seventeen.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

 

Gumawo.

Mianhe.

Is that all what  you could say?

Let's move on and look forward for the future.

It was night filled with the dazzling stars. The quiet room was filled with the sound of the pen striking the paper calmly and hesitantly. Sulli was looking at the bright stars, looking again for the Orion to give her strength for the upcoming match tomorrow. She shook her head in desperation as she lifted the notebook and try to read what she had wrote.

/Tomorrow would be the day that I would be waiting for. But, would he come there? /

The door suddenly busted open that Sulli jumped into fright and looked at the person who opened it. It was Han Geun Young. She held on her hand a photo and with her beautiful face, a gentle smile was gladly drawn on it. She’s like a heroine from a manhwa coming into real life.

“Sulli-ah, are you ready for tomorrow?”

“Unnie…you shouldn’t stress yourself. Ah, sit here.” She pulled the chair towards the woman as the woman gladly smiled and rested there.

“Are you still nervous?” The woman was teasing her already.

“No, I’m fine. I know that I could do it. But…”

“When I was young, I used to be fond of sports myself. But, as you know, my body is gradually deteriorating.” There were sadness in her words; also regrets were in her eyes.

“Don’t worry, Unnie. I’d be winning this match for you.” Sulli squeezed her unnie’s hands together.

“Sorry for involving you further with this. I’m so sorry.” Her eyes were tearing up already. “I wished that I never got to have this kind of life in which many people cared so deeply for me.” Tears came tearing down my face.

A question struck Sulli. In her mind, it was something she had never thought of asking. “Unnie…” She hesitated for a moment. But, continued to go on,  “Where are your parents?”

Geun Young’s eyes were filled with shock and guilt of the question. But, she calmly gave her an answer. “They died in a car accident. Only Kai’s parents took over me. I don’t want to remember that terrible situation.”

“Unnie…” Sulli felt the guilt of asking. “…You don’t have to continue.”

“I was really glad that I met you. Tomorrow is also the day that I would be leaving. I’m sorry… that he couldn’t see the match because of me.”

“No…no…” She waved her hands. “It’s not something you should have to be worried about.”

“Really?” She beamed a smile. “I’d be going…”

 

“Mnmm…” Whilst Geun Young turning back, she again caught a glimpse of a sad and teary Sulli. She wanted to ease her pain but she couldn’t. All she could do is to make her more anxious of what tomorrow would become. “I’m really sorry.” She tried to face her.

“Unnie…” Sulli had her face down. “…Goodbye. It was really a nice time. I don’t know what would happen if I could win, but not seeing you go, it really is hard for me. It’s really… regrettable.”

“I’d be wishing you good luck, Sulli-ah…” Geun Young gave her the last smile as she went downstairs to her room. She opened the door and jumped in her bed. She reached for her phone.

She dialed the number. It was Lee Taemin’s.

“Hello?..” A tired man’s voice was on the next line. Geun Young felt the tiredness coming from his voice; she thought that he was already asleep. “Sorry…but, am I disturbing you?”

“Noona?!” Taemin gasped from his bed and tried to open the light on his room. He jolted upright and pulled the seat next to his desk.”…so what is it?” His voice changed to become an energetic one. ”What is it?” He tried to call out her attention.

“It’s about tomorrow’s plans.”

“What is it? Is there any problem? You better ask Hee—“ There was a big smile drawn on his face. He was grinning, looking so happy checking the calendar against the wall. There was a mark on the date. But, he crossed it with a big X mark. He thought that he could change his plans.

“Taemin-ah, it’s Sulli’s competition…” Geun Young looked worried.

“Oh…I’ve already changed my plans… She also knows of it. I don’t think that it’s my responsibility to go watch it. I mean---“

“Taemin-ah, do you really want to see me off? You are just adding fuel to the fire.”

“Noona…” Taemin stood up, siding the curtains to see the magnanimous view of that night. It was already 11:15 pm. He looked at his watch, ‘til he confirmed it. “I wanted to forget about you. So, I’m coming to… say goodbye.”

“Then… Thank you, Taemin. Thank you for everything. “ Geun Young hanged up. She heaved a deep sigh.

Taemin looked at his phone once more. Tears came streaming down his face. They were sad and lonely tears, but he needed to say goodbye to the old Lee Taemin. He needed to start anew and to initiate that change; he wanted his heart to be ready to forget…

He needed to see her off. So that, as she goes, she would carry along with her, the memories and feelings from back then.

“It’s not like I wanted to see you off…

 

===

Kai awoke hearing a thud next door. Next door, was after all Choi Jinri’s room.

“Yah! What’s with that early in the morning?” Kai stretched out his hands as he stood up, ruffling his messy hair. He opened Sulli’s door.

“Mianhe~ Did I woke you up?” Sulli was lying on the floor, looking for the perfect tennis racket. She rummaged also for the perfect dress, she found one but she was lost in thought with the racket issue. Kai helped her to get up.

They sat at Sulli’s bedside. There was awkwardness but they got used to it. Kai looked around her room.

“Hmm…seemed to be quite a tiger’s lair.” He chuckled softly. “I was just kidding.”

“Tsk. How could you joke around when you’re not even smiling?” Sulli looked again. “Which do you think would be good?”

“Just use what you usually use. My god.” Kai frowned a little.

“Then, I’d just choose this.”

“Hey…where is the tournament?”

“Of course, at the tournament arena… near the biggest park in town.

“Okay…I’ll go there.”

There were loud knocks at the door. The person at the other end seemed to forget that there was a doorbell. Geun Young who was about to leave, ushered him through the inside of the house. It was Oh Sehun, Sulli’s best sparring partner if one would talk about tennis.

“Annyeonghaseyo~” Sehun bowed down with 90-degree angle on the still sleepy Kai who went downstairs to check on with him.

“Oh! You’re…wait, wait…” He waved his hand in disbelief. “The two of you are living together?” He looked at the two of them as they both nodded in agreement. “No way. But, I thought you’re Krystal’s---“

“Hey, hey, this a secret so keep your mouth shut.” Kai glared at him.

“Hey…wait,” Sehun was already at the brink of losing his sanity. “Okay, fine. I need to calm down. At least, I have a better chance for Soo---“ His own mouth slipped.

“What?” Kai looked at him from head to toe. “I thought you like Jinri-ah.”

“No…we’ve just known each other since we’ve been tennis buddies. But, we’re just friends.” Sehun was hyperventilating, he always avoided Kai. He was after all an ulzzang, but he seriously doesn’t want to get acquainted with him.

“Then, you like Soojung?” Geun Young was also trying to .

“No…no.. who said that I like her?” Sehun had his head down. “She’s too out of my league.”

“Well…whatever.” Sulli was already about to say goodbye to Kai. “Hey, be sure to guard the house. If you’re watching the game, be there at 10 am sharp, kay?”

“Oh…I’d be going.” Sehun bowed again.

As the two went and perhaps boarded the bus prepared by the school already, there was a black car just approaching. Geun Young heard the screeching sound she had waited for. Kai was in the dining area, munching toast and bacons.

“Who is it?” Kai looked curious, but he knew that it was time for Geun Young to go.

“Kai… it’s about time to go.”

Kai stood up once again. “Noona…I’d be taking care of myself. Also, I’d be going to the dorms. I think Sulli would be uncomfortable with a guy like me lurking around his house.”

“Yeah….any girl would be uncomfortable to see Kim Jong In drooling over her at the middle of the night.

“Hey!” Kai blushed. ”I don’t…”

“Haha. I was just joking.  “Jongin-ah, this is goodbye then.” Geun Young held Kai’s hands. “Thank you for everything, Kai…”

“I know already. Take care and come back… I don’t want you to be collapsing again.”

“I promise to not make you worry again.” They both linked their pinkies and swore.

There outside of the house, Taemin and Heechul were already waiting for her. They have those anxious eyes while looking at her coming towards them. They didn’t know that this day would be the day that the brothers, finally reunited, would again be separated; even crossing the oceans would be the only way that they could see each other again.

“Let’s go. “ Geun Young led the two inside. Kai was just trying to keep his calm, watching her noona about to go home. He watched her profile, her every movement. He thought that this would be the last. It brought him to despair.

“Aish….Don’t think too much. She’d be coming back…alive.”

Taemin was looking at the window. The tinted black window made him look more of, missing something no, someone. He was just looking there while checking the time. It was past eight already. They were still on a long way. He let out a deep sigh. His breath tried to catch with his nervous mind. I hope I could catch up.

“Taemin-ah, do you really…” Geun Young wanted to confirm it. She was sitting next to him as Heechul was on the driver’s seat.

“Noona…I’m determined.”

“Then, here. My gift to you.” Geun Young gave her the photo she was previously holding on. She wanted to give it to Sulli but it seemed to be for Taemin after all.

“What’s this? It’s… “

“I took it, the day that Hee and I once again saw each other. I saw the two of you hugging each other. Don’t you think that there’s… love between the two of you?”

“Of course not. She’s just my little sister.”

“Is that why you wanted to get over me?” Geun Young was worried and kind of mocking his cowardice because he was so full of himself, that he didn’t see what was on his heart.

“No way. “

They alighted at the airport. It was already 9:45 am. Sulli’s match would go on sharply about 10:30 pm.

===

 

On the other hand, Sulli’s hands became sweaty. She was really frightened of losing. Kai snuck on their resting place, seeing Sulli dumbfounded and speechless. She was biting her thumb like a child would.

“Hey, what’s up?” Kai tried to sit next to her. He held her hand which startled the young missy. Her heart was racing due to the fact that it was this day that many things had transpired that she wanted to forget about them all. “It’s alright. Just do your best.”

“Jongin-ah, what should I do without you?” Sulli gave Kai a tight hug. “Ah…I really really don’t want to lose.”

As she wrapped him on her arms, Kai beamed a happy expression. It was an expression that a pair of eyes watching them would go ablaze and jealous. She was contented with her own view of it, as she tilted her head. “I don’t want to see this.” The poor Krystal tried to stay away from them.

Krystal didn’t notice that Oh Sehun saw her running around and even bumped at him. There were tears on her eyes. Krystal didn’t want to show her face.

“Hey, are you alright?” Sehun pulled her hand and hauled her to a seat on the tournament arena. “Where are you running from?”

“From someone who was always breaking my heart.” She pouted slyly. She looked again at the crowd of people and supporters wanting to see her best friend playing and rocking on the court.

“Really? Do you want?” Sehun handed her a sports drink.

“Gumawo.” Krystal took a sip of it. It was bitter. “Bleh. What’s this?” She felt lightheaded.

“It’s my own treatment for myself. If I would be sipping that sports drink, I’m relieving myself and withstanding with the stresses around me.”

“So, that’s the trick.” She looked again at the brand of sports drink. “I’d be doing it just like that. You’re Oh Sehun right? The silent guy from my class?”

“Yeah… you remembered me?” Sehun wanted to jump from happiness. “I never thought that you would…” He shook his head.

“Haha. You’re really so innocent.”

“Answer me. Where are you running from, no, who is it that is continuously breaking your heart?” He was waiting and ready to know the answer.

“Tsk. It was Jongin.” There was a burden from Krystal’s heart that won’t be fine until that person would love her back. But, she thought that it was so impossible.

“I think that Kim Jong In really likes Sulli. He’s like a totally different person when he’s with h---“

“Thanks for rubbing salt on my wound.” Krystal twitched her brows. “She’s really kind and tough and responsible and helpful. She’s the oh-so-perfect Choi Jinri. Who  would not…” She sobbed.

“Me… I didn’t fall for her even if she’s close to me. It’s just that the girl I’m in love with is only caring about her own love life that she didn’t know how many persons like her.” Sehun grimaced as he stole a glance at Krystal.

“Yeah, she’s dumb.” Krystal chuckled. “AISH. We’re both so bitter.” Both of them chuckled.

/a/n/

That’s it. Oh, I really feel so tired.

School would be resuming tomorrow.

Hwaiting for me~ I don’t know when to update next.

But, I’ll assure all of you that I would give a detailed chapter.

MUST-READ:

Do you like that Oh Sehun likes Krystal? Or, you just wanted him to be on the side lines. So sorry if I roughly wrote it, it’s because I’m just a beginner in writing.

Haha. So, this is a big development.

Please, no silent readers~ I wanted all of you to be happy and discuss about fun stuffs about how the story goes. Do COMMENT…pretty please…with puppy eyes already.

Haha. So, I’m also watching To the Beautiful You.

Check this out~ Taemin’s going to release his first-ever-single, 'It's You'. It would be a soundtrack for To The Beautiful You.

Fighting! Taemin-ah. Ayyiee~ So spazzing. Really, Taelli.