.fifty-two.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

Everything would be enlightened

At the touch of our hands,

We would be connected.

 

After a week, Kai came back with enough courage to talk to everyone concerning the incident. Sehun watched him walk past through him onto his desk. Sehun looked troubled as Kai sat down, facing front.

Sehun blinked rapidly. He looked at Krystal on the other direction. It seemed that something was up to Krystal. She was not behaving the way she was a few days ago.

After the principal declared Kai’s suspension, he always followed Krystal’s pace. His heart always missed a beat not because of anything sweet on their part but because of how Krystal behaved. She was never the same until he appeared again.

Sulli and Taemin watched at them as they witnessed how complicated life became on them. It struck them of how much this year changed them like it had gone forever.

Krystal gulped nervously as she tried to stand up. Sulli held onto her but Krystal asked to let go.

“What’s the matter?” Sulli’s tone was of soothing one.

“I’m just going to the washroom.” Krystal excused herself.

Sehun followed her but Taemin stopped him on his tracks. Sehun looked behind him and nodded, noticing how Krystal should be left alone.

 

Even though Krystal knew a bit of Kai’s feelings for her, there remained a bitter taste on her taste buds. She was not being guilty of this love but she didn’t want Sehun who was there from the start to get hurt and feel like the world would side on Kai again.

She washed her face, looking at the plain mirror. She wanted to cry or sob but she looked indifferent even though her heart wanted to scream out and resolve all things about Sehun. She couldn’t because there was nothing she could do right now but to wait for a miracle to happen.

Sehun had been acting cranky. The way he looked straight at Krystal as he his thumb. He was not wrong, that unusual glint on her eyes wouldn’t be possible if Kai wouldn’t be around.

Krystal felt it, too. Sehun was acting differently. She noted it and thought of the reason again. How could she solve this if everything she had done for her to forget Kai was only for nothing?

They were meant to be together or so they thought.

Friday came sooner than unexpected as their homeroom teacher announced the end of that school year. They were rejoicing as if it was the end of the world. Sulli and Taemin smiled at each other as it meant that they could spend more time with each other. Taemin pinked as he daydreamed of how perfect it was to go to the beach.

Sulli also wanted to go to the beach and have the summer sun shine upon them. But, of course, her mother wouldn’t allow her. She needed Krystal to tag along.

“Krystal, can we go to the beach this Saturday next week?” She grinned.

Krystal knew where this was heading. “Of course, I’d want to…” She gave a lopsided smile. She glanced at Sehun who was about to dart off outside the classroom. “Do you want to come?”

“Eung. Count me in.” Sehun coldly turned his back on her.

“Did you get into a fight?” Kai’s voice looked worried. He saw the whole scene as if Sehun was abandoning Krystal.

“No, I think he just needs to cool off.” Krystal gulped nervously. She wiped off the beads of sweat forming on her forehead. “It sure is hot…” She chuckled.

“You, Kai? Do you want to tag along?” Sulli invited him.

He bit his lips. “When?”

Sulli raised an eyebrow. “Mnm? Why? Saturday, next week…” She held onto his arm. “Please do come!” She murmured.

“I’ll see. I’ll just call you. I have to renew my passport.”

“Passport?” Krystal thought that she misheard it.

“Pass..Hahahahaha. There was no one who is talking about a basketball pass.” Sulli gave another hearty chuckle. She heard of it and she knew Krystal would be devastated if she’d known.

“What? Basketball, are you talking about?” Luhan went inside of their room. “Now, our ace is back. But, it’s time for me to graduate. I’m just going to congratulate Taemin for a job well done.”

“Huh?” Everyone said in unison. They were surprised to see Luhan’s wide eyes twinkling as he shifted his gaze on them.

“I’m happy for you.” Sulli smiled and planted a kiss on his cheek.

“Sorry to miss all the fun.” Kai apologized, rubbing the back of his neck.

“It was nothing special.” Taemin assured. “I was just assisting them.”

“You should be able to go to fill my vacant spot.” Luhan tapped his shoulder. “You’d be as great as ever, I’m telling you.”

“Luhan-hyung…” His face fell. “But, I don’t think my parents would be happy about this. They don’t want me to engage to sports again.”

“Too bad, that is.” Luhan sighed. “Well, I just hope you could continue assisting the team after I left.”

Luhan bid farewell as he looked for Sehun. He was long gone and Luhan looked frustrated of how his younger brother ditched him.

“He’s really a dependable hyung.” Taemin quietly admired him.

“I’m glad you’re back playing soccer.” Sulli buried her face on his chest. “You looked pretty tired lately.” She pinched his cheeks.

“Just stress.” Taemin ruffled through Sulli’s hair.

 

Right after that, Krystal and Sulli went to the shopping district to buy new bathing suits. They looked flustered as they entered the shop. Krystal picked cute ones for Sulli as she just looked at some for herself. They enjoyed that short time as they went their separate ways.

“I’m sure oppa would like to see you in there…” Krystal teased Sulli.

“I don’t think so…” She got flustered deep pink as she waved goodbye to Krystal.

There was nothing wrong with choosing such type of garment but she was not used to it. She had never even once come to such beach resorts and stuffs before without her parents, of course. But, right now, she wanted to impress Taemin and the more, she wanted him to like her even more.

It seemed to her that this was the only chance and tried a fighting pose with her clenched fist. She roamed off to their empty house and saw to it that no one was there again. There seemed to be a quite a space but the house was just a vacant space for her. There was not even a family to occupy it.

Sulli solemnly found herself dialing Taemin’s number. She wished to hear him speak loud on her ears. It was really a benefit to be with him at this kind of times, at least, to hear his voice.

“Ah…Hello?” Taemin started to talk. Sulli gasped for breath.  Shocks. He talked. He talked. He totally talked. Choi Sulli!!!!! Her heart squealed and missed a beat. She was totally out of herself. “Sulli….is there any problem?”

“What problem?” Sulli asked. Were her silent whispers giving hints to him? She was troubled beyond doubt.

“Figures.” Taemin gave a hearty laughter. “If there’s anything I could do…” Taemin leaned at the back of the chair. He removed his eyeglasses as he tried to let down the book he was clenching. He purposefully smiled as he wished she was just right beside him.

For him, his life was complete when he met Sulli. And now, he was faking smiles. He was asking of what she’d be wearing making Sulli so wary to even talk about it. But, he was also really, really scared. What if boys would flock over her overly-cute girlfriend, huh? How could he even endure their stares laid upon her?

“Sulli…please be honest to me. If you have something to talk about…”

“Well, I just missed my family. They are so busy all the time that we rarely see each other.” Sulli fell silent.

Taemin could relate to her so deeply. “Yeah, good thing you RARELY see them. To me, my mom…I could never see her again, or so..I don’t know. I never once see her right after they annulled their marriage.”

“I’m sorry to hear that…” Sulli nodded knowingly.

Taemin shook his head. “No, no….” Taemin chuckled. “I’m used to it.”

“Ah…” Sulli wanted to hear more of him. He was opening up for goodness’ sake. “Why did your parents annulled their marriage? From what I’ve seen, all four of you create a good harmony for a family.”

“Family, huh?” Taemin’s eyes closed momentarily. “I’m the one to be blamed.”

“To be blamed…” Sulli repeated his words. “Tell me, what truly happened?”

“Not now, Sulli. Not now that I’ve been doing so many things. I’m grandfather wanted me to take up extra business/entrepreneurial lessons. Gives me a headache, really.”

“Is that so? Then, fighting!” Sulli assured, hanging up and bidding goodbye.”

Taemin looked closely at his phone. “I know…but, this involves you, too. I don’t want you to cry and feel hurt because of me. You’ve lost one family member because of me and I really, really wanted to express my apology. If only I had known before, I would be very, very careful.” Taemin sighed.

Sulli’s mind gave in. She closed her heavy eyelids from thinking as she fell asleep. She wished she could see him on his dreams.

She wished it was so. So that, she couldn’t feel any more pain and sufferings.

 

The next morning, Taemin met up with his grandfather, discussing about business again. Taemin yawned and stretched out his hands. He looked at the suit he was wearing and thought that it didn’t really suit him. He was escorted by his grandfather’s right hand man, Secretary Hong. He was led to a spacious room.

“Please wait for the… CEO to come.” The secretary turned him back on him. He left, shutting the door.

Taemin looked around and saw how successful his grandfather was. How perfect could it be if he could play with him like the old times? If only that didn’t happen, he knew everything would be resolved.

It was late for him to know. It was just recently that he wanted so much to spend time with Sulli. But, right now, he wanted to curse himself of all the mistakes he had committed. It cost him his family and the life of the person to actually be miserable.

His grandfather showed up, staring blankly at him.

Taemin wanted to talk to him right now. This was the best chance, and the only chance he had at hand.

“Grandfather…” He bowed low. “I’m…sorry. So, it was really my fault.”

His harabeoji creased his forehead. He smiled meekly. “So, you had known of it. I’ve been very adept in hiding the truth, don’t you think?”

“Before then, that I discovered that that company was planning to scam abeoji’s business. I got infuriated so much that…”

“You reported it to your mother.”

“Yeah, she did take actions. But, it resulted to…” Taemin’s eyes were watery.

His harabeoji continued. “This led to a huge scandal. The Choi parents committed suicide, leaving their first born into the care of the relatives. And now, she’s going to be back and take revenge on us.”

“I didn’t know that it would cost me my family. If only I hadn’t reported it to mom, but if only I reported it to Pops…”

“Sometimes, there just needs to be something that would trigger a resolution. They chose that for both of you, brothers. They felt guilty that at a tender age, Taemin…you’d have to take the blame and thought of how much sufferings you’ve caused to a poor girl. But, as parents, it was at their wits’ end. That..they needed to break up that family they so tenderly cared for, enough to fight their lives on the line.”

“I just wished for them to go back to being… married again.” Taemin paused.

“It’s too late now…Taemin. They had found their ways of living.”

“If only I could turn back time…”

“It caused a huge uproar. Everyone blamed your father to it. The only thing that your mother could do was to cause a scandal for herself to cover up that. It was for the media to turn their heads on her. She cried buckets of tears because of that. She blamed herself and even, on her knees, she bowed for forgiveness on them.” His harabeoji continued to reminisce his daughter’s hard time. It was enough to break her. “You’ve also suffered. You’ve quit soccer..gradually, because there was no one to watch you play the game any longer.”

“You knew why?”

“Of course.” He muttered. “Your mother wanted you to enjoy anything. But, she dealt with her problems, cooped up on that room of hers. She tried to make amends and to support your father from behind. “

“My mother tried to make a story of how she…she…cheated on my father. My father knew of it, but didn’t make any move. I loved them…and they loved each other. How could this be so complicated?” Taemin was at the brink of collapse.

“It’s alright. Take it easy. One day, when all of the things they needed to do were done, they’d be able to watch you play soccer again. That would be that day that you could regain back your inspirations to playing again. I heard that you’ve played.”

“I’ve found my inspiration again..” He smiled, thinking of Choi Jinri in his heart.

 

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Updated. Hahahahaha.

:)...Hello, everyone.

It's summer, summer, summer!!!