the door and knew that from today on she’d be standing here in front of your door more often and you were so glad with that. Slowly you’d become best friends again and for the first time in a long time you seemed to look forward to what the future would bring. If you and Baekhyun would decide to marry now, you’d have a bridesmaid,maybe two if Yuri wanted to be one as well. You opened the door and wondered about what to say to her, but it seemed as if she knew that much better than you, so you let her take the lead. 

 

“I’ll see you soon. Goodnight Baekhyun!” 

 

“Bye Elena, thanks for stepping by!” 

 

She gave you one more hug before you closed the door behind her. A smile was glued onto your face and you felt as if you could handle the world. You walked back towards the living room and saw Baekhyun walking towards you, a grin on his face. Without saying anything he wrapped his arms around you and pulled you against him, another thing you were grateful for today. He kissed your forehead and then looked down on you with a pleased expression. It almost seemed as if he was happier with the fact you and Elena had made up than you are yourself. 

 

“What?” You asked while laughing and he shrugged. 

 

“I’m just happy for you that’s all. I could see how you hated the thought that you didn’t have any support now that your parents left you. I think having Elena back into your life will be good for you. I’m so proud of you.” 

 

You smiled at him and pushed yourself tighter against him. You laid your ear against his chest and listened to the soft beating of his heart. No, your life was not perfect and it would never be, but for now it was all you had ever wanted it to be. You had a wonderful boyfriend, a great best friend and inside of you was growing the most adorable little gift you’d ever get. You had come from far but today you could say with surety that everything was going to be okay, you were going to be okay…