thirty-nine.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

Why do I feel strange?

I've been smiling completely all day long.

I don't know about this stifling feeling I have...

...in my heart.

“I’m sorry but…” Sulli leaned her head forward, alarming Oh Sehun who was after all absent-mindedly clenching the invitation on his grasp. “Why are you looking like that?”

Sehun’s face elated, thinking what he was truly doing. “Sulli-ah…” He mumbled quietly. He was alone with her in the room. They stayed up due to tennis practices again and he knew only Sulli and he would be at the classroom at this hour. He was just so out of tune.

“I’ve received one of those, too.” She winked, assuring Sehun that nothing bad is going to take place. ”Don’t you like him?” Sulli asked, pointing the him as none other than, Kim Jong In.

“It isn’t like I do hate him or like him. I just don’t like how Krystal’s having her efforts to go to waste.” Sehun pretended like he did not really hate him already. He grew to and that was too evident.

“Pfft.” Sulli dragged a chair next to his. “That’s what you call jealousy. But, of course, I know how it felt like.” Sulli tried to soothe Sehun on his obvious heartbreak.

“How could you? You’ve never experienced something like this.” Sehun arrogantly frowned at her.

“It’s not like I don’t know about it. I’ve really like him even before. And, it really did hurt how it felt when my own best friend claimed her relationship with him.”

“Try to get to the point.” Sehun glared at her, surprising the hell out of Sulli who flinched at the sight of it.

“I don’t know if I could support you into this or not. “ Sulli’s face dimmed. She watched the setting sun on its peak, drifting far away to the sight of nowhere.

“Why?” Sehun looked at her, worried. His face had this sign of death. It was already at the brink of collapsing. He was totally hopeless; never could he felt like this to such a girl around his age.

“I liked how Krystal was behaving right now, honestly speaking.” Sulli grimaced, her face totally so into her words. She honestly spoke it out from the mouth of a concerned friend.

“You like how she’s getting shunned by that person, over and over again?” Sehun emphasized how he looked at the things happening around Krystal. He acted like he knew everything about Krystal and Kai, as he acted like a spoiled and nosy brat right now.

“Krystal always felt love already.” Sulli reminisced the time when everything about Krystal was her inferiority over her sister, Jung Sooyeon. “Even though her parents prioritized over her sister, but that’s only what she thinks, she never lacked the love of parenthood. Instead, she got so much that she was able to transfer some of her light on me.”

“I couldn’t get where this leads to.” Sehun wanted to fall down on this moment, his world swirling around him.

“It’s now time for her to give love, for her to give concerns, for her to help a person. And, most of all, It’s now time for her to save Kai.” Sulli squeezed Sehun’s hand, like a friend who was always there in times of needs and troubles.

“What was with him that everyone could understand a bastard out of him?” He truly couldn’t get why everyone was lamenting over someone who couldn’t even return an ounce of favor from them.

“I know that if Kai could be given a chance, he could set himself free from the past. But, right now, he would not still be realizing it. Getting wrapped in your past, Krystal understands it. Maybe, that’s why even if the world would give up on him, she wouldn’t.”

“What do you want me to do?” Sehun bolted upright, standing up and alarming Sulli for the second time already.

“Try to observe the two of them. Even better, you should try to ask Krystal about what it was all along.”

“Sulli…you’ve truly grown.” Sehun slightly curved his lips. “It’s gonna get dark soon, let’s go.”

Both of them went their separate ways. Sehun was left thinking about the things Sulli had said. He couldn’t figure out what the past thing she was pinpointing about. But, most of all, he thought that Kai was a coward for living up to the past and shunning away the present with Krystal.

He was a coward for not realizing a girl who would look after him for the rest of his life.

 

Back to the busy old days, Krystal came in the classroom, feeling the atmosphere and taking her seat. She let out the invitation and giggled as she read it for the nth time already, not feeling the continuity and ambiguity of her actions. She sat straight and stared at the blackboard, imagining what it would like to be if Kai would introduce his family properly to her.

 It would even be better for Krystal to meddle with her parents’ business so she wouldn’t be an embarrassment to his future in-laws. It was too much to think about, yes. But, Krystal got succumbed by the thrill already.

“Oh…Sehun-ah, annyeong~” She sang.

She watched Sehun passed by her with a cold shoulder. Her face was still smiling, and her eyes couldn’t believe how she got ignored by him all of a sudden.

Sehun just went on his seat at the far end, not minding how Krystal would react on his actions.

Should I act like this? I don’t know but if I’m distressed, could I truly get an ounce of her sympathy? Sehun said, recalling his brother’s advice to him just the other night.

If this would be such a failure, he would smack his brother Luhan on his tummy. Sehun was expecting the groaning pain from his brother as he clenched his tummy for support.

“Sulli, Taemin-oppa~ Annyeonghaseyo, the two of you.” Krystal beamed, pretending that everything was fine.

“Oh..annyeong~” They both greeted her back in unison, both blushing at the instance.

They got to become more couple-like and suddenly, their eyes were always darting at each other. It was as if they were always aching to hit a conversation. Just by the sight of it, Krystal couldn’t digest it anymore and pretended like she was about to vomit.

“KRYSTAL!!!” Taelli angrily shouted.

Krystal giggled back at them, totally messing them up.

 The door slid open and there came Kai with his bed hairs. Krystal puffed her cheeks. “You couldn’t even groom yourself.” She commented, letting out a comb out of her bag.

“What are you going to do to me?” Kai defended himself, but it was futile.

Krystal gently smoothed out his bed hairs, smiling softly while doing it.

“Hey… I’ve been thinking, honestly, I really don’t know anything about you.” She carelessly blurted out.

“HUH?” Kai creased his forehead, doubting her gestures. “What are you talking about? Of course, we ALL should get to know each other as time would pass by.”

“Really?” She pulled a chair and sat next to him.

 Kai just let out his materials, not minding her stares. No, not minding is seriously not it. He was trying to make himself not to mind it.

Krystal gently looked at him, getting mesmerized as time passed by. He would obviously glance at her and wouldn’t mind her constant naggings. More and more, Kai got accustomed to these types of things. At least, Krystal would let him alive not like his fan girls who wouldn’t even think twice of devouring him.

But, as far as everyone was concerned, the girls’ faces grew red as they looked at Krystal. They were irritated, but they couldn’t do anything. They knew how powerful Krystal’s family was. She was the most powerful out of all the girls in there. Kim Yaera was only the second.

Krystal and Kai had shippers on their side, though. They would pair them up together to avoid things such as everyone getting out of control for them to have Kai as their own spouse or something.

The two didn’t mind. For others, they already had broken up. Maybe, they were just maintaining friendship for themselves.

As for Krystal’s point of view, she’s not giving up. No one knew how much she cared for Kai to move on to the past, and for him to see her.

Realizing that everything would be alright, Krystal would want to stay by his side. Even if, this would cause her a total mental breakdown if her feelings could get rejected and ignored again and again.

Sehun just watched the two having their time together, he completely wanted to ignore Krystal and that was his final plan. He wanted to test her, if she truly does love him for no reason at all, but simply devoted her heart to him. Or, if she herself had this lingering feeling of wanting to ‘just’ help him. Honestly, Sehun wanted to have the latter as the result. So, he could resolve himself of something at the end of the day.

 

During lunch break, Sehun wanted Krystal to treat him as what Krystal treated Kai. It was childish, but that was the only thing to do for him to know if his love could possibly come into fruition.

He went out with some of his tennis club friends, far away from Krystal and the others.

“Hey, why is he avoiding me?” Krystal nudged at Sulli. “And, the two of you, too?” She glared at her Taemin-oppa. He was pulling Sulli away from Krystal and the latter just wanted to follow her boyfriend.

“Krystal, mianhe. Maybe, next time I promised Lee Taemin to have a taste of my mother’s cooking.” She waved at her; they both disappeared from her sight.

And this leaves me to his sickly type of person. He’s always yawning. Aigoo. She face-palmed herself, looking at her only companion, Kim Jong In.

“Let’s go straight for the counter.” She nudged him forcibly, trying to keep him on her own pace.

“Why are they all avoiding us?” Kai prodded at her, wanting to get know-hows of the situation.

“I don’t know already. Let’s just eat for now.” She recommended as they searched for a table for the two of them to squeeze in.

They found at the far side of the hall. As the two squeezed on a table with many occupants, everyone bolted upright and gestured to leave.

“Wait…wait up, why are all of you---“

“Of course.” A girl winked; maybe she was totally a Kaistal shipper. She wouldn’t let this chance to slip for them to be left alone.

Kai sat opposite of Krystal. Krystal never had a chance to have this kind of feeling in a while. She never felt this kind of happiness even when she had Taemin by her side.

Her life was truly complete.

She could even pass out at the instance, but of course, she wouldn’t want to. She wanted to have herself the time of her life.

Kai didn’t mind her bizarre behaviors and tried to open up a new topic as he dug on his food.

“Didn’t you notice that Sehun is avoiding you?” His tone of voice was of a concerned pal.

“Yeah…but I couldn’t help it. I don’t know what’s running on his mind.” Krystal played with the seaweed soup, constantly stirring it unconsciously.

“Must’ve been testing your care for him as a friend…” He looked straight into her eyes.

 

Meanwhile, Sehun and his gang teamed up and went to Krystal and Kai’s table. It was the table least occupied but everyone got the idea to not join along. But, these people wanted to feel that Sehun’s in a pinch. There were four of them, five if they included Sehun. They squeezed themselves next to Kai on that long table. This left Sehun to sit beside Krystal.

Krystal smiled. “Sehun-ah~” She cutely said.

Sehun’s companions were mesmerized due to her cuteness. Her gestures and expressions really did stand out like any other. They promised that they were too thankful for Sehun to have her as a friend and to have him as theirs.

“Auh… I’m not avoiding you or anything.” Sehun made a straight face.

“You were obviously doing that.” Krystal frowned. “You know that I’m not the type to ignore my friends…” She pouted cutely.

“Ayyieeehh~” The sound of Sehun’s cheering friends echoed at the school canteen. Everyone cheered for the two.

“But…” Sehun looked at Krystal, and suddenly blushed. He looked at the ground, avoiding her gaze. He rapidly ate not minding how Krystal gazed upon him warmly. ! She’s so cute. He couldn’t express how his cheeks burned at that instant. “I’m so..sor..ry for avoiding you.”

“I thought that you’re angry at me over something.”

“I wouldn’t be angry at you.” Sehun found the answer. Krystal wouldn’t ignore him, of course. It was only for hours and he couldn’t contain it anymore.

“Then, is there anything that’s worrying you?” Krystal reached out for his forehead. “You’re not hot but you’re red.”

“Aish…you’re the reason---“

Suddenly, the people at the table heard Kai slum his tray. He got up forcefully and said, “I’m finish.” He had this emptiness on his eyes and he looked at all of them, not even blinking.

He tilted his head and turned his body away, trying to go to the washing area to put the tray away.

“What on earth is up with him?” Sehun mumbled.

“Well…really, I could understand him. It’s either he’s pissed off due to the peculiarity of the two of you’s display of affection or he’s damn jealous.”

The latter option made Krystal hopeful.

Is he jealous?

WAAHHH~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY D.O

Don't get jealous at Krystal, huh?

Lols. The feels~