Chapter 32.

Love Story of An Ugly Girl.

A day before Chanyeol's birthday, and Aecha was gradually learning her way of making the perfect cake. Chanyeol surely had his own taste. The cake he liked was the most difficult cake Aecha had ever made. Well, given that Aecha hadn’t had much experience in the baking department, it’s still very difficult cake to bake. When Aecha asked her mother for some tips to make the cake better, her mom had stared at the recipe that Aecha had copied from the internet for a few minutes then dismissed Aecha.

“Why do you suddenly want to make such a cake? It’s so complicated to bake; I can tell just by looking at its recipe. If you want eat it, just go to the shop to buy one.”

“But mom, I want to try to make it. Plus, I’m halfway through with it, mom. Can you help me with the rest?”

“But it takes a lot of time to make. See there, it says two hours or so. I don’t really have time.” Her mom pointed at the recipe and explained, willing Aecha to give up making it.

It’s not like Aecha didn’t know. She knew what she was asking for.

“But I have to bake it no matter what. Mom, help meeeeee.” Aecha whined and swang her mom’s hand around. She really needed some advices from her mom, she had many experiences.

Mrs. Park stared at Aecha. She thought for a moment and her eyes lit up with a thought she came up with. Smiling widely at Aecha, she asked in a teasing voice.

“Is the cake for Chanyeol? I heard Kris talked something about his birthday this weekend?”

Aecha flushed and looked down, avoiding her inquiring eyes. Aecha didn’t want to tell.

“Is it for him? Tell me, tell me!” She pressed on, nudging Aecha by the waist to tease the girl.

After hesitating for a while, Aecha finally muttered petulantly, “Y-yeah, I want to give him a handmade present.”

“I know it, he he he. Ok, if it is the case, come here sweetheart!”

The woman smiled happily at Aecha and led her way to the kitchen. Then, they cooked together, Mrs. Park showed Aecha some tips to make the cake even better. And, she was very pleased that Aecha actually could cook.

 

An hour and a half later, the mother and her daughter presented their family a perfect cake. It looked perfect to them anyway. And as Aecha asked her dad to taste it, he had moaned out in delight because of the wonderful flavor.

Ok then, everything was going exactly where Aecha wanted. She would try baking it by herself one more time and she’d make the final cake on his birthday.

Hopefully, everything would be perfect.

But Aecha didn’t know that things wouldn’t turn out like she imagined it to be.

On Chanyeol's birthday, they still had school in the morning so he had invited everyone to come to his house and celebrated the special day with him in the afternoon.

Things went smoothly. They had had so much fun partying that no one wanted to leave his house. As the others gave him their gifts, Chanyeol frowned momentarily when he didn’t receive one from Aecha. The girl surely would prepare something for him, right?

But he didn’t dwell on that thought much. He shrugged it off and partied the day away. Hana was extremely sweet on that day. She had been by his side most of the time, she had fun, she told a few jokes to make him laugh, and she wished him a happy birthday. And Chanyeol loved it, he couldn’t get the wide smile off his face.

Aecha got home at 6 pm that day and the girl rushed to her kitchen to prepare the cake. She hadn’t expected the party to last so long, so she wasn’t sure she’d finish the cake in time. Seeing as she hurried around the kitchen, her mom had offered a helping hand but Aecha refused. She insisted on doing it by herself. It would be more meaningful that way.

By 9 pm, after a lot of effort, the cake had been done well and wrapped beautifully in a white box. Glancing at the clock, Aecha was slightly taken a back. It was so late. Taking her jacket, Aecha set off to his house quickly; Chanyeol’s house was ten minutes away from hers if she walked on foot. It’s a November night so the weather was cold and dry; the street was deserted already even though it’s just 9 pm. Clutching the jacket to herself, Aecha shivered a little in cold and fear. Being alone on the sidewalk at night was making Aecha feel paranoid. Glancing around, Aecha saw if there were someone following her. Chuckling to herself, Aecha thought, you are delusional, who would want to follow an ugly duck like you? Even has his own taste of target.

But still, it was scary walking alone to his house this late at night. And she dreaded the way back to her house.

 

Arrive safely at his doorsteps, Aecha heaved out a sigh of relief and rang the bell. Chanyeol rushed to it, thinking one of his friends had forgotten something at his home, because he did see a pair of strange glovers in his room.

“Hey! Forget someth…” He said out loud while opening the door. He then stopped talking at the sight of Aecha standing in front of him, smiling sheepishly at him. It was quite a surprise to see her since he hadn’t expected her here.

“Hi!” Aecha timidly greeted. Seeing him in his pyjamas, ready to go to sleep was an interesting memory to be hold.

“Hi! Why are you here? Anyway, let’s get inside. It’s cold outside.” Chanyeol stepped aside to invite her in.

Aecha got in and sat on one of the couches, waiting for him to fetch her some water.

“Why are you here so late?” Chanyeol asked again when he returned from the kitchen with two cups of water.

“A-ah, yeah.” Aecha stuttered and swallowed. God, she was so nervous. her dry lips, Aecha began. “Actually, I baked you the cake that you said you want to eat. It-it’s my present for you. Hope you’ll like it.” Reaching for the gift she had prepared, Aecha gave it to him. “Here, happy birthday.” Smiling as Aecha wished him a happy birthday, Aecha waited for his reactions.

A few seconds ticked by and she still hadn’t gotten any reactions from him.

Chanyeol just stared at it, he was speechless. Now that he remembered the time she suddenly asked him about his likes and dislikes, he knew the reason why now. She had especially pressed him on telling what he wanted to eat. Chanyeol found it really odd back then.

So, she had prepared the girt from then? And the cake he liked was one of the most complicated cakes he knew, even his mother wouldn’t bake him one when he insisted on eating one. She always told him to buy it at the shop, because making it took time and it was hard to make. The cakes he bought were good, but Chanyeol had always dreamed of someone willing to make it for him. Now that his wish was granted when he least expected, he didn’t know how to react, or what to feel. He was in awe of the cake, in awe of Aecha. Was it love that he was receiving at that moment? She must have gone a long way to make it for him. Why was he so lucky to have Aecha by his side?

After a few minutes of awkward silent, and Chanyeol still didn’t reply to her birthday wish, Aecha muttered in embarrassment,

“Guess I’ll just leave it here.”

But before she could place it on the table, Chanyeol reached out and took it from her hands, hugging it gently to his chest.

“Thank you very much.” He could say just that, his eyes full of attitude. “I don’t know exactly how to make it, but as far as I know it’s difficult to make. It must have taken you a lot of time. Again, thank you. It’s one of the best gifts I have ever received.”

“I’m glad that you like it.”

A smile slowly broke on her face when she saw his reactions. Aecha then grinned widely at him, her efforts were paid off. He seemed to like it very much. Well, it’s his favorite cake after all. Most favorite of all the time to be exact, like what Chanyeol had told her.

After receiving the cake, Chanyeol put it in the fridge, he didn’t want to eat it just yet. They talked for a little bit, about ten minutes or so and Aecha took her cue to leave.

“Again, I’m glad you like it. I’ll get going now, it’s quite late already.” Aecha stood up, taking her jacket and prepared to leave.

“You walked here alone?” Chanyeol frowned as it suddenly dawned on him, it’s dangerous for her to walk to his house that late.

“Uh-h, yeah.”

Aecha blinked at the serious and worried tone he used.

“I’ll walk you home.” Chanyeol was also taking his jacket.

“No, you don’t have to.” Aecha waved her hands in refusal, but Chanyeol was determined.

“No, let’s go.”

And as Chanyeol insisted, they walked together to Aecha’s house.

Walking side by side, but the two of them didn’t say anything to each other. Glancing at him from occasionally to see what he was thinking, but all Aecha saw was a Chanyeol deep in thought. Was he avoiding talking to her again? He just walked her home because he thought it was dangerous for her, but in fact Chanyeol didn’t want to walk with her? They were fine at his house just now, weren’t they? Negative thoughts flooded Aecha’s mind.

Finally, Aecha couldn’t stand it anymore. She asked him the question that had been irking her.

“Sorry to mention it again, but…I feel that you are distancing yourself from me again?” Aecha peeked up at his face to gauge his mood, but Chanyeol kept on a poker face and kept walking.

Aecha trailed behind him, looking at his back. After a while, Chanyeol stopped and announced.

“Hana and I will go on a date tomorrow and I’m going to confess to her.”