twenty-four.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

Let's forget about the gloomy cold days

Let's try to face the future with open arms

Don't get too worked up about problems

Have faith in the future

“What’re you two doing here?” Sulli with still her pajamas on greeted the two fellas having a lovey-dovey moment in the yard. She was blinking, trying to suppress her sleepy eyes. She was having a cup of hot chocolate.

“Ah..” Krystal was surprised as she tried to stand up, calming herself.

“Hey, you’re up early?” Kai tried to stand up, venturing to the door of the house.

“What early? It’s already six. You two? Are you two dating?” Sulli looked at the two of them.

Kai tried to go to the inside of the house as Krystal followed him. “What’s up? Did I become a hindrance to them? Aish.” She sipped the hot chocolate. “Bleeh. Why is this so bitter?”

 

“Jong In-ah, wait up!” Krystal was holding her breathe.

“What do you want to eat?” Kai was acting like nothing happened. He tried to look at the refrigerator. “Why is this only filled with lots and lots of ingredients?” He tried to close the door.

“Mnmmm…” Krystal wanted to talk more.

“It’s alright.” Kai let out a box of fresh milk. He looked for a glass and poured the milk. “I’d say everything to you at the right time. And, please don’t say anything about it to Sulli.”

“Hey, she’s also involved.” Krystal was nagging at him. He then served the glass to her. She drank it in one go.

“But, Taemin said to not involve her. It looks like he’s really worried.” Kai threw the box in the trash bin.

“So…he also knew? I felt like I’m an outsider.”

“Of course, he’s always suspicious of me.” Kai tried to open the curtains to reveal a sunny day. “And…don’t worry, you’re my girlfriend so… of course, you’re involved.” He rubbed the back of his neck, feeling shy about what he said.

“Thank you.” Krystal tried to come closer, leaning, she kissed his left cheek.

“What did you just do?” Kai was touching his cheek. He was really red.

“Oh! Sulli-yah!” Krystal tried to divert her attention to Sulli. “Jong In said that he would be making breakfast.”

“Hey…I never said that!” Kai looked as problematic as he looked at the kitchen. “Well…for now, maybe just maybe, I needed to pretend that everything is in check. Might as well, get along.”

 

Kai as Krystal announced cooked for them. It was not his first time cooking, so he looked alright doing it. Krystal and Sulli were glancing at him, peeking as if he was doing something suspicious.

“Eomma…” Sulli giggled. “Is it done yet?”

“Eomma….I wanna eat~” Krystal chuckled as well.

“YAH!” Kai was holding the knife as he tried to get angry at both of them.

“Kyaaahhhh!!!” The girls were shooed away.

“Aish, those girls…” Kai smirked secretly.

 

After an hour, the girls looked so desperate looking for food already. They looked at each other, as they neared the kitchen.

“Are we having a feast?” Sulli pulled a chair.

“Yeah…” Kai looked at both of them, confidently, with his arms crossed.

“Do you think that you cook so well?” Krystal giggled as Kai tried to smirk.

“Come and try them.” He pointed out to the dishes lined perfectly at the top of the table. He let Krystal take the first sip of the seaweed soup.

“Hey…it’s not really that grand but it’s good.” Krystal looked at Sulli.

Sulli tried to have a spoonful of rice. “The rice is cooked perfectly well. It’s good. Hey, you’ve always been a glut—“

“Yah!” Kai tried to shut . “Let’s just eat.”

“Hey…hey…” Sulli thought of something again. “You’re trying to impress Krystal, right? Want to be the cook---“

From then, Krystal tried to cut her off. She pulled her close and tried to shut by putting her hand, pressing it on .

What’s with these two? How could they progress so well? Sulli thought then looked at the two people trying to make quiet glances on each other.

Krystal quietly helped herself on the food. She tried to make funny conversations with the two. Finally, Kai tried to break the silence.

“Yah, Jinri-yah, I’d be moving to the dorms this afternoon.”

“Hmph.” Sulli tried to contain her thoughts. “So, you’re leaving already?” She looked disappointed.

“Hey, hey…don’t make that kind of face.” Kai tried to make her smile.” You even have a grain of rice on your cheek.” He tried to remove it as he leaned forward.

“Why does it have to be today?” Sulli looked depressed. “Then, I’d be alone for tomorrow…ahhh, it would always feel like that.”

“Why? I think…you’re already…mnm, accustomed to it.” Krystal locked her eyes on Sulli. She looked at her once more and saw emptiness in her eyes.

“But…I’ve always been alone. It had been three months already.” Sulli was really having a hard time.

“I know..I know but a guy and a girl shouldn’t live together.” Kai tried to assure her.

“Fine.” Jinri stood up as she lost her appetite. “Aish, then I’d help you in packing.”

 

Jinri went upstairs. She hugged her pillow, alone in her room. She curled herself in her bed and tried to reminisce the times that Kai and she would always make fun of each other. She now even missed Geun Young more. It was the first time that she met a friend. A close friend from the past, she wanted to talk more about it.

She now remembered like a flash of light. That time when Min Ah was having fun with him in the beach as she tagged along with them. It was her first time having fun. She’s also always alone and never got to have so many friends.

The girls hated her. Why? Because, she was popular with the boys. She even remembered her first day in the high school. None of the girls talked to her. She was talking with the guys; she even met few competitors from middle school.

That is why she always tried to make friends with them. Sehun, as she knew about it, had reasons to get close to her. She felt it for the first time as she saw both Krystal and Sehun having fun during class hours.

“I’d lose a friend again.” She pouted as there were knocks coming from the other side of the door.

It was Krystal. She got worried due to her friend walking out of the dining area.

“Having an alone time with your pillow again?” Krystal smirked. “I thought that you’re the cute and funny Choi Jinri whom boys would fall crazily in love with.”

“Stop with the joking, Krystal.” She tried to battle with her words. “You’ve always been surrounded with girls.”

“Girls who wanted fame coming from me. No one really liked me. I only have you as a friend.” Krystal tried to sit on her bed.

“But…this place would be as lonely as ever again.” Jinri looked at the vacant space in her room. “I’m like a princess trapped in a tower.”

“It’s because you’ve always waiting for your father…” Krystal tried to pat her head. “He’s always with my parents. Hmm, let’s just get over this.”

“Stop convincing me, Krystal.” She locked her eyes on her. “You’re not helping.”

“Sorry for that then.” Krystal tried to lie down. “Let’s just ask Taemin-oppa to go here casually. It isn’t like he wouldn’t want to.”

“Yah!” Sulli tried to get up. “What the heck?”

“Haha. You looked flustered. I was just kidding.” Krystal tried to play with her phone. “Oops, I accidentally sent it. Huh? A quick reply?” She checked on her phone as Sulli got more and more agitated.

“Oh!” Krystal looked surprised, her eyes getting wide. “Oppa is… coming. Ah…he also wanted to talk to Kai. But, hopes it wasn’t anything serious.” She tried to put her phone down.

“What’s with that look on your face?”

“Taemin-oppa…he’s coming for you.” Krystal tried to tickle her friend. “And, let’s check out Kai’s room at the dorms.”

“Hey…it’s for boys only.”

“Aish, I’ll get a pass.” She winked as she gestured to leave with Sulli.