Who Will We Pick?

The Teacher-Student Marriage

“Relax okay, it’ll all be fine. You’re probably making it worse than it actually is.”

The only thing you could do was shoot him a glare and try to ignore everything he had just said. It was all easy to say, and it was all easy for him. But if he was standing in your shoes right now than he would think totally different of this situation and he probably wouldn’t be this calm himself. This wasn’t something that would just be handled in a few minutes, this would probably take ages and it wasn’t like you had that much time.

He was sitting beside you on the couch and was holding your hand. His fingers were white from your squeezing and there was probably no more blood inside of his veins there. It must be a horrible feeling for him but there was no chance that you were going to let go of his hand. Your eyes nervously slipped around the room and every minute they landed on the clock against the wall in front of you. Time didn’t seem to pass and each time you saw the pointer got closer to the twelve your heart began to beat a little bit faster. For a moment you were afraid it was going to burst out of your chest and that it would land on the floor, beating in its fast rhythm.

“Hey, It’s going to be okay. And even if it’s not, we’ll be just fine right? You just have to try and stay calm. It’s not good for you to be stressed and it’s not good for the baby.”

Baekhyun placed his fingers under your chin and tried to turn your head into his direction so that he could look you in the eyes. But you patted his hand away and you heard how it landed back onto his lap with a little plop. The last thing you were into right now was him trying to cheer you up since you knew it wasn’t going to help anyway. There was only one way that you could get through this and that was by just facing it. No soothing words were going to help you to make this better and so you didn’t even want to hear them. For a moment you felt sorry about acting this way but the feeling quickly disappeared again when you looked back at the clock.

Baekhyun didn’t say anything and just kept holding your hand and rubbing circles on the hand of your back with his thumb. By now he was already used by your mood swings and he knew it was because of the hormones. It wasn’t like he liked it all the time because you could be a real Meany sometimes, but he understood that this wasn’t really something you could help. So he never said anything about it and then he quickly noticed that you’d be back to your old self in a small amount of time. So that was what he did right now, he didn’t say anything and hoped that this mood swing would pass just as fast as the others.

In fact he was just as nervous as you were and the adrenaline was rushing through his veins. But he knew that he had to seem calm and he had to be the one to be strong right now. He didn’t only have to be for himself but especially for you. If he was going to freak out too then you’d probably go insane and you’d be upset, and he didn’t want that. So he tried to steady his breath and he did his best to control his heart beat while waiting for the visit to arrive. It was almost three o’clock, the hour they had said they would come over. On one side he was excited to see them again, on the other hand he wanted to lock himself into the bathroom and not come out again until they were gone.

“Baekhyun-ah…”

Your voice was only a whisper as you pointed towards the window and you could both see that a car stopped on the drive way. There it was, there was no more turning back right now. He took a deep breath before popping out a smile and leaning in to give you a peck on the cheek. It was meant to be a sweet gesture but you didn’t even look up at him. Your eyes were a staring straight at the people who were stepping out of the car, there were three of them. This weren’t the ones who made your stomach turn, these ones weren’t your biggest problem. But beside you, Baekhyun began to swallow loudly and you could feel his hand getting sweaty in yours. He was just as scared as you were, and it made you feel a little bit better.  

“I’ll go let them in, I’ll be right back.”

When he stood up you felt the urge to pull at his shirt and make him sit back on the couch. You didn’t want him to let go of you, you didn’t want him to leave you alone. You were afraid that if he’d be out of sight you would break down and you’d have to give into your fears. The last thing you wanted to do was seem weak, but that was all you were at this moment. As his hand slipped out of yours the only thing you could do was stare at him and watching him walk out of the room and turning around the corner to go to the hallway. Instead your hands grabbed a pillow that was lying on the couch and you locked it tightly into your arms and pulled it against your chest.

It gave you a strange feeling of warmth and you tried to hold yourself up on that. If they came in they would immediately read on your face that something was going on. They’d notice how tensed Baekhyun was and they’d see your expressionless face that was pale. But they would ask you straight away what it was, they weren’t like that. They would be nice and friendly, trying to pretend as if they didn’t notice anything. It was meant as a nice thing but it would only make you more nervous. You just wanted to get it over with and to get rid of the feeling that someone was pinching your throat so that you couldn’t breathe or swallow.

Footsteps resounded through the house and you could hear soft voices speaking. They were in, they were here. In front of you the pointed of the clock finally landed on the number twelve and you felt as if you could break down crying every second. Your eyes were already feeling wet when you saw the first feet appearing from around the corner where Baekhyun had just disappeared behind. There she was, pretty and gracious as always. Baekhyun’s mother was a very sweet woman and always wanted the best for her son. She was very caring and she liked you, which was already a good start.

She was followed by a man with dark brown hair, that dark that it could almost be called black. He was wearing glasses and it made him look very clever, almost like a professor or a scientist. His father had a soft and plain smile lingering on his face and he seemed relaxed and calm. He always had this kind of aura around him and he could affect people with it, he was a nice guy. He liked to know all the troubles his son was going through and always wanted to solve them for him. He wanted his son to have a carefree life and he wanted him to be happy.

The last person that walked into the room was Baekhyun’s older brother. He had his arm wrapped around Baekhyun and had a playful expression on his face. They had always been able to get along very well and he adored your cooking. He sometimes came over and joined you for dinner. Out of his family it was him you liked the most and it was him you saw the most. He had a very close band with his little brother and he couldn’t want anything to happen to him. They were very protective over one another and it almost seemed as if that was the same for you. Baekhyun’s brother always watched out over you, it was as if you were already his little sister.

“Heeri, darling! How are you doing? It’s been such a long time ago, much too long even. It’s so nice from you that you asked us to come over. We’ve been looking forward to our visit.”

His mother came over and gave you a big hug. She smelled really nice and her hair that slightly rubbed against your skin was very soft. The man never came closer to you but Baekbum lifted his hand and gave you an excited wave with a big grin onto his face. You cracked out a nervous smile and shove aside so that they had some room to sit. Baekbum was the one who sat down beside you and he wrapped an arm around your neck and began to talk to you about all kind of things and all kind of stories. Your shoulders relaxed as you listened to him and you felt your heart beat slow down. His voice had that kind of effect on you.

Baekhyun remained standing as he watched you and his brother talking to another as if you had known each other forever. When he saw the little smile appear on your face he could finally bring himself to calm down a little. You looked comfortable and that was the most important thing to him. His parents were here, after having to miss them for four months. He should be happy and excited, and deep inside he was, but he wasn’t able to show it. He was the only one who saw that a second car parked next to the one of his parents. His eyes slipped to you but you were too busy with Baekbum to even notice and he decided not to tell you.

He sneaked backward on the tops of his toes and went back to the hallway, leaving you to talk with his family. He reached the door before they had the chance to ring the bell and brought his hand up towards the handle. His fingers were shaking and he wondered for who he was more nervous. He shook his head and pushed the question away before grabbing the door handle and opening the door. There they were, dressed neatly as always and their phones ready to be answered in the pockets of their pants. Your parents didn’t fail to scare him each time they were standing in front of him and he tried to pop out a smile.

“Baekhyun, son. How are you?” Your dad asked.

“I’m good sur, thank you. Please come in.”

He stepped aside so that your parents could come in and he knew they’d head straight to their daughter. You were still talking when you saw two figures walk into the room and you stiffened. You hadn’t seen them arriving, neither had you heard Baekhyun open the door. Baekbum released his arm around you and laid it on the back of the couch. He seemed relaxed and didn’t have any problem with the fact that your parents were also coming over for a visit. He wasn’t suspecting anything at all. But out of the corners of your eyes you could see Baekhyun’s parents straighten up and they were growing a little suspicions. And so were your parents when they saw they weren’t the only ones that were invited to come over.

“Ohw, what a nice surprise.” Your mom said, but you could see she didn’t mean it.

“Please make yourselves at home, I’ll get something to drink.”

You stood up from the couch and began to wiggle into the kitchen. Baekhyun followed behind you and closed the door so that you two had a little more privacy. It was weird to leave the two families all by themselves there because they had never really gotten the chance to talk to each other before. Who knew if they’d start fighting with another in no time, but for now it stayed silent at the other side of the door. They were probably feeling awkward around each other, which was quite normal.

“Do you think they might kill each other?” Baekhyun asked and you smiled a little.

“If they would then our problem would be solved as well.”

Baekhyun sniffed softly before walking over to where you were standing. You were filling glasses with water and placed them on a plate so they could all be carried out in once. Because of your shaky hands a few drops of water landed beside the glass and it caused you to make a bit of a mess. Baekhyun placed his hands on your shoulders and you put down the can on the counter. You stood there like that for a while before he finally spoken up.

“You should know that no matter what happens between these walls today, I will always stand by your side.”

His voice was soft and tickled the skin near your neck. It was today that you had planned to tell your families about your pregnancy and none of you knew how they were going to react on it. This could go either ways and one was more wanted than the other. But you had two families to pleasure and it wasn’t going to be easy to get both of them on the same side. They both had other desires and if you would fill one of them you’d probably fail to fill the other. It was a hard decision, you had to pick one family to band yourselves to and to relay on during this hard period.

It was going to be your family or his and it was going to be a hard choice. Even though your parents hadn’t always been there for you, you didn’t want to lose the hope that once your band would be strengthened. It wasn’t a secret that your parents had more money than his and that they’d be able to help you out with that. But Baekhyun and his family were close and they loved each other. He’d be devastated if he’d have to separate from them and if they’d get caught up in a misunderstanding. They were nice people and they’d offer you all the help you needed during your pregnancy.

“I know you will.”

You turned around to face him and grabbed him hand in yours. You looked down on your hands and played with his fingers for a while. He sighed and laid one of his hands on the small of your back before pulling you closer to his chest. It was nice to have him here, you wouldn’t be able to do this by yourself. You put your cheek on his chest and enjoyed that last moment of peace you had for today. The hope that you could keep both families on your side was still lingering around in your body. It was filling your veins and keeping you from falling apart right there and now.

“I love my family and even though you don’t seem willing to admit it, I know you love yours too. But as far as I know your parents love their daughter and mine love their son. Maybe there is a chance that we can convince them all and that we’ll be able to make them all happy. But even if we don’t, I’ll really try to keep your parents from…” You stopped him by putting two fingers on his lips.

“And as far as I know you love your parents to death. I still remember the first time I asked you about them, I can still remember that sparkle in your eyes. You love your parents and you love your brother. You need them and I understand. You should try to make your parents chose our side, I think that’s the best for all of us.”

That wasn’t the truth, instead you were saying what was the best for HIM. But you were willing to believe that the best for him was also the best for you. In this part of life you had to make decision, ones that could change your life forever. But you were able to say that you had gotten used to that by now.