CHOICE

I Will Make You Love Me

“10 thousand American dollars, our Geun Suk catches your Yoo Rin.” Jang Ji-Hoon said staring at the wide screen monitor.

“Ha! I call that bet and add 5 thousand American dollars that my granddaughter gets away and kicks your grandson's .” Seong Rin Hyung boasted. Then he started coughing. Ji-Hoo’s breath started whizzing.

Jang Choi stared at the old men in disbelief. They were in Jang Ji-Hoo’s rest house on the highest part of Grand Island. They’ve been there since the day before. By now Choi knew that Geun Suk wasn’t happy that their grandfather got involved in this.

“You’re granddaughter isn’t bad Rin Hyung, a bit too skinny but very agile.” Ji-Hoo praised watching Yoo Rin as she swung from one branch to another evading pursuit from a red capped boy.

“Of course, she’s my blood after all.” Rin Hyung said proudly “What’s the matter with your grandson? I thought we gave him enough time to persuade Yoo Rin to marry him, what happen?” Rin Hyung said picking the skin off his the grape and tossing it in his mouth.

Ji-Hoo glanced at Choi, Choi shrugged his shoulders. Choi didn’t want to be a part of this strange conversation.

“Ya! If your granddaughter is anything like you, You old coot! She’d be just as stubborn.” Ji-Hoo countered

Rin Hyung gave a laugh. “That she is. Made up her mind to study in the Yankee country.” Rin Hyung said with great disapproval.

“Ya! That sounds bad. Maybe we should set the engagement next week, before the children graduate?”Ji-Hoo said. Rin Hyung made an agreeable sound.

“I don’t understand why Yoo Rin is so against Geun Suk. He seems to be a decent sort and I say this not because he’s your grandson, My grandson, Bong-hyung thinks so as well.” Rin Hyung said thoughtfully.

“I wonder that as well, I thought they were childhood friends, What changed?” Ji-Hoo said glancing at Choi for answers.

Choi sighed it seems he’d end up saying something. “Geun Suk didn’t tell Yoo Rin he was Park Shin Hoon.”

“What?!” the old men shouted in unison.

***

Geun Suk was certain Yoo Rin would be within the trees. It would be her first choice since she’s a climber. So far, he kept more of an eye on the red capped guy. Geun Suk wondered who he was. Between the red capped boy and Shin Kai, Geun suk is more nervous about the mysterious red capped. Geun Suk rubbed the back of his head frustration. His grandfather had a hand in this game, and since Bong-hyung was involved he guessed Yoo Rin’s grandfather would be involved in this as well. Neither of the old men was terminally ill, so why are they in such a hurry to marry them off? A loud thud, like something or someone fell on the ground. Geun Suk swore under his breath. Yoo Rin. Geun Suk started running towards the sound.

“Ah…ah….”Shin Kai groaned massaging his lower back. Geun Suk let out a relived breath. It wasn’t Yoo Rin.

“Are you alright?” Geun Suk asked although he doesn’t offer to help Shin Kai up.

“I never knew Yoo Rin was so fast. I thought I’d outrun her but she gave me the slip.” Shin said standing up with a groan.

“I doubt if you ever knew her before this year.” Geun Suk countered.

Shin Kai eyed Geun Suk cautiously. “You’re one to talk.”

Geun Suk stared at Shin Kai with great hostility.

“I don’t know who you are exactly but from what I found out you were not Jang Geun Suk until 3 years ago.” Shin Kai said with a smirk

***

Yoo Rin shook her head to clear it. Yoo Rin wiped the cold sweat from her brow with a shaking hand. She wondered how she got into this in the first place. Would going out with the treasure hunt winner be so bad? At this moment at this time, a date didn't sound so bad.

Night was about to fall. Yoo Rin didn’t really like what’ll happen to her once it does, Grand Island was open air, this means she would be swallowed by the darkness.

“Ya! Little girl. Still hell bent on hiding?”the red capped boy yell in muffled voice at Yoo Rin from the branch below hers.

Yoo Rin stood up, clutching the trunk of the tree in surprise. The red capped boy was fast and quiet. Yoo Rin started climbing up as fast as she could. Yoo Rin heard the red capped boy swear and start after her.

Yoo Rin decided to ditch the tree and start running on land. Yoo Rin watched her step, knowing her oppa would lay traps. Yoo Rin hid behind a tree and looked back to the screaming red cap.

“YAW! Ah! Ah!” Red capped screamed. He was now holding on to his baseball cap while hanging upside down by a leg. “Han Yoo Rin!”

Yoo Rin let out a relieved breath. That’ll stop red cap for a while. Yoo Rin turned and came face to face with-

“Yoo Rin.”Geun Suk said softly

Yoo Rin gasped. Geun Suk placed both his arms on the trunk of the tree trapping Yoo Rin between them.

Geun Suk stared at Yoo Rin’s dirt ridden face and clothes. She looked exhausted and scared. Geun Suk brushed a strand of hair from Yoo Rin’s face. Yoo Rin jumped slightly. Geun Suk moved his hand away.

“Have you eaten anything?” Geun Suk asked concerned

Yoo Rin stayed silent staring at Geun Suk. He caught me. Now what? Yoo Rin’s heart started pounding. Surprise written all over her face.

“You don’t have to worry. I don’t plan to claim you. ”Geun Suk said moving away.

“Deh? DEH?!” Yoo Rin asked blinking at Geun Suk

“I went after you the wrong way. “ Geun Suk said regretfully

“Deh?!” Yoo Rin couldn’t seem to say anything else.

“I should have given you the freedom to choose, To choose to be with whoever you want.” Geun Suk added. Yoo Rin stared at Geun Suk as if for the first time she saw him.

“Han Yoo Rin! Yaaaa!” red cap screamed.

Yoo Rin and Geun Suk looked back. Red cap had gotten himself free and has run passed them. Yoo Rin braced her back flat on the tree trunk.

“Hide. I’ll make sure he doesn’t find you.” Geun Suk said standing away from Yoo Rin.

“Deh?!” Yoo Rin felt she has yet to say a coherent word to Geun Suk.

Geun Suk pushed Yoo Rin away to the opposite direction red cap had gone. “Have you been struck dumb? Go! Ka! KA!”

Yoo Rin ran. Geun Suk watched her go. He decided that since she was fighting so hard, he’d fight with her not against her. His harabeoji would probably give him a smack on the head if he were to see him now. But that didn’t matter. Yoo Rin was all that mattered to him.

***
“Being an idiot must be hereditary!” Rin Hyung said gleefully at Ji-Hoo who watched as his said idiot grandson let Yoo Rin get away.

“Choi!” Ji-Hoo yelled. The vein on his temple was throbbing.

“Harabeoji?” Choi said calmly. He wanted to give Geun Suk a smack on the head. Letting Yoo Rin go, Now, harabeoji was going to chew him out.

“Your cousin. Has he gone insane? I thought he likes this girl? Why is he letting her get away?” Ji-Hoo asked outranged.

“Maybe, it’s because he does like her that’s why he let her get away.” Choi replied thoughtfully.

“What?” Ji-Hoo was puzzled.

Rin-Hyung gave Ji-Hoo a pat on the knee. “I hope you have that money in cash.” Rin Hyung said pleasantly.

Ji Hoo snarled at Rin- Hyung.

***
“Did you think I wouldn’t find out?” Bong-hyung asked Lee Jun furious and the Treasure Hunt forgotten. Bong-hyung smashed his fist into Lee Jun’s face.

“You lied to me.” Lee Jun countered punching back.

“Ha! I’ve known you forever. Do you think I’d let you go after my sister, when you’re such a player?” Bong-hyung was bulkier kicked Lee Jun on the stomach. Lee Jun fell to his knees.

“I really like you sister. I would never hurt her.” Lee Jun said holding on his stomach.

“Shut-up!” Bong-hyung yelled cracking his knuckles “You say you like her because you couldn’t have her. You b*****!”

Lee Jun sat on the floor, wiping the blood off his face. “I liked Yoo Rin. Until now I still like her.” Lee Jun insisted.

“Then why the hell did you arrange the imposter? Damn! I knew that guy was a fishy bootlicker, calling me Hyongnim and all. Shin Hoon was never that stupid.” Bong-hyung said clutching Lee Jun’s collar. “You have no idea how much Shin means to Yoo Rin!”

“Apparently you don’t either.” Lee Jun said glaring at his old friend. “Yoo Rin dumped Shin as well.”Lee Jun replied

Bong-hyung let go of Lee Jun’s collar. “Yoo Rin maybe clueless when it comes to “romance” but she can sense a fake when she sees one.”

“You are so protective. What makes you so sure, she won’t fall in love with me given opportunity?” Lee Jun demanded.

Bong-hyung gave Lee Jun a final punch on the face. Lee Jun dropped on his back on the floor. Bong-hyung rubbed his bloody lip.

“Opportunity? Ha! Babo! Park Shin Hoon, he’s here just like I thought he would be. Stop dreaming, opportunity my foot! You don’t stand a chance."