Chapter 51

The Teacher-Student Marriage

The both of you looked into each other’s eyes before you looked up at Baekhyun and shot him a glare. He only smiled a little, but you could see that he was laughing with your situation. He only had to wait until you were home, you would beat him up. You crossed your arms over your chest and leaned back in your chair, trying to ignore your partner as she leaned forward in her seat, doing the complete opposite of you. This was typically something that could only happen to you, surely after what had happened in the hallway a few minutes before.

“Okay, name tags have decided your fate of who you’re paring up with for your next task. I’m sure there isn’t anyone who has any problems with his partner because it’s also important that you learn that you have to be able to pair up with everyone. Even if you don’t like them. Please do your best for this task because it counts for a lot of marks for your final result this year. Good luck!”

God he was so damn y when he spoke in that teacher language of his, it made you feel intimidated. He caught you staring at him while biting your lip, your eyes longing for him. He rolled his eyes before coming over and handing you a paper. You and Hana both raised your hands at the same time to take it from him and you glared at each other. Still you were the first one who gave in and let your hand down, dropping it flat on the wooden table the two of you were shearing.

“Have fun ladies.” You could hear the smile in his voice and wanted to throw something to his head.

“So, do you have an idea of how we’re going to do this?”

There you go, she wanted to take the paper and that just turned her into the leader of this damn teamwork. Well, that wasn’t how this was going to work and you weren’t going to do everything by yourself, because that was what she was planning to make you do. Slowly you loosened your gaze from her face and told yourself to calm down. You were stuck with her anyway, you could better make the best of it and make sure you’d have a good grade.

“I don’t know, we can go either way with this. It’s an idea that gives you very many options… But I say that we do something different. Something that no one has ever done before. We don’t want people to forget about this but to remember it as the best ending work task anyone has ever made.”

For the first time she actually seemed to be listening very interested to what you were telling her and then she nodded. She just made you clear that she thought you were right. The two of you actually just agreed about something, well that was a first. The two of you began to discuss your ideas and came to the conclusion that it shouldn’t be a normal presentation. Since the topic was ‘world peace’ that would be as normal as could be, and you didn’t want normal. It had to stand up and seem different from what others did. You were sure James was going to do a presentation with his partner.

“We should do something creative. What do you think about a drawing or something?”

“Can you draw?” Hana’s nose twitched at your question.

“Okay, maybe that isn’t the best idea…”

The two of you had been sitting beside another without yelling and fighting for almost ten minutes, that was a new world record. For now you still didn’t need to suppress the feeling of wanting to hit her in the face and since this were also her points it didn’t seem as if she was going to ruin this for you. If this was over you would go back to ignoring each other again like this had never happened, you were sure of that. You knew what Baekhyun was trying to do, but it wasn’t going to work. It would take more than a group work for the two of you to make up. Too much had happened.

“We could do something with pictures, make a collage of a lot of people…”

“We can do that. We can all ask them what world peace means to them and we can ask them for a picture. Then we can explain what they said with those pictures.”

It wasn’t as hard as you had thought to find an idea that you both liked and you quickly began to work it out. Hana told you that she had the skills to talk to strange people and you said that you had a camera at home that you could use to take the pictures with. After putting the whole plan down on the piece of paper in front of you it turned silent at your corner of the classroom. Everybody was still busy with discussing and trying to find a good idea. It seemed like you two were the first ones to be ready with this.

There wasn’t really anything else you wanted to talk about with her, but this silence just made you feel super awkward and you could see it was doing the same with her. For years you had been busy hating each other and making each other’s lives miserable while you had once been best friends. It was just weird because you knew how it had been and how it was now, and that it was a very big change. Today you still wondered, what had happened? What had made the two of you turn into the way you were now? Why had she stolen Sehun from you? Why was she being so cruel towards you?

For all this time there had only one reason you had thought of, and that was that she had just been jealous at you. She had liked Sehun, but she couldn’t have him and you did. She wanted to have rich parents, but her parents couldn’t get a job like your parents had one. She wanted to have the friends that you had, but for one reason or another they had chosen you instead of her. That was why it had to be jealousy, how could it possibly be something else? But you weren’t in the mood to ask her about it right now, you just wanted this to be over and done so that you could go back to ignoring her.

“I can’t believe Byun songsaengnim actually put us together. Everybody can see that we don’t talk to each other so why would he do something like this?” Hana started and you rolled your eyes.

She wasn’t saying what she was actually thinking, you knew it. If she had done that she would have said: ‘Everybody can see that we hate each other.’ Instead of ‘Everybody can see that we don’t talk to each other.’ But you understood, this group work had to come to an end without you pulling out each other’s hair so she was also trying to keep it in. At first you didn’t say anything and you looked around the room where the others were all writing down on their piece of paper. But then you seemed to find your words and you spoke up.

“Maybe he also realizes that what is going on between us two is idiotic. Everybody knows we have once been friends and everybody knows a lot of things have happened. But no one believes that what happened actually lead us to this.”

Your words made her turn silent and for a moment you could see her look soften before it hardened again and she just shrugged her shoulders as if she didn’t care about what you had just said. But you knew that in fact she did. You knew that she was thinking the exact same thing as you. By this time you had found out one big thing and that was that actually you and Hana were very much alike. Your brains functioned in the same way. It was as if you could read her thoughts by letting your owns flow and it was almost scary.

“How did it become like this? Why did what happened happen?”

With this question you stared at the sight of her head. She was looking straight on front of her, not trying to look at you but you knew that she could see you looking at her. For a while you were sure she wasn’t going to answer your question but then she turned around in her chair and made eye contact with you. She looked tired and her eyes seemed a little down. Almost you’d feel sorry for her, but you couldn’t bring yourself to actually be. Her eyes flowed across your face and you were sure that the only thing she was able to find was true curiosity.

“I have no idea…” She finally brought out.

It hadn’t been the answer you had hoped for. You had hoped that you would finally get an explanation for what had happened and why she had done all of the things she had done. Why had she made Sehun cheat on you? Why had she tried to steal Baekhyun away from you? Why had she made Elena hate you? Why had she done what she had done? But this answer wasn’t what you had hoped for and it made you a little bit angry. After going through this for whole this time this was all that you got? It was ridiculous.

“What do you mean you have no idea? How can you do all of those things without a good reason to do it?”

Your voice got a little bit louder than it should be in a class room like this where everybody was cracking their brains about world peace. Baekhyun made a loud shushing noise at the other side of the room and you looked up at him. He was sitting behind his desk, correcting tests from another class. His eyes were pointing on you and you knew he noticed your eyebrows that cracked in the middle of your face. His eyes slipped to Hana and back to you before he looked down on his papers again, but you knew he’d keep an eye on you for the rest of the hour.

“Why? I just realized that you had everything that I didn’t have and I wanted it too. I know I shouldn’t have done what I did but I can’t undo it anymore. I did ty things but I can’t turn back the time. You were such a snotty girl who believed that she was the best, I hated it. The longer I hung out with you the more you made me feel as if I was nothing. I was sick of it. You had the boyfriend, the parents, the friends, the money, the grades, the attention. And I was just walking in your shadow and I always would.”

“I just wanted to feel how it was to be you, even if it was just for one time. So I decided to flirt with Sehun. It hadn’t been my plan that it would turn out the way it did, but it happened. At that moment it felt good to feel better than you. So it never gave up on it. And since you started hating me and saying bad things about me, I started to hate you too. Elena, I just liked her and I wanted to be her friend too. It had never been the plan to take her away from you but you had begun to fight with her, that’s not my fault. You don’t even notice that most of these things happened because of your own stupid fault.”

It immediately came into you that she never mentioned anything about Baekhyun. She had no idea how much she had pained you by flirting with him. She probably thought that you had just had a crush on him or something and she had wanted to have him too. But she had never considered the fact that you could be a real item so she didn’t bother to mention it in the row of thing she had done to you. But for you that thing was one of the worst, but you couldn’t tell that to her. So it had been jealousy, like you had always thought. But what if she was right, if she had never really tried to do what she had done?

If she hadn’t tried to steal Sehun away from you and to make him cheat on you, then why had he done it? Why had he chosen for Hana and not for you? Had you been a bad girlfriend? Had you not given him what he had wanted to have during that time and had he found out that Hana was willing to give it to him? Or had Hana just been better than you and had he left you because of that? Elena and you had had a big fight before all of this had happened. But you realized that it hadn’t been because she had been hanging out with Hana but because you hadn’t want to tell her why you didn’t want her to hang out with her. If you had just told Elena the truth that you had still been friends today.

For the first time in a very long time the only thing you could do was look at her and blink with your eyes. You couldn’t think of something to say on this and you couldn’t bring out a word. She saw your perplexed face and she turned back to the front so that her feet were back under her desk. You were staring back to the side of her head, not being able to loosen your eyes from her. The bell rang and everybody began to pack their stuff, Hana also. But you remained seated and tried to think of everything she had just said and tried to give it a spot inside of your head.

“You’re not a bad person, and neither am I. I never wanted things to be like this between us. Just like you, I still wonder sometimes why it had to be like this. Just like you, I still miss the old times where we could laugh at the silliest things and tell everything to each other. I don’t think it will ever be the same again, but sometimes, I do regret it.”

After that she walked out of the room and left you sitting at your table. It was an understatement to say that you were speechless, you couldn’t even move anymore. Everybody had left the room and had went to their next class, but you couldn’t find a way to move your legs. The moment you woke up from your daze was the moment that Baekhyun was suddenly standing in front of you with a worried look on his face. He kneeled down until his eyes were on your level and you sighed deeply before letting your shoulder hang.

“Do you want to talk about it?” He asked with a smooth and soft voice.

It was nice that he asked you and that he didn’t make you talk about it. At first you wanted to kill him for setting you up with Hana but now you knew that you weren’t even going to bring it up. Secretly you were grateful that he had done this, because otherwise you wouldn’t knew what you knew now. It wasn’t much, but it was already a very big step forward. You hadn’t had this kind of conversation with Hana for such a long time ago. This didn’t only helped you to forgive the people who had once hurt you, but it also helped you to forgive yourself.

“Can’t you just hold me.” You asked, ignoring his question but still giving an answer.

He understood that you didn’t want to say anything about it and nodded without saying a word. He walked around your desk until he was standing beside you. Then he grabbed your hands softly and pulled you up from your chair. As soon as your cheek rubbed against his shirt your arm slipped around his back and hugged yourself against him. His arms were tightly wrapped around you as if he was never going to let you go anymore. You closed your eyes and breathed in his smell. Everything would be okay, as long as you were together.

“I love you, you should never ever forget that.” He whispered and you smiled.

“Well, you’re here to remind me aren’t you?”

 


Just came back from Paris and I'm still tired as hell. But I couldn't let you wait any longer^^