Guilt

The Teacher-Student Marriage

Baekhyun’s finger slipped over the blue marks around your wrists as the first tears if that day fell from his eyes. He couldn’t believe what had happened and he couldn’t help but trying to think that this was all just a dream and that he would wake up and everything would be normal again. How had a wonderful night been able to turn out into a horrible mistake and the most terrible night of his life? With shaking fingers his reached out for you hand and grabbed it carefully, as if he was afraid to break you, before bringing it to his lips and closing his eyes.

For a short moment he just stayed like that, without moving and making any sound. It was only when a sob broke out of his throat that he opened his eyes and looked at you, who seemed to be sleeping ever so peacefully. He let one of his hands loosen his grip around yours before combing a strand of hair out of your face and tracing his finger down your cheek, your skin felt so cold that it scared him. He stopped at your lip, where he could see a wound at the corner and it frightened him.

“I’m so sorry Heeri-ah…I’m so so sorry. Please wake up…”

>> Flash back <<

He could see you walking away and it was clear that you were upset, but was he supposed to care about that right now? After what you had said to him and what you had done, was he supposed to be worried about where you were going to and how you were doing. No, he thought by himself but his heart told him something completely different and he couldn’t fight that, the heart wants what it wants… So he let go of Jongdae’s collar and stepped backwards to see you running to the door.

“Heeri!!” He yelled, but you never turned around.

With a painful expression he brought his hand up to his cheek and felt the spot burning where Jongdae had hit him, he was going to pay for this, but another time. He looked back at Jongdae who was sitting on the floor while throwing his head back against the wall to calm down. He had just fought with a teacher, he would probably, no surely, get in big troubles for this but he didn’t doubt that it had all been worth it. Baekhyun was just about to go back up to him as he heard a loud noise coming from outside and making his and Jongdae’s eyes fly to the door.

Without thinking about anything else his thoughts flew to you who had just ran outside, completely off the map and emotional. He could only hope with all his hard that that crash didn’t have anything to do with you and there was only one way he could find that out. Not hesitating once he left Jongdae behind and in the hall by himself and rushed to the doors, hoping to find you quickly so he knew that you were okay. Suddenly the whole situation that had been going on before was completely forgotten, now he could only worry about your safety.

Once again he called out for you by using your name, hoping that this time you would stop and come towards him. But this time there was again no response and the only thing he could do was go on and trying to find you somewhere in the dark. He ran out of the gates and hadn’t thought to find anything but his eyes widened in shock as he stumbled onto the road, where he could see a lifeless body lying in the middle of the street. His heart began to beat faster and the only thing he could think was, ‘please don’t let it be her.’

But then he clearly recognized the red dress you had been wearing this evening and he stiffened before sprinting over and getting on his knees beside you. Little did he know what to do, he had never been this close to an accident before and definitely not if it involved someone he knew. As he looked around to see if there was anyone around who could help him he could see a car standing at the end of the road, it had crashed against a tree. That must have been the one that had hit you and that made that you were in this state right now.

Realizing that the streets were empty and that he was alone he reached out for his phone with shaky hands. Of course there was no one here, they were all inside, having the time of their life but he was here with you and you were not having such a great time at all. As fast as he could and with using his brain as much as it would help him he called the hospital and said them what had happened and where you were. They told him that they would send someone over right away and that he had to keep a close eye on you to see that you would keep breathing and your heart would keep beating.

As they said those things to him it permeate that there was a chance that you wouldn’t survive this, that you would die even before the medical team had arrived and that there would be nothing left to do anymore. He hung up and leaned over you, holding in his own breath to hear if you were still doing that. His heart was beating fast in his throat as he let his eyes slide up and down your body, seeing that you had many wounds and that you were bleeding.

Out of everything that would happen and out of all the places where he would be able to find you he hadn’t expected to find you here. This was something that was only supposed to happen in movies and not in real life, but here he was and he didn’t really like it. His trembling fingers searched for that spot in your neck, the only spot that would be able to calm him down just a bit because it would tell him that you were still here and that you were alive. When he felt your heart beating against his fingers he let out a shaky breath and thanked god silently for saving you.

But he also knew that this didn’t mean anything, you were alive now but there would follow operations and a long time of recovery. Would you be able to survive your surgery and would you be strong enough to make it through all those horrible things the people in the hospital would do to you after this? If you wouldn’t make it then he wouldn’t be able to live with himself anymore, this was his fault and he couldn’t make it right anymore. He had never wanted things to turn out like this, he didn’t even know what had gotten into him for doing what he had done.

He wished that he could turn back the time, that he could rewind everything and start over, fix all the things he had done wrong. He had hurt you so many times, over and over again and he had let you down. And why? Because he had wanted to protect his own ego and image and his own feeling, he had been so selfish and right now he regretted it all. If he had listened to you, if he had tried to understand your feelings and if he had only not broken up with you but had fought for what you had had then this wouldn’t be reality right now.

A little sniffle escaped out of his throat as he felt his eyes getting teary. He didn’t cry very quickly, but this was something he couldn’t just ignore. He loved you and you were dying, how could he not cry because of this? He had a heart, and at this moment his heart was hurting because of what had happened to you. His eyes never left you and didn’t even look up when the ambulance arrived, the only thing he did was sitting there in silence, begging for you to make it through.

>> End flashback <<

While trying to push the horrible memory back he laid his head in his hands and tried to get a hold of himself again. He wanted to be strong for if you would wake up, because you would need someone around you who could protect you and push you through it, and he couldn’t be that person if he was weak. You had been strong while you had been waiting for someone to come and find you, you had been strong when you had been waiting for the ambulance to come and you had been strong during the operation, the least he could do was being strong if you would wake up. That was of course if you would ever wake up…

The doctor had told him that there wasn’t any head trauma and that you had been very lucky, he had seen people in your situation who hadn’t had that much luck. You had a few broken ribs, a broken arm and a few bleedings but the doctor had said that wasn’t his biggest concern. You hadn’t woken up yet and they had expected that was what would happen, but you wouldn’t open your eyes. It was as if you were in a coma and the only person who could decide to wake up from it was you, the doctors couldn’t do anything.

There was a chance that it was because you were scared to wake up, scared to have to go through all the things you had been going through before all of this happened. But it could also be that you just didn’t want to wake up and that would form some problems. There was a chance that if you wouldn’t wake up in time that you could get a cardiac arrest, and they didn’t know if they would be able to save you from that. All the information had been very frightening and he could only hope that you would wake up soon, or soon enough.

The door of the room opened and he looked around to see if it was a doctor with some more news, but it was probably even worse than that. The look into your father’s eyes wasn’t a happy one and Baekhyun swallowed before turning around again and looking down at you. He had known that they would come once, but he had hoped that he had had some more time to prepare himself for their visit.

“Oh god my Heeri! What happened to my baby?!” Your mom screamed while running over to you.

“We trusted you to take care of our daughter Baekhyun. You promised us that you would keep her safe and that you would make sure nothing would happen to her… Then how is it possible that she’s in a hospital after a car crash?!” Your dad screamed furiously at him.

Except of answering him he let his head hang while staring down on his hands. He had nothing to defend himself with because everything your dad had accused him of had been nothing else than the truth. He had promised to protect you and he had promised you that he wouldn’t let you down, but that exactly what he had done to you, so he had broken his promises, he was a liar. What could he said, that he had never meant to do it, that he felt sorry for it and that he would make it up to you and to your parents? That could probably only make things even worse right now. Why would he make new promises that he probably wouldn’t be able to keep?

“I’m very sorry sur, I don’t know what happened but I know that I should’ve protected her, and I didn’t…I’m really sorry.”

Your parents didn’t say anything and just stared at him as he stood up from his chair which he had taken to sit beside your bed. There was no reason why he should still stay here right, and after all your parents wouldn’t want him to stay, they wanted to be alone with their daughter now. He bowed to them before turning around and walking to the door, trying to do it as slow as possible because actually he didn’t want to leave just yet. He was still in too much of a shock about what happened himself to leave you alone just like this.

But when his hand reached out for the door handle it froze, not by anything that had happened but by the sound that came into his ears. As fast as he could he turned back around and all together they stared at you who were blinking your eyes slowly before opening them and looking around into the room. A groan came over your lips as you realized where you were and that your whole body was hurting like hell. What the hell had happened and what the hell were you doing in a hospital?

“Mom?” You whispered surprised and everyone rushed towards you, but then you saw Baekhyun…

“Mommy! Please make him leave! I don’t want to see him…”