.fifty-six.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

It felt so long.

-GeneJuni XDD

 

I'm so despicable.

When I honestly wanted him for myself,

there is this someone who is radiating with warmth next to him.

She is more worthy of being love than me.

 

To why she was here, she did not know anymore. Minah walked to a path leading to her family’s tomb where there engraved memories of the distant past coming to her again. She closed her eyes and felt momentarily at peace. She was advised by the doctor to stop visiting it whenever she wanted to. It was part of the therapy but she could not help it. She thought that if she could be there, she could her parents are watching over her.

She put the bouquet of flowers on the side and tried to lie down on the grass beside it. She saw the forget-me-not blue skies as the grass tickled her skin. She heaved a deep sigh, and tried to smile again.

But, she couldn’t.

The pain was still heavy and she was not doing well of being in here.

 “So, you’re here.” The face of Kai made her bolt upright. Kai laughed softly, as he removed the bits of grass on her hair.

“How’d you know---“

“It’s just I’ve felt like visiting also. You’ve got me fooled by this.” He pointed at the tomb with the epitome of Minah’s name.

Minah grimaced and tried to hide it with a fake smile. “Kai….now that I’ve come back, we could start anew, right?”

He nodded. But, he saw how Minah looked at him, fixated on him. He blushed unknowingly. “I’ll let you meet…many people I’ve come accustomed to.”

“Including that…Soojung, right?”

Kai’s face lit up. “Yeah, including her.”

Minah nodded and tried to get up.

“I’ll help you.” Kai got up first and supported her.

“Your hands have become so big and strong. They’re also unexpectedly warmer.”

“You made me strong.” Kai felt tinge of tears welling up on his eyes. He could not believe that the person he cried rivers of tears for was right here now. This fate had bonded him with so many people and now, he’s back again with his first love.

“Your back…and your shoulders become broad, too.” Minah tried to squeeze her hand with his. “Can I hold your hand for a little bit?”

“I’m fine with it.”

Minah laughed softly. “You’re not blushing, are you?”

Kai got flustered, getting caught up with the moment. He missed the company of this young girl. Her soft brown eyes were still cold, but he could see hints of warmth still present. He wanted this person to come back to him, being cheerful again, happy again. With that, he could continue moving on.

“You should find a new life worth living for.” Kai said, looking at Minah’s lit-up face.

“I’ve already found a place, though.” Minah fidgeted next to him. She let go of his hand. “It’s beside you.” She found herself looking at her white sandals.

Kai looked away. “Let’s better get going. I’m afraid Sulli would be really worried about you right now. She’s fond of throwing tantrums.”

“Neh….”

 

Sulli was still looking at her phone right now. It was a bright Saturday, a week had passed since Minah’s arrival. She was going to the mall with Minah but she ran away again. It was like the past few days that she would find her out and then after a few hours, coming back again.

“She really got a bit weirder.” Sulli shook her head. “But, I couldn’t let her to meet him.” She sighed. Her phone rang suddenly. She got a bit flustered at it and tried to answer with a bit of annoying noise coming from her.
“She’s here.” It was Kai. She felt reassured that Minah’s with him.

“Oh well, hurry up. Krystal and I would be meeting up. So, you better go to Lotte Mall, okay?” Sulli hang up the phone. “It might let her feel a bit in peace.” She said to herself.

 

“Where are we going?” Minah and Kai hailed at taxi. They went straight to Lotte Mall.

“Ahh….you’re practically going to meet up with Sulli and Krystal.”

“Okay?” They stopped to the entrance of the mall. Sulli waved enthusiastically at both of them. “The girl beside her…”

“That’s Krystal…” Kai wanted to avoid her at most. He would leave right away. How could he say goodbye? But, maybe just a little bit more, he’s convincing his parents to extend it up to the end of their school year. Just a little bit more time, but he would savor it.

“Minah!” Sulli called out loud.

“Neh~ Coming…” Minah ran to her side. She gave Krystal a knowing look. “Let’s go, Jinri-yah!” She interlocked her arm with Sulli’s and shoved her away from Krystal. Krystal felt suddenly left out. Kai just looked at the three girls, well, he’s going to be a chaperone for all he cares.

Krystal looked behind her and saw Kai, feeling half-hearted at everything. “Can you hurry up, slowpoke?” Suddenly, Krystal felt like saying it even if they were quite awkward these past few days. Maybe, because she felt like the gap between them was increasing at an incredible pace.

Kai locked his gaze on hers. “O..kay.” He said and rubbed the nape of his neck.

Krystal went to catch up with the two cousins.

Well, everywhere they went, Krystal felt like Minah was avoiding her. Even Kai and Sulli noticed it, so they tried to put Krystal and Minah together. But to no avail, Minah felt distant to Krystal. Sulli meanwhile glared at Kai, mouthing to herself. Because of this guy, maybe?

“Let’s grab something to eat.” Kai looked at the sweets shop, eyeing some good food for them. But, the truth was, his knees were getting a bit jelly already and for goodness’ sake, he wanted rest. Krystal followed up and so the two others.

“Oh my god…” Kai rubbed his legs. “How could all of you take that long time just window-shopping? I don’t really understand girls…” Kai gave a comical glance at the three of them.

The three girls laughed at him. “I should have invited Taem---“ Sulli gasped.

Both Krystal and Kai looked at her. They knew the situation, too. Sulli had discussed it to them prior to this. Krystal wanted so badly for him to come too but to Minah, it could be a shocker.

“I’ll order. What do you like?” Minah stood up, taking their orders.

“I’ll help you, then.” Kai followed suit. Somehow, Krystal felt a little bit jealous. If only Sehun was there, but he had some practice and things to settle with his team.

“Just leave both of them.” Sulli advised her. “Maybe, you’re a bit shock about this but Kai is just making things better for her…”

“I’m not worried about that!” Krystal’s cheeks reddened.

“Tsk.” Sulli looked at both of them. “It seemed like we’re the other people meddling with a couple.” She smiled.

“Ahhh..yeah.” Krystal smiled weakly. “They really do suit each other.”

“Arghh…” Sulli grunted. “I’m quite frustrated here. How couldn’t Kai really just choose between both of you? Aish..”

“Do you think Minah still feels the same way toward him?” Krystal asked curiously.

“Of course, she talks about him 24/7.” Suddenly, Sulli got a little bit confused. She thought of Sehun and felt apologetic about it. “I’m sorry…” She tried to reason with herself. “Of course, you’re with Sehun now.”

“Oh…” Krystal somewhat forgot that she needed to debate about it to Sull a while ago. Maybe, she somehow got used with her liking Kai.

“No matter what, I should just stay out of this.” Sulli got frantic as she saw Minah and Kai approaching.

“What’s with your face?” Kai narrowed his brows.

“Nothing.” Sulli said. Perspiration was building up on her temples.

“Sit down then.” Krystal helped her out.

 

They talked about nonsense and this and that. The fashion trends. Good thing Kai finally found a place to sleep on and took a nap on the table.

Krystal laughed as he saw his sleeping face. “How could he fell asleep at this place?” Krystal to stir him but…

“Don’t wake him up. Let him be.” Minah’s face became soft and angelic. Krystal looked up to her and felt a different kind of warmth radiating for her. So, this is the person he likes, huh? His first love. What an angel. Krystal said to herself and let him be.

“What do you still like about him, huh?” Sulli started to tensed up without realizing. She blurted out the one thing she couldn’t open up with Minah.

“I still like him because…” She touched the curls on Kai’s chestnut-brown hair. “He didn’t change. Maybe, that was what I like about him still. Maybe, it was all thanks to you.” She shifted her gaze to Krystal.

Krystal gulped as she sipped her fruit smoothie.

“You turned him back to being the same old him I had remembered.” Minah looked out of the shop’s window. “And for that, I’ve wanted to tell you this…” She locked her eyes with her. “Thank you.” She smiled soft-heartedly.

Krystal’s heart raced fast. She felt a bit guilty about this. There were some of the feelings that were left. She couldn’t understand but wanted to say, “No. I didn’t do it for your sake. It was just….” She looked intently at him sleeping. “I couldn’t leave him alone.” She hushed further, careful that it might wake him up.

“No one could leave him be…” Minah leaned next to him. Her face was inching closer and closer. “I like him.” Minah pecked on his left cheek which startled Krystal all the more. She could feel that that kiss was filled with love for him.

“Mnmmm…” Kai stirred finally. “What are both of you talking about?” He looked at all three of them. Suddenly, Krystal’s face got flustered red; she was at the brink of crying.

“Excuse me.” She ran up to the bathroom. That Minah….how could she be so honest? While I am being like this, I’m really a despicable person. I want him for myself when someone is still longing for him to be beside her. And, I already have Sehun.

Krystal washed her face at the bathroom, afraid that they might feel guilty of what happened to her if ever she comes back.

Meanwhile, after Krystal calmed down, she saw Kai sitting beside the door of the girls’ bathroom obviously waiting for her.

“What’s the deal?” His face was of a concerned one.