eleven.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

Drop by drop, they are falling against my chest
Though I cry and I cry, the memories won't erase
And again today, I drench my empty heart
We used to like each other- you laughed at my smile

 

Soundtrack: Super Junior-  A Day

 

 

Sulli’s POV

It is a nice and bright sunny day. I sneered as I peeked through the beautiful morning, while still lying down on my bed.  It is a very peaceful day; at last I had to have this day after all what happened yesterday. This is the day that Jessica-unnie would introduce her boyfriend and the day to bid her farewell.

Ah… I stretched out my arms. I closed my eyes. As I opened it, there stood a fine young man. He gawked upon me like trying to scan my whole being. His smile was striking but very spine-chilling.

“Ei…so, that’s how you sleep.” He said to me. He’s really kind of weird.

“Yeah, what is it?” I replied to him as I rubbed off my sleepy eyes. I stood up and held the knob of the door. “Now, get out. I’d be changing my clothes.”

“Tsk. You’re no fun at all. Let me stay here for a while.” I frowned at him saying that. I looked at him deeply and locked my gaze on him until he got the idea.

“Fine…fine… Oh, by the way, Noona prepared the breakfast. Oh, it’s good. So, you better hurry up.” He grinned widely as he turned his back. He waved like he was really thrilled.

“Tsk. Why’s he up so early? Aigoo… He even woke me up.” I closed the door.

I thought that I could have a ‘peaceful life’ back. But, I was wrong. I got too confident. Who do you think that guy is? He suddenly barged into my household saying that he and I were childhood friends. It was too funny to believe. But, as I see him now, I think he was pretty honest about it.

Oh, by the way, he’s name is Kim Jong In. Well, I prefer to call him Kai. It looked cool and good to hear. So, he’s very casual to me. He called me Jinri. I don’t mind that but what could I even say? I would only allow my closest friends to call me that.

I hurriedly looked for clothes that are preferable to this occasion. It was after all Unnie’s last day in here. I looked at the closet and rummaged after pretty or cute clothes. Oh, whichever is it? Now, find the best attire.

“Sulli-ah!” It was a voice of a female. She’s Han Geun Young. She’s about the age of Jessica-unnie and I think she’s nice.

“Yeah…” I hastily went down to the first floor. “Mnmmm…” I wafted through the room. It really smelled good.

“Hey!” Kai called out for me. I sat near him opposite of Geun Young-unnie.

“Here.” She served me with fried rice, bacon and Caesar salad. “Oh…it’s good.” I munched a spoonful of each. “Ah…it’s really nice that you are here, Geun Young-unnie.

“You don’t have to be so formal about me.” She said waiting for Kai to take a bite. “Hey!” She bellowed at him. He was kind of surprised.

“You…don’t need to shout.” Even if he was roughly looking, I could sense that he has a good heart. He got flustered a little bit as I gazed upon him. Did it surprise him?

“So…where would you go dress up like that?” She tried to be curious about where I’d be going.

“Oh…this. Well, my friend’s sister, Jessica-unnie would be returning abroad. She’d been really close to me since last year. But, she got into a popular university in New York so we didn’t have any contact up until now. But, I’m really happy that she and Krystal, my friend already repaired their bond.

“Really?” The atmosphere got tensed up. Unnie’s expression kind of got gloomy and also Kai too.

He looked serious now. “I wanted to meet your friends here. Can I come?”

“What?” I got surprised that he wanted to. I thought that he’s very lazy and wanted to stay out of my life.

“Can I or not?” He pouted a little bit. He looked regretful.

“Fine.” I just nodded. “But, change your clothes. I’d be going after 30 minutes. So, hurry up.” I tried to look at my clock to check the time.

He suddenly dug up faster. Really, a boy. Haha. I chuckled a little bit.

“You got rice on your cheek.” I tried to wipe it off. He paused a little and suddenly got to be as red as tomato. That guy was really embarrassed.

“I will change now.” After a few more minutes, he changed. He’s really prepared. I could compliment that any clothes he chose would fit him. It’s just that he’s naturally good-looking.

“Wait, I wanted to know. Umma didn’t introduce me to the two of you. But, as soon as I got another call from her, I won’t be satisfied. Who knows what the two of you are up to? What if the two of you are scheming something?” Did I just say that? Oh. What if their impression of me changed into something bad.

“We came from Busan…” Kai started it. “We kind of became very influential there since we moved there from Seoul about four years ago. I used to live here with my doctor parents who started a living in the fields of medicine. The noona here…” He pointed to Geun Young-unnie. “She’s my cousin and a survivor of leukemia. Now, she’s recovered.” He laughed a little bit.

“Ah…then, you’re a countryside boy.” I chuckled.

“I said I used to live here. I’m from Seoul. Well, I think you’re really forgetting the fact that we used to play with each other, bond with each other, hang out with each other and be childhood friends with each other.”

“Did I really…” I don’t want to ask because I think he got pissed off already.

I heard loud beeps of a car. “They are here already? Let’s go Kai.” I dragged him with me.

It was Lee Taemin and his brother, Kim Heechul. I paused momentarily due to dread. Do I look good right now?

I was really nervous. I didn’t notice that Kai tried to put his arms on my shoulder to ease my edginess.

END OF POV

NOBODY’S POV

“Who’s that man with her?” Heechul tried to ease Taemin. But, Taemin do not have the appetite for his mockings. “Hey…what happened to you?” He tapped Taemin who was standing with him, eyes on the ground and really strange.

“I… I’d go back to the car. “He said trying to enter the car.                                                       

“Oppa…” Sulli came to greet Heechul, still holding Kai’s hand. “By the way, this is my friend, Kai. “

“Friend?” Kai was taken aback by her words. “Jinri-ah, you finally remembered me?”

“No…” She kicked his knee as he growled in pain to the ground. She smirked to Kim Heechul and said, “He visited me along with his sister…er.. I mean cousin.”

“Oh…really?” Heechul helped Kai to get up. “You really resembled my brother.” Heechul grinned widely as he shook hands with him.

“Have I seen you before?” Kai tried to recollect his thoughts to where he saw Heechul. But, he was again grabbed by his wrist and was thrown at the insides of the car. “Hey…watch it.”

Kai looked upon the scary face of Sulli. “Jinri-ah, why do you have to be in a hurry?”

“What do you think?” She jerked him on the window side as she squeezed herself.

“Watch it, you two. Someone’s sleeping.” They peered through the sleeping Lee Taemin’s face. He had wrinkles all over and eye bags beneath his eyes. His face was kind of swollen and he had bandages wrapped around his right hand. Sulli couldn’t avoid seeing those as she asked about it.

Heechul just gave it a rest. “I don’t know about it.” He didn’t want Sulli to get involved with any other issues. He knew what troubles could begot all of them. Instead, he got curious to who this fella, sitting beside Sulli is, he looked at the side mirror of the car. “Hey, young man, you really looked so attach to Sulli.”

“No…not really like that.” Kai shrugged it off and looked at Sulli. “It’s just that we are really attached with each other.”

“I really couldn’t remember you.” Sulli smacked him again, now on his head. Kai scowled in pain.

“Hey….stop you two. We’re here already.”

They didn’t notice the ticking time as they got off and arrived at the destination. It was already in the airport. The air got pretty tense up as they Jung Krystal in the entrance. She got the same face but different feel to it. Everyone even Kai could notice the atmosphere if Taemin and Krystal locked their eyes with each other.

“Let’s go.” Kai noticed the trembling hands of Sulli as he held her right hand. “You don’t have to show a face like that to me.” He beamed a little as he ushered the still frozen Sulli to the airport.

“Who’s that with you?” Jessica could only be curious about a new face.

Kai who could not even have a break introducing him had to undergo it again. “I’m Kim Jong In. You could call me Kai.”

“Really?” Jessica chuckled a little bit. “I’m sorry for being so curious about everything.” She shook her head in embarrassment.

“No…it’s not really a big deal.” Kai tried to grip Sulli’s hand even tighter. He whispered to her ears, quietly so no one could hear them. “What happened to you? Why are you so stoned?”

“No…nothing.” She jostled his hand away and tried to walk even faster.

“Hey, where are you going?” All of them looked at Sulli.

Meanwhile, the atmosphere between the two lowered down a bit, by now it was just pure awkwardness. The distance that they put on each other felt like barriers to protect and to warp themselves into. They stole side glances but they just couldn’t afford to confront each other. They had just broken up with each other so suspicions built up between those who could see them.

The naïve Choi Jinri went to look up on Taemin’s sullen face. He was kind of alarmed as he was flustered by the childish person in front of him. “Yah! What did really happen to you?” Sulli touched his face and it was very cold. “Brrrr…Just like your personality, ahaha.” She chuckled a little bit and hauled him over with her pace.

Krystal just frowned looking at the two of them. She held her sister’s dress, pulled it and whispered, “Is she just naïve or just in love?” Her sister gave her a wink.

“Now, just help your best friend.” She tapped Krystal’s                                                                                                

"You're really leaving me..." Krystal felt so dumbfounded. She clang into her sister’s dress and said, “I’m really sorry for everything. I have not found out that you’re the only one who could help me.

“Kamsahamnida…” She said to the other party in the counter. “Oh…why are you like that?”

“Would it really be good if I die my hair and change my hairstyle? Would people like me if they saw me like that? Do I need to go on gymnastic lessons just to be lively and sporty?”

 “You don’t have to if you just wanted to be just like Sulli. Look at them.” She pointed at the other people. She wrapped her arms around Krystal. “You have to believe to the other person who would come in his white horse.

“Should I really believe?”

   After an hour or two

 

“Ah…she really left with her boyfriend. Come, boys and girls, let’s go eat.” Heechul touched his grumbling tummy. “My stomach’s growling already.” He walked hopping crazily like an idiot. He was followed by the other four around.

“Where are we going?” Taemin started to talk to stop the awkwardness. He looked from left to right and saw Krystal ignoring her presence. He didn’t speak with her but he felt disgusted about himself. “Krystal…”

Krystal heard it and paused momentarily. She waited for another call to tilt her head around the origin of the voice.

“Krystal!” He shouted. Everyone looked at his direction.

Kai saw him. He looked at him and laughed it off like a lunatic. “If a girl hates you, don’t call her name so carefree.”

“Hmpph.” Sulli pouted at him saying that. “That also applies to you.” She pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Hey, stop.” He touched it and it was kind of red.

“Don’t meddle with them.” Sulli was also worried. She didn’t know what happened between the two of them. She just didn’t want the two of them to have such an awkward relationship. She felt pain in her heart.

“Hey…you looking like that…” Kai said while putting his hands on his pockets. “…could it be that you like him.” He pointed his finger on Lee Taemin.

“Why do you care about me?”

“Hey…hey…stop shouting. We’re causing an uproar.” Krystal tried to go between them. “Sulli, I know that---“

“Why? You say? Don’t you even have a clue!?”

“What?” Sulli was clueless. She saw Kai’s face and his determined eyes, she didn’t want to admit it to herself.

“You…are so naïve.”

“Why?”

“Don’t you know why I came back here, empty-handed and unprepared? Don’t you know how much I’ve been thinking about you for the past three years we’re apart? Don’t you know?! I’ve…I’ve really really like you.

“You…” She didn’t want to see his gaze. He really became a man.

“I love you. We’ve promised to not forget about each other, right?” Kai held his hand.

“What’s going on between the two?” Heechul leaned his arms on Taemin’s shoulder. “Why are you shaking right now?”

“I’m not scared.”

“I never said that you are scared.”

“The two of them, they have a red thread connecting them. We shouldn’t interfere.” Krystal could just stay out of it. She knew that Sulli had been this lucky, to have many people liking her.

“She’s just too clueless.” Taemin rumored as he put his head down.

“Why are you having that kind of face?” Heechul titled Taemin’s head forcibly. “Are you jealous?”

“WHAT?” Taemin shrugged in denial.

After the Kailli calmed down

On a cafeteria, near the beautiful sunny day, the trees shed the color of bright green, like it was a new day.

Taemin waited for the others to come back. Opposite of his seat, there sat Krystal, blankly spacing out. He couldn't open up conversations.

He was too timid.

"Oppa...we used to go there, just the two of us." Krystal said while reminiscing the fun-filled memories. The bright sky from the time when they first go out flowed out to her like the peeking bright sun.

"I wanted you to reject me." He quietly spoke off the words he recently couldn't say. "I wanted you to say that I'm not worthy of your love."

"What for?" Krystal got teary-eyed. "Let's just find people who could love us as much as we love them."

"Thank you..." Taemin held her hand. Krystal got frantic.

"Wae, oppa?"

"For the memories..." Krystal got shaken by the striking words. "...for those happy times... I really felt genuine happiness."

"Oppa..." Krystal's tears flowed through her pale skin. Wiping them off, Taemin leaned close an inch close to her face."But, you only think of me as a sister."

"I'm sorry." He sat back to his seat. He calmly let out a sigh. He tried to avoid Krystal's eyes.

"What would you do now? Would you transfer to another school? Your job of taking care of me is finished."

"No...I don't want to anymore." Taemin searched for Sulli.

"I never thought that you could learn to like my friend." Krystal looked at the giggling Sulli next to Kai. "But, here you have another character of this sickening love..."

"Do they look good together?" Taemin unconsciously frowned.

"Would you want them to be together if I answered your question?" Krystal happily jested around Taemin. "Hmm...that guy, he really has the ability to captivate her heart. They had an irremovable bond."

"Well...I don't mind them." 

Krystal couldn't describe his face. It was the face of a jealous young guy. "It's fine to admit it." Krystal's heart was ablaze. Her words could be striking but more than anyone, she had wished that it was not her friend. But, what could she do?

Love is the bewildering embodiment of feelings in this world.