Chapter 48.

Love Story of An Ugly Girl.

The next day, Chanyeol called for Hana and said that he had an important thing to talk to her. They decided to meet up at the café shop where they used to hang out, and Hana didn’t know why but she felt very nervous. Something was off about the way Chanyeol talked to her through the phone; she could sense it. In fact, she could tell some that something was off with him for a while now, she just didn’t want to ask him, afraid of the answer she’d receive.

 “Hi!”

Hana greeted Chanyeol when she arrived at their table and Chanyeol gave her a small smile. He already sat there, waiting for Hana to come and sit by his side. Chanyeol called the waiter over and ordered two cups of coffee for them. He knew her favorite flavor so he needn’t ask before ordering.

When the waiter had retreated, leaving them alone, Hana turned to him.

“So, what do you want to tell me that you couldn't tell through the phone?”

Not answering her question right then, Chanyeol waited for the waiter to come back with their drinks. Taking a sip to gather his gut, Chanyeol turned to face Hana and began slowly and clearly.

“I’m going to study abroad for a year.”

Hana's was surprised at the sudden announcement, then she was disappointed. That meant they would be apart soon enough, and for a long time. Their relationship didn’t work out even when they were in the same city then how would it be when they were apart? Hana could feel a knot tied in her stomach but she forced herself to relax. Although she thought like that, Hana didn’t show it to Chanyeol, she straightened herself really quick and managed a tight smile at him.

“Really? I never know you want to study abroad. Why didn't you tell me anything? Where will you study?”

Chanyeol sipped his coffee then continued to tell her his plan.

“I was not sure about my decision before. I’ll take an economic course in New York.”

Hearing it, Hana was very disappointed. She bit her lips to keep her emotions at bay. She had a feeling she knew where Chanyeol was going with his plan. Forcing another smile on her face, she gave him her thought on the matter.

“I see. So you’ll be in the same city as Aecha? Go and meet up with her when you have time. I’ll wait for you to be back.”

Chanyeol shook his head a little, finding the right words to tell her his real plan. It was more difficult to break up with her than he thought. He’d just talk about random things first.

“Yeah, I also want to meet her. I don’t know where she lives though.”

Hana replied instantly, answering his unasked question. 

“I don’t know her address either. She didn’t tell me.”

Chanyeol looked at her in surprise. Aecha didn’t tell Hana her address? They were bestfriends, weren't they?

That girl really wanted to avoid him, huh? She left him no clues to find her at all.

Well, Aecha could hide all she wanted. It was not that he would give up that easily. He had all his life to find her, she just had to wait for him. However, before he could do it, he had another thing to do first. It was the hard part, but what should be done, would be done.

Chanyeol looked at Hana in the eyes and uttered, “Uh, Hana, you don’t have to wait for me.”

Her eyes widened, not knowing what he meant by that. Her heart sped up ten times faster in fear. Hana laughed dryly, she had this uneasy feeling in her gut again. Waving him off dismissively and she retorted.

“Of course I’ll wait for you. As long as it may take, I will be faithful. My heart won’t change, don’t worry about it.”

Chanyeol shook his head sadly. Maybe the truth was the best reason after all, he shouldn't beat around the bush.

 “I’m sorry but the one who has changed is me. The attraction I had for you has faded, and I’m afraid I can’t like you like before.”

Hana's heart stopped at his words. No way would he do that to her, he couldn’t do that. Even though she could feel it coming, she couldn't believe it. Two years ago, he was someone who would do anything to get her to date him. He would take whatever costs to spend time with her. She t-thought she was the center of his world? She thought he would wait for her for 3 years and they'd be the perfect couple? How could he just change like that? They have been together for two years, the attraction should have grown and not face. How could things turn out this way? No, it couldn't be real, Chanyeol must be bluffing!

Hana stuttered out her protest, “W-we’ll work on that somehow. We should spend more time together and get to know each other more. M-maybe we should go on a trip together sometimes? Whatever you want to do, Chanyeol, you tell me.”

But Chanyeol gently took her hands in his, squeezing it to sooth the numbness in her fingers somehow as he got his point straight.

“I don’t deserve you, an easily changing guy like me. I can’t assure you that I won’t change in my time in New York. You should find another guy better than me and date him. Let’s break up. I know I haven’t made you happy, so I don’t want you to be stuck by my side anymore.”

Hana's eyes watered, shaking her head crazily, she choked out, “I don’t care, I'm happy with you. I want you. I’ll wait for you.”

Chanyeol cupped her face and forced her to listen to him, making her look into his eyes.

“No, you won’t. Listen to me, you will find another guy that loves you more than I did. And I’ll find my other half. We aren't meant to be together, don't force it to happen.”

Hana sobbed, not saying anything but she still couldn't accept it. Things were happening too fast, she couldn’t… She just couldn’t.

 “No, I want you. I can wait. Don’t break up with me. As long as you still love me, I can change for the better. I’ll make you have interest in me all over again.”

Chanyeol sighed, hugging her to his chest and rubbing her back in circle to comfort the sobbing girl. He would let her calm down first and talk her into accepting the truth. Maybe if he broke up with her earlier, it might be easier on Hana. He just couldn't find it in him to face the truth until yesterday. His stupid actions had brought pains to both him and Hana, and maybe Aecha too though he was not sure. He had to fix it as soon as possible, he shouldn’t continue to pretend that he loved her anymore. Two years were more than enough, he had also suffered.

When Hana had stopped crying, breathing into his chest, Chanyeol began again.

 “Hana, I’m sorry, but I have someone else in my heart.”

There, Chanyeol finally admitted it to her. He just hoped it would make Hana accept the fact that they would break up anyway.

Hana pulled away upon hearing him say it. Sweeping her tears away, she inquired softly, “Is that Aecha?”

Chanyeol’s eyes widened in surprise as he looked at her in wonder, first it was Baekhyun, now it was Hana. How did they both know who had captured his heart? So Hana had known all along who Chanyeol loved? Why had her still dated him? He couldn't understand it.

 “H-how can you tell?”

Hana smiled sadly, shaking her head a little.

 “I’ve been alone with you for two years, been friends with both of you for 5 years. I’m not dumb, I could sense it. Let’s just say it’s woman’s instinct. But, I have known that you love her since a long time ago.”

Chanyeol wanted to ask why she still dated him but she beat him to it. She sighed, biting her lip in deep thoughts then confessed.

 “You remember the time you asked me to go on the ferris wheel with you along with Aecha? That time, I knew that you had interest in me. And you could say that I also had something for you. I didn’t show it doesn’t mean I didn’t feel it. I have feelings too, just like any other girls, I am just good at restraining and hiding it.”

 “You also liked me? Then why didn’t you want to be alone with me? I'm lost here.” Chanyeol countered, she was making him confuse as ever with her actions.

Hana chuckled dryly, “Because I don’t want love to interfere with my studies. I couldn’t risk being alone with you, being with you does weird things to my heart. It’d make it harder for me to control my feelings for you. I wanted to wait until I finished high school before dating you. And I did it just like how I planned it. I am not sure if it was a right decision, because I’m losing you because of that decision of mine.”

Inhaling deeply, Hana felt tears rushed to her eyes once more.

“That time, I had seen Aecha in your arms, and I admitted I hated it seeing you guys like that. I wanted to be in her place then, I just didn't allow myself to do it. From the way you two treated each other, I know what you both felt for each other. But I wasn’t afraid because you always ditched Aecha to be with me every time I asked you to. It was my way to see who you liked more. I thought I still had a more important place in your heart than Aecha. I thought after three years, you would still wait for me, you would still like me more. I guess I once again made a wrong decision. I had thought I could make it up to you when we started dating. But your heart hasn't been beating for me anymore, has it?”

Chanyeol nodded, confirming her thoughts because it was all true. Even if he didn’t realize it, Aecha had slowly made her way into his heart. She had taken it with her without him knowing. Sly thief that she is...

===

After a long, honest talk, Hana finally agreed to break up with Chanyeol. It was no point for them to be together when Chanyeol loved someone else. She couldn't keep him with her even if she wanted to. But since Hana still loved him, she asked him for one last favor, she wanted to take it as their last memory together.

“Chanyeol, kiss me. Dating me for two years but you have never kissed me on my lips. I know the reason why, and I don’t blame you for anything but I want your kiss. It is my first kiss and I want it to be with you. It's not much to ask for, isn't it?”

Chanyeol contemplated her words for a moment. It was true he had never kissed her before. Chanyeol didn’t know why but he just couldn’t bring himself to do it. Even during their most romantic moments, he only kissed her on the cheek or hugged her.

It was their last moment being a couple, should he grant her wish?

Chanyeol leaned in, one hand cupping her cheek, the other placed on her shoulder, making his intention clear to Hana. When his face was near, just a few inches apart from hers, Hana fluttered her eyes close and waited to feel his lips where she wants it the most.

After a long pause on Chanyeol’s part, she felt his lips on her cheek…one more time.

Pulling away, Chanyeol smiled gently at her and said genuinely, “It is special. Don’t waste it on me. Find a good guy and give it to him, you won’t regret it. I wish you luck.”

 

Rubbing her cheek with his thumb, Chanyeol continued, “I guess it’ll be hard for us to be normal friends after this break-up. But let’s try to, for Aecha. Alright?”

Hana also smiled a little, getting herself used to the fact that he wouldn’t be hers anymore. His heart was never hers anyway. She nodded and agreed, “Ok, I’ll try to. You go and find her. You have to make her happy, because you couldn’t make me so.”

 “I’m sorry about that. And yes, I’ll make her happy. As hard as it could be, I will try.”

Pulling her in for one last hug, Chanyeol felt grateful that he could end things smoothly with Hana. He got himself two precious girls, and he didn't know to appreciate each of them. But he hoped he could make things right this time.

Now, it’s time for him to go to New York and found the love of his life.

===

 Aecha stepped down the plane on Korean land, sunglasses on her eyes. Stretching her arms widely in the air to rub off the tiredness after the long ride, Aecha groaned.

 “Argh! I’m finally home!”

Her studies had ended after three years and now she was back to Korean. Her familiar homeland. It was different living in New York so she couldn’t wait to start her life here on the city where she grew up.

And she would make a happy family with her prince charming that she had yet to find.