Chapter 43.

Love Story of An Ugly Girl.

The next morning, Kris had freaked out when he saw Aecha as he woke her up. He was so mad when he knew the story and he wanted to teach Minwoo a lesson. However, Aecha had begged him to keep it a secret and let her do the work. She didn’t want him to make a fuss.

With the video that Aecha had spent hours to edit sent to the principal, Minwoo was grounded by his father for a long time. At least, when he was free, Aecha and Hana had graduated from his father’s high school so there was nothing to worry about anymore.

After the chaos and the kiss, Chanyeol didn’t act any different from before. About the bruises that Aecha tried to cover but couldn’t, Chanyeol did see them, but he didn’t ask if she were feeling better. He didn’t talk about their kiss either. Aecha guessed that they were back to let’s-be-normal-friends time again. Chanyeol always acted indifferently after they shared something special, Aecha was used to it already. Well, if he didn’t cherish their kiss, it’d be a precious secret for her then, she would remember and treasure it.

But, Aecha never knew that even when he didn’t show his concern towards her, Chanyeol still secretly glanced Aecha's way to check up on her. He only did it when she didn’t notice him.

Chanyeol had once more time succeed in keeping his feelings at bay.

 

He knew that he liked Aecha, but he still didn’t want to take things serious with her. He had been pursuing Hana for three years already. That year was their last year of high school, the possibility of him winning her heart was bigger and bigger; he couldn’t give up now.

Chanyeol would have Hana! About Aecha, she would be his close friend for the time being.

However, Aecha wasn’t satisfied with just being his friend anymore. Three years ago, she had thought that being near him was more than enough for her. Now, she wanted more than just being friends.

Just like what she was afraid of when she agreed to help Chanyeol, Aecha's feelings for him had been growing through the time they spent together.

How could she not like him more when he acted that way toward her? How could Aecha not love him when he cared for her? The signals he sent her way were mixed. One moment he cared about her; the next moment, he was cold toward her. But, the kiss proved to Aecha that Chanyeol also had feelings for her. Why else had he been so worried about her that day she was beaten? Why else had he kissed her twice? So why did he choose to be friends?

And as Aecha asked herself the questions, she knew the answers. It once more was because of her appearance, the bitter truth that Aecha knew better than anyone. It made her feel sad to know the reason, but Aecha accepted it anyway. It wasn’t that she could do anything else beside accepting that fact.

Nevertheless, she would try her best to make Chanyeol fall for her. It was three months before their graduation; she still had her chance.

If he still didn’t want her then, Aecha would give up her first one-sided love. After that, Aecha would find the real love of her life, the one who would love her no matter what, the one she had met in her dreams but she couldn’t see his face. Yes, she would find him. She believed that there would be that special person for her out there in this world. She just wondered if Chanyeol would be that someone?

===

Three months had passed and nothing much happened. This last year was a critical year for seniors like Exo and the two girls. A few months before graduation was especially important, so they spent most of their time on studying.

Aecha was by Chanyeol’s side as much as she could, and so was Hana. That fact had Aecha worried; Hana was so weird lately. Was there a chance that…maybe, Hana also liked Chanyeol?

===

They had finished their studies and were waiting for the graduation day to come, then after that they would separate, going to universities. There were two days left and Aecha was determined to confess her feelings to Chanyeol on the graduation day, after their celebrations with their families. She was nervous to face this moment.

A day before their graduation, Aecha had asked Chanyeol to meet up with her after he celebrated with his parents. He agreed with her and didn’t suspect anything. Just asking him to meet her was enough to make Aecha freak out. How could she handle the nervousness when the deed really came? Aecha didn’t know how, but one thing for sure, she’d tell him her feelings.

 

The night before the important day, Hana slept over at Aecha’s house, and Hana could clearly see Aecha’s anxiety.

“Hey! You have something in mind?” Hana touched Aecha’s arm and asked softly.

“Yeah…” Aecha muttered then blushed just by imagining the scene in which she confessed to Chanyeol.

“Guy problem? Mind sharing me?” Hana asked curiously, looking at Aecha’s face expectantly.

“How could you know that?” Aecha asked, surprised.

Hana knew nothing about these lovey-dovey things. How could she know Aecha was having a guy problem?

“You reactions, I can tell. I’ve been observing you.” Hana shrugged nonchalantly. Of course Hana would know, Aecha shouldn’t underestimate her like that.

“I see. Since when did you start caring about those kinds of things?” Aecha asked, but didn’t let Hana answer, she continued, “Yes, it is a problem with a guy. I’ll tell you when it’s the right time.”

The right time was when Chanyeol accepted her feelings. Otherwise, Aecha wouldn’t tell Hana, it was embarrassing somehow.

“That’s ok. I also have guy problem,” said Hana to no one in particular. Her bottom lip jutted out a bit in a pout.

Aecha's eyes widen in shock as she shrieked in excitement, “Seriously? Guy problem?!? Hana, did I hear it wrongly?”

“Of course, I’m a girl, you know? Last time I checked, I’m still straight. It can’t be girl problem.”

“But, I mean…I mean…Nevermind. Hana, you must tell me now!” Aecha turned to Hana excitedly, being ready to hear her story.

If Hana liked someone, it would mean a lot to Aecha. Because Chanyeol would give up on Hana and Aecha would have more chance with him.

Hana hesitated for a moment, but she told Aecha nonetheless.

“You may not know, but Chanyeol had asked me to be his girlfriend a few months ago. I didn’t want to accept his feelings then. Actually, I have been taking a like in him for a while now. I just didn’t want to date anyone at that time, I was afraid that being in a relationship would affect my study. You know me. Plus, my parents wouldn’t allow it anyway. So I rejected him.”

Hana paused, looking up to see if Aecha had anything to comment. But Aecha said nothing, putting on a poker-face.

Taking a long breath, Hana continued, “Tomorrow, after the graduation party, I’ll go and ask him. If he still wanted me to be his girlfriend, we would date when we enter university. I haven’t asked if he have other plan tomorrow yet, but hopefully he don’t have any other plans. After graduating, we won’t meet each other for a month so tomorrow would be the last time we meet before entering university. I have to tell him my final answer. Hopefully, he’d…”

 

The few last lines Hana said, Aecha couldn’t hear them. She couldn’t concentrate on what she was saying, actually. Aecha blanched at every word that left Hana’s mouth. A dreadful feeling replaced the nervousness Aecha felt before. Why must things be like that?

Why must they confess at the same time? It was probably because it was the last day they were high school students.

Aecha hated the cruel reality. She had already known how her confession would be, who would get his heart.

Still, Aecha wanted to ask…

Who would you choose, Chanyeol?