Chapter 23.

Love Story of An Ugly Girl.

As her parents had planned, Aecha would take her jaw surgery a week after her birthday. But, since the recovering process would take about 4-6 weeks, it wouldn't be good for her studies. So, to not affect her studies, her parents changed their mind and she would take it when summer vacation started.

Aecha was still scared, but with all the support she received, the girl was ready for the summer to come.

During the surgery, she was unconscious so she didn’t feel anything. But after that, the healing process was all it promised to be: uncomfortable, tiring, painful, and she felt weak, very weak for the first few days.

First day after the deed was done, Aecha wasn’t able to sleep much and her face was freezing all night long because of the ice packs wrapped around it. Lying on the comfy bed but she felt like she was in hell. She drooled constantly, lots of blood and sticky substance churned inside , nose and throat. All of these side affects, and her exhaustion made her fall in and out of conscious. She didn’t have energy to think or to feel anything.

It’s much better if she was unconscious all the time, so she didn’t have to come through all the pains.

 

Second day, it was a bit better for Aecha. She didn't drool as mush as before, there was no more blood. But, her jaw started swelling. Aecha still couldn’t be able to talk, but she could be more conscious and she could see all the people visiting her. They were Kris, Hana and her parents. Well, not many people were allowed to be around her because she was still very weak. She needed rest and she couldn’t welcome her relatives just yet.

 

Third day, all the effects from the surgery on the first day had ceased, but her swelling had peaked. It made her hurt so much that only a small movement brought her pain. And, her face looked horrible, like that of a pig. There were some close relatives and their parents’ friends visited her. Aecha was very grateful for the love she received from them. They all wished her to get better soon and showered her with encouragements. Hana visited occasionally to talk to Aecha, so that the girl wouldn’t feel bored. Sometimes, she even brought her books to study in the hospital. That made Aecha roll her eyes, what was with this girl and studies? She couldn’t live without her books, really. But, Aecha smiled anyway, she got a best friend ever. When Hana visited, she would stay all day long with Aecha. It was really boring to stay in the hospital because Aecha couldn't talk. Maybe, studying was her way to kill boredom. Still, it showed how much Hana cared for Aecha.

 

With all the people had visited her, Aecha always looked for the tall figure that was not Kris’s. But, four days had passed and he still hadn't shown up yet. Chanyeol didn't phone or text her, either. Aecha pursed her lips in deep thought. He wouldn’t be that cold toward her, right? There was distance between them, but they were still friends the last time they talked. Aecha had been hoping for a bit of his concern.

 

Maybe, he just didn’t know about her condition, because summer vacation had started and they didn’t contact much.

Maybe, he had things to do. Summer vacation started, many students traveled around. Chanyeol might go on his own trip, too.

Maybe, things between them really ended. They were merely normal classmates now? 

 

How she wished he was here with her. Just for a while and it's enough. Normally, she was a strong and confident girl. But, it's when she were weak that she needed a caring hand the most. And what's more, Chanyeol was the one she liked, or did she love him already? Her heart ached when she didn't hear anything from him. She wanted his attention, his concern.

 

But, hardly had she known, Chanyeol knew her conditions every day. He didn't want to show that he cared too much, but Chanyeol couldn't help it. First day after the surgery, Chanyeol had texted Kris, he was his source of information.

 

_How is she? Did the surgery go well?_

_The surgery is a success. Aecha's condition is quite bad. But, she is recovering. You shouldn’t visit just yet, maybe tomorrow will do._

_Alright, thank you._

 

Second day, Chanyeol asked again. His worries were killing him.

_Is she any better?_

_Yes, a bit. But, her jaw starts swelling. It looks scary._

_I see._

_Why don’t you go and see yourself?_

 

No reply from Chanyeol.

 

Third day, the texting continued.

_How is Aecha today?_

_A lot better than the first day, but the swelling has peaked. Why aren't you here already? I thought I told you to come and visit her yesterday? I think she wants to see you. You two were pretty close at school. You can go with Exo if you want._

_Yeah, I’ll see about it._

 

Just, what kept Chanyeol from visiting Aecha when he clearly wanted to see her?