Chapter 23

Love Is Confusing Me

 


 

The last period of the lesson begin to end just in time as I go out of the class before walking down on the hall in silence. The hall is quite busy with the students who are passing me as if I were walking down on the busy street. Seems like all of them don’t have patience to get home as quick as they can.

I make a small sigh, releasing all the tension that still lingers in my mind. I'm on my way to the locker room to grab my stuff, but my eyes suddenly spot someone that seems familiar to me and, for some reason I feel regret to come here in the first place. I quickly put on my casually face then heading to my own locker. 

I can sense that he just notices my presence in this room as he stops grabbing his stuffs inside his locker. His locker is just a few steps away from mine and he stands next to me but, not that close. He looks to my side then his lips immediately form into a tiny smile. He knows he is not supposed to smile but, he can't help it, He can sense that I'm not really angry at him, more like sulking over the thing that happened before.

I'm not putting a blame on youngjae but I'm a bit upset for oblivious that he actually has a sister and at the fact that she is the person I hate the most. I just feel cheated by him, but I know it's doesn't make sense at all. 

Youngjae closes the door of his locker a bit harsh, making me snap from my thought. he playful budges toward me which make me quicken my movement by shoving all the books in my bag. My chaotic seem amused in his eyes and he giggles a little on his spot. I turn to him and gives him my unusual death glance. He swallows his saliva then shutting his mouth immediately. He lets out a light sigh, knowing that my heart is still cold like an ice.

I keep my smile when I glance through the corner of my eyes toward Youngjae who are standing on his spot, debating with himself. 

After done grabbing my stuffs, I shut the locker's door close then turning around to walk away but, Youngjae quickly catches my hand. My eyes instantly  drop down to his hand before bringing them up to his bare face. 

"Do you still mad at me?" He bluntly asks me, searching my eyes.

"Did you see my face look like I'm mad right now?" I coldly ask as put on my straight face in front of him. He seriously scans my face for a while then slightly shake his head. He lets go of my hand afterward.

"Yes, but still cute" He casually states along with a grin. My cheeks turn into red immediately for his cheesy words, I quickly look away.

'Damn you Youngjae' I curse him in silence.

"I don't want to talk with you." I exclaim, letting out a snort at him. 

"Oh really? but you just talked with me" A goofy grin never leave on his face, lifting his eyebrow a bit. I'm about to open my mouth but shutting back, remembering that I don't walk to talk with him. 

I give him one last look before turning around, but when I'm about to take the step. I turn my head again and look at Youngjae over my shoulder. 

"Oh, tell your friend, I want to go home by myself today and don't worry, I will still come to his house this evening." I states with half-hearted to him. The scene where Daehyun was hugging me earlier flashing back into my mind. I quickly shake my head furiously, trying to forget those memories again. I begin to make my way to walk away from the place and leave youngjae behind, who are standing immobile on his spot. Youngjae blinks for a moment and just watch my figure disappears from his sight. He lets out a heavy sigh. 

"My friend? Who?" He mumbles, being stupid for a second.

 

~~~

 

I'm not straightly going to my home instead deciding to have a walk around the park. The park is quite spacious and there's a few benches at some place. There's also can find a medium-large lake that makes this park even more interesting. At this time, not many people are hanging over here due to the time, they probably still in their works place, making hard the money for their life and I swear that my mom is one of them.

I stop by at random spot then inhaling some air that surrounding around me, believe that this is fresh air that I've even took in my whole life. I exhale back and found myself feeling a bit calmer than before. A small smile forms on my face while showing how good I feel, don't forget either that the wind also plays an important role as hitting my face hardly which is the reason I forget everything for a moment.

The loud voice startles me. Quickly, I turn around only to find an old man who is selling the ice cream with wheelbarrow not really far from my spot. I narrow my eyes before jogging toward him with a smile still glue down on my face. 

"Annyeonghaseyo, ahjushi" I bow a little to him to give him some respect, landing my gaze toward all the ice cream in front of me. All of them look delicious to me as I swallow down my saliva. The uncle can't help but giggle over my reaction. I look up then my cheeks turn red as well when realizing my childish behavior.

"I'm sorry" I bow to him once again for being rude. He quickly waves his hand in front of his face.

"No. no. you don't need to apologize" he concernedly says. I just nod my head then give him a grin.

"Ca.. can I have one?" I hesitantly request. 

"Yes, sure. Why not?" He says then chuckles again. I softer right after hearing his chuckle, observing him in silence. I guess his age around my father's, I can tell through his old face.

"What flavor do you want?' He suddenly asks while wiping a little the sweat that fall down to the side of his forehead with his small towel. My heart feels sympathy for him in an instant. I look down at his cloth and sighing immediately. his cloth looks a bit dirty as there are several former stitches in her shabby clothes. My eyes start to fill with tears at the sight in front of me.

"Miss" He calls me out when I didn't give him any response. I quickly blink my eyes to shove the tear away then look up to his face again.

"Oh, whatever you think delicious to you." I playfully say, trying to cheer up a little. He once again chuckles then mumble something like 'yes sir' to me, playing along with me. I can't help but laugh at him friendly while deep inside of my heart how I wish my father will be like him. I watch him who is putting the ice cream in the cup then hand it to me. I gladly take it then begin to taste it with the small spoon that he has given to me along. 

"It's tasty! not really sweet. did you do this by yourself?" I look up again. he just nods then spread me a wide smile. 

"Ahjushi, I'm sorry but can I ask you something?' I suddenly change the topic.

"Sure" he gives me a quick nod while taking a seat on the nearby bench around us. I also take a seat right next to him.

"How many ice cream you have sold for today?" I hesitantly ask him, afraid he will get mad all of sudden. I don't have any idea why I ask him that kind of question, but the curiosity is killing me all of tge sudden. I'm eyeing him who is always showing the calm face of him and at the same time, it reminds me of Jung Daehyun.

"You're the first who are buying my ice cream for today." He says in a low voice, sadly looking down at his slippers. I remain silent. 

How come? today is hot day. Why doesn't anyone want to buy an ice cream? I only could protest in my heart.

I don't say anything, instead turning around, letting my back face him. I silently shove my hand in my pocket and trying to search something. My lips quickly form into a wide smile where my fingertips touch the money just in time. I let out them then count down one by one. my smile immediately falls down when I found out that I only can buy four more ice cream, since I don’t have a lot money. I make a silent sigh.

I straighten my body then look at the old man again, unexpectedly rubbing the back of his body in concern. He looks up when he feels my touch .slowly lifts his hand then lay them to the top of my head, smiling.

“You’re a kind girl” He comments. I nod to him, I feel a lump on my throat.

“Ah, Ahjushi can you give me four more ice creams?” I stand up all of sudden then show him four fingers like a little kid. He jumps in his seat due to my loud voice.

“What?! But you didn't finish your ice cream yet” He is eyeing the ice cream that I placed on the bench a while ago. I just have one bite a minute ago.

“It’s okay” I stubbornly say then pull him by hand to make him stand on his feet. “You know, you have to treat your costumer well, Ahjushi” I say while forcibly rushing him to make me four cups of ice cream more. His face looks a bit confuse but still do as I said.

“Hey, little boy” I call out the boy who is walking pass by. The little boy just looks up in puzzle, slightly show his fear to me. I put my smile as sweet as I can, trying to give him a courage. I gesture him with my hand, wanting him to come over me.

He hesitantly walks toward me and the second thing he already in front of me. I kneel down to have same level as him. “Annyeong cute boy. What’s your name?” I happily greet him.

He blinks cutely in front of me which make me scream in my heart for his cuteness. “My name is So Jun" he bows a little. I nod to him with a big grin plasters my face.

“Well, So jun-ah. Do you want an ice cream?” I softly ask while pointing my forefinger toward Ahjushi. He quickly nods, I can see the excitement through his small eyes. I mention ahjushi to give me an ice cream before handing one to the little boy.

“Thanks Noona” He timidly says and give a quick kiss on my left cheek.

“No problem!” I exclaim happily. I watch he joyfully runs with an ice cream in his hand and he manages to give me a wave with his other hand. I giggle in amused.

“You know, you don’t have to do that” The uncle’s voice grabs my attention back. I turn to glance at him. He shows me a guilty face. I make a sigh then shake a little my head to him.

“Don’t worry Ahjushi, I have the reason why I do this. This is honestly the only way for me to release my tension.” I lie, looking down to the ground immediately. He is a bit doubt with my word but then he throws the thought away.

“Here, your ice cream is still left with three cups. What you’re going to do with them?” He suddenly changes the topic. My lips form into a satisfied smile and lift up my head. I walk near him again then pull his palm out before putting the money on it.

“Wait and see. I’ll give them happiness with only tasting your ice cream” I exclaim with joy tone, grabbing the three cups of ice cream into my hand then run to give to some random people whoever is appearing in my sight.

....

I'm panting hardly before come back again to the uncle. I slam my against the bench then trying to catch some breaths. I glance once at the older who softer looking at me back then for a few seconds we both exchanging the same smile.

“I have to go now” The old man announces with a heavy heart. He just feels glad that someone who is willing to talk with him as if they were known each other for a long time.

“Okay, see you again Ahjushi” I say, slightly force a smile at him. deep inside of my heart, I really want to spend more time with him. He just reminds me of my father.

"How I wish I could buy all of his ice cream with one-off payment."

I silently watch him push the wheelbarrow that full with ice cream away. I weakly wave at him and sending him away with my eyes. I pick up my ice cream again on the bench and find out that it’s already melting like a water. I make a sigh and begin to drink it away. After finishing it, I throw the plastic cup into the nearby trash.

“Where should I go next?” I mumble to myself then stand up from the seat. I look around me for a moment and gasp. I just notice that this is the same place where I met Daehyun and this is the place when he casually admitted that I was his girlfriend in front of an unknown girl.

I shake my head immediately, trying to get him out of my mind. His vision, name and face keeps appearing in my mind lately and I hate it.

I quickly look at the time on my screen phone and realize that the time almost turn into the evening. I let out a heavy sigh. I have to go to Daehyun’s house soon, and at the same time I try to figure out why he asked me to come over his house. Is there something he wants to talk about?

Ignoring my curious feelings, I begin to arrange the step to walk away, leaving the park as well. I'm on my way to Daehyun’s home now and in the middle of my walk, I’ve decided that I will forget everything sweet that he has done to me. I believe, that’s the only way for me to go through it as his fake girlfriend. So, I'm will not constantly confusing myself.

I arrived in front of his house, looking up and admire his big house again. How come he lives alone in this huge house? I thought.

I nervously press the bell near his door than waiting for a moment for the person to open it, but no answer. The door still shuts tightly and show no sign to open it. A frown starts to draw across of my face in confused.

“Where is he going? Am I coming too early?” I murmur something under my breath. I turn around and decide to wait for him to come back. I sit down in front of the door then begin to make a circle with my finger on the ground, purposely killing the time.

Out of nowhere, a fluffy white cat appears right in front of me which make me jump. I almost screamed as narrowing my eyes at the cat and she greets me with a loud sound.

“OMG, you’re so cute” my voice goes higher, then quickly reach out my hand to her body, them softly. Her fur is really soft as if she was the carpet. Okay, I’m not supposed to compare her with the carpet. I giggle then caressing again her fur. She is absolutely cute!

“You're.. too early” A sudden voice startling me again. I instantly place my hand on my chest then raise my head up to look at the person in front of me. I give him an innocent grin before my eyes spot an ice cream that he’s holding now. He is holding one cup of an ice cream, and the other one is holding the bag plastic that full with ice creams. He narrows his gaze down toward me who is still sitting on the ground, didn’t bother to stand up.

“Are you going to sit there forever?” He sarcastically asks with a quiet snort. I snap from my thought, pushing myself up immediately, shyly. I move to the side, letting him open the door. He manages to glance at me with the corner of his eyes then start to unlock the door with the key he'd always brought whenever he leaves his house.

“Anyway, Why did you ask me to come over?” Finally, I spit the word that keeps playing in my mind earlier. He stops his movement an instant, but didn’t bother to look at me.

“I just want you to accompony me watch the movie. That’s all.” He states, stepping into his house with followed by me behind. I help him close the door then face him again who is placing the bag plastic on the dining table.

I don’t walk to the couch instead, stroll down to the table where he just placed the bag plastic just now.

“Why you buy so many ice cream?” I weirdly ask, digging them one by one. There is so much flavor which makes me want to taste each of them.

“Stop asking, if you want them just take it and eat in silence.” He firmly state, slamming his lazily onto the couch while shutting his eyes. I pout.

“Never mind. I’ve already ate them!” I mutter then putting them back into the bag plastic. This ice cream just reminds me of the uncle I’ve met before.

“I know” He mumbles in such a low voice. I glance at the bag plastic once again before running down to Daehyun, popping out my head behind the couch.

“What did you say?” I ask him again because I didn't really focus at his last word.

“Nothing. Wake me up after thirty minutes" he demands like I was his maid or something.

"But you said, we're going to watch a movie." I whine a little and to my surprise I just acted like a kid in front of him.

"No one asking you to come here early" he casually states then go to sleep, completely ignore me who is groaning in dissatisfied.

 

 

 


 

^_^