Cheering the Cheerful Dongwoo

Goddess's Oneshot CHRISTMAS GIFT

1.Username: kyujiji
2. Featuring male idol(s): Jang Dongwoo
3. Featuring female (OC or idol, please give a name for the OC): Lee Chanmi
4: Plot: Dongwoo lost his parents in a car accident. He was so sad to the point that he didnt care about his appereance and he didn't eat, sleep, and talk. . Chanmi, as her girlfriend worried about him so much and couldn't take this anymore. So, she's planning something to make him happy and back to the old Dongwoo who is a cheerful person that she loved.
5: Genre: Romance, Sad
6: Title: Cheering the Cheerful Dongwoo.

 

 

 

-----

 

Dongwoo stared at the photo with an empty expression in his eyes.

Have you ever gone through such extreme sadness that you didn't even feel like crying anymore? Like you didn't even feel like breathing anymore but you would curse yourself for not having the guts to end it all yourself? Knowing the theories and reasons for you to cheer up and stay stronger but not having the heart to do it?

Dongwoo did.

When you lose the two most important people in the world, time was the only thing that could dull the pain. And even then, the pain wouldn't disappear completely.

Dongwoo stared at his parent's faces in the photo, the extreme pain tugging at his heart. When was all this pain going to stop? Couldn't he just take out his heart once and for all?

He could still remember the shock when he first heard the news.

He was just a regular twenty two year old guy attending a university, a guy that hadn't grown up much and still liked fooling with his friends. He was a guy that liked to do aegyo in front of his parents and liked to play soccer in his spare time.

He had been waiting for his girlfriend Chanmi while hanging out with his friends, and some of their girlfriends. He had been laughing while the boys teased Sunggyu for still being single since L, Woohyun and him who had been present at that time, already had girlfriends.

He had been laughing madly in that adorable way of his while keeping a lookout for his girlfriend of two years. They were supposed to go on a date after school and he wanted to bring her to a nice restaurant he had heard about before.

And then the call came.

Dongwoo hadn't suspected anything when his phone rang and an unknown number appeared on his screen. He didn't know that it was from the hospital, and that it was a call informing him of his parents' death. A car accident. Two killed at once.

He broke down on the spot and he had no idea how he got to the hospital. He must have scared his friends at that time but he could hardly bother about that.

His parents died. He was now an orphan.

He regretted not treating them better. He regretted not going with them to the musical they wanted to watch. He regretted not listening to their naggings and talking back to them.

Because now he didn't have a chance.

Dongwoo sank down into his bed and buried himself under the blankets.

------

"He's still like that?" Chanmi murmured, worried.

Dongwoo's uncle nodded with a sigh. Dongwoo had gone over to stay with his uncle and aunt after his parents' death.

It had been a full month since the tragedy happened and Chanmi had lost Dongwoo along with his parents. He didn't bother about his appearance, about shaving, about his hair, about everything.

They barely managed to force him to bathe at the end of the first week and even now, they had to threaten him so that he would shave and bathe once every two or three days.

He hadn't talked much and Chanmi knew he was trying for her, but it wasn't enough. He lost his soul, his life, his purpose of living. He was an empty physical body that went about his usual duties but he wasn't there.

"He can't continue on like this." Dongwoo's aunt sighed. "Losing both parents is..." she bit her lip, tears threatening to fall. It was after all, her sister and brother-in-law that had passed on. "Traumatizing. But he still has to buck up in his life."

"I have to do something." Chanmi grabbed her hair in desperation. "Anything. Anything to cheer him up. He can't continue like this."

Chanmi grabbed her phone and dialed a number. She was going to make him find his purpose in his life if that was the last thing she had to do.

-----

"Dongwoo?" Chanmi knocked on his door and looked in. She saw the lump under the blankets which was supposedly her boyfriend.

"Dongwoo are you up?" she pried the blanket away from him and saw him curling up in a foetal position. "Dongwoo, please get up. We're going out."

Dongwoo grabbed at the blankets again. "I don't want to." he muttered. "Leave me alone."

"No." Chanmi insisted, pulling him to sit up. "We're going out, Dongwoo. Get up."

She forced him to wash up and picked out a nice shirt and newer jeans, forcing him to change into them. He cleaned up really nice and he looked almost like the Dongwoo of the past, except he didn't wear his usual smile. Chanmi pulled him out of the room and into her car.

She drove off in determination to her destination in mind.

"Where are we going?" Dongwoo finally croaked, his voice raw and unused.

"Somewhere nice." Chanmi smiled at him. She cocked her head to the side. "Excited to breathe in fresh air from the outside after being cooped up in your room for a month?"

"No." Dongwoo said blandly. "I want to go back."

Chanmi ignored him and stepped on the accelerator. She forced him to follow her to their university and brought him to the outdoor stage in their campus.

There were a lot of students gathered there while they read a flyer that was still being given out, telling them to come watch a performance. "What's happening?" Dongwoo frowned.

"Just sit and enjoy the show." Chanmi told him. She pulled him to the front row and plopped on the bench, asking him to sit beside her. She wringed her hands excitedly as she waited for the show to start.

Dongwoo just yawned and looked bored, not at all interested.

All of a sudden, the lights were . Everyone stopped talking and stared at the stage in anticipation.

Six boys came onto the stage with bright smiles and cool stage outfits, waving to the audience. The other students cheered at the entrance, their fangirls cheering them on.

Dongwoo's eyes widened. "Infinite?"

The boys smiled at Dongwoo sitting amongst the audience and Sunggyu signalled for the music to start. Music blasted through the speaks, a very familiar upbeat tune.

Dongwoo swallowed. It was "Paradise."

L came out. "Because my heart is a broken heart. I can’t let you go like this, what now?" he sang suavely.

It was Sunggyu's line. "Even if I look shaky and dangerous. I can only hold you in, what now?"

Dongwoo watched as his friends sang and danced to the song they had practised so many times for. Their dreams to be global singers, to be famous and well known. They hard worked so hard for that goal, he had almost forgotten about them.

As he watched, tears gathered in his eyes.

What had he been doing for the past month?

His parents had been so proud of him when he became a singer, encouraging him all the time. Was he going to give up this dream so easily?

And what about his girlfriend, his friends? All of them were there for him all the time supporting him like how his parents did.

Even if his parents weren't around anymore, he had other people to live his life for. Other people to care for.

Most importantly, he had himself. Would he forgive himself if he gave up on his dream like this?

A place without you isn't paradise.

Yes. Without his parents, his world really seemed like hell.

But reality was as such, paradise didn't really exist did it? He had to find ways to live happily so that he could find his own little paradise in this cruel world.

The song came to the dance bridge and Dongwoo noticed how the Infinite boys left a place in the centre where he was supposed to dance. Chanmi smiled at him and pointed, nodding encouragingly.

Dongwoo nodded and he hopped onto the stage, joining them with the dance.

He felt revived, re-energized. He smiled down at Chanmi who was beaming up at him with the brightest smile possible and he continued dancing.

How could he have missed all this?

Chanmi watched as her boyfriend took a mike from Sungyeol and stared his suave rap, charming everyone around.

And then she knew, her boyfriend was back.

 

 

-----

This was a pretty cruel fic. Killing off both his parents T.T