Chapter 31.

Love Story of An Ugly Girl.

Three months into the second year of high school and Chanyeol still treated Aecha as he had decided. He and Aecha were still friends, but they were not as close as before, and Chanyeol found it good for him. He didn’t think about Aecha as much, and he didn’t miss their moments either. It was so true that time passed and feelings changed.

 

Lately, Chanyeol had also hung out with Hana more than ever. The girl had also started to notice other things about him, not just his good studying. Like that time, as the two of them were walking down the hallway towards the library, Hana was reading some papers and Chanyeol was examining his left arm. He had fallen on his doorsteps when he rushed to school in the morning and there were some scratches on it. It only hurt a bit but still, he had to see if there was any serious damage. He was rubbing his skin when suddenly, some slender fingers wrapped themselves around his arm and pulled it.

 

“You have some scratches here. Let me see,” said Hana as she focused on his left arm.

 

Chanyeol was startled at the contact. It was the first time Hana had ever touched him, and it surprised him. Then she rubbed the tender flesh gently, sending tingling feelings all over his body. That feeling, it was like when he kissed Aecha and Chanyeol liked it. Oh no, not Aecha again, he mustn’t think of her. Chanyeol shook his head, dismissing the memory and turned his attention to the girl in front of him instead. Chanyeol bit his lower lip to contain his stupid smile as Hana was tending his arm. Hana looked so cute when her brows furrowed together as she examined his injured arm. Finally, she let go of his arm and rummaged through her bag.

 

“Let me cover it.”

 

Then Hana pulled out a cooling bandage. She attentively wrapped it around Chanyeol's arm, covering the scratches.

 

“There, all done. Let’s go.” Hana beamed at him, proud of her handy work.

 

“Thank you very much.” Chanyeol smiled widely and followed the girl to the library. Maybe, he should injure himself more often.

 

===

 

On Aecha's part, she still wondered what she did wrong after all the three months. Chanyeol was not as close to her as before. He didn’t make it too obvious like the end of last year, but she could sense that. Alright, whatever Aecha did wrong, she didn’t know because Chanyeol didn’t tell her. But, Aecha would have her way of making up with him. It’s near his birthday anyway. Thinking that to herself, Aecha pulled out her phone to text the guy.

 

_Hey! Tell me your likes and dislikes._

 

_Why the sudden question?_

 

Chanyeol frowned as he read the text. They hadn’t texted to each other for a while now.

 

_Just tell me._

 

Aecha replied in an instant.

 

_No, you tell me why first._

 

Chanyeol was stubborn.

 

Aecha sighed, it seemed like she had to think of an excuse. Scratching her head, her brain started working. Then she smiled in mischief. It would work.

 

_You once said that you wanted to know the things you have in common with Hana, right? Tell me and I’ll tell you._

 

_Ok then…_

 

Chanyeol was baffled for a moment because all of a sudden, Aecha brought that question up. He had asked her the question ages ago. But, Chanyeol still told Aecha truthfully. Aecha also thought for a bit and told him some random things that he and Hana had in common. And Aecha had the information she wanted. Since Chanyeol said that he wanted to eat homemade cake; Aecha had decided to bake him a cake as a present for his upcoming birthday.

 

Though it was very difficult to make a cake, she would try to do it. She was quite good at cooking anyway; it wouldn’t be a problem for her, would it? Plus, his birthday was two weeks away from now, Aecha still had plenty of time to practice and perfect her baking skills.

 

===

 

A week later, and that was her third cake already. Baking was really hard, it was not like how Aecha had imagined it to be. But, she was trying her best. The cake she just baked looked yummy enough to eat. Would it taste like how it looked? It’s the main question, and Aecha needed volunteer to eat it and answer her.

 

“Kris! Just this time, I’m begging you. It looked good enough, right?”

 

Aecha smiled brightly and brought the cake to Kris.

 

“No, just no! Last time, you also said that and it tasted like poison.” Kris covered his mouth, shaking his head crazily as he backed away from her.

 

“But, it was last time. I learned from my failure.” Aecha still tried to convince him, advancing to where he was standing.

 

“No, don’t lure me. I won’t fall into your trap, ugly duck,” said the tall guy as he ran behind the couch separating him with Aecha.

 

“Please, just a bite. Please, please, please, my handsome Kris. You are the best cousin in the world.”

 

His eyes lit up when he heard her calling him handsome. Aecha hardly admitted that fact, and he wanted to hear it from her even if it’s just for her purpose. Kris had agreed to try the cake when Aecha agreed to call him with many good things that she could come up.

 

And, the cake tasted much better than the last one she baked. Even when it lacked some flavors, Kris admitted that Aecha improved a lot.

 

Aecha cheered silently to herself. With that process, she would make a wonderful cake on Chanyeol’s birthday. And hopefully, after he accepted her present, they would be closer to each other again, and her attempt wouldn’t go to waste.