twenty-two.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

Due to the heat

Love is brewing

Can these two say what they wanted to say?

 

Jinri and their maid quietly set the table as they waited for Kai’s arrival. He was really late. Due to the intense practice from soccer, he arrived at about eight already. Sulli looked really hungry as she threw her body in the sofa waiting for Kai to see her.

Kai entered the house with heavy footsteps; he looked tired and hungry as well. He arranged his shoes and tried to take off his coat. He sat beside Sulli who was glaring at him.

“Waeyo? I’m really, really hungry!” Sulli slightly punched his left arm.

“*Cough* *Cough*” Kai looked red. “I’m sorry…because of our training; I needed to take extra hours. Why are you waiting for me?”

“Why would I not---“ Sulli took notice of something. She looked intently on him and placed her hand on his forehead. He has a slight fever.

“Well…” Kai caught her hand. “Let’s eat for now.” He relieved her with one of his charismatic smiles.

“Neh.” She nodded.

Meanwhile, in the dinner table, Kai doesn’t have any appetite while Sulli tried to mumble many things about the upcoming cultural festival. Their class was having a café for that purpose. Kai just looked at her trying to smile.

“He looked so awkward right, ahjumma?” Sulli tried to ask the maid who then glanced back at Kai.

“Well…uhh…Miss Sulli, I have something to tell you about.” The maid had spoken now with careful words. She tried to look down while Sulli waited for her plea. “Well…I needed to visit my sick daughter back in our province. My husband’s trying to keep in touch---“

“Go on.” She tried to stand up and held the hand of the maid.

“But, your mother doesn’t want the two of you to be alo—“

“I’ll be inviting friends over tomorrow. Ah! We will have to discuss a few things about the cultural festival. So, we’d be out for the weekends. Hmmm… maybe, we would just sleep on Krystal’s place.” She turned red all of a sudden. “I also don’t want Krystal to get mad at me again.”

*Coughing hardly* Kai hesitatingly tried to take a bite of the seaweed soup. He couldn’t taste anything but tried to finish his bowl of rice. He stood up and tried to reach for a glass of water. He was shaking so the glass slipped out of his hand. Sulli and the maid heard it and tried to rush.

Sulli tried to support Kai as they went to the second floor. “You’re really heavy…” Sulli said as they took slow but sure steps on the stairs.

They had arrived to the place. Sulli threw a t-shirt and training pants to Kai as she locked the room. “Hey, you…you better change, kay? I’ll see you back in thirty minutes, huh? I’ll just be going to the convenience store.”

“*Coughing still* Hey don’t stay out too long. You could just buy tomorrow, I would be fine.”

“No way…you would. Thank God you didn’t collapse on the way here.”

 

Sulli hurried to the pharmacy adjacent to the convenience store. Before that, she bought supplies for tomorrow because the maid would be taking days off. She tried to ask with a worried face the medicine she needed. The person-in-charge gladly helped her. She took notes of the things she needed to remember. She looked anxious while bidding goodbye, “Annyeong…”

She ran past the busy streets of their neighborhood and arrived later than she expected. The maid was already sounding asleep on the small room across hers. She then checked on Kai.

“Ah…are you still awake, Jong In-ah?” There was no reply in the room. “Then…I’ll be taking be entering.” She was carrying a black bag with water and medicines. She tried to pour water on the glass and tried to administer the medicine.

“Hey…Jong In-ah…” She tapped him softly. He blinked and looked surprised. She tried to wipe the sweat on his forehead with her handkerchief.

“Thank you…” He tried to swallow the pill. “Sorry also.”

“You don’t have to say sorry. Thank you is just enough. Good night.” Sulli whilst closing the door turned off the lights on his room. “Sleep tight.” She murmured.

 

It was just four o’clock. Sulli tried to dial a number on her cellphone. She looked ready to cook lunch but looked depressed again. “Krystal…are you awake?” Sulli tried to call her a couple of times. “Ah…still no reply.”

She texted her with this simple message : ‘Can you watch for Jong In while I am going with Taemin in the market to get ready for the cultural event? You know we’re in-charge of the accommodations. Please reply fast.

 

It was 4:16. While Sulli was frying the scrambled eggs, Sulli received a call from Krystal. “Hey, what happened to Jong In, huh? Eotteokhae? I overslept …argh, hey, SULLI! CHOI JINRIIII!!!”

Sulli tried to distance the phone because she might get her ears bursting. “Hey, calm down…there. Well, his condition had gotten worse from just a simple cold. His fever is really high. But, I needed to go and shop with our classmates, you know?” Sulli said as she sliced the scrambled egg into small bite-sized omelets. She quickly poured the seaweed soup on a casserole and left it there. “Hello…Krystal, you still there?”

“Ah…” Krystal seemed to be hesitant. “Do I really need to be the one to take care of him?”

“Of course, who would? You are HIS girlfriend.” Sulli could feel the nervousness on Krystal’s voice. Suddenly, Kai, coughing out loud, went to the kitchen and tried to have himself a glass of water to relieve himself of thirst. “Hey, KAI! Your forehead is still burning…”

“Ahem…” He cleared his voice and snatched the phone. “It’s alright, I don’t need you to take care of me.”

“Who is this? Jong In-ah! You’re voice seemed to be hoarse.” Krystal couldn’t contain her guilt. “Fine, I’ll take care of you.”

“Who said I’d allow you to—“ He cut off his words and was about to lose consciousness. “I’d be going to my room.” He said, toughening himself up. “Sorry Jinri…for taking care of me.”

“Jong In-ah…” Sulli tried to again keep in touch with Krystal. But, she already hanged up. “Pweeh.. Those two, they are having a quarrel.”

Sulli finished the food to be served for the sick Kai. She tried to get back and get a few hours more of beauty sleep.

 

It was 8’clock already. The sunshine hit Sulli’s face. There were loud knocks at the door. She hurriedly went out and welcomed the people…to be precisely, Taemin, Krystal and Sehun.

“Hey, hey…the three of you…” Sulli said as she rubbed her sleepy eyes.

“You looked good in pajamas.” Taemin . She noticed him and blushed momentarily.

“Anyway…just come inside… Sorry, the nanny wasn’t around. So, Krystal…” Sulli glanced back at Krystal. “Is it alright if we could sleep…in your house…the---“

“I’ve already packed my clothes. I heard that your nanny took days off. So, I’d be sleeping here…more of, living here until…the maid comes back.”

“Of course, you should.” Taemin crossed his arms. “Why is it that he is living with you? He should transfer at the dorms already…”

 

 

“Well…he was planning to. Because---“ Before Sulli could continue what she was about to say, Kai went downstairs again and tried to welcome them. “Hey, you fool of a guy!”

“Hey…hey,” He said as Sulli approached him. “You lie down here and wait for me until I come back, arasseo?”

“Mnmm…” Kai was forced to lie down to the sofa. He looked scared as Sulli pouted.

“Now..now..I needed to change clothes.”

 

After changing, Sulli grabbed Sehun’s and Taemin’s arms and walked off faraway.

“Hey..hey don’t we need someone to watch them…I mean, Kai’s still a guy…” Sehun debated.

“Sehun, for goodness’ sake, are you in love with her?!” Taemin looked puzzled. But, he knew the truth all along. The infatuation seemed to get to his sense already.

“No way…I didn’t notice.” Sulli stopped walking. “Are you really…”

“Stop with this alright. It doesn’t concern the two of you if I like her…”

“So, you really do?” Taemin asked as he looked at a piece of paper. “So, these are the things that we needed?” He purposely changed the subject abruptly. Sehun heaved a sigh as Sulli continued to walk.

“Aish, why does it need to be a café?” Sulli looked worried.

“Why? That would be fine…all of the girls would wear maid outfits.” Sehun tried to imagine Krystal welcoming him in the café. He looked giddy as he followed her scent to a table as she pulled a chair and said to him, ‘Welcome Master’.

“Hey…stop daydreaming. We’ll be butlers there.” Taemin folded the piece of paper and put it on his pockets.

Meanwhile, Sulli giggled out loud. “I couldn’t way to see the almight Lee Taemin to dress up like a butler.”

“No, no, he wouldn’t be.” Sehun tried to think of it. “He will dress up as a girl… Changmin, Kyuhyun and Luhan-hyung are anticipating it so much.”

“WHAT?!” Taemin looked bewildered. He looked out of tune until they arrived at the bus stop. They rode off and went to a big supermarket.

 

Choi Residence

“Ah…what to do?” Krystal doesn’t know what to do. Thankfully, she looked at the sticky notes stuck at the refrigerator. Sulli must have been eyeing at her to look after on Kai at this day.

“So…I needed to give him medicine… NOW.” She looked at the cabinets for the cold medicine. She carried also towel and basin on his room. He looked peaceful while sleeping.

“So..I needed to take care of this guy.” She tried to put the wet towel on his forehead and she took out a pill and tried to wake him up. “Wake up, you sleepyhead.”

“Ah…” Kai was struggling.

“Oh, wait…breakfast first.” She went out of his room. She wiped the traces amount of sweat. She blushed as she carried again a tray of food from the kitchen. Sulli reheated the soup.

“Too hot. Blow on it.” Kai was acting like a spoiled child.

“WHAT? WTF!” She yelled. “Ah…you’re hopeless.” She gently blew on the seaweed soup and served him a spoonful of rice after.

“Thanks.” Kai munched the food. Krystal couldn’t believe that she was feeding him all along.

“After this…here, the medicine.” Krystal offered him water. Kai swallowed the pill and wanted to come back to sleep.

“Can you help me to change my clothes?” Kai was giving her problems.

“But, but…where’s your clothes?” She toughened herself up as Kai pointed the wardrobe. “Ah…there..” It was the first time for Krystal to see a man’s wardrobe. It was unexpectedly spotless. “You…are you fond of having your things neat?”

“No, Sulli is…” He again coughed as Krystal hurriedly took out a gray t-shirt.

“Ah…here.” She stretched out her hand as Kai took the shirt.

“Hey…I said, would you help me.” Kai smirked again. He now took off his shirt.

“KYAAAAHHHH!!!” Krystal turned back. She hid her face with her two hands. She slowly titled her head. He really needed someone to help him. “Fine, you’re body isn’t…really…”

“Really what?” Krystal leaned her head as she helped him to wear the shirt. Her face was just an inch close to him. She blushed as she glanced at his face. “What, Jung Soojung?”

“Nothing…not that it really matters.” She distanced herself as he successfully wore the shirt.

“Hahaha. You’re blushing…” He . But now, he looked happier as he looked at Krystal. She was relieved at that. And now, before she knew it, she had discovered a different side of Kai. He fell asleep after a few minutes.

 

Surprisingly, Krystal heard a phone buzzing from near her. She checked her phone but there was no incoming call. She looked for another. She found Kai’s.

Incoming Overseas Call

Han Geun Young

She looked at the display and tried to answer.

“Hello, unnie. This is Krystal. Jong In couldn’t answer you right n---“

“Hey, KAI!!!! She…she’s alive… Choi Mina…she’s here. She’s here at the same hospital where I am recovering.  But, she looked like a dried up vegetable. Wait, who is this?”

“It…it’s Krystal.” Krystal was stuttering. She didn’t know the ‘she’ Geun Young was pertaining to.

“Krystal?” Geun Young had a slip of tongue.

 

Finally, my laptop is lagging

So, I needed to post it on our desktop

Hopes the delay won't make you too irritated

I know that....this might be a bad omen.

 

I'm saying this personally

Kaistal, Hwaiting! 

I hope this 'arc' about the two of you would be a good one~

Can't wait for Chapter 23? Haha. Check out this fic.

 

Someday- We Will Meet Again | 언젠가는 우리 다시 만나