We're different, You & I

Goddess's Oneshot CHRISTMAS GIFT

1. Username: butterfly_light
2. Baekhyun
3. Kim Saerim
4: Plot: She always had dark days, even on the holidays. It was cruel to be alone everyday of your life, till she got too used to being quiet and closed off having comfort staring the starry night sky every night. But...someone was patient enough to stick around.
5: It could be a ( ROMCOM or ROMFLUFF )
6: Title: We're different, You & I

 

------

 

Stars.

Twinkling stars.

Saerim let out a small breath as she stared up at the sky.

The long uncut grass tickled at her bare arms and back but she didn't mind. She wasn't like most girls who minded the dirt or cared about what sort of insects were crawling in the grass under her back.

Saerim smiled up at the starlit skies. It wasn't often that they could see stars nowadays, especially in city areas like Seoul.

Saerim found this little piece of heaven in a slightly rural area in the urban city and it had quickly developed to becoming her secret place where she came to whenever she needed to think or was emotional.

Saerim liked the quiet of the place. The serene.

She never liked to talk much because she had the tendency to stutter. When she was young, she was often the object of laughter of her many peers and she often rushed home crying. She went to speech training for a good many years and now she could talk just okay, if she wasn't too agitated or emotional.

However by the time when her speech recovered, it was too late.

She lost all her friends. No one wanted to talk to her and they all laughed at her shortcomings. Even when she was able to talk properly, they didn't notice and they didn't praise her for it, not knowing how many hours of work it took at night when she practiced talking in front of the mirror.

They and and ....till she broke down and stuttered again.

And that was all they remembered, the moment when her weakness came through and when she failed.

It was the reason why Saerim didn't talk much to anyone even though her speech was now fine. She was used to being alone now, since people didn't stick around her.

Sometimes it was hard to bear and she had to pretend it was okay when no one volunteered to be her partner when they had to split for pair work. She had to pretend she liked sitting alone for lunch when sometimes she wanted someone to talk to.

Saerim was lost in her thoughts for a long time, forgetting the time and where she was as she just stared up at the stars. A soft shuffling made her snap out of it.

A boy leaned against the tree as he looked at her silently. Saerim blinked at him, he looked familiar when she was looking at him upside down.

She sat up and shook the leaves out of her hair blinking at him in recognition. "Byun Baekhyun." her voice sounded coarse.

Baekhyun nodded and sat down beside her. His eyes were unguarded and he didn't hide what he was feeling. For now, it was curiosity. "Kim Saerim. What are you doing here?" he murmured. "I've never seen you around this area."

"I don't live here, if that's what you're asking." Saerim muttered softly. "I come here to watch the stars."

"The stars." Baekhyun looked up. "Oh." he smiled. "They're really pretty."

Saerim shifted uncomfortably, not used to the company. Baekhyun glanced at her. "We've been in the same class for like...three years?" he mused. "I realize  I've never talked to you. This is the first. Funny huh?"

*Not really. People don't talk to me, that's just the custom.* Saerim thought. Baekhyun looked at her and smiled geniunely. "Let's talk more from now on, Saerim. I just live near here when I saw you lying on the ground. Do you come here often? When you do, you can knock on the second house right there. I'll drop everything and come have a chat." he grinned.


Saerim lowered her gaze to the ground. A chat?

-----

Saerim was leaning against the tree, reading a novel.

The night breeze tickled her arm and lifted her stray pieces of hair that came out of her ponytail. Someone plopped himself next to her and Saerim stiffened in surprise.


"Hey."

Saerim glanced at him, swallowing. "Hey." she whispered.

"I was playing my guitar by the window when I noticed someone sitting here reading. I figured it was you so I came over." Baekhyun smiled. "What book are you reading?"

Saerim didn't answer as she flipped the cover for him to see. "Pride and Prejudice." Baekhyun read the title over her shoulder. He leaned so close to her that she could feel his breath tickle her cheek. "Hmm...Mr Darcy isn't that attractive in my opinion, but I respect your choice." he grinned his famous cheeky grin.

Saerim looked away, flustered. "I..." she whispered. "Don't talk to me in school, Baekhyun sshi."

Baekhyun snapped his head towards her. That day was the first time Baekhyun had approached Saerim in the school's premises and it got everyone talking. They kept saying she was his charity case and told her not to hope for the impossible.

She got emotional right then, hurt and insecure. She didn't like the attention and knew that if focused on her for a while more, she would stutter when she talked. She was so close to showing her flaws right then again.

"Why don't you want me to talk to you in school?" Baekhyun frowned. "We're friends, aren't we?" Saerim lowered her gaze, not answering.

Baekhyun sighed and looked away, raking his fingers through his hair. "It's because of my popularity isn't it?" he murmured."It's such a burden, this face. I'm glad to look like this but sometimes it's an when people just wouldn't stop pestering you."

He looked at her seriously. "I talk to you if I want, Saerim. I'm not going to care what other people think."

Saerim thought she would feel desperation at his stubborn attitude, but found herself forcing down a smile.

-----

Saerim felt another tear trickle down her cheek and she wiped it away furiously. Why did she have to be born with a mouth like that? If she could speak, couldn't she do it properly?

Baekhyun and her were getting steadily closer through the days, but that morning in school, Saerim lost it. Some girls were apparently not too happy with Saerim and Baekhyun's close relationship and confronted her about it. Right in the hallway where everyone could hear.

They had dug out her past secrets and learnt that she stuttered when she was young, laughing at her about it. It made her mad, and when she was made, she stuttered involuntarily.

They laughed, everyone.

The one person she had managed to let into her heart's barriers, Baekhyun, he heard her when she did. She felt so ashamed. He would be bound to leave her. Why would he want to associate himself with someone who stuttered?

And so she ran out of school in her school uniform before Baekhyun could reach her, running and running without a backward glance. She got here to her not so secret little heaven, not once considering that Baekhyun knew about this place.

Baekhyun found her easily, softening when he saw her breaking down while hugging her knees. "Saerim." he whispered.

Saerim stiffened, squeezing her eyes shut. He was going to leave her, he was going to. No doubt.

"Saerim look at me." he lifted her head and flinched at the tears. He wiped them off tenderly and sighed, brushing the hair out of her face. "Saerim please don't cry."

"I-I-I.." she squeezed her eyes shut again, damning herself. "I s-stutter. I-It's been t-t-there since I w-was young. N-No one w-wanted to t-talk to m-me because t-they thought it w-was...f-funny."

Tears trickled down her cheeks. "T-That's why I d-didn't w-want you talking to m-me." she whispered. "You'll f-find out my u-ugly side a-a-and you'll l-leave me." she sobbed.

"Babo how is that ugly?" Baehkyun asked in a soothing voice, wrapping his arms around her and rocking her side to side. "Why would I leave you? I chose you when I first talked to you, I'm not going to regret my choices."

Saerim trembled, looking up at him. "You're not going to unfriend me?"

"It wasn't even a word until Facebook popped up and Greyson chance came out with that song." Baekhyun chuckled softly. "And it's definitely not in my dictionary."

"You're in my life now, Kim Saerim. You're not getting out of it."

And then Saerim thought, perhaps, she could find someone who would stay by her side. Even if the others left.