CONTROL

I Will Make You Love Me

Preparations for the school festival were underway, every grade level prepared booths in line with the centennial theme. The student council was in charge of almost every aspect of the event. Yan Chen Yul was student council president that year. He approached the Twins for help in sponsoring for the said event. The Twin stared at Chen Yul with interest. The Student Council usual avoided all contact with the Twins, taking into account that they don’t really give a hoot what the Council does as approached them long as it does not get in the way of tennis and their active social life.

Chen Yul felt intimidated not just by the Lee Twins but also because the cousins Jang were also sitting with them along with the school’s number 1 student Han Yoo Rin.

“Ya! Who are you people again?”- Hon asked puzzled that this strange group of seniors.

Chen Yul inwardly groaned. This was harder than he thought. As one of the members of the council started introducing them again Chen Yul’s eyes wandered to Han Yoo Rin. Chen Yul remembered her well they were in the same class their freshman year. Her entry into the school was greatly anticipated. They younger sister of Bong-hyung, the bad boy of the junior class, everyone expected her to be just as good-looking but no one expected her academic brilliance. A great many boys in their class had a crush on her Chen Yul included. Although, he has not declared his interest saving himself from the humiliation experienced by his peers. He heard rumors that the new student was dating her. The younger Jang.

“Ya! What makes you council guys think we care about school spirit and all that?”- Jan asked

“We assume you were attending.” Chen replied wiping the sweat from his brow. The Twins stared at him blankly then turned to Yoo Rin.

“Ya! Yoo Rin, Are we attending?” the Twins asked her.

Yoo Rin was busy making plans for the go-cart the Science club was going to enter at the festival race, she was not paying attention, Eun Hye gave Yoo Rin a slight pinch on the arm. Yoo Rin glanced at Eun Hye distracted.

“Deh?”

The Twins stared at her questioning. “Are we attending the festival?”- Jan repeated

Geun Suk glanced Yoo Rin’s way. Since Yoo Rin made up with him and the Twins the atmosphere seem strained at times. Geun Suk has to admit he felt it was harder for him now to get close to Yoo Rin since she seem to have labeled him FRIEND. Her attitude towards him one leap to that of how she treated the Twins that was something he was dreading.

Yoo Rin stared at Jan blankly. Chen Yul and the rest of the council people held their breath.

“Why ask me?” Yoo Rin replied her eyes going back to the engine design she was studying.

“Ya! We’re not going if you’re not.” Hon said Jan nodded firmly.

“Ya! Yoo Rin Geun Suk, Don’t you think it would be romantic to go to the festival for the first time as a couple? ” Popi piped in clutching Hyun’s arm firmly ignoring Hyun’s struggles and efforts to shush her.

Geun Suk stiffed. He braced himself for a violent outburst from Yoo Rin.

“What?” Yoo Rin said loudly her head snapping up to look at Popi.

Chen Yul studied the younger Jang with interest according to the school records. Jang Geun Suk is an above average student who transferred from an elite Japanese high-school before moving to Korea. Chen Yul wondered why out of all the private schools in the country why the Jang cousins, wealthy as they are chose to study here.

“We’ll get back to you.” Hon said dismissing Chen Yul and his group. Chen Yul bowed politely.

“I just thought that since you and Geun Suk are now official-“Popi continued but was cut off by a loud “Ya! Escro! Shut-up!” from Hyun.

Hyun pulled Popi up by the wrist. “Ya! Come along.We'll be going.”

“Did I say something wrong?” Popi asked stupidly

“Aigoo! Come along! You are such a busy body.” Hyun said

“We’ll be going too.” Choi said entwining his hand with Eun Hye who stared at him confused. Then giving a closing fisted encouragement to Geun Suk. “Aja! Fighting!”

“Ya! You guys where are you-“Yoo Rin asked

“Ya! I need to get a book from the library.”- Hon gathering his tray.

“I’ll come with you.” – Jan said giving a Yoo Rin a jolly wave before rushing with Hon.

Geun Suk now stared at their now deserted table then gave Yoo Rin a tentative smile.

“Ya! What just happened?” Yoo Rin asked

“Who knows?” Geun Suk shrugged but stayed where he was at last some alone time with Yoo Rin.

Yoo Rin looked away from Geun Suk. Yoo Rin felt awkward. Why does she feel different around Geun Suk now? Why does her stomach have this fluttering feeling whenever she finds herself alone with him? Ya! This is bad. Yoo Rin in her rush to gather the sketches spilled them on the floor. Aigoo! I’m starting to get clumsy! Yoo Rin groaned inwardly kneeling on the floor.

Geun Suk knelt beside her to pick them up. Lavender. Geun Suk closed his eyes briefly to savor the scent.

Yoo Rin kept her eyes away from Geun Suk’s. He had his ears pierced. Why did I never notice this about him? He had such cute ears. Yoo Rin shook her head to clear it. Now I’m thinking he has cute ears? Han Yoo Rin Stop it! Bad. Bad. Bad.

Geun Suk watched Yoo Rin as she shook her head, her single long braid dancing side-to-side uncovering the nape of her slender neck. Geun Suk stared at that spot, the temptation of pressing his lips there was overwhelming that he cleared his throat loudly.

“What are you drawing?” Geun Suk asked picking up one elaborate design.

“Deh?” Yoo Rin was startled into looking at Geun Suk straight in the face.

Geun Suk stared at Yoo Rin whose cheeks were turning rosy. Ya! Stop looking at me like that. He thought. Geun Suk wondered at the expression on Yoo Rin’s face. Like a doe caught in the headlights. Involuntarily Geun Suk’s hand reached out to touch Yoo Rin’s cheek.

The school bell rang. Yoo Rin quickly with the sketches in her arms she nodded her head to Geun Suk then rushed out of the cafeteria to the girl’s toilet. Yoo Rin placed the papers on the sink and then stared at herself in the mirror her hand clutching her chest trying to control her furiously beating heart.

“What the hell was that?” Yoo Rin asked herself breathlessly.

Geun Suk held a sketch Yoo Rin left in her rush. Somehow, he sensed something remarkable passed between them, then smiled slightly.

------------------------------------------------

Yoo Rin banged her head on Geun Suk’s wide study table and wondered why she ended in Geun Suk’s house again of all places. Recalling the phone call from her mother.

**30 minutes ago…

“Ya! Yoo Rin na, Jang sshi, You remember Mrs. Jang? Geun Suk’s aunt? It seems Geun is failing Physics…”Omma words trailed off leaving Yoo Rin to assume the rest.

“I don’t tutor him anymore.”Yoo Rin stated.

“Ya! What kind of seonsaengnim are you? Letting a student languish in ignorance helplessly! Ya! Are you even my child?” Omma said loudly and filled with drama.

“Sometimes I wonder the same thing.” Yoo Rin replied sighing

“Ya! Han Yoo Rin!” Omma screamed in warning.

“Araso, I know. Fine. I’m going. Tell Bong-yung to fetch me before 5pm.” Yoo Rin said taking the phone out of her ear as he mother gushed in appriciation. Why does it always have to be this way? Yoo Rin wondered in end her mother always has her way.

***

Geun Suk came inside his room with a tray of cookies and 2 glasses of milk. He couldn’t stop smiling. Here she was again just where she was supposed to be. Yoo Rin looked up from where she was banging her head at the smell of the cookies. Geun Suk set the tray down the table and sat down next to Yoo Rin.

“Ya! Why are you sitting here? “ Yoo Rin asked. They had this discussion before.

Geun Suk pointed at the study table. It was different from the one they used to use. It was much wider. “I can’t see what you’re writing from way over there.”

“What happened to the other one?” Yoo Rin asked suspiciously

“I have no idea. But this one’s better, we can still keep the papers where they are and have snacks at the same time….Cookie?” Geun Suk said passing the plate of cookies to Yoo Rin.

Yoo Rin stared at the cookies and Geun Suk in disbelief. Geun Suk gave Yoo Rin an innocent smile. Yoo Rin took 3 cookies and shoved two in before she could start accusing him of being devious. Geun Suk with great consideration passed her a glass of milk as she started to choak.

“So, which part of the lesson so far don’t you understand?” Yoo Rin asked all business.

“I don’t know…why don’t you teach me everything.” Geun Suk replied pulling his mat closer to Yoo Rin.

Yoo Rin glanced at Geun Suk and frowned. “Ya! Why are you sitting so close? You’re making me uncomfortable.”

“I am? Am I making you nervous? Mianhaeyo.” Geun Suk said moving slightly away. Lavender. The scent filled his brain like a drug making him lightheaded. “What shampoo do you use?”

“Deh?” Yoo Rin looked up taken off guard by the question.

Geun Suk cleared his throat. “Ah, nothing.”

Yoo Rin went back to listing the basic formulas in Physics. Geun Suk hit his forehead slightly with his closed fist. He closed his eyes trying his best to ignore the scent of lavender. Ya! I mustn’t lose it.