TREASURE HUNT

I Will Make You Love Me

Yoo Rin stood in the front line as Chen Yul announced the rules of the treasure hunt. She had every intention to kill her oppa slowly and with great relish after she wins the treasure hunt. She MUST win.

Looking at the more than 100 participants some strangers but Hon was right, it was like a reunion in hell, for Yoo Rin at least. Like her past has come to haunt her. Yoo Rin closed her eyes trying to calm herself. She was aware that the treasure hunt was more than a physical game it was also a mind game. Everyone starts as a group in the maze, it was more a matter of luck during the 1st two phases. It was estimated that after going through the maze the number of participants will be cut in half.

***

Yoo Rin, Jan and Shin were part of the last group to go into the maze. They told to run over an obstacle course barefoot with weights on their ankles they had to get to the exit before it closes. This is was test of strength and speed.

“Damn!” Yoo Rin said as the staring gun fired. Yoo Rin started running. She was a fast runner usually but the weights were holding her back. Although she was not as fast as the other participants she is agile and they were not warned that there were pits they would fall into if they were not careful. Yoo Rin never looked back.

“Yoo Rin hurry!” Hon yelled pointing to the exit. It was closing. Jan jumped through. Hon followed shortly behind. Yoo Rin closed her eyes, running in a slide as the door to the exit Yoo Rin slid feet first a few seconds before it closed narrowly missing her head.

Yoo Rin let out a sigh of relief. The participants who made it burst into spontaneous applause.

“Well done Han Yoo Rin.” Kim Ra said extending a helping hand to Yoo Rin.

Yoo Rin sat up gingerly. Her feet and backside hurt like hell. She was covered in dirt. She ignored the extended hand and stood up on her own. She swayed but stayed upright.

“Yoo Rin!” Jan was in the process to tackling Yoo Rin when Hon tripped him. Jan fell flat on the ground in front of Yoo Rin. Geun Suk without saying a word kneeled in front of Yoo Rin.

“Ya! What are you doing?” Yoo Rin asked backing away.

“Ts! Stand still!”Geun Suk said ignoring Yoo Rin's protest. He pulled Yoo Rin's ankle and then took off the weights attached to them. Yoo Rin stared at the top of Geun Suk’s head, puzzled at the way her heart was pounding. “Ya! Your feet must hurt like hell. Pabo!You shouldn’t have participated in the first place.”Geun Suk mumbled touching the sole of Yoo Rin’s foot gently. Yoo Rin had to hold on to Geun Suk’s shoulder to keep her balance.

Hon cleared his throat noisily. “Ya! Han Yoo Rin! Ts! This feels like old times.” Hon said slapping dust from Yoo Rin’s back.

“Old times?” Yoo Rin asked puzzled

Geun Suk froze watching Yoo Rin’s face. Jan pushed Hon with his shoulder. A loudly ear piercing siren sounded.

V.O. “CONGRATULATION TO ALL WHO MADE IT. YOU'VE COME THIS FAR. WE SALUT YOU! BUT THE GAME HAS JUST BEGUN!"

Yoo Rin looked around. She estimated there were only 45 left out of the original number. Aside from Yoo Rin 3 other girls were present. A tall brown eyed skinny boy wearing a baseball cap gave Yoo Rin a wink. Yoo Rin blinked. He looked familiar from the distance between them Yoo Rin couldn't be sure but she doubted he was from Hibuscus Academy.

Another door in the maze opened. They were ordered to file inside. There was another gate. The voice, Yoo Rin knew it was her stupid brother informed them that they were to go one by one inside the gate 10 minutes apart. From what her oppa told her she would assume this SLIDING DOOR. A participant’s survival rested on luck and speed and from what was hinted something was going to get them inside. The participants were called one by one to enter the gate. Geun Suk was the first to be called.

Geun Suk is instructed to enter the gate in a run. Geun Suk didn’t think, he let his instincts guide him. Going for the last door, he could hear the sound of growling and barking as he assumed another person has gone in the maze. Geun Suk kept running, closing and opening doors until he got to the last one that lead him to exit. He was safe.

Geun Suk waited for almost an hour when Hon appeared panting. “Ya! That thing almost got me!”

“What? What almost got you? Where’s Yoo Rin?” Geun Suk was worried.

Shin Kai came out covered in dirt. Followed by the boy in the red baseball cap. Both dropped to the floor exhausted. Gyol, Ki-won’s brother. Kim Ra…Geun Suk started pacing. Where was Yoo Rin?

Jan came out, his arm was bleeding. He had a big smile on his face. “Ya! Yoo Rin is so cool!”

Hon rushed towards his brother. “What happened to your arm?”

Geun Suk did as well. “Dogs…Jan where’s Yoo Rin, where is Yoo Rin?” Geun Suk said in panic. He started running for the gate. Yoo Rin came out running like a bat out hell. Slamming right into Geun Suk, both fell on the ground with a loud thud.
Yoo Rin rolled off Geun Suk, lay on her back, she laughed hysterically. “Ya! I really REALLY  hate dogs!”

Geun Suk gave a sigh of relief. He looked over Yoo Rin who couldn’t stop laughing. She was safe. She must be scared to death but she was safe. The Twin crouched next to them shaking their heads. Yoo Rin stopped laughing when she noticed Jan's arm. Without hesitation Yoo Rin ripped a sleeve off her shirt to tie it on Lee Jan’s arm.

“Ts! I hope those dogs had their shots.”Yoo Rin said hopefully
-------------------------

And then there were 10 of them left.

Yoo Rin sat crossed legged, back to back with Hon. Geun Suk sat next to her as she fretted over Jan’s injured arm.

Geun Suk stared at Yoo Rin openly. Even covered in dirt and grime she acted like a queen.

“Hon, you ok?”Yoo Rin asked glancing behind her.

“Fine. I thought never getting you to go on a date would be this difficult.” Hon stated.

Yoo Rin elbowed him lightly. “Ya! Who asked you become part of this circus anyway?” She repremanded.

“This is the best treasure hunt ever. The largest number of registered group of participates in its history.” Kim Ra said sitting down next to Jan who snarled at him.

“Most likely because of you Han Yoo Rin.”Shin Kai added.

Yoo Rin stayed quiet. Geun Suk scooted closer to Yoo Rin in effect the Twins and Geun Suk surrounded her protectively.

“Shut-up, fraud.”Hon murmured absently

“Lee Hon!” Yoo Rin reprimanded sharply.

“We’ll be divided into groups of two soon. I know from the past years, the participants got to choose who they are to be paired with. Han Yoo Rin. I choose you.” Kim Ra said arrogantly.

“In your dreams, Yoo Rin will be with me!”Shin Kai replied

“What makes you guys think Yoo Rin would waste her time on you lot?”Gyol said arrogantly.

Geun Suk watched at argument progress to a shoving match. Yoo Rin, Geun Suk noticed rubbed her temples ignoring everyone else. Of all the guys there, the boy with wearing the red baseball cap kept quiet but he also kept staring at Yoo Rin. Another admirer? The boy with the red cap saw that Geun Suk was staring at him and gave Geun Suk a mock salut. What the hell? Before Geun Suk could follow up that thought he started coughing. His eyes turned to Yoo Rin who colapsed next to Jan. Then he passed out.

***

Yoo Rin woke up to find herself dressed up in a ridiculous frilly princess dress.

“You’re finally awake. Have some water.” Lee Jun said giving Yoo Rin a glass as she sat up. Her head was pounding.

“Ya! What’s going on? Why am I here? Where is here anyway?”Yoo Rin asked

“Grand Island. My dear sister.”Bong-hyung replied.

“Deh?”

“We flew everyone here for the main event.”Bong-hyung said

Yoo Rin sat up touching the dress with great distaste. “Cosplay is part of the main game?”Yoo Rin asked frowing. “I wouldn’t be caught dead in this monstrosity.” She added trying to stand but her feet caught at the edge of the dress she fell. Lee Jun lifted Yoo Rin by the elbows to help her up.

Bong-hyung gave his sister a pat on the head and pulled her out of the room.

“Ya! Oppa., this thing weights more than I do, Can’t I wear something else?” Yoo Rin begged Bong-hyung ignored her.

Bong-hyung bought Yoo Rin to the Treasure Hunt command center. There were at least 30 cameras in different areas of Grand Island. They were all being watched the footage loaded on the computer to be streamed on line.

“Ya! You’re filming this?” Yoo Rin asked

“Think of it as reality TV at it’s finest.”Bong-hyung said proudly

Yoo Rin stared shocked that her brother could be so ruthless. “Ya! Oppa!”

Bong-hyung raised his hand up to silence Yoo Rin then picked up his wireless mic.

“WELCOME TO GRAND ISLAND BY NOW I ASSUME THAT THE EFFECTS OF THE SLEEPING MIST HAS WORN OFF. “

Geun Suk sat up rubbing his head. His first instinct was to look for Yoo Rin. There were 9 of them there but no Yoo Rin.

“THE TREASURE HUNT REALLY BEGINS. IN FRONT OF YOU IS A LIST OF THE TREASURES SCATTERED IN THE ISLAND.”

An large screen projected several items of clothing and school supplies, all of which Yoo Rin owns.

“Ya! Those are my stuff!” Yoo Rin said sputtering.

Her middle school jacket, blouse, skirt, socks and shoes, ratty jeans, pajamas with bears, winter jacket, her favorite mahwa : Iljimae, a large purple dragon stuffed animal and her red hair ribbons.

“THERE ARE 12 TREASURE ITEMS. YOU NEED 3 TO GET A KEY TO FIND THE BEST TREASURE OF ALL. MY SISTER HAN YOO RIN.”

Yoo Rin gasped, so did Lee Jun. “Ya! Bong-hyung! What are you doing?!”

“Yeah, Bong-hyung what are you doing?” Lee Jun asked

Bong-hyung turned his mic off and turned to Yoo Rin. “Things are not so simple now huh?”

“Oppa.”

“YOU agreed to this, without thinking things through. “Bong-hyung said

Yoo Rin hung her head. She knew why her brother was doing this. Her family was not too keen on her leaving for America to study. Yoo Rin was certain that her father would have a fit when he found out that she already sent her admission form for Harvard Med. in Boston.

“Oppa, you may not like it but I made up my mind. I’m going to America.” Yoo Rin said determined.

Bomg-hyung stared at his sister. Stubbornness is a family trait. He knew his sister won’t back down. Bong-hyung pressed the mic again.

“AS A BONUS, WHEN YOU CATCH YOO RIN YOU GET TO KISS HER WITH MY BLESSING.” Bong-hyung added staring his sister down. Yoo Rin head spun, shocked her oppa would resort to this to teach her a lesson.

Yoo Rin watched the monitors annoyed that even the Twins are scrambling to look for her stuff. “Ya! You better make sure they don’t damage my stuff.” Yoo Rin said walking out of the room. Bong-hyung grinned at his sister back. This is going to be interesting.

“Ya! Bong-hyung. Why did you have to say that? Aren’t you worried about Yoo Rin?”Lee Jun asked

Bong-hyung grinned, sitting comfortably down one of the office chairs. “Do you think, I’d let just any idiot go out with my sister? Remember, He has to catch her first. Yoo Rin won’t go without a fight.” Bong-hyung said pleasantly.

“But-“Lee Jun started to say

“My father and maternal grandfather are at odds since the day they met. But they agree on one thing, the only way they can get Yoo Rin to stay here is to marry her off.”Bong-hyung said