thirty-four.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

 

I was the always the one who needed help

Now, I'd be the one lightly pushing people on their backs

So, they themselves could have a happy ending

 

Flashbacks right after Yaera’s accident

Taemin dropped by to the hospital on his way home. He had hurried footsteps. He did not know why he was going to visit her in the first place. Maybe, it was out of sympathy or even mere pity for the poor girl.

He reached her room on the far side of the fifth floor. Nurses were passing by him one after another. There were no people cluttering in front of the room not like when Krystal was hospitalized. The seats were empty that should have been occupied by Yaera’s friends.

He knocked at the door. But, there was no answer. He had with him a bouquet of flowers in case, Yaera would check on him.

He turned the knob and surprisingly saw Kim Yaera looking at the night sky.

“Hmn?” Yaera saw a very familiar man at the door. “Come in, Oppa.”

Taemin gestured next to her bed. He replaced the near-to-dry bunch of flowers in the vase.

“I’ve come here…to see you.” He dragged a chair next to Yaera.

“Well…at this case, I should be thanking you.” Yaera reached for the remote control. She turned the television on.

“You must’ve had a bad time…” Taemin pointed out how no one was visiting her.

“I wanted to get out of here already. The food was so eww…” Yaera couldn’t explain much and tried to chuckle loudly. It was really loud enough for Taemin to join along.

There came the awkward silence. Taemin did not know what to do about anything anymore as he slowly tried to fiddle on his phone. It was a fine excuse at this type of situations.

“What are you doing?” Yaera tried to peep in. “Hehe. I did not know that you’re really normal-looking from up close.”

“What do you mean by that?” Taemin just stared at her.

She chuckled heartily again. “Well…sorry but, Oppa…I thought that I’d be too stunned to even look at you. You’re not really my type.”

“Why are you being like this?” Taemin poked her head. “Are you hurting anywhere?”

“Here, Oppa.” Yaera tried to put his hand on her chest. “Can’t you see that I’m hurting here?” Yaera’s expression became stiff.

“Yaera…cut this out already.”

Yaera grinned and let go of his hand.

“Oppa…I hope that you could be my boyfriend. Or even, I wish that I could have someone like you by my side.”

“Yaera-yah, you’re really a kind person if you just think about it. Many people would be delighted to see you being so bubbly and friendly, IF only you could open up your heart to others.”

Yaera just stared at him. Taemin’s forehead creased.

“No one could ever like me, Oppa. Maybe, if I would be like Jinri or Soojung, then maybe everyone could swoon over me.”

“Don’t compare yourself to them.” Taemin reached for some apples and began to peel them off.

“Yeah, they’re really different than me. “ She let out a sigh.

“Yaera…” Taemin stopped momentarily on peeling an apple. “Just have some trust on yourself.”

“Oppa…can you do me a favor?”

“What is it?”

“I said..can you do me a favor?”

“Neh…” He nodded reluctantly. He thought that it would not hurt if he could just fulfill one of her favors.

“Maybe…I’d be suspended right after this. But, next Saturday, can you go out with me?”

“Is that all?” He bobbed his head. “Fine. Next Saturday is fine.”

“Thanks…”

 

Wednesday

It was morning in the XXX High School. The sun shone rather brighter than usual. It was the day that the Principal called Yaera and her friends in his office. The talk seemed to be breath-taking but Yaera accepted all of the scolding. She could not care less about it. Now, it was the time for her to repent for the sins she had committed and to put an end with all her useless struggles.

She placed her hand on her beating heart. She tried to shout out how she would change for the better. It was the thing she needed the most right now. It was the fighting spirit to never back down again.

She began to apologize to everyone, including Sulli.

 

Krystal and Sulli went out to the rooftop. It was their favorite hangout. They let out their doshiraks for some quiet time for themselves while eating the food their mothers especially prepared for them after a while.

“So…how’d you find out about Kim Yaera?” Sulli began to reminisce the time when Kai and Krystal had to be at the exact place where Kim Yaera was found to be at the brink of the accident.

Krystal puffed. “Well…it was because I don’t know. I’m taking the trash out and everything but because I’m a klutz and my leg was still on a wrap, Jongin helped me.” She truthfully related the series of events leading to the scenario.

“Continue then.” Sulli couldn’t wait but to listen to Krystal’s meaningful speech.

“Well…it was by then that we saw Kim Yaera.” She blushed suddenly. Something struck Krystal that she was unable to continue what she was saying.

“Krystal…” Sulli pouted. “What is it?” She tried to look deeply on Krystal’s eyes.

“Fine.” She nodded. “Well…I really did make a drama out of all the past times.”

“What kind of drama?” Sulli said while munching a spoonful of rice from her lunch box.

“I said that…he shouldn’t help me. I said that it was unimaginable for a girl who was dumped to be helped by the guy who dumped her.” Krystal’s face became gloomy. She diverted her gaze to the lunch box. She ate the small shrimps as side dishes.

“And then? What else?” Sulli said while wiping off the rice on her cheek.

Krystal gulped. “He said by then that…I should just forget about everything.” Krystal got flustered more and more. Any more of this talk could make her cheeks burst into deep red. “That…we should continue being friends and all, as an end sentence of that…he said that he couldn’t wait for the time when he would fall for me.” Krystal got stoned as words came deeper into her heart.

He said that to me? Krystal thought and a slight smile came over her face. She happily dug in the food on her lap.

“The two of you are so cheeky. Why don’t the two of you just go out officially?” Sulli hardly.

“Well then, why don’t you just confess your feelings to Taemin-oppa?” Krystal got back on her.

“We’re nothing like that.” Sulli brushed off the topic.

“Both of you are so alike in many ways.” Krystal chuckled. “I’m amused that the both of you couldn’t get your feelings crossed.”

“I should be more honest and straight-forward.”

Krystal nodded and gave her friend a hard pat on her back. “Haha. It would turn out well.”

Suddenly, Kim Yaera appeared out of nowhere. Both of them gasped in fright due to her coming directly to them. Krystal even prepared to fight with her spoon and forks as she crossed the two acting as a shield.

“I’m not here to fight.” Kim Yaera said. She bowed. “I’m sorry for the inconvenience and for everything I did.”

“Why are you suddenly…” Krystal sensed her change of heart. “You should have known your mistakes.”

“I’m really sorry…” She just continued to bow her head low without even trying to make eye contact with them. She had her eyes closed as if she was waiting for something.

“It’s alright.” Sulli commanded her to stop bowing her head so low. “It was nothing to be so mindful about. You should just continue changing yourself.”

“Thank you…”Yaera face palmed.  She hid her tears. But, she couldn’t hold too much anymore and burst crying in front of the two friends. They comforted her like they were sisters bounded by fate.

 

Saturday

Kim Yaera was still suspended in class. But, she was able to sneak out from her parents’ eagle eyes to have a date with Taemin. She had cute pink blouse and fluttering skirt. She matched it with fake eyeglasses and a cute black ribbon. She groomed her hair into a bun and put some light make-up. Then and there, she was ready to go.

Taemin waited near the clock tower opposite of a shopping mall. He was wearing casual clothes and had his hands on his pockets. He continuously looked at the time. Yaera was really late. Taemin had never thought he could be waiting so much time for this.

Yaera already saw Lee Taemin that yawned out loud. Taemin was looking all around. Although Yaera was so prepared for this occasion, she wouldn’t be forgiven by this at all. She had an uneasy heart and thought if she really knew who Lee Taemin was. What does he like to do? She simply didn’t have a clue. What were his hobbies? She didn’t even ask. She was so dependent all this time to his character profiles and to what she saw at him at every single day.

She looked at her from head to toe. She looked perfect. But, she was really scared to even take the first step.

“Yaera, why did you call me----“ Sulli was huffing and puffing. She had a casual yellow tee shirt matched with her white pants. She had sunglasses to cover her bare face. She wore a bonnet to make herself even more comfortable at this type of hot weather. She blinked while looking at Kim Yaera.

“You looked really plain looking.” Yaera tried to . “You couldn’t be going on a date with this…but oh well, Taemin-oppa was waiting for this.”

“WHAT?!” Yaera put her hand on . They hid on a tree looking at the bored Lee Taemin already waiting for exactly an hour and a half.

“I know that I couldn’t be forgiven with just this. But, Sulli-ah…be sure to treat Oppa well.”

“Why?” She had a puzzled look. “You prepared for this. You’re really gorgeous from head to foot. But, why me? I just got here after sending Mom to the airport.”

“You looked fine whatever you choose. Now, go.” Yaera lightly patted Sulli.

Sulli walked near him.

Taemin, as well, had a weird feeling about these happenings. He looked behind him and saw Choi Jinri, scratching the back of her neck, behind him.

Sulli greeted and bowed shyly to him. She explained the situation.

Taemin burst out laughing. He held her hand. “We couldn’t do anything about this. I even booked tickets for some movies. Also, I had kept some tickets if Yaera would want to go to the amusement park. Oh, I have some tickets for the museum as well. She’s the type to---“

“But, she said that I’M with YOU for now.” Sulli pouted.

“Hey, why acting like a brat?” Taemin creased his forehead.

“So…you should recommend something I could further enjoy.” Sulli smirked.

“What? What’s up with you?” Taemin just gave her cold shoulders. He just took her to some fancy restaurant. “Whatever, it isn’t like I don’t want you to be my date. SO, let’s just enjoy this day, kay?”

“Mnm.” Sulli whispered. She hung her head low while walking with him. She couldn’t take this stifling situation. She didn’t want to be so caught up to this situation and making everything so obvious to this oblivious man who couldn’t even figure out her feelings for him.

 

Okay, next chapter's about their date.

Keke. No interruptions at this point in time

Could Taelli get their feelings across?

I hope they could already....oh well, I forgot that this still depends on me.

Who wanted to see Choi Minah?

Hehe. If she'd be showing up, it meant that this fanfic would be near its final chappie.