Chapter 33.

Love Story of An Ugly Girl.

Aecha stopped abruptly on her track, shocked at the news she just heard.

Ok, she knew so well how much Chanyeol liked Hana, but he would confess to the said girl? It’s still too soon! Plus, why didn’t he tell Aecha anything? They didn’t hang out much, but Aecha still helped him in some situations where Hana was mattered. Aecha thought she was his one and only ally? Now, he didn’t even consider her advise on the matter and decided all by himself. What was Aecha to Chanyeol then?

Aecha tried to find any reasons she could think of to make herself angry, but all she felt at the moment was a growing fear. She feared that maybe Hana would accept his confession, feared that maybe they would be an item tomorrow. Aecha was afraid that Chanyeol wouldn’t want anything to do with her anymore after he got what he wanted. Aecha was scared.

Aecha had stopped, but Chanyeol still kept walking like the thing he just said was the most normal thing ever. Just what did he think at that moment?

Snapping out of her trance of thought, Aecha caught up with him quickly and bombarded him with questions, trying to keep him from confessing to Hana.

“Why do you suddenly want to confess to her?”

“Because we are pretty close lately and I think she would agree to date me.”

Chanyeol casted her a side glance, he then turned back to the road in front of him.

“But, isn’t it a little early to ask her out now? I had told you to wait till she graduates, didn’t I?”

“I don’t think it’s.”

Chanyeol was still walking and Aecha half ran, half walked to keep up with his pace. Why was he walking so fast?

“But, I said Hana wouldn’t date until after graduation. Don’t you remember?”

“That’s what you said.”

“So you don’t believe me?” Aecha raised her voice and yanked Chanyeol back so he would stop walking and face her. She was masking her growing anxiety with her anger. She knew she was being a little unreasonable but she didn’t know what else to do. She wanted him to stop this plan of his!

“Not that I don’t believe you. I just want to try my luck.”

 

Chanyeol answered smoothly, keeping an impassive face and gave nothing away of what he was thinking at the moment. It was like he had prepared to answer Aecha’s questions from before.

He knew Aecha liked him, even a dummy could know that. Baekhyun and Lay had asked him if he knew about her feelings, he just shrugged at them. There were many of girls crushing on him, and Aecha was just one of them. The only difference was that he also liked her, but only a little, it was not enough for him to overcome her appearance and to love her.

He had been determined to date Hana and he would get what what he wanted. He had prepared his confession long enough that he knew Hana couldn’t reject him. Plus, it was right after his birthday that he confessed to her, Hana wouldn’t be too cold-hearted and rejected him, would her? So, he believed Hana would agree  to be his girlfriend by the end of tomorrow. It was only the matter of time now.

He had planned to tell Aecha about his confession when its result came out. But, now that he told her, her reactions were all that he expected, he wasn’t even surprised. However, what he didn’t foresee was the hurt and fear Aecha felt inside. Chanyeol wouldn’t know about them, either. Aecha was very good at keeping her emotions inside.

===

Listening to his reasoning, Aecha didn’t know what to say anymore; so she took a deep breath to calm herself down.

“I see, so you will confess to Hana tomorrow? Good luck to you then!”

“Thanks. And, I’ll tell you the result as soon as possible.”

Chanyeol smiled, Aecha was more supportive than he expected. He liked it.

“That’s nice of you.”

When Aecha said that, they also arrived at her house. Such a walk they just had, many emotions were evoked inside Aecha. She just wanted to curl up in her room.

“Thanks for walking me home.”

With that said, Aecha turned to bow to him briefly and rushed inside her house quickly, trying to get into her room in an instant.

Chanyeol stood on the sidewalk and watched Aecha's back until it disappeared behind the doors, and he didn’t know why there was this ache in his heart, deep down his heart when he saw her like that…Shaking his head to clear his mind, Chanyeol pumped his fist in the air and cheered to himself.

“Try your best tomorrow, Chanyeol! Hwaiting! You can make her your girlfriend!”

Turning around, Chanyeol went back the way to get to his house, leaving Aecha behind, who was trying her best not to cry.

 

Aecha slumped on her bed, face down on the mattress; she was exhausted mentally and physically. Baking the cake surely took a lot of her strength. Aecha smiled bitterly at the thought of her cake; yeah, the cake that she had thought would bring them closer. If she didn’t bring it to him, she wouldn’t know the terrible news. And, she would still be happy now. But, she wanted to know his plan, so she could prepare herself when the result came.

Argh, so confusing!!

Clutching her head, Aecha dismissed her wandering thoughts. After a moment, Aecha was back in deep thought. And there crept up on her the urge to cry, so she bit her lower lips hard to contain it. She was now a strong girl, she had cried enough when she was small, she didn’t want to do it anymore. Chanyeol was just another guy using her to get to Hana, he wasn’t worth her tears. Though she felt like he actually cared for her when she was with him, the results of her hope would always be the same, them leaving her behind.

Last time that she helped someone, she felt used, but that was ok. Now with Chanyeol, she felt hurt, and she was scared. Chanyeol could make a girl like her vulnerable and weak. Aecha was vulnerable and weak now, and she didn’t like feeling that way. Swallowing hard, Aecha succeeded on keeping in her tears. Rolling over on her back on the bed, Aecha smiled the largest smile she could muster and thought to herself, alright, enough with the mushy crap. Sleep now and wake up tomorrow. Life without Chanyeol wasn’t the end of the world.

Just like that, Aecha closed her eyes and tried to sleep. But her much needed sleep didn’t come to her easily. She tossed and the bed for a few hours until exhaustion taking over her body.

Chanyeol’s date would be on Sunday so they didn’t have school, Aecha couldn’t meet Chanyeol either. Aecha just had to wait then, and the anxiety would kill her. Aecha knew it.

 

9 am Sunday.

Aecha was sitting in front of her laptop; it was on but she didn’t touch it. Her mind was elsewhere. It’s was silent in her room until suddenly, Kris barged in.

Aecha looked up briefly then sighed in annoyance; Kris must want to play with her again.

“Kris, I don’t feel well today. I don’t want to play with you. Just leave me alone.”

“So,…you know.” Kris stated when he heard what Aecha told him just now. He knew the girl too well.

“Know what?” Aecha arched an eyebrow at him questioningly.

“Chanyeol is going to confess today,” said the tall guy as he walked to where she was sitting on her bed.

“Yeah, so?” Aecha shrugged, tried her best to look like she didn’t care and looked away from Kris.

Kris sat on her bed, taking her laptop off her laps and hugged her tightly. Aeche was surprised at first, but then realization slowly dawned in her and she knew what Kris was trying to do. Aecha struggled in his arms, wanting him to let her go, but Kris just tightened his hold on her.

“What is this, Kris? Let me go.”

Rubbing her back soothingly, Kris said in that deep voice of his.

“It’s the first time that I see you like someone so much. It must be bad for you.” Aecha stilled in his arms, listening to him. She was right, he was trying to comfort her. It had been a long time since they were like that again.

“Aecha, cry all you want. I’m here for you. I’ll always be there.”

Aecha didn’t say anything at first, but she also didn’t struggle anymore. At the end of the day, it were her family who would always be by her side, she just felt grateful that she had a cousin like Kris. As much of a cocky jerk as he could be, he was still the best cousin for Aecha.

After being in his arms for a while, Aecha finally poured all her heart out; she clutched on him tightly and started crying like a baby. It had been forever since the last time Aecha cried as hard. It felt nostalgic somehow. When they were small, Aecha used to be made fun of by her friends, both boys and girls. She was so lonely and pitiful back then. She was weak against them. And Kris was always there to protect her, chasing away the bullying and holding her crying. He was like a big brother that Aecha never had.

It had been years of him holding her as she cried her heart out, until she was strong enough to stand up for herself. Now, Aecha never showed her weak side, but Kris knew better than that. For him, she was still the little girl that he always protected, and Aecha could always be her true self when she was with Kris. They just had this special bond.

“I’m scared, Kris.” Aecha sobbed, hugging him closer, relishing on the way he was rubbing her back.

“I know, I know, ugly duck. If he left, I would always be here for you. Just don’t think much about him.”

Kris patted her head lightly, smoothing her long black hair. And he let Aecha be in his arms for as long as Aecha wanted to.

Finally, when Aecha had collected herself, she pulled back, wiping her tears away, smiling a little in gratitude.

“Thank you. I’m ok now, don’t worry about me.”

“That’s my ugly duck.” He patted her cheek and smiled pleasantly at her. Aecha was back to normal, at least for now.

“That’s mean to call me that way.” Swatting his hand away, Aecha glared at him playfully.

“And you calling me jerk isn’t mean?”

Sticking her tongue out at him, Aecha smiled and pushed him off her bed. Kris nearly fell, but he grabbed onto Aecha just in time.

And they were back like usual, bickering and playing around.

Thanks to Kris, Aecha felt a lot better after the small talk. She realized that, love wasn’t everything. Her family would always be there for her.

===

6 pm, as she was helping her mom do some chores, Aecha received a text. It was from Chanyeol.

_Come to me._

Looking at the few words he sent, it took Aecha a moment to reply. Finally, the result came and she was anxious all over again.

_Ok, wait for me._

Aecha went to his house, the dreadful feelings crept up on her.