The Ugly Duckling

Goddess's Oneshot CHRISTMAS GIFT

1. Username: -sundae
2. Featuring Male Idol(s): Woohyun and a bit of Infinite.
3. Featuring Female: Jang Miyeon (OC)
4. Plot: Miyeon used to be ugly as a youth to 15, then she left to live with her aunt, and gradually became prettier & finally found a boyfriend, Nam Woohyun (inspired by The Ugly Duckling).
5. Genre: Sad(?), Romance
6. Title: The Ugly Duckling



-----



Woohyun glanced at the house beside him and let out a sigh.

The girl he had a crush on once lived there. Jang Miyeon.

Miyeon had been the plainest girl Woohyun had ever seen in his life. She never bothered about her appearance and was seemingly dull compared to the other girls in their age.

She never joined the rest of their friends in games and never got invited to parties. Not that the other kids didn't want her there, but when she was invited she always didn't turn up and soon no one bothered inviting her.

Woohyun always had a soft spot for the girl and he had no idea why. He was her only friend and he felt as if he didn't need other people when he had her around.

They grew closer and closer until Miyeon's parents had to go overseas for work and she was sent to her aunt's house to stay.

The house beside Woohyun's was then sold to another family and then another family and another family.

Sometimes there were boys and sometimes girls. However none of the girls caught his heart like Miyeon did and he really missed her.

Today, his new neighbors were moving into the house beside his. He was slightly irritated with all moving about the people were doing because he always thought that the person who was supposed to stay there was Miyeon. Beside him.

A truck rolled into the driveway and Woohyun made a face, kicking the dirt from his shoes. He couldn't be bothered to know the new neighbors right now.

He got into his room and shut his door, blasting the music loudly. He laid on his bed and daydreamed about Miyeon, wondering where she was right then and what she was doing.

Would she have found a boyfriend already?

Half an hour passed and he just continued dreaming about Miyeon. She had left him when she was 15, and even then as she underwent puberty and whatnot, Miyeon hadn't been a pretty girl. She was dull and unattractive and not at all sporty. Woohyun didn't know why he liked her, but he did.


Now here he was, already 22 years old and having a marvellous career as the lead singer of Infinite and getting chances to meet so many female celebrities and models but his heart remained Miyeon's. He didn't even know why.

Woohyun could hear the commotion from next door, knowing that the new neighbours were moving their things. He heard their front door open and he knew his mother had gone over to say hello to the new neighbours. He didn't want to even show his face, since he didn't live here anymore.

It wouldn't do him good to have a girl squealing in his face when she realized she was living next to a superstar's family, and Woohyun didn't even live there anymore. He was just there on a visit.

He never really took notice was what was happening until his mother rushed into his room without knocking, red in the face and clearly excited. "Woohyun ah! Won't you come and greet the new neighbors?" she pulled him up from his lying position.

Woohyun made a face. "Umma, I'm just on a visit home. I'm living with Infinite at the dorm so technically, they aren't my neighbors." he grimaced. "And I don't want to let them know Nam Woohyun is living here unnecessarily."

Mrs Nam shrugged. "Too bad. They already know." she mused.

Woohyun shot his mother an accusing look but his mother just smiled mysteriously. "Come on down, Woohyun. You wouldn't regret going down." she persuaded. Throwing his hands in the air in resignation, Woohyun went trudged downstairs with his mother, hoping that the new neighbors didn't have a daughter. He didn't want unnecessary fangirls.

"Mrs Jang, here he is!" Mrs Nam pulled Woohyun into the living room enthusiastically. "My handsome son!"

Woohyun blinked at Mrs Jang, a very familiar face. *Wait....haven't I seen her before?* As he searched his memories for who this woman was, his eyes fell on the other girl in the room beside Mrs Jang.

His breath was caught and he stared openly, swallowing hard. There was a gorgeous girl standing right in his living room, wearing tee shirt and a short pants but looking model like beautiful, and she was smiling brightly back at him as if she knew him.

What the...

The girl laughed and ran to him, giving him a hug. Woohyun's eyes widened and his hands were left dangling limply by his sides as his mind tried to take in what was happening. "What-"

"Oh come on, Woohyun. You really forgot me?" the girl lifted her head and Woohyun was momentarily dazzled by her bright twinkling eyes. He blinked for a few moments as her familiar voice settled in his mind.

His throat instantly choked up. "M-Miyeon?"

The girl smiled a brilliant smile and nodded brightly. "You remember!" she grinned. "I thought you forgot me."

Woohyun hugged her back tightly and closed his eyes, hiding a single lone tear that had made it's way down his cheeks. "Babo. I never forgot."

-----

"What are you thinking?" Miyeon got back to the movie theatre before the movie started playing with a box of popcorn. She found her boyfriend in a daze, staring into space and not even watching the trailers he loved so much.

Woohyun snapped out of his daze and shook his head, giving her a grin. "Nothing. Just remembering the day when my ugly ducking came back to me as a swan."

Miyeon shoved him in the elbow. "What, you only like me because I'm prettier now?" she pouted.

Woohyun chuckled and pressed a kiss to her cheek. "Babe, I've fallen ever since you were the ugly duckling."

 

 

 

 

------

I realize I've changed your original storyline a bit.

I think this is more meaningful, that he likes her when she was ugly and not only when she's pretty. I couldn't think of any other meaningful or significant way to write the story from your original plot. I'm sorry for that.