twelve.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

I would change for you

I would make you fall in love with me

I'll mend my broken heart

I'll try to get closer to you

 

Krystal’s POV

At this time of year, just a week or two had passed and another weird guy joined our class. He’s Kim Jong In. Many adored him and even a couple of girls confessed to him. But, he didn’t mind it. He kind of deserted himself from anyone in our class. The only girl he could freely speak with was none other than, Choi Jinri.

I often see Kai side glancing at her directions. A smile would often be drawn from his handsome face as their gaze locked each other. I just couldn’t get how he is still very popular in our class.

First of all, he’s pretty weird. During lunch breaks, he would go buying only bread and just an energy drink or a plain bottle of water. He would find the farthest seat in the cafeteria to avoid everyone. He always carries his backpack as it is loaded with junk foods and sometimes, fruits. I could often hear him grieving over if he sees that he’s already out of food. What a glutton.

Second, he is a pretty good soccer player. I often see him practicing alone by the clear windows of the Home Economics Club Room. He’s sporty and sturdy but he doesn’t want to join the soccer team. He’s pretty much on par with Taeminnie-oppa but he just doesn’t want to show it.

Third and last is, I am always with Sulli and we enjoy each other’s company even through all that happened for the past few weeks. We hang out and we do spend a lot of time of having fun.

It was on that bright sunny day, Kim Jong In, I’ll call him Kai because he prefers it, stepped out of nowhere and leaded us to a corner at the back of a school building. He shyly turned his back at us and I saw how he murmured a short prayer at that allotted time. He tilted his head and I saw how he was shaking and getting red all of a sudden.

“I… I like you, Sulli-ah. Please…please go..go out with me.” He bowed really low and wouldn’t lift his chin up. He must be waiting for my friend’s reply. But, Sulli was also astonished more than I—a bystander. I couldn’t believe the innocence I saw on his eyes as he craved for the answer.

“I’m sorry… I don’t know what you are doing.” Sulli patted his back. “There are tons of girls who like you. Don’t get too disheartened.” She laughed it off. “Oh…sorry, I’d be off then. Unnies in our club get pretty hyped up over someone who’s going to be late. “Oh…Kai!” She called out. “Fighting.” Giving Kai the reason to have such a sullen face right now.

“Hey…hey…” He sat on a corner and the atmosphere around him got pretty tensed up. “You know what?”

“What?” He suddenly spoke. I was pretty surprised.

“She didn’t reject you because she doesn’t know your feelings. It’s just that she already has someone she’s also aiming for.” Even if it’s pretty obvious, I should let Kai know. Maybe, because I was also rejected, I could give him a piece of advice.

“Then, I won’t really be disheartened by this. I would keep on aiming for her until she could say yes for an answer to me.” Kai stood up, wiping off the tears about to fall.

“You’re pretty strong. I hope that I could be like you.” I was wrong. I was the one who was disheartened by the recent break up.

“Hey..stand up.” He said to me with a smile. He reached for my hand and I held his.

“Thank you.” He was kind of shaken by my smile. What’s with him? He’s pretty determined much not like me.

“I would make her fall for me. I’d make her remember the promise the two of us had when we’re kids.”

“What’s with that promise?” He lightly distanced himself away from me.

“It’s a secret. You are not someone whom I trust to keep this secret.”

“Pfft.” I chuckled loudly. “You really are weird.” It was the first time I saw a guy like this.

“Hey…hey… a girl like you should laugh like that.” Kai tilted his head. “Did you see Sulli right now? She’s been receiving private lessons from an Oppa she knows. She’s been constantly tired acting like an heiress.”

“Support him.” I also wanted Sulli to be like that. But, it seemed quite not her. I really respect this man’s intuitions.

“I would make her come back to the way she was originally.” Before I knew it, he ran back to the soccer field and practiced some of the tricks I could only admire.

I was just watching him and saw many girls gawking and drooling all over him. He was really a masterpiece with that strong charisma of his.

“Aish.” He came to me, sweating all over. I handed him a towel. He felt grateful as he snatched it away. “Th..thanks.”

“Haha. Mr. Popular knows how to say it.” I was probably being hard on him.

“Tsk. All these girls! I really hated them. How could I make them stop on chasing me?” Suddenly, his serious face made me come up with a foolish idea, something very foolish that I would bend down my pride on the line.

“I have thought of something. Do you want to hear me out?”

He nodded. I whispered to him some words.

Just like a jinx, he jumped up with disbelief. He didn’t want to do it.

“Then…if they won’t stop you, how could you make Sulli fall for you? They won’t stop. They would only be a hindrance. It was much like a similar case to Taemin-oppa that forced him to go to a hateful all-boys school where only money could be the only key to happiness.”

“But, didn’t that Taemin you’re saying here?”

“He was forced to , because he wanted to protect me.”

“Why would he protect you?”

“Because, I am always alone.”

“But, don’t you have.”

“Even if I have her, I sometimes felt so lonely because of my sister that I used to despise. He…just like me right now, proposed to have a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship to ease our broken hearts.” I said to him truthfully, even if he was a bit shocked. He grinned at me.

“Fine, then. If you’d be so willing to help me out, then I’d accept it. This would also be a way to train myself to how to be a perfect boyfriend.”

“Haha. You really got into it.” Do I really have the guts about this again? I’m feeling that a storm surge is coming right in front of me.


Nobody's POV

It was a nice, bright Saturday. Krystal peeped through the glass window and saw the vast lawn laid on a piece of land on their garden.

“Wahhh…” She said as she took her first sight on the breathtaking soccer field. “This is great.” She heaved another sigh.

There were knocks at the door. She opened it and saw the butler huffing and puffing, “Young Lady, the soccer field looks like the real deal.”

“Thanks for everything, ahjusshi.” She thanked the old man as she put on a long white coat and tried to eat breakfast downstairs.

Krystal was just playing with her food and spacing out. It was just yesterday that she offered Taemin and the others a soccer game to be played in their house.

Krystal reminiscing what happened just yesterday

As she heard the loud cheers from the boys in her class, she also excitedly prepared for this day. She wanted to spend time with them to not feel the huge gap between the girls and the boys in the class.

She even remembered Kai’s expression at that time. It was very child-like but he also felt grateful for the offer.

“Gumawo.” He secretly whispered on her ears. She felt the tickles as she let out a wide grin.

“Don’t worry. It’s just a piece of cake.” She winked as Kai backed off and returned to his seat on the far end of the classroom.

Choi Jinri looked so flustered at the sight of the boys’ loud screams and cheers.

“Krystal, you really did it.”

“Yeah…” Krystal then noticed something changing to Sulli. “Hey, Sulli-ah, where’s your boyish side gone to?”

“What?” She looked pretty reserved right now as she quietly watched the boys. “I’m always like this.”

“Do not pretend. You really wanted to show this side to him, right?”

“No…no…”

“You are getting red, you know? Haha. But, you don’t have to. Just show you real side and everything would go accordingly.”

“It’s not just so easy.” She shifted into a sullen state as she leaned on her seat and lifted her chin up. She closed her eyes momentarily, “I also don’t want to this but I got to do this. So…”

“Hey, cheer up! Tomorrow, kay?” Krystal turned around and also returned to her seat. She looked at her changing friend and looked so worried. She rummaged for her cellphone in her bag and texted Heechul.

Conversation:

Krystal: Oppa! What did you do to my friend?

Heechul: What? I don’t know what you’re saying.

Krystal: Oppa! BRING HER BACK TO NORMAL! I don’t like her to be like this. She’s so plain and out of character already.

Heechul: But, she’s happy.

Krystal: I’m worried!

Heechul: It’s for her. She’s turning into a princess material.

Krystal: Oppa, I don’t want her to be like ME.

Heechul: It’s still her decision.

Krystal was going to reply back but she heard their teacher coughed and started the discussion. She really wanted to help her friend now as she looked at Kai and Taemin. “Now, I’m going to change her back.”

End of Flashbacks

 

 

One by one, like small ants, the men and women from their class crowded at the front gate of the Jung Mansion. Anxious faces were seen as they were so overwhelmed with the vastness and magnanimousness of Krystal’s house.

“We really have a classmate like that?” All of them looked at each other.

“We’re lucky.” One whispered to her friend.

“She’s so rich…” A girl was already freaked out.

While still having their own chitchats, the gate opened automatically and someone greeted them. The sturdy butler bowed to them, “Welcome to Jung Residence. Please feel free to feel at home.”

Everyone hesitated to take the first step. “Pfft. Why are they so shaken with this?” Kai leaded all of them inside. The others followed their leader like soldiers, frozen and confused. They looked at the ‘garden’. It was filled with a fragrant smell of many flowers. Many butterflies were fluttering everywhere. One landed to Sulli’s shoulder.

“Oh.” Taemin was the first one to notice. “Waah…I think it like you.”

“No way.” Sulli tried to shove it away.

“Hey..easy there. Butterflies could only want to land on pretty…” He cut off his own words due to embarrassment.

“Pretty what?” Sulli was so innocent in front of him.

“Let’s just go. Oh, where’s your friend? That Kai guy?”

“Ah…he’s there. “ Sulli pointed Kai to Taemin. He was happily smiling beside Krystal.

Everyone had their awed eyes. They again murmured around with the campus couple.

“Hey…are they seriously dating?” A guy hanged his arm around Taemin.

“Yah! Junsu-ah! Sorry to say but someone already took his first step to Krystal.”

The guy released his friend who was already suffocated. He felt demised.  “Aish…that Kai guy. He’s very popular to girls and even had Krystal…”

Sulli and Taemin just laughed while looking at each other. They knew that it was just a conspiracy between the two.

“Guys! Let’s go to the soccer field.” Krystal waved at all of them.

Sitting at the grass, Krystal and Sulli photographed every scene. Taemin, Kai and all of the other boys were so happy freely kicking the ball and trying to goal.

Sulli held her polaroid camera. “Ah…they’re so happy. Our school doesn’t promote much sports. Haha.”

“Yeah. It promotes business, politics and other boring stuffs. I wished I could transfer.”

“Don’t be like that.” Sulli now searched for a picture on her backpack. “Here.”

“What’s this?”

“It’s the night sky. I’ve really wanted you to see that.” Sulli was really shy as Krystal examined it.

“It’s nicely captured. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” Sulli gleefully grinned.

Krystal was just keeping silent. But, she wanted to ask what was happening to her friend. She was not much that boyish and airhead anymore. She’s being polished more and more. Even more now, she became so lady-like. Krystal didn’t want her friend to pose as someone she was not originally.

“What have you been up to? “ She finally let out the words she couldn’t speak.

“What do you mean?” Sulli tried to hesitate at her reply. “You mean the me right now, right? All of you are so worried.”

“Yeah…” Krystal let out a sigh. “I think you’re going overboard. Heechul-oppa just wanted you to be…”

“I’ve finally known what Kai and Geun Young-unnie---“ Her words were cut off by Krystal.

“Geun Young?” Her eyes widened and it felt so blank to Sulli.

“Yeah, Han Geun Young-unnie…”

“I…I thought she’s already…” Suddenly, out of nowhere, Taemin barged in front of them. He dropped the soccer ball he was gripping tightly.

“What are you two talking about?” His eyes widened as he sweated a lot all over his body.

“Han Geun Young? “

“Tae…Taeminnie-oppa, don’t panic.” Krystal tried to calm the panicking Taemin.

“No…no… Jessica-noona told me that she couldn’t come back. Noona already said to me that she’s really dead. She even showed me her grave… No…no…”

“What’s happening to you?” Kai also joined the other three. “Geun Young-noona survived. If she was the same noona whom you two pertain, she survived. She’s now recovered.”

“No…no… I saw her… die…” Taemin cried and cried as he crouched on the grassy lawn. “She’s already dead.”

“What’s… what’s going on?” Both Kai and Sulli were out of the picture.