.fifty-four.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

When I thought everything was smooth-sailing,

I saw how it was distressful.

To be able to see you again

I didn't know what to do.

 

 

Kai came back on the dorms, feeling so much muscle cramps from going to the beach. He threw his duffel bag on his bed, wanting to quickly lean back on his seat. He closed his eyes for a moment, trying to catch some sleep. He rested upon his desk, burying his face. He noticed that he forgot to get his jacket from Krystal.

A smile crept onto his face as he had that sudden realization. He liked the way things turned out to be with the exception of Sehun, of course. That guy had been very different these past few days. He wanted so much to hit a conversation but to utter disbelief, Sehun wanted to distance himself from him.

He finally noticed of how his dorm room was well-lit. He looked up at the ceiling and noticed that he was not the one who turned it on. He watched as some baggage was set on the far-off corner of his room. He looked at the window and saw how the curtains were nesting a strange shadow of a human.

This made him raise a brow. He quickly tried to shove the curtains and saw someone. It was someone he didn’t believe could go there and see him.

Was he enjoying this moment or was he not?

 

Sehun sent Krystal home. In that moment when they got to the bus, there was an awkward silence. Krystal sat beside Sehun. She found him gazing on that warm summer night as if he was having some hard thoughts. This made Krystal quiver in fear that she made this person so uneasy.

Even though the night was warm, Sehun felt chilly. He was being cold to her and it sent him to hell. He couldn’t resist how much load she was pressuring herself on just to get along with him. But, he really didn’t want to face the truth. He was too scared that Krystal would come up with an idea to break up with him. This made him think of so many thoughts, totally clouding up his judgment. If only this was just the old times when he could openly talk to her in class, even though he knew that her heart already belonged to someone.

He ruffled through his hair and smiled weakly. He didn’t notice that Krystal was leaning on his shoulder, falling asleep. Even though she got a bit sun-burnt, her face was still as perfect. Sehun gazed upon her gentle face, seeing that sleep could make her so peaceful such as that.

“Krystal….” He ran his hand through hers. It was totally soft. It felt refreshing to him. He didn’t have a chance to spend some decent time with her because he was feeling different with Kai around them. But, he knew that Kai was not a bad person. “I’m sorry….” He tapped his hand on her head.

This stirred Krystal. He diverted his gaze on the window distractingly.

Krystal rubbed her eyes and saw Sehun totally fixated on the glass window. “Sehun-ah…” She murmured for only her to hear.

They got off and Sehun escorted Krystal up to the front of the mansion.

“Wait up…” Krystal knew that Sehun would turn his back on her any time soon. She wished he could stay longer with her.

“What is it?” Sehun asked, trembling.

“We need to talk…” Krystal looked defiantly on his brown orbs. Sehun tried to avoid her but Krystal pulled his face even closer with both of her hands. Since he was tall, Krystal tried her best to make his head lean closer to hers. “Look at me only.”

“I’m…” Sehun hesitantly backed off. “I’m already looking…”

“This isn’t about Kai and me any longer…” Krystal started. “It’s about us.”

“I know that there are still lingering feelings for him in your heart…” Sehun was really hurt. He knew Krystal wasn’t doing a good job acting as a good girlfriend she was. He knew that if something was up to Krystal, it was she was so afraid to tell him the truth.

“But, I’m going to leave it in the past…” Krystal’s face fell. “Even though I knew that it had some feelings for me, the best thing to do right now is to focus on the present. I had this sudden realization that future wouldn’t come even if I prayed every night for it to come.”

“I don’t get your point…” Sehun scratched his head.

“It’s for you to know that I wouldn’t leave your side ever again.” Krystal smiled meekly. She pecked Sehun’s cheek as it felt hot to Sehun. It was so much for him that he needed to touch and feel it within his fingertips.

“Do you think it would be the best?” Sehun began to recall of how much Kai desperately wanted to say his goodbyes to the people whom he cared about this past year. He would leave, Krystal. He would leave you.

“Neh… “She nodded, understanding the consequences of her actions. “I know that…maybe, the next year we’d be classmates, teamed up on school projects, sitting beside each other on field trips, but I would try to forget him little by little.”

Krystal…even that, you wouldn’t experience that with him anymore. Sehun felt gloomy all of a sudden. Would he tell her? Would he not? Yet, he decided that it was time for him to go.

“I’d be leaving already…”

“Thank you, Sehun.”

Sehun turned his back to her as Krystal watched his figure disappear on the starry night.

As she asked the butler to open up the gate, the lucky charm Kai’s noona gave to her fell from her bag. She was shocked that its chain was broken and firmly grabbed it from the road. “Why did it get broken?” Krystal then looked up at the stars and wished, I hope nothing would go so badly.

 

Meanwhile, Heechul and Geun Young were desperately trying to call for Kai and Taemin. They sure they were in trouble and that she would bring trouble upon arriving.

They were late to know that Minah was discharged a few days ago and to completely be healed, it was out of their jurisdictions. She was fetched by none other than Sulli’s parents who rushed into the hospital the moment they knew she was ready to go back home.

“This smells trouble, really…” It was morning on the other side of the globe. Geun Young felt the sun shining upon her as she clenched her phone. She was taking her time to stroll upon the garden at the back of the hospital. Heechul was beside her, trembling in fear.

“Why are we so alarmed? She just came back. A girl wouldn’t merely announce that she would get revenge…”

“I just don’t want him to meet up with Taemminie. He’s really guilty and all. And, for her to meet Kai so suddenly, Kai suffered so much because of her. He’d probably cry his eyes out and feel totally sorry for her.” Geun Young stiffened in thought.

“Let’s just inform them for now…” Heechul patted her back soothingly.

“I hope everything would be fine..” Geun Young mused.

 

Kai felt his phone beeping. He sifted through his duffel bag but a hand reached onto her.

“Kai…what do you feel upon seeing me?” Minah spoke; totally oblivious of how much Kai had gone through just because of her.

Kai faltered, observing her actions. “I’m glad…but can you leave? I have so many things to think of.”

“I have so many things to tell you…”

The night was heartfelt and Kai’s feelings were overwhelming him. The tears wouldn’t come, though. He must’ve emptied his eyes off his tears after all those buckets he had cried before. He didn’t know what to think of. She’s here and well. She’s going to be with him again. That was his dream.

That stupid tomb was nothing for him already. It was just an empty tomb.

It was his dreams and aspirations to finally see her again.

But, why did he feel so distant to her? Why did he feel that something was off? Why did her feel that he was unhappy about this?

Why did he see when he closed his eyes the image of Krystal leaving his side?

“I have so many things to talk you as well.” Kai gave in, his voice trembling.

“I know.” Minah held onto her hand. “I’m back, Kai. I’m finally back.” She hugged him and buried her face on his broad chest.

“Minah…” He ruffled through his hair soothingly.

“We would be together forever again, right?” Minah felt her heart skip a beat. “I wanted to tell you that I’m alive so much. But, with me not being able to contact you, I felt sorry.”

“I…I didn’t think that you are alive, too.” Kai faked a smile.

Minah let loose of her hug and Kai just let him go.

She lied down on his bed, wafting the air of Kai’s scent.

“This room felt so like you…” She was wearing a flowery dress. She took off her high-heels as she entered his dorm room. No one caught her and this made Kai get more frantic.

“How’d you get here?”

“Guess…” Minah taunted, shifting sides. “Of course…” She closed her eyes. “Jinri’s parents helped me. And, I’m not going to cause troubles any longer…”

“Good thing.” Kai didn’t know he was thinking of that subconsciously.

“I knew you’d say that…” The room felt Minah’s constant giggles. “I’d be staying here for a while for a vacation. So, I could meet your friends and the people whom you cared about. And then, let’s go to America already.”

“You knew that I planned to leave…” Kai observed the jumpy Minah.

“I heard from your father…” Minah sat up. “He’s well-informed of everything about you.”

“You know that so many things changed, right?”

“I’m well aware.”

“Then…” Kai gritted his teeth. “Why did you come back?”

“So, we could leave together and start our own lives. You’ve suffered because of me, right? Even not attending school and getting cooped up in your room.”

“Let’s not talk about that..” Kai darted off the door. “Leave right now.”

“Why?”

Suddenly, the room fell silent. The coldness crept in. Kai could see Minah’s anguish look.

“Do you think I’m dumb?” Minah’s tears were welling up. “Did you already get over me? Who did this to you?!”

“I wouldn’t be as dumb as to not get over already, Minah. I learned how to leave everything in the past and to focus on the present. The future wouldn’t come, I know of it. That is why I’m going to follow my other sister in America to start a new life again.” Kai was determined.

Minah sensed it. “And, do you think I would allow you?” She rose. “Don’t forget how much I’ve gone through alone because you didn’t help me.”

“You’re not well…” Kai firmly gripped the knob and twisted it again. “Leave now before I drag you..”

“Hmph.” Minah smirked. “I would be doing that without you even saying…”

 

When Minah left the room, Kai trailed his eyes off her. He saw that he was being escorted by a middle-aged couple. He foresaw that it was Sulli’s parents. They were being attentive of her. Maybe because, they were not there as well when their relatives committed suicide leaving their poor young girl alone.

“If only I have the power to change the past….” Kai gazed upon them from the window, touching the coldness of the glass.

“I’m sorry…. Minah.” He closed his eyes shut. On that night, he didn’t sleep.

 

Well, guys~ She's finally here.

Choi Minah's in town.

I'm so, so gonna be making this story more interesting.

Keep up with me guys, I know all of you would.

Teehee.