Operation: Christmas Surprise

Goddess's Oneshot CHRISTMAS GIFT

Username: shawol4lifeminnie
 Male idol: Kim Myungsoo (Infinite)
 Female character: Oh Narim
 Plot: Myungsoo and Narim have been together for 5 years now and Myungsoo wants to make this the best and most memorable Christmas for her. However, Myungsoo is terrible at planning surprise events and ends up embarassing himself. Will he be able to succeed? Or will everything fail, again?
 Genre: Romantic Comedy
 Title: Operation: Christmas Surprise


-----


L raked his fingers through his hair frustratedly and groaned. ", this is screwed up."

Sungyeol tapped his best friend on the shoulder and blinked. "What you up to, ELL?" he grinned. "You've been busy all these few days and neglecting me." he pretended to sniffle. "I'm heartbroken."

"Oh seriously." L rolled his eyes and shoved his friend. "Dude, you're plain disgusting." he shook his head and returned his attention back to the things he had been doing before Sungyeol appeared.

Sungyeol sat down beside L and stared at what L was doing. He read out what L had written on his paper. "Special Christmas Date with Narim." he read. "3pm: Go to the grocery store. 4pm: Prepare salad. 4:15pm: Start on marinating the steak." Sungyeol rolled his eyes at the detailed plans. "Dude, you're plan gay."

"Oh you're the on to talk." L wrinkled his nose. He sighed again and grabbed his hair in irritation. "I'm going to screw this up, Sungyeol!" he groaned. "How am I supposed to create the best Christmas date for Narim? I want to make her happy!"

Sungyeol laughed. "This is why I choose to be single muh dear." he said in a freaky accent. He leaned his chin against his palm and blinked at L. "But seriously, that seems like a challenge you're taking on." he murmured, staring at the list L made. There were a thousand and one things to do, it seemed.

"I know right." L muttered, frowning. "This is so frustrating!" he groaned. "I'm going mad."

Sungyeol patted his best friend's shoulder. "Pity."

-----

L looked around. "Okay, candles, check." he ticked off his list. "Nice table cloth, check. Cutlery, check. Flowers, check." he nodded. "Music, check." he glanced at the CDs he picked out. "Romantic lights working, check." he flipped the switch for the orange lights instead of the white ones.

"Okay, all I have to do now is the cooking." L nodded and went to his kitchen. He looked around at the ingredients and felt momentarily overcome by all he had to do. "It's okay Myungsoo, the instruction is right here so follow it step by step. Nothing can go wrong."

Well, the first thing that went wrong was that he thought wrong of everything.

As L followed by the steps and instructions strictly, he found that cooking wasn't as easy as singing or dancing where you just followed a set of instructions and everything would be fine. Different sizes of meat would need different amounts of marinating and different time periods of cooking.

L had a hard time cutting up the vegetables and found that his speed was causing him to lag behind his initial time plan.

He cut up radishes and onions and carrots for the onion stew he was going to make, but he had no idea what sort of shapes he was supposed to cut them into. L had not much experience working with the knife and when he tried to slice the radish into thin slices like he saw in the Japanese restaurants, his hands were shaking and his slices turned out thick and bulky.

He frowned at his radish cube/slices/bulks and decided to cut them into chunks instead. Narim wouldn't care how it looked, would it? It was all going into the soup after all.

After he established that, L cut the carrots and radish and onions randomly in large giant sized portions and dumped them all into the water, together with some butter. He let it simmer for a long time and grinned,

Now for the steak.

He took out the pieces of meat that he had marinated a few hours ago and wrinkled his nose at them. They should do fine, right?

He took out a pan and put some butter as he the stove. He waited for the butter to melt a little before he put the piece of meat in. He grinned, this should be easy.

When one side looked pretty okay, he flipped it to the other side and pressed on the meat for a bit. "Hey cooking is pretty easy." he thought out loud.

And when both steaks were done, he moved on to the fries that were supposed to be the side dishes of the day. He took out the frozen fries from the fridge and frowned at how hard they were. "Am I supposed to defrost them before I cook them?" he wondered.

"Aish nevermind, the oil will melt the ice." He grinned. He dumped a huge portion of oil in a pan and poured all the fries in. And then he used an extra long chopstick to stir them around as if he was cooking some sort of soup and watched as the fries turned golden brown.

"Looking good, L." L grinned and dried the fries on a large piece of kitchen roll, soaking up the excess oil. And then he found his salt and sprinkled them merrily about all the fries.

He was feeling by the second.

L served the fries in a small platter for the both of them and put the pieces of steaks in huge white plates he bought the day before. He poured some soup into small cute bowls and arranged the table. So far, his Christmas Surprise was going really well indeed.

The doorbell rang and L brightened. He quickly took off his apron and rushed to the door. "Babe!"

Narim laughed at his appearance. L's hair was messy and his shirt was stained despite wearing the apron. And he smelt of uncooked meat. Eww. "Oppa, what were you doing before I came? You look funny."

L pouted. He pulled her inside and led her to the dining room. "I was preparing, this!" he turned off the white lights and switched on the orange ones, turning on the gentle music and lighting the candles.

Narim gasped and took in the surroundings. "You did all this by yourself?" she asked, touched.

"Yeah." L led her to sit down. "Why don't you wait here and I'll go change a shirt? I smell." he wrinkled his nose. Narim laughed and pulled him to sit down. "I really don't mind, oppa." she looked around again. "You really outdid yourself this time, oppa. I'm really touched."

L reddened. "Ah...why don't you try the steak?"

Narim nodded, smiling. She picked up the knife and her knife sank into the meat. At once, bloody red water gushed out and Narim couldn't help but cringe. The meat was practically raw with only the outer layer cooked. "Uhm..."

L choked. "Oh gosh, I think it's undercooked." he took the plate away. "Don't eat that. Why don't you drink the soup and the fries while I try to save this." he raised his brows at the steak.

Narim smiled and took a drink of the soup. She choked and patted her chest. "Oppa...did you add too much salt?"

"I did?" L tasted his own creation and cringed. "Oh yes I did."

Narim patted his shoulder comfortingly. "There's still the fries." she took one and popped it into . She gave it a single chew before freezing. "Uhm oppa...the insides are still frozen." she spat it out on her plate, wincing.

L deflated, his face falling. "Gosh I'm such a fail." he buried his face in his hands. "I didn't even get a single thing right."

"You did, with the lights and music." Narim went over to sit with him. "I really appreciate your efforts even though everything went wrong, L oppa. What matters is that I"m here with you for Christmas and that's all that matters to me."

L looked at her and cracked a smile. "You really know what to say."

"Maybe, but that's what I feel." she grinned and gave him a kiss on his cheek. "You think the take outs work on Christmas day?" she mused. "Chinese or Korean?"