Like The Old Times

The Teacher-Student Marriage

“Shut up! So you’re having a baby?”

With your hand you motioned that she should calm down a bit and lower her voice so that no one else who was sitting close could hear her. She was the first one you had told beside Baekhyun and you wanted to keep it that way. Of course your parents would have to find out sooner or later but you were still thinking of how you were going to handle that. It wasn’t going to be easy, they weren’t going to be very excited.

Yuri had picked it up better than you had expected though. You had thought that she would be in shock and disappointed in you. But instead she looked as if she was very happy for you and as if she had wanted this to happen all along. But then her facial expression changed for a second and she bowed closer to you. Because curiosity took over you, you worked with her and crossed the distance in between the two of you until you were halfway your side of the table.

“What did Baekhyun say about all of this? I can imagine that he wasn’t jumping from joy. He just made his teenage girlfriend, who he shouldn’t even be together with, pregnant. How did he react?”

The way she said it made it all sound so wrong. You weren’t supposed to be with another, nor were you supposed to have a baby. But it was too late now for you to feel bad about all those kind of things. What had happened had happened and there was no way of turning back the time. If people would find out they would say ugly things, no matter where you went. That was just something you had to learn how to live with.

“It was bad at first. I mean, he was shocked and completely overwhelmed when he first heard that I was having a baby from him. He even asked me to take it away…” Yuri’s eyes became twice its size before you continued.

“But I told him that I couldn’t do that. After that it went better and now he realizes that he has to take responsibility and he actually seems as if he wants to do this.”

Yuri seemed shocked about the first part but you had already worked yourself past that. You realized now that his reaction of taking the kid away had been completely normal. He had wanted the best for you, but most importantly the best for himself. That was a total normal human reaction and you couldn’t blame him for it. If it would have been you, you probably would have done and said the same thing.

The most important thing now was that it was all good and that sooner or later this thing would turn out great. After a few months, you and Baekhyun would be out of here and you would start a new life, with a fresh start. That was what you were looking forward now, to leave this entire mess you had made from your life and to make something beautiful from it. Although it wasn’t going to be easy, you were sure that you would be able to do it.

At a table a little further away from where you were sitting, your group of friends had divided themselves into two big groups at two separated tables. What had happened to the friendship in between Elena and James. After thinking about it for a while you realized that you had maybe neglected your friendship with James a bit after you and Elena had separated. But it seemed that you had been the one holding their friendship together, since now they didn’t talk to each other anymore.

It was such a waste though. It hadn’t been such a long time ago that Elena had still had feelings for him and she had wanted to ask him out. She probably didn’t know anything about his uality though, you couldn’t see James telling that to her. Elena always used to tell you that she was jealous of the friendship in between you and James, because she knew she would never be able to have something like that with him. For a short second you felt sorry as you looked at him, for not giving him enough attention as his best friend.

Then your eyes moved to the table next to it and you could see that Sehun, Hana and Elena were caught up in something that seemed like an interesting conversation. They were all convincingly talking about something and it almost seemed as if they were having a discussion. Sehun was the first one who seemed to give up and he let the girls talk by themselves. His eyes crossed yours and he smiled slightly at you. Before you could think about it your lips curled in a small smile, it was a natural reaction. Then you looked away and lowered your eyes to your meal.

In the canteen of the school pupils had the choice if they brought their own food from home or if they ate something here. As always you had chosen the chance to eat warm food, but today for some reason you didn’t feel like actually eating it. So a little absent you shoved your peas around on your plate with your fork and you hoped that Yuri didn’t notice you weren’t eating anything. Then you suddenly remembered something and turned your body towards her. She noticed and shot you a questioning look.

“Have I been this inattentive or is it because I’ve been away for a while that it seems to me that you’re not hanging out with Luhan anymore? What’s up with the two of you?”

You had been so caught up with your own situation and your own problems that you had totally forgotten about this. Yuri also had a boyfriend and you hadn’t given her the chance to talk about him because you couldn’t shut up about your own life for one second. She sighed and you noticed that you hadn’t been wrong about your thoughts. Something in between them wasn’t right because normally if she heard his name, she’s smile a little and her eyes would have a little spark inside of them.

“It’s just… The last few weeks he’s being so absent and it makes me feel tired of this. We’ve been together for such a long time already, maybe we just need to have the chance to enjoy the single life now that we’re still in high school. The more I think about it, the more I miss it.”

“But you love him right? And he loves you obviously, otherwise he would have broken up with you a long time ago. The chemistry that’s in between you guys is something so special, are you sure that you’ll ever find that again with someone else? What if you regret your decision?”

She nodded and you realized that she didn’t need you to tell her that because she already knew that. She wanted someone who would assure her that if she decided to break up with him that she shouldn’t feel bad about it. If there was one thing you had learned it was that it wasn’t just important to think about your relationship and the feelings of another, but also to think about yourself. What about your feeling? How did you feel about all of this? Would you be happier if you stayed with him or left him? That were the kind of questions she needed to ask herself right now and if she knew an answer on them, she would make the right decision.

“But if you want to break up with him then I think that you should. If this relationship doesn’t satisfy you anymore and if it doesn’t make you feel happy then you should think about yourself first. Even though his feelings are important, your feelings are more important. I would talk to him and I’m sure he’ll understand.”

She smiled at you and opened to say something as she was cut off by the ringing of the bell. It made you both laugh as you picked up your plates and dumped the leftovers of your food in the trash. Side by side you walked through the hallways and suddenly you were surprised to see Elena and Sehun walking beside you, James and Kai were lingering a little bit behind you. And then suddenly it felt just like the good all times again, where you were all together, laughing like little kids about the silliest things. It was the first time in a while that you realized that you really missed that time, where everything was still okay and your best friends were still your best friends.

And for the first time since your fight you didn’t have the power to walk away from this anymore or to start a fight with Elena. You ignored Hana who was walking at the side and just smiled to yourself, enjoying the feeling you hadn’t felt in a long time. Then you stopped walking and you could feel James walking straight into your back while let out a muffled puff. It was clear that he hadn’t expect you to stop in the middle of the hallway but you also weren’t supposed to.

“Hey heeri-ah, have you seen a ghost or something?”

James and his sarcastic jokes, you had never fully understood them but they always made you laugh, you had missed it. With a little teased expression you turned your head towards him and stuck out your tongue. This felt so good and it made the other laugh, you could even see a small smile at Yuri’s face even though she had never really liked your past group of friends.

“Seriously? How can it be that your humor is still as bad James? You’d think that you would have learned something from us over the years.” Elena joked and he sniffed.

“My humor is still better than yours miss Jung. Let’s not forget who was the one who always made you smile after one of your boyfriends broke up with you.”

“And after all this time you still sound like an old married couple. I thought that would have changed by now.” Those words came out of Sehun’s mouth and made everyone chuckle.

“Listen to yourself you mushroom head. After all this time you still haven’t learned anything from my great styling. Go to the hair dresser you idiot.”

“pff, please. If there is one person of us who know how to make it look good it’s not you. I’m the stylish one here for sure.” The only thing you could do was hit James on the chest and Elena threw him a death glare which after you both grinned to each other.

Then the whole group grew silent as you were still standing on the same spot where you have stopped walking suddenly, without any good reason at all. It seemed as if you were all shocked of how natural this whole funny situation had started and how easy it all had seemed. A few second ago you hadn’t talked to each other in months and you had still been fighting. Now you had all been making fun with and about each other, without even realizing it. The only one who wasn’t really welcome for you was Hana, but she hadn’t said a word.

“We’re all idiots aren’t we?” Elena whispered and no one answered.

Because you all knew the truth and that was that she was right. One for one, all of you, you were idiots. But there was no one of you that was going to admit that, your egos were all too big for that. Sehun was the first one who cleared his throat and made the group get to move again. You all began to walk and stopped in front of your classroom when James claimed the attention again.

“She’s right, we’re all idiots. How could we let it get this far? There was a day we all used to friends, even Elena and Sehun.” They looked at each other before looking down to the floor.

“And Elena and heeri, who split their ways for what? Because of a little stupid fight? How did something like that come in between the strong friendship you had? …We had? Yuri and Kai and Hana, aren’t they just people who we need to accept in our group of friends?”

Even though you didn’t like the idea of letting someone like her in, it made you thinking. Maybe you were able to let Hana in if that meant you didn’t have to offer your friendship with others for it. For a brief second your gaze and Hana’s crossed before you looked up to the ceiling, feeling a bit embarrassed of your behavior. What kind of a war was it that you were fighting? One that was ridiculous that was for sure.

“Why can’t we all just go back to the way it was? I mean, this felt quite good just now. We could all just get along, but everyone needs to give it a chance.”

Everyone looked at each other before the door went open and Baekhyun walked out. He gave you all a disliking look and you could see he was curious. What was just this group of kids doing on the hallways together, the group who didn’t like each other. But he let the question slide and stepped aside, not leaving you any choice than to walk into the room without saying anything else. Well, it had given you something to think about for the next hour.