twenty-three.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

Time would come

That we could be enlightened by the truth of the past

So, let's live for now

Taking care of our present, of our future

“Unnie…who’s Choi Min Ah?” Krystal wanted to know the answer more right now.

“Why do you have Jong In’s cellphone?” Geun Young questioned her.

After a while of explanation, Geun Young had known the scenario and wanted to call back later.

“Please tell this to Jong In, it meant a lot to him.” Then, she hanged up. Krystal didn’t know what to do and was fidgeting while sitting on a chair, observing Kai.

“Who could this person be…?” She was very nervous and instinctively, she reached out for Kai’s hand and held it tightly. “Maybe… I would know until you wake up.” She tried to force a smile.

She was losing consciousness due to getting tired and worrying about him past hours ago.

“Oh..” She woke up on Kai’s bed. She circled her eyes, searching for Kai. “Where’s that?” She tried to bolt upright.

“You’re awake?” Kai took a shower. He was only wearing a bathrobe as he was drying his hair. “Haha. I’m really fast at recovering.”

“Hey!” Krystal tried to stand up but was forced to lie down by him.                              

“Thanks for taking care of me…now I wanted to take care of my girlfriend.

“Shut up! Hey, you should…rest.”

“Look at the windows, would you?” Krystal looked as he commanded. It was already night fall.

“Where’s Sulli?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “I dunno. Maybe, before eight, she’d be back.”

Krystal wanted to ask about Geun Young’s phone call. But, she was scared to know the truth. She tried to keep it as a secret to herself.

“Hey…” Krystal started to talk again. “Here, your phone.” She was holding it for hours subconsciously.

“How’d you get this?” He didn’t pay attention to it any longer.

“Can you change your clothes already?” She couldn’t digest the situation.

“Well, you’re here.” He blushed momentarily.

“Then, I’d go…downstairs. “ She said pointing down.

Krystal came out of the room as Kai remained there. Kai then looked at his phone. “Why is she holding this so tightly?” A few moments ago, he woke up, feeling alright. He saw Krystal struggling to be comfortable on the chair. He tried to carry her lightweight body to his bed and that was how he also worked on how he could let her to let go of his phone. But, it was of no use.

“Is she secretly looking at my inbox?” He crossed his arms. He then looked at the call register. “Why is Geun Young-noona calling me?” He tried to call her but it was of no use. Maybe, her phone was turned off. As he assumed that, he came downstairs.

There were people chattering downstairs. He hinted that Sulli already came back. And to no surprise, she really was. Kai tried to put his phone on his pocket. He would try to ask to Krystal what she said to Geun Young when he was sleeping.

He smiled as Sulli returned it with a pout. “Ah…these supplies,… why do I have to buy all of these?” She pointed to all of the numerous bags she laid on the dining table. “Coffee, creamer, spoons and forks….ahh..even tea bags. I needed to sharpen my cooking skills; you’re helping me, right Krystal?”

She just nodded out of sync. She tried to look at the things she bought.

“Hey…” Kai tried to put his hand on her shoulder.

“Wae?” Krystal looked bewildered as Kai tried to remove his hand.

“Let’s eat… I’m hungry.” Kai smirked as he said that to Sulli.

“Fine…I’d be cooking. Krystal, can’t you do this? My head’s been spinning.” She confessed.

“Yeah, I’d gladly do so. “She put on the apron and tried to cook what’s in store.

 

Sulli and Kai went to watch the television. It was fun to Sulli as she won’t be making the dinner for tonight. She wanted to take a nap but she noticed Kai playing at his phone.

“Hey…Sulli-yah, do you keep in touch with Geun Young-noona?”

“Nope…” She got interested as he raised a question. “Did she…?”

“No..no just asking.” He thought that this looked like an emergency.

“Hey, hey, food’s already here.” Krystal tried to wave at both of them.

“Coming~” They all said in unison.

 

Krystal happily served them with kimchi fried rice and chicken soup. She served Kai extra side dishes.

“What’s up?” Sulli looked at Krystal. “Krystal, why does it feel like you looked so nervous?”

“ME?” She tried to hide her face with both of her hands. “I’m just stressed out.” Krystal smirked and tried to sit down opposite of Sulli’s.

“Well…let’s eat for now.” Kai tried to eat fast.

“It’s good that you’re active now.” Sulli smiled as she look at the recovering Kai.

“Well…duh, I’ve been stuck with playing soccer…it must’ve been just pure fatigue.”

“Thank care of yourself.” Krystal raised her point.

“Oh…yeah, Krystal’s worried about you. She even hurried---“ Krystal stuffed with rice forcibly. Sulli pouted as she munched the food.

“You looked funny.” Kai commented to Krystal. She blushed as she tried to dig in. As he said it, he changed his face and looked down. He was thinking of so many thoughts that clouded up his mind.

“Hey, Kai…” Sulli tried to ease the atmosphere. “You said that you’re moving to the dorms?”

“Really? Why?” Krystal looked frantic as their eyes met.

“Well…” Kai was giving it a thought. “Of course…I’d be I don’t want people to get a bad impression on me living with you.” He looked then at Krystal intently.

“Why?” She tried to avoid meeting their eyes again.

“He’s just…” Sulli was teasing the two. “…scared that you might hate him.” She patted Kai’s back. “Right, Kai?”

“Stop it, Choi Jinri.” Kai carried his dishes to the sink. “I’m done. I’m feeling tired so I needed to sleep.” He excused himself.

 

After they finished eating, Sulli and Krystal are in charge of the plates. Well, they couldn’t force a person just recovering from a cold to wash the dishes for them.

“Krystal…you should you the guest room.”

“Yeah.” She nodded gratefully.

“Mnmm…” Sulli wanted to ask her desperately. “Did anything happen when I’m not…here?”

“I should be the one asking you that…” Krystal winked. “Did the two of you progress a lot?” She smirked a little.

“I…I don’t know what you are talking about.” Sulli tried to ignore her.

“Hmph.” She chuckled. “I know that you know what I am saying…”

“With Sehun around… I’m even shy trying to call him oppa.” Sulli blushed really red. “And, he had been thinking of a few things. He’s always calling someone. I couldn’t even have a decent conversation with him.” She said while rubbing the clean cloth in the dishes.

“Why is he..hitting on girls?”

“Definitely.” She nodded while looking down. “But, he was really serious when I caught him calling someone. He looked at me with his dark eyes.” She felt shivers running down her spines.

“Eiiii…” Krystal tried to deny it. “She must’ve been calling Hee---“

“WHO?”

Krystal stopped washing the dishes for a while. Then, she forced a smile and tried to continue. She then yawned forcedly and tried to ask Sulli if she could rest already.

“Awww…I wanted to pull an all-nighter, I needed to organize these.” She then looked at the supplies.

“Good night.”

 

At the guest room, Krystal tried to change her clothes. There were still thoughts in her mind, question that are needed to be answered. She clenched her teeth and kept on biting her thumb, she really felt agitated.

It was already 4:00 in the morning. She couldn’t sleep even a blink. She heard someone throwing stones. It was Kai, he waved at her. She looked confused but tried to go in the yard.

“Couldn’t sleep?” He figured it all out. “Why did Geun Young-noona discussed about with you?”

“It…it was nothing.” She avoided contacting with his eyes again. She might give in if she would look intently at those smiles.

“Just say it..” He in return was also looking for answers. “I know something’s up.”

“Well… she said that… Choi Mina was alive.”

“Pweeh.” Kai smirked. “So, you’re bothered by it? I’ve already called Geun Young-noona, no precisely, I had chatted her. And, that’s how I saw it. She’s really alive. But, I’m so confused.” He let out a deep sigh.

“Why is it?” Krystal fidgeted as she tried to take a seat next to him.

“Well…for all I know up to now, she was already dead. “ He smirked again. “But now, there was this news that she was still alive after all those commotions that happened.”

“Tell me.” Krystal held onto Kai’s shirt. “What happened between all of you? Who is she?”

“I don’t know why but I’m comfortable to say it to you.”

She looked relieved. “Thanks for trusting me.”

Kai tried to tell her the story.

It was just like how Taemin knew all about it from the investigator. That was how it was supposed to be.

“But, now the next time I would visit her grave… I would want someone to dug it for me. To know, if her remains do reside there still.”

“So, she commited suicide.”

“Yeah…” Kai paused for a moment. “I promised to her that I’d be happy with her cousin…so she should be rest-assured.” He tried to hide his face with the hoodie.

“Jong In-ah?”

“NOW..I’ve felt like a fool. I never thought that she could still be alive with all that desperate time…”

“How did you know that she died?” More and more, Krystal looked more astonished.

“From my parents… So, they’re faking it all along.” There were tears streaming down his face.

For Krystal, it was the first time she felt like she wanted to release him from the cage of the past trapping him. She was just not ready yet also, she was too scared that her love couldn’t conquer or trespass his love for Choi Min Ah. She could never, ever surpass it.

“It’s alright, take it easy.” She leaned her head on his shoulders. “Time would come that you would be enlightened. “ She assured to him.

For now, that is all...

Aish, a happy morning to all of you.

This is a sweet treat.

So, yeah, everything looked smooth sailing.

But, now there's this really big problem.

Hoping that this would satisfy you guys~

Thanks again. Please do read well. Kamsahamnida.