forty-two.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

Could I cure your love with my love?

Could I pick up the broken pieces?

Do I deserve this chance?

 

 

“Saengil chukahaeyo…” The gang bowed low to Mrs. Kim. Mrs. Kim grinned as she looked at her son’s friends. “All of you…are really good.” She commented, sticking her tongue like a child. She was an easy-going person, but quite stern at some times.

She was totally unpredicted. But, that was how she modeled Kai and his other sisters. It was to be tough as steel and soft as a cupcake at times. Though she could be quite remarkable and dignified, she was humble at all times.

These traits were passed down from her to Kai. They both resembled each other at all angles.

“Thank you for coming.” She handed them a small token of gratitude. It was like a give-away. It was a wine glass made from the finest glass in town. The gang was baffled to receive it. Kai vaguely smiled as he looked at his mother.

“Oh…here comes, noona.” Kai riveted his gaze upon a tall, young woman. She was on her early twenties yet she looked so matured and unlikely-behaviors for her age were seen. She wasn’t fascinated to the awes of the crowd for her. She seemed to always having her head down yet the look on her face made her different from the rest. She’s truly a beauty, a beauty enough to be envied by Krystal and Sulli who were having their mouths ajar as she passed by them.

“Annyeonghaseyo…” The girls sang in unison. The boys shook their heads. They, too, were speechless.

“How could he have a family such as this?” Sehun rubbed the back of his neck. He gestured to the table and grabbed a plate to eat. He was deadly hungry and couldn’t take it anymore. He filled his plate with lots and lots of food. He dug them up in one go. All eyes were on him.

Krystal noticed him, sitting on a corner. She approached him and handed him a tissue.

“Here. Wipe off that crumble.” Krystal pointed with her finger.

Sehun blushed and tried to wipe it off with the back of his hand.

“I said to use this.” She pointed at the tissue.

“Sorry…” His words were vague due to his filled mouth.

“Pfft.” Krystal chuckled nonchalantly. “I couldn’t believe that he belongs to a family of doctors. How could he have so many mysteries up his sleeves? He surprises me at every nook and cranny.”

“You are always praising him.” Sehun sipped the water on the glass. “I couldn’t take it when you look at him with those awed eyes of yours.”

“OH SEHUN!” She pinched his cheeks.

He groaned in pain but laughed cheekily. “I think you should take a break from catching his attention.”

“I’m not try---“ Krystal noticed a different spark on Sehun’s eyes. “Why do you look like that?” She muttered under her breath.

“I’m determined right now. I wanted you to forget about him.”

“After dressing up like this…” Krystal mumbled, looking at herself from head to toe. She was wearing a floral cocktail dress made of a soft cloth back in the European countries. She had her hair made into a bun as she put a tiny tiara. She looked like a princess, as she gestured at every place with her five-inched heels. She totally outsmarted the girls at the party. This was less to be expected from the heiress.

Sehun noticed her different side. He was completely absorbed at what Taemin was talking about to him. He forgot how Krystal looked so perfect. He gulped and stole a glance at her. She was sitting right in front of him, at the opposite seat facing him. He then looked at the window as he saw the sea side reflecting the moonlight glow from above. He took a deep breath.

As he focused his eyes on the outside, he turned his head to look at Krystal. Krystal was glowing just like a mermaid statue having the same smile of an angel. No one could describe her who surpasses Homer’s muse. She’s a goddess.

Sehun couldn’t possibly have the time to be sitting idly, staring at her. The plan needed to commence but he didn’t know how to picture his first move. He just wanted to feel the atmosphere right now. That would be the first side-step. He bolted upright and damped the plate at the bunch of dirty plates already.

He saw Lee Taemin damping his own. Sehun’s eyes bulged out. Taemin winked at him and patted his shoulder. “Do not act too stiff.”Taemin gestured to leave, as he waved to Sulli.

He was properly attending to his girlfriend’s needs. Everything was taken care of. It felt like Taemin’s mind was bugged by something. It was definitely a bad premonition. A storm was brewing, and he couldn’t keep his composure. He was going to burst at any time.

He must have had found out something that he didn’t like.

It totally smelled like that. But, Sehun didn’t bother to look up on things. He was not even able to notice Taemin’s sly movements that were so different from before.  He was preoccupied to his given tasks. How could he make Krystal for him instead?

He slowly took his step, wavering and thinking. He was holding a full glass filled with orange juice. He was not looking in front of him, as he was about to bump into someone’s chest.

The pieces of glass fell on the floor. He bowed low and tried to pick up the pieces. He was cut and tried to bit his finger. He looked up to see who it was. He was surprised that it was a woman. And, her dress was tainted by the orange liquid he was drinking a while ago. He stood up and panicked. He grabbed the tissue on the near table. Yet, it was not to be meddled anymore.

Kai’s noona’s stare on him signified of her culminating anger at this point. Apologizing wouldn’t be a need to.

“Aigoo…” Kai’s noona couldn’t believe how everything transpired. She was having a headache.

“I’ll…I’ll help you.” Krystal came to Sehun’s aid.

Krystal gave Sehun an emphatic gaze. “I’ll take care of this. Now, go.”

 

Krystal led Kai’s noona to the far-off dressing room to make some touch-ups. Krystal was used to this type of spilled things and knew how to make temporary amends to it. She was skilled due her being trained by her mother alongside with her old sister, Jessica.

As she was professionally temporarily removing the stains on Kai’s noona, her attention was called upon by the rose brooch pinner on his sister’s chest. It was hanging on her black dress. She couldn’t take her eyes off it. She was totally mesmerized. It was as if a magical item that stuck itself on her mind, making a memory at that instant. She pulled herself out of it and tried to wake herself up from her imaginations.

“What is it? Do you like this?” Kai’s noona’s words were pretty taunting. But, Krystal knew she was just teasing.

“No…I just admire you. It looked so good on you.”

“I know, but…” Kai’s noona removed the brooch. “…I don’t want this.”

Krystal was shocked as she saw his noona putting it on a table like it was some useless thing.

“How could you do that? I think that it’s expensive.” From the looks of things, Krystal could see the imaginary price tag stuck on it. She could fairly guess that a considerable amount of money was spent from that rose brooch.

“But, riches couldn’t buy you happiness.” She mumbled under her breath.

“Unnie…how does it feel like you’re agonizing?” Krystal was finished on clearing the mess. The stain was not apparent as it was in the first sight; Kai’s noona was relieved and gestured to go. “Wait…what ‘bout this?” She called her unnie’s attention.

Kai’s noona was already turning the door knob, but she stopped with her tracks.

“Well…that was given by my fiancé. He’s truly great to me. He gives me anything. We’re going to get married soon, and I was really hoping for the best.”

“What is it that’s bothering you?” Krystal stood there like a statue. Her question was yearning for answers.

“He could have been much happy with her. You… know about this unrequited love, right? It stings the most out of all the love. The feelings left in here were the greatest.” She rubbed her chest. “Too suffocating.”

“I don’t think that he doesn’t care about yo---“

“He doesn’t. That is why he’s sending me these things. He didn’t even come to my mother’s birthday party. I couldn’t match up with his first love. Even if we vowed to each other that we’d forget about the other lovers before us, he seemed to be resisting. He’s not going to go on my own pace.”

“We both have the same experiences. “ Krystal uttered, unafraid of what this conversation would lead to

“Really? I think that he’s…always busy with work. And, that he’d come but he’s really late right now. I don’t think we should be continuing with this marriage. I couldn’t help but---“ She sniffed, hiding the tears overflowing.

“Unnie, you should take this easy.” Krystal was giving out advises.

“It’s the hardest to move on. But, once you did, you’d be happy that something somewhat a burden would be lifted. I’d just wait turning a blind eye on him as always. I would wait until he recovers from the wounds of his heart.”

Krystal began to remember someone. She began to remember him. It was Oh Sehun. Just like Kai’s noona, he was living with the hopes of a bright future. He was, as well, waiting for her to get over Kai and to face him.  She felt how much hurt Sehun could be, how much hurt he always had to experience.

“Let’s go now to the party. Would you be so kind to spend the night in here? I wouldn’t think that that’d be a bother.” Kai’s noona suggested.

Krystal nodded reluctantly. “I’ll tell it to others.”

They both went out of the room.

 

Just after a few more hours, the gang decided to spend the night at the hotel. They were exhausted and already giving up for this day. It wouldn’t hurt to spend the night there.

As they were separating their ways on the hallway, they were called upon by the screeching tires of the limousine. They were fixated in the white limo viewed at the windowpane.

“Who could’ve arrived?” Kai commented, still dismissing the concern. “Let’s just go.” He ushered them to go to their separate suites.

“My god…that’s!” The butler shouted, surprising everyone. “Sir, that’s your noona’s fiancé. He came though he said he couldn’t.”

“What?” Kai made a straight face. He tilted his head and looked. “Oh…that Hyungnim.”

There was someone who alighted and with heavy footsteps, he came inside the hotel. The others didn’t view how much he was desperately climbing the emergency stairs. He was totally out of tune and preferred the stairs as it could make the passing time shorter.

He arrived. “Oh…Song Hyungnim.” Kai called out to Mr. Song, a bachelor of high stature. He was already engaged to his sister. “Why are you here?”

“Where’s your sister?”

 

“OMO!” Kai’s noona gasped. She mistook her lover for someone else when she saw someone running the stairs. “You did, come?” She blinked rapidly, not believing. “Jongin, pinch noona.”

“Neh.” He obeyed and pinched her cheeks hardly.

“Ouch…” Something struck her. This was not a dream and that was her decision. “Honey~” She ran on his arms.

Mr. Song deeply comforted his beloved. He consoled her with the best hug he could give.

“Let’s leave them.” Taemin, looking like a hyung to them, ushered to leave.

“That was what I’m saying…”

 

As Sehun turned his head to leave, Krystal caught on to his tee shirt.  She pulled him closer.

With a determined face, “Sehun… could you please go out with me?!”

 

Why could this turn out to be?

Omo~