Chapter 47.

Love Story of An Ugly Girl.

It had been two years since Aecha went to study in New York and she was doing well at her new place. She still kept in touch with Hana, Kris, and her parents. But none of them knew exactly where she lived in New York. All they knew was that she was doing well there. Aecha was hiding her address from people and her doing it had a purpose.

She had visited home three times on important holidays of Korean, but she hadn’t meet Chanyeol once. Well, she had tried to avoid him all the time, how could they meet like that? And as much as she tried to forget about him, about their time together, Chanyeol still lingered in the deep of her heart.

===

Aecha heard her name being called in the distance. She was not sure if someone was calling her or not, because she had other things occupying her mind. Her mind was else where.

“AECHA!”

Jerking back to reality at the harsh tone her new friend used, Aecha turned around abruptly and looked at Catherine in bewilderment.

“H-huh? What happened?”

Catherine shook her head understandingly; Aecha was at it again. Once in a while, Aecha was like she was in a different planet. The place could burn down and she probably wouldn't know.

“You like the game that much?”

Aecha's brows furrowed in confusion, not getting Catherine’s sudden statement. She regarded Cat weirdly.

“What game? Why the sudden question?”

“Angry bird, you’ve been looking at the angry bird toy for the past ten minutes. Not moving a muscle, not blinking an eye. You should be a monk. ”

Catherine raised an eyebrow at Aecha questioningly. She knew there was something behind the history of this stuffed toy, but Aecha just didn’t tell Cat. It must be memorable to Aecha because the girl would look at it occasionally then stare off into distance. It was like Aecha was in a different place every time she remembered the story behind it. It must be something unpleasant because Aecha was sad every time Aecha thought about it.

Aecha looked down at the toy in her hands, this is the first gift Chanyeol ever gave her and she still treasured it. Smiling sadly, Aecha muttered to herself rather than to her friend.

“This toy? Never mind it.”

By the soft tone Aecha was using, Catherine knew she shouldn’t ask for any further information. Aecha wouldn’t be happy with the memories, Catherine knew it.

“Ok then. Will you go to the group date with me this afternoon?”

Catherine asked enthusiastically, changing the topic. Aecha would be 21 years old this year, and according to her, she hadn’t dated anyone yet. And Catherine would be more than willing to change that fact. Aecha deserved any guy that she wanted. Despite her appearance, Aecha had the heart of an angel that any guy in their sane mind would fall for. It was just that Aecha didn’t try dating anyone, she shied away from any relationship.

Aecha opened , ready to refuse but Catherine beat her to it.

“Don’t make excuse with me now. You promised me to go last time I asked you.”

Aecha pouted at Cat then sighed. She guessed she had to go with her friend this time; Cat was very determined. Even when Aecha didn’t want to date anyone for the time being; it would still be a good way to help her forget Chanyeol if she met new people, right? Things weren't that bad, were they? It sounded reasonable enough, and Aecha had decided, she would try this group date thingy once. If anything, she'd just be alone like how she used to be.

===

Chanyeol plopped down on the couch in the living room of his rented apartment. He was rather tired after his long day dating outside. It had been a long day, longer than usual. Baekhyun, who shared the apartment with Chanyeol, walked out of his room and saw Chanyeol sprawling on the couch. He walked past him to the kitchen.

“How is your date with Hana?”

“Tired.” Chanyeol answered curtly and shrugged, stretching his muscles on the couch. He was indeed tired, physically and emotionally.

“You enjoyed it?” Baekhyun turned and gave Chanyeol his full attention as he asked.

“A bit.”

One more curt answer, Baekhyun didn’t like the way Chanyeol was answering him. Seems like Chanyeol didn’t enjoy his date as much as he should. It was not that Baekhyun didn't know it already, it's just Chanyeol didn't usually show his boredom about his relationship. Chanyeol had been like that for a long while already. Baekhyun must do something about it. Taking what he wanted from the kitchen, he then walked over to Chanyeol and asked his friend seriously, cutting the chase and getting right to the point.

“Do you still love Hana?”

Chanyeol looked up in shock at Baekhyun’s weird question. Why did Baekhyun ask such a stupid question? Wasn't the answer obvious? Hana had been Chanyeol's wanted sweetheart since his highschool day. He wanted to say yes automatically, but the words just didn’t come out of his mouth. It got stuck in his throat, he couldn't say it even to Baekhyun, someone irrelevant to his relationship. Chanyeol wondered if he could even say it to Hana...

Not answering Baekhyun, Chanyeol looked into distance, seemingly in deep thought. Does he love Hana? The answer should be obviously yes, but why did Chanyeol have to think to answer it? Why couldn't he just admit it like 3 years ago? Does he still love her now like he loved her then?  Had he ever loved her once or what he felt for her was just infatuation? His infatuation which he felt for the ideal girl his mind created? He wasn’t sure about his feelings anymore. Or was he trying to deny how he really felt?

After what seemed like forever, he finally confessed, the truth pouring out of him like a dam finally bursted.

“Being able to date Hana is like a mission accomplished for me. A mission I had tried to accomplish ever since I entered high school. I had tried every way possible to get close to her. I had wanted her attention more than anything. I had wanted her since the first time I laid eyes on her. I may have liked her at first, but I guess the attraction I had for her faded as time passed. Not that I don’t like her now, but I guess...it is not the same as before anymore. Things are different, I-I don’t know.”

Baekhyun nodded understandingly, he also knew it. It was obvious to him, an outsider. He just wanted Chanyeol to admit it himself.

“It is because of Aecha, am I right?”

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol in sympathy. Chanyeol looked up at him in the eyes, searching the sympathy and understanding in his friend's eyes, Chanyeol slowly nodded. It’s a high time he admitted the truth now.

“I thought that I only liked Aecha a little. But that “a little” is greater than I could ever foresee. I thought if she was away, I was with Hana, I could forget my unwanted feelings for her. But..." Chanyeol choked on his words, his emotions got the better of him. "But ever since she left, I’ve missed her like crazy, you don’t even know.”

Burying his face in his hands, Chanyeol croaked out agonizingly. He had missed Aecha days and nights, she was in his mind constantly. She was always there for him every time he needed her and now that she had left when he needed her the most...Chanyeol was lost. He didn't know what to do anymore. Aecha was always his adviser, and he needed her to tell what to do now. He wanted her to tell him how to stop his longing for her. He needed her in his life. What he wouldn't give to be able to meet her right then?

“Then why don’t you go and find her?” Baekhyun suggested, patting Chanyeol’s shoulder.

“I want to, but what about Hana? It’s unfair for her if I leave her now.” Chanyeol shook his head miserably; he didn’t know what to do anymore.

“And do you think that you being with Hana but thinking of Aecha all the time is fair for her? In fact, it is unfair for you, Hana and Aecha. You aren’t happy with dating Hana, you don’t love her the way she loves you. I’m sure Hana would feel it through the way you treat her, girls are sensitive. It is just that she doesn’t say anything about it. I bet that she is wondering what is wrong with your relationship. About Aecha, we don’t know whether or not she is also suffering somewhere in New York? She loved you but she didn't get you to love her back, she must be suffering not less than you do. You see, all the three of you aren’t happy, so why do you have to keep it going? Just put an end to all this tangled relationship and find Aecha.”

Baekhyun rambled on what he really thought, Baekhyun had waited for the chance to make Chanyeol open his damn eyes all this time. The way Chanyeol was living right now couldn’t continue any longer. That guy was like a zombie without soul, waiting for days to pass, he lived his life, but he didn’t enjoy it. Baekhyun would persuade Chanyeol to go and live the life he should, which was being with the one he loved.

Chanyeol looked up unsurely, he really wanted to do as Baekhyun suggested. Hell, he could fly to New York now if someone cleared the mess he left behind. But there was still something he needed to make his decision, a decision that he really wanted to make. Maybe it was encouragement, maybe it was support from other people to his once again selfish decision.

“But I don’t know her address, I’ve asked her parents and even they don’t know it. She keeps it from them. I just know her university, what if I can’t find her when I go there? What should I do then?”

Chanyeol had been wanting to look for Aecha for a long while now, so he gathered every information about her that he could. But she was very good at hiding from him, now he knew why Aecha didn’t want to keep in touch with him. The girl deliberately avoided him, she had this plan with her 3 years ago. He wasn’t really sure he could find her.

“You can continue your study there and look for her at the same time, it wouldn’t be a risky thing to do, right? You got admitted to a university in New York anyway. And don't look at me with those eyes, I found the letters from this university in your drawer." Baekhyun answered Chanyeol's suspicious eyes before continuing. "Like I said, why not try it out? Come on, don’t be a !”

Baekhyun advised Chanyeol and encouraged him at the same time, slapping Chanyeol's shoulder to stress his point. He knew Chanyeol wanted to go there, so he also knew about the university Chanyeol had applied for in New York. That guy was really good in school and he getting admitted was no surprise. Chanyeol just didn’t have the gut to go study there and look for Aecha. It's time to change that now.

Clasping his hands together, Chanyeol was in deep thought. Why did Baekhyun know so much? It was like the cheeky guy had been wanting to tell Chanyeol all those things for a long time now.

Chanyeol also had this thought in his mind. He even discussed it with his parents and they gladly allowed him to. Studying abroad would bring him more work opportunities when he graduated, that was a good thing.

Seems like going to New York was one of the best decision he should make, one that might bring Aecha back to him. That's what he cared about the most.

Now that he got more support from his best friend, what more did he need? Chanyeol had to make a final decision to end all the heartaches that he caused. He shouldn’t let it go on any longer. He didn’t love Hana, so he should free her heart so that she could find the love of her life. And Chanyeol too, he would find the love of his life.

He had one year left until Aecha came back to Korea. Would Chanyeol be able  to find her in this busy city?