Chapter 42

Love Is Confusing Me

Hope you enjoy..

 


 

"Why I have to do this too?" her lower lip protruded in a dissatisfied pout.

I simply glance through the corner of my eyes at the sulky Youngmi before rolling my eyes. She keeps complaining since this morning and I almost get headache because of it. Luckily, we are not in the same class or else I would probably get headache for real.

Our period of school for today already end a few minutes ago and now we’re heading up to somewhere. I let out a scoff sound.

“You started it first” I retort with not in the mood tone. After she makes me half crazy about joining the trip yesterday, I’ve threatened her to join me study as exchange. Since she was too desperate to go to the trip with me like seriously, She really so fervently until she didn’t have any option than just accept it unwillingly.

But secretly I appreciate it.

“But not this is too much? I-”

“Ok, if you don’t want to, easy. Let’s go to the supervisor now then I’ll let you go home” I cut her off immediately as grab her small wrist, acting like we are going to meet our school supervisor. The empty hallway has been filled only our voice and the sound of our footstep since all the students already gone to their home or wherever they are going that only god know it.

She cringes at my sudden action “Fine, fine. Stop, you win” She pulls back her hand from me then click her tongue once “I’ll follow you, happy now?”

“Good girl!” I smile in satisfied then nod my head once. She just rolls her eyes before walking forward, leaving me behind.

“You’re so mean” She mutters in anger. I shake my head then reach up to her step, walking by her side again. I tap the side of her shoulder twice.

“Yoo Youngmi, I do this for your sake either. I don’t understand, How come you could be this lazy when it comes into the study while your brother never leave his book from time to the time” I bluntly say as make a quick glance at her. She hisses when I compared between her and her brother.

“That’s because he is nerd.” She casually replies which is making my jaw hangs open, by  her unexpected word. Soon, I burst into laughter as my voice fill around the air.

“Yah, it’s good for you though, to have a smart- brother like him.” I retort as I slow down the laughter. Youngmi only could rolls her eye then nothing more come out from her pink lip after that. I secretly smile.

I know she doesn’t honestly hate her brother but she just jealousy toward him. There is no way for the siblings to build the wall between them unless they really hate for each other at the certain reason. Since I was born a single child, secretly make me a bit jealous at both of them but I didn’t blame the fate either.

“Look Youngmi, it’s not going to take such a long time for us, you just have to suffer a bit for this month but then after the exam finish, you can do whatever you one including burn your books or anything. How is it? Sound good, huh?” I taunt which is earning a pout from Youngmi immediately.

“Yah, you make me sound like a bad one. I’m not that cruel to do such a thing like that!” She retorts as make a tiny pinch on my arm.

“Ouch, Ouch, Ouch Ok, Ok-Gosh! I just kidding you know” I whine as the pain starting to feel the whole of my arm, plus with her nails like that. Her nails was painted with all yellow in her fingers. Wait, Does the school allow us to paint the nails? No, right. Haha such a brave girl, Youngmi. But I do notice not only her but there is saveral of female students paint their nails too. Wow, they really didn’t give a damn about the school rule, huh.

“Serves you right” She finally release my arm. I rub my sore arm before giving her a death glance.

For a moment, Our school library could be visible from a few meters. We both heading to the direction before entering quietly inside the library. As soon as we both get inside, the atmosphere turn into real quiet as if no was there at those moments. Youngmi yawns then lazily take a seat at one of the empty table but I quickly catch her arm. She instantly looks up at me.

“What?” She asks, controlling her voice for being loud.

“Not here” I state as force her to get up again. She clicks her tongue at my action.

“But Kyungmi..”

“Shh..” I hush her then lead her to the table that supposed to be our table today. She frowns but follow me eventually. She intentionally walks like a lazy person as make me hard to drag her.

Aish, This girl. How come she be this stubborn? Lazybutt.

After a few step, I spot someone who is waiting at the table while reading the book. My lip forms into a smile. There is something I didn’t tell Youngmi yet. We both reached the table as I quickly greet the person, smiling.

“Hi, Jongup, sorry for the late” My voice make him snap from the thought instantly, well He is too concentrate over a book he is reading right now and his stare on the page as if want to redeem the book. I let out a giggle that super low. Jongup raises up his head and when he spot both of us standing in front of him, his ears turn into the red immediately.

“Ugh.. i-it’s ok” He timidly says.

On the other hand, youngmi’s eyes already wide as if they will jump out from the socket. Her sleepy eyes become fresh immediately like she just woke up after 20 hours have a sleep.  Her face looks puzzle as ever and she quickly gives him a uncomfortable stare until make Jongup lower his head in embarrassed.

Youngmi holds my forearm before bring me a bit far from the shy guy. “Yah, what is he doing here?’

I smile at her question as I notice her face reveal a confused face. From the beginning, I can expect she would ask me that question. So, that’s not surprise much.

“He will join us too” I casually state, quickly earning a long whine from her. Here, she become a childish again. I roll my eyes in irritation.

“But why? You know I’m.. ugh well.. I’m not quite close with him. Because he looks a bit weird.” She stoles a quick glance at Jongup before looking at me again.

“But he’s one of your brother friends!” I simply state and try to hold up my laugh.

“I know. He-“

“And he is actually in your class too” I interrupt her right away, I make my eyes become tiny while giving her a judgement stare. Her lip a bit apart, wanting to protest against my word but seeing my expression, she shuts tight.

“it’s weird though when you guys didn’t get along” I says again and my eyes didn’t even leave from her pretty face. Youngmi gasps for a moment.

“It’s because he didn’t talk much and impossible for me to approach him!” She nearly raise her voice at me “Because h-he is-”

I quickly hold her shoulder “Youngmi, I’m just kidding. Why are you so serious?” I smile while Youngmi stays froze in her spot. I shake my head to her while giggling a little.

“Wh-what? Yah,” Her face turn into redden instantly. She can sense Jongup is staring over her in confused which is making her face hot, definitely embarrassed.  I didn’t response to her instead walk to the table before setting myself down to the chair opposite with Jongup.  Jongup blinks like a puppy eyes.

“it’s nothing, Jonguup-ah. let’s get start, shall we?” I tell him as if he had asked me. He hesitates for a second before awkwardly nods his head.

After earning that, I look at Youngmi’s way. “Yah, don’t waste your time over there. Get your here” I demand, sounding like a boss. But My voice still maintain low. Youngmi begins to pout when I’m starting to order her around. Well, I’m not have an intention either to do that but seeing her blush hardly like that make me feel a bit fun. Sorry youngmi-ah, hope you didn’t tell your brother, haha.

Despite her face obviously shows an unsatisfied in that state, she eventually give up and approaching the table. For a moment, she already sits next to me. Plus, with sour face. I secretly hide my smile.

“So, what’s the subject you guys want to start first?” I break the ice, since both of them just keep quiet in their spot. I let out a small sigh. Seriously, am I babysitter these two? I’m seem like one.

“How about chemistry? I still weak in those subjects” Youngmi finally voiced up while raising up a little her hand. I remain silent for a moment before glancing up at Jongup. “Ok, I agree, How about you, Jongup-ah?”

“Oh, I’m fine with it” He gives a quick answer then nod his head once. I my bag then let out a few of chemistry books including my small note about it. I just made them a few days ago. While on the other hand Youngmi and Jongup do the same like me.

I placed my book in front of me as carefully open them then flip to the first page. “Ermm.. What chapter are you still confused about, Youngmi-ah?”

“Ah, Let me see first” She mumbles while observing to her own book. I nod my head.

“Here, I think chapter 8 is a bit hard to understand” She pushes her book in front of me to show the part she could not understand. My shoulders slump immediately before letting out a nervous laugh.

“Sorry Youngmi-ah, I still can’t figure out this chapter too” I give her a guilt stare. It’s true. This chapter a bit hard but I’d studied it last night and I only could catch a few of them not fully the chapter.

She lets out a heavy sigh. “Ah I see..”

“I-I can teach you guys.” After being a silent for a long time, he eventually opens his mouth. He has been observing us quite some time and hearing our conversation as well. Because of tired being ignored by us, he decides to interrupt into the conversation. We both immediately look up to him, surprise.

“D-Don’t look at me like that. So, yes or no?” He timidly offers, smiling a bit.

“Do you really understand this chapter?” I ask in unbelievable.

“Yeah, kind of” he shyly admits.

“Great!” I let out a small cheer up then pat the side of youngmi’s shoulder once “Yah, you go to him now”

I smirk as I saw Youngmi’s jaw drops at my sudden order. “What? Why me? ho-how about you?”

“Because you’re the one asking for this subject and I still want to finish my homework first. You go first, I can ask him to teach me later.” I arrogantly say while pushing her away from her original seat. She almost fall down to the ground as get up immediately from her seat.

“Park Kyungmi, you-” She shuts tightly when she realizes what the place they are now. she can’t help but swallow down everything she want to burst to me before muttering me something like ‘I’ll kill you later’. Even she said such the things, She still walks up toward Jongup before taking a seat next to him, bringing along her book and pencil case.

The distant between them a bit far. I smile at the sight in front of me, all I could feel right now is the awkwardness between them.

‘They are so cute’ I silently thought.

....

A month has passed and today is the the day we will face the final exam for this year. In the cold morning, three of us walking down to the path of the area school. We are heading to our building block right now with full of nervousness run all over our body. Not to mention we are a little frightened at the fact we would face the exam today.

“Ah, I think I’m not ready yet” Youngmi expresses her feeling at that moment while tightly her grip on my hand. I just smile at her then glance at Jongup who walks beside me in silent. He seem a bit calm but I know he is having the same feeling like us too.

Since we study together almost a month, I do notice Jongup more like to smile than speak but I didn’t entirely blame him for that, Because that’s the natural side of him.

Gladly, Youngmi also get used with that side of him and seem like each time she tried to make conversation with him, Jongup would become insanely awkward and it’s different with me instead when he seems more comfortable around me. So, I bet he is secretly do have a feeling toward her, Youngjae’s sister.

For a moment, two different sound could be heard around the air in unison. I snap from my deep thought promptly as glance at both of my side. Youngmi and Jongup take out their phone from the pocket. Youngmi face already bright up after reading the text message while Jongup’s face didn’t change a bit.

“Who?” I bravely ask and for some point, I’m not quite sure to whom I dedicate the question exactly.

“Daehyun Oppa!”

“Daehyun Hyung”

Youngmi and Jongup said in unison. I remain silent instantly as Jongup hesitantly glances over me for a moment before open his mouth again “He just said good luck for the exam”

“Me too” Youngmi mutters with low voice. She got the same message like Jongup.

For a moment, Jongup breathe out then wait for me to response as his eye didn’t leave from my face yet. I tilt my head to the side “Why are you looking at me like that Jongup-ah?”

“Kyungmi-ah..” Youngmi squeezes a bit my hand in sadness. I turn my head to her then give her a smile. A bitter one, I guess.

“I should say good luck to both of you too, Hope you guys could face the exam easily” I try my best to make my voice didn’t sound vibrate. I clap both of my palm together.

“Good luck to myself too, Fighting! Let’s go guys, we are going to be late!” I cling both of my hand on their arm then drag them into the building. Youngmi and Jongup only could press their lip together, slightly confused with me.

Soon, three of us separate to our class since we are not same class. I bet, only I didn’t same classroom with them. Once again I manage to mumble some words of encouragement for them before I walk to my own class. As I’m about to enter my classroom suddenly my phone vibrates in my pocket. I stop immediately as I shift to the side, giving the space for my classmate to enter the classroom.

Frowning,  I get my phone out then take a look at the screen. Seem like I got a message from unknown number. My eyebrow wrinkles more deep due to the number. I quickly open the message.

Good luck to you too, Kyungmi-shi

Who is this? How can she/he know my name? I blankly stare at my screen phone . Suddenly something hit me as I remember about the message that Youngmi and Jongup received a while ago. I gasp in my spot.

No way!

Is this really from Daehyun?? Am I right? but why his name didn’t pop out in my screen ? I thought.

“Of course, his name didn’t pop out because you already deleted his number, pabo!” I hit immediately my head for being stupid. I keep my phone back and for a moment my lip curls into a wide smile, I don’t know why but I feel fearless to answer the exam today.

.....

 

After a week we go through the exam finally, I could breathe properly  and you don’t have any idea how happy I am today upon passing the last paper to the teacher earlier. So from now on, I don’t need to struggle against the books again and it’s time for me to be free from the study.

I excitedly stroll down through the hallway then go downstairs with smile completely plastered on my face. Before I could reach the gate, suddenly someone jump up into my back. “Kyungmi-ah!”

The sudden weight on my back make me lose my balance immediately. At last I fall forward onto the ground along the person behind me.

“Yahhhh!!!!” I shout in anger.

I breathe in and out before glancing up over my shoulder to look at Youngmi who is still have her hand around my body, hugging from the back. Both of my palm already placed at the ground and at the same time I try to struggle from her hug. I bet my uniform already get dirty since she presses me to the ground.

“Yah, Yoo Youngmi, get off from me!” I groan at her heavy body. She is so damn heavy!

“Noo.. I’m happy right now, thank you Kyungmi. You’ve helped me a lot! I couldn’t believe I could answer all the questions easily.” She screams in my ear while tightly her hug against me, squeezing hard her eyes then put her cheek on my back.  Seriously, I can’t believe this.

For a moment, I catch a glimpse of someone’s shoes. “Jongup-ah, help me get off this girl from my body”

The boy only could stay still while rubbing the back of his neck, smiling like idiot. Seem like he doesn’t have a courage to touch the female. I make a heavy sigh.

“Kyungmi-ah, thank you, thank you, thank you. I love youu~” She presses her lip on my left cheek.

“Eww.. Yah, I’m not a lesbian. Get off from my back right now” I say under my breath as trying to jerk my head away from getting her kiss again. She is trying to kiss me again when suddenly someone pulls us apart.

“What is this? Are you guys fighting again?” Youngjae grits his teeth, He just misunderstood by our position. I throw the dust away from my uniform before glancing up to Youngmi, who grins innocently at me.

“No, I just want to thanks Kyungmi-ah, because she helped me on study” She looks up to his brother since she sit on the ground like me. Youngjae let out a sigh of relief before a frown begin to take over his face, confused.

“She suddenly jumps onto Kyungmi-shi’s back, that’s why they end up on the ground” Jongup explain when he realized his expression face, slightly chuckle. Youngjae nods at the explanation.

I fake a cough when I notice Daehyun’s figure behind Youngjae. I thought Youngjae was alone, huhu.

“How was your exam Youngjae-ah?” I softly ask, avoiding from make eyes contact with the male behind him. Youngjae focus at me as he looks down at my figure.

“Oh, not good actually, this year a bit hard, right Daehyun?” Youngjae turns over his shoulder to look at his friend. Daehyun just gives him a simple hum in return.

Before Youngjae could say anything else, suddenly Youngmi interrupts into our conversation.

“Oppa, you can go back first” Youngmi tells her brother while getting up off the ground. She pats her skirt to throw the dust off before reaching her hand for me. She didn’t face his brother at the moment. I awkwardly take her hand then push up my body to stand on my feet.

“Why? Are you going somewhere else?” Youngjae firmly asks, sounding a bit concerned in my ears. Well, why not? he is her brother after all.

Youngmi’s lip turns into a huge smile before dragging I and Jongup to both of her sides, clinging her hand on our arm.

“Yup, I want to treat them eat at somewhere and we can celebrate for our freedom too!” She says with sparkle eyes. Both I and Jongup blink in puzzle, absolutely don’t have any idea what is she planing right now.

“Let’s go!!” Without waiting for her brother response, She casually pulls both of us walking to the gate way. We obediently follow her step. For a moment, Youngjae quickly block our way. He glances at Daehyun once before facing us again.

“Can we join too?”

....

The atmosphere around the food stall a bit noisy as a lot of customers choose the same place like us for filling their hungry tummy. It’s good too that Youngmi didn’t complain much about the place. I though she was someone who care a lot when it comes about food. Like eating at a place that serve food with expensive price. I think I’d judged her real hard and I feel bad about that.

Our food that we order a while ago finally arrived upon half an hour we have been waiting. The Ahjumma carefully set the meal down to our table with friendly smile on her face. Being polite of us, we make a bow in unison before watching her leave our table. I observe the meal in front of me, just smelling of that make me swallow down my saliva secretly.

“Eat.” Youngmi mentions to me while handing me a spoon and a bowl of rice. She takes a chopstick then put the kimchi onto my rice. I tilt my head to her since she is sitting next to me.

“Thank you” I mumbles with teary eyes, impressed by her kind action. She giggles at my expression “Bwoya? Are you going to cry? Eat.”

I quickly shake my head then begins to eat. In the corner of my eyes I can see, she do the same too to Jongup who is sitting beside her, putting some kimchi in his bowl. Like always, his face will turn red after that.

My eyes land at the person in front of me and secretly smile. Seem like Daehyun didn’t talk much and he is eating silently in his spot. Then, suddenly Youngjae makes a conversation with me. I just casually talk with him and sometime his sister will interrupt us and for a moment they end up argue with each other.

“That’s why I hate him!” Youngmi points her chopstick toward her brother who happened to sit right in front of her. “You always want to win against me!”

“Yah, How dare you point to me like that” Youngjae who seem don’t have any sign to give up, talking back to his sister.

“Look like I care!” She rolls her eye while roughly shove her meal into .

“Rude, Rude ,Rude” Youngjae used a spoon to hit her sister’s head along each word his said. I can’t help but laugh amusingly at both of them. Jongup join me too. Our laughter echo around the air while Youngmi whine then pout at her brother. As I’m laughing hard and happily enjoy the view suddenly my eye accidentally lands in front of me. I stop immediately laughing upon noticing Daehyun keeps on staring at me. Oh.

Instantly, I put my head down in embarrassed, silently eat my meal again. How could I forget he was here too? Aish!

I’m too busy with my thought suddenly Youngmi hit my head twice with her chopstick. I look up immedietely then turn to face her.

“Yah, You phone keep ringing, don’t you want to pick up?” She mention to the phone on the table beside me. My gaze falls to the direction right away.

“Oh” I take my phone up and found unfamiliar number is calling me right now. I frown but asnwer it eventually.

“Yoboseyo!” they all stop moving and start glancing up over me including Jung Daehyun.

“Kyungmi-ah, It’s me, Appa” My phone almost drop after hearing that voice.

“A-appa?” I repeat, and earning his hum from another line. I quickly get up from my seat “Wait for a while”

I put my phone down then excuse for them to have a private talk with my father. They seem didn’t object as let me be. I leave the table then walk to the toilet place. I didn’t enter inside but stand beside the door of the women toilet. I face the flat wall than bring my phone near my ear again.

“Appa, Where are you going? I’ve been waiting for you to come back here again” I’m starting to cry, I just miss my father.

“Kyungmi-ah, I’m really sorry about that. Anyway how have you been?” I can hear his old voice through the line which make my tear flow down again on my cheeks.

“I-I’m fine” I say between sobbing.

“Your mother?”

“She’s fine too”

“Aigoo, stop crying, you will looks ugly if you keeps on crying” My father tries make a joke. I giggle at him then slowly wipe my tear away with the back of my palm.

After  a few minute we sharing our story, My father suddenly excuse to hang up the phone.

“Kyungmi-ah , I have to go now.. urmm.. We will talk again If I have a chance, neh? Say hi to your mom” His voice such a hurry. My shoulders start to slump in disappointed. I want to talk with him more and seem like the time didn’t allow us either.

I make a heavy sigh “Okay, take care, Appa”

I hang up the line then sadly stare at the screen phone. For a moment a voice startled me from behind.

“ugh..  how your father been?”

I turn around immediately and found Daehyun stands not really far from me. I stare at his figure for a moment before hesitantly open my mouth.

“He-He is perfectly fine with his life now” I mentally slap myself for the stutter in front of him, Well, I never expect that he would bravely talks with me. but wait, have I ever thought he was a coward before?

“Urmm.. Ok, then” He slowly mutters then casually leaves me as he pushes the iron door of the male toilet before getting inside them. I stay froze in my spot, blinking in confused.

“What was that just happened?”  Ugh!!

 


 

This chapter is tooo long.. 4000+ words haha