EARLY MORNING

I Will Make You Love Me

“Ya! Why is there a car in front of the building this early?” Bong-hyung wondered.

Yoo Rin was putting her shoes on when her mobile started ringing. She stared at the caller id with distaste.

“What’s the matter?” Bong-hyung asked glancing at the caller id. “Ya! Isn’t it too early to ask about school work?”

Yoo Rin shook her head. “It’s a long horrible story.” Yoo Rin kept the telephone ringing as she got her school bag. The phone stopped abruptly. Yoo Rin let out a relieved sigh.

A car horn started blaring. Her Oppa who was in the middle of memorizing his French language lesson came out of his room and to the porch to scream at the car’s driver.

“Ya! Pabo! Stop or I’ll have your car towed.”

The car horn blaring stopped. But the phone in Yoo Rin’s hand started ringing. Yoo Rin and Bong-hyung stared at the phone.

“What is going on?”Bong-hyung asked.

Yoo Rin glared at the mobile harshly. She has an idea. “Yoboseyo.”

“Annyong-hi jumushyossoyo Wife.” Geun Suk said cheerfully

“Stop calling me WIFE!”Yoo Rin replied. “Why are you calling so early?”

“Look outside.” Geun Suk said

Yoo Rin looked down at the car. The automatic window slid downward. Geun Suk with his mobile in his hand waved at her. Yoo Rin turned he back on him. She screamed silently and with great frustration. It’s been 3 days since they got back to school after Geun Suk sprained his foot and it was hell for Yoo Rin. Geun Suk was milking the incident for all it’s worth. Constantly needing Yoo Rin to get around school. Choi offered to get him a wheelchair for the meantime but Geun Suk insisted on using the crutches that he always forgets at home or in the car or in the classroom. And he uses Yoo Rin shoulder as a substitute. Yoo Rin wondered when she started being so pathetic.

“Ya! Can’t I have a moment’s peace?”Yoo Rin asked miserably.

“I couldn’t wait to see you.” Geun Suk whispered softly.

“Eh?” Yoo Rin said surprised

Geun Suk cleared his throat. “I’ve been waiting for you to come out forever.” He winned

Yoo Rin rolled her eyes at the phone. “Ya! Don’t ever come here again. It’s so embarrassing and you’re disturbing my neighbors.”

“Why are you embarrassed? It’s just a husband coming to fetch his-”

Yoo Rin hung up on him. “Oppa. I’m going to school.”Yoo Rin called.

Bong-hyung stuck his head out of his room. “Ya! It’s that Jang Geun Suk again?” Her Oppa stared at her suspiciously. “Are you dating?”

Yoo Rin snorted. “Aniyo! No way. That guy made it his mission to make my life hell on earth. Why would I date him?!”Yoo Rin looked at her watch. “I have to get going Oppa. I’ll see you later.”

Bong-hyung watched as Geun Suk opened the car door for his sister. His eyes narrowed “He looks familiar. I just can put my finger on it.”Bong-hyung said to himself.

-----------------------

Yoo Rin demanded to get off the car before in entered the school gate. She already has her hand on the car door when Geun Suk grabbed her wrist.

“Ya! Why do you want to walk to school? We’re in a car. ”Geun Suk demanded.

Yoo Rin tried to pull her wrist away. “Let go! Ya! The Twins are pissed enough as it is.” The Twins would hardly speak to her now. Yoo Rin felt terrible. They were her oldest friends. She missed hanging out with them.

A silver Mercedes stopped in front of Geun Suk’s car. The Twins got off.

“Ya! Han Yoo Rin!”Jan called.

Yoo Rin rolled down the window. “Jan! Hon!” Yoo Rin called pulling away from Geun Suk and getting off the car.

“Yoo Rin.” Geun Suk said quietly.

“Tsk. You’ll be fine. You’re almost healed up anyway.” Yoo Rin said and with a cheerful wave, walked away from Geun Suk.

Geun Suk watched Yoo Rin as the Twins with one on either side of her wind their arms to hers. Yoo Rin let them.

“Ya! Look at your face.”Hon said pushing his finger on Yoo Rin’s cheek. “You haven’t been eating right.” Yoo Rin turned he face away.

“You’ve been hanging out with Jang Geun Suk a lot. We felt-“Jan

“-you forgot-“Hon

“-all about us.”Jan said. Yoo Rin stared at the Twin’s identical gloomy expression. Yoo Rin pulled away and faced them. The Twins, her best friends, when Shin left they stayed with her to cheer her up, to yell at her when she needed to be yelled. They protected her. Since school started Yoo Rin felt she hasn’t been spending time with the Twins as often as they used to. Yoo Rin’s best friend Shin was God knows where. She didn’t want to isolate the Twins. Yoo Rin threw her arms around both of them impulsively. The Twins froze. Yoo Rin who usually pulled away when they touch her hugged them on her own.

“Mianhaeyo, I’m sorry I haven’t been the greatest friend lately.”Yoo Rin said her arms still around the twins. The Twins looked at each other over her head. They hugged her back. After a beat, Yoo Rin pulled away to smile at the twins. “Forgive me?”

The Twins smiled back. Lee Jan tried to hold Yoo Rin’s hands. Lee Hon slapped his hand away. “Ya! You’ll ruin everything.” Hon whispered. Jan stared at his twin defiantly.

Yoo Rin, unaware of the tension, walked ahead of them. “Ya! We’re late!”

The Twins stared at each other, and as if coming to an agreement raced towards Yoo Rin.

Geun Suk’s eyes followed the Twins as they shoved each other for the change to walk beside Yoo Rin.

“I should have broken my leg.”Geun Suk murmured

Choi threw a book at Geun Suk. “Ya!”

“I’m kidding. “Geun Suk said but in reality he regretted that he didn’t break his leg or a limb. Geun Suk didn’t know what to do anymore. Yoo Rin and her one tracked mind. Proximity clearly wasn’t the answer. The more he tried to pull her close the more she seems to pull away.

“Why don’t you just tell her you’re Shin?” Choi suggested logically

Geun Suk brushed Choi’s a suggestion aside. Yoo Rin is bound to freak when she finds out. With her stubborn streak, who knows what she’ll do to him?

“Now you have to deal with the Twins.” Choi warned

Geun Suk became thoughtful. The Twins have known Yoo Rin almost as long as he has. Identical. Good-looking to boot. Geun Suk’s known for a while that the Twins being protective of Yoo Rin meant more than just being protective of a friend. It bordered on that of a possesiveness he mustn’t give them any opportunities.

------------

Geun Suk still in crutches watched as girls from all the year levels flock towards the Twins. It seems they won a tennis match that would qualify them to play in the Doubles National Competition. Yoo Rin stepped aside as the girls rushed forward. The Twins enjoyed the attention, signing autographs, posing for pictures with girls. One Twin glanced towards Yoo Rin. “Ya! Yoo Rin! What are you doing way over there?”

Geun Suk saw Yoo Rin shaking his head and motioning that she’s about to go ahead. Geun Suk smiled Yoo Rin hates attention when sober.

“Chamkkamanyo, Yoo Rin….Excuse me. Ladies.” Lee Jan crossed over to where Yoo Rin was. “Wait for us, we could go get something to eat.”

Yoo Rin was about to answer when her mobile started ringing. Yoo Rin took the mobile out of her pocket. Looking at the caller id Yoo Rin made a face. She gave Lee Jan an apologetic smile turned away from him to answer the phone.

“Yoboseyo.” Yoo Rin said making a face nasty face.

Geun Suk grinned at Yoo Rin’s expression. “Ya! Stop making that face. You might end up looking like that permanently.”

Yoo Rin started walking and looking around. Geun Suk hid behind one of the building pillars. Yoo Rin stopped. Her back was to him. “Ya! You called me up to tell me that?” Yoo Rin said annoyed.

Geun Suk stifled a laugh. “I’m calling to collect what you owe me.”

“What I owe you?” Yoo Rin said puzzled. What I owe him? Did he mean…Then it dawned on her. Yoo Rin’s eyes widen “Eh?!”