forty-nine.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

Letting go is the hardest part

But, we could all learn from that

Growing up is the same as Maturing

There's no point if we wouldn't know

How to sacrifice

 

Krystal sat on her seat, feeling depressed about Sehun’s fight. Just early this morning, she strolled around the sunbae’s high school building as she pleaded for an apology. The sunbae’s face was unreadable, as if he was avoiding this topic. His mouth looked like he was about to say something to her, but backed off. He covered his mouth and tilted his head on her.

As Krystal looked at his back, she felt disappointment. She couldn’t account for what happened, since she didn’t even know Sehun’s reasons. She came back with a heavy heart.

Meanwhile, a member of the student council roamed in their room and asked for Sehun and Kai to report to the principal’s office. Krystal pulled the uniform of the member, as she asked, “Why are those…two?”

The member shook his head and darted off quickly. Sehun and Kai stood up and glanced at each other. They shot glances on Krystal which made the young lady puzzled and confused. They followed the student council member to the office and there, the issue would be settled.

The principal looked displeased, about the two. Sehun was about to bow for an apology, but Kai stopped him on what he was about to do. He took it as his, dismissing the fact that it was his own responsibilities and Sehun was just dragged along since they were some kind of friends. The principal named Mr. Jin raised an eyebrow. He knew that that reason was not plausible enough for him to believe, as he called his son and asked for what truly happened.

His son who was the sunbae that Sehun punched told him that it was Kai who flamed Sehun’s reasons on hitting the sunbae. It was also Kai who did a greater damage on the sunbae’s face. Mr. Jin’s face grew red, as he tried to clench his fist from under his table. He gulped, feeling choked. He sensed something different to the atmosphere but he proved that he was to be not called a failure as a principal more so as a father.

“Then…” He rummaged his desk and looked for a couple of papers. He sifted through an envelope and asked Kai if he would be able to do it.

“What is it?” The principal handed the papers. Kai looked at it, reading everything from period to period. He smirked, thinking that it was a little bit exaggerated but he could do it.

“What is that?” Sehun shot a look at him.

Kai tried to hide the paper. “I’d be doing my work, then. But, maybe right after I paid my suspension. A week would be a piece of cake. Then, doing a total of fifty hours of community work is a whole lot of load. But, do not fret, Sir.” He bowed lowly.

Sehun looked fine as he saw Kai’s status. He seemed to go well with it.

The principal dismissed both of them.

“Pweeh…just don’t let Krystal know that I’m leaving.” Kai beamed, feeling lighter. “I don’t know how to say it on her face.”

Sehun sensed Kai’s ineloquence kicking. It was as if he wasn’t fully satisfied as much as how he reacted with all of the consequences. There was a heavy burden on Sehun’s mind as he looked at Kai who was suffering secretly.

Kai went to the far-off restroom and took a second look on the papers. He was not truly disbelieving this, since he knew that this could be a possibility. A tear trickled on his face as he felt like he was a prisoner serving for his parole. His dreams crushed instantly, the principal thought of the consequences to follow for his deeds and put those into paper. It was unusual to put it that way.

The principal must have guessed that he would regret what he had done, if he rubbed it off on his face.

I couldn’t go to that national competition I’ve been working hard on. He looked at his reflection on the mirror; he was disheveled out of everything that had transpired. He was a goner already. But, before he leaves, he wanted to have some good memories for himself.

But, maybe it was planned out for him to realize how much he had caused Krystal hurt and pain.

He went back to the classroom after twenty minutes. Tomorrow would be the start of his suspension. It was a total of seven days, as he could hardly know what he was going to do with the community work. It would hurt his pride the most.

Sehun’s mind acted in the blur as he saw Kai’s expression. He was the one to be blamed as his conscience kicked off. Krystal looked at Kai with the same expression as he looked at her. Both of their eyes met and they could feel sympathy even with just the faces. Krystal tried to look at other things, avoiding him.

Kai went back to his seat and tried to have his classmates relieve of why he was late and why he was summoned to the principal’s office. Sehun was asked as well, but he didn’t even answer more importantly to Krystal’s naggings.

Sulli was also asking, but to no avail, he was not even responding. That huge behavioral change on Sehun made Taemin uneasy; he wasn’t having creepy thoughts on his mind right now for nothing. Right after the break, Taemin straightly snatched Sehun away from Krystal.

“Come here, come here…” Taemin called.

Sehun followed along with his hyung. He gulped, sensing that he knew Taemin knew that something was fishy.


 

“Hyung…stop asking.” Sehun felt the nagging of his favorite hyung. He was careful of his words.

“I don’t think that everything’s all right.” Taemin couldn’t continue with this helpless interrogation but decided to do so. He was worried about everything as much as he was curious to know why Kai took the blame. He knew everything that happened from Krystal, since she cried to him when that happened.

“Hyung, let’s just stop this.” he whispered, finally leaving.

“You’re avoiding this topic, I know. But, I would know everything in no time.” Taemin looked at him proudly, frowning.

“Suit yourself hyung.” Sehun turned his back against him. He looked for Krystal.

Krystal came from nowhere as he surprised the hell out of Sehun. Sehun gasped in response. Krystal had clanged her arms on his. “What did the two of you talk about?” she looked intently on Sehun’s eyes.

Sehun wavered. He tightened his grip on his fist, trying to prove to Krystal that nothing’s different.

“You are truly acting strange.”

Sehun’s face fell. He couldn’t really hide anything from his girlfriend. “I was just tired of everything that happened. Care to have a date this Saturday?”

“Hmn, jinjja?” Krystal hyped up. “Are you really asking me?”

“Why do you look so thrilled?”

“Well…I’ll have an excuse to go outside for the Saturday.” She beamed.

“So, only because of that.” Sehun hid his disappointed look on his face. He made a lopsided smile and stormed off to the cafeteria. “Let’s eat for now. I’m really hungry.” He uttered under his breath, rubbing his empty stomach.

“Okay, I’d be treating you…” Krystal volunteered.

“NO, I’d be. I’m the guy it would hurt my pride.” He debated.

“Hmph!” Krystal acted like a brat. They ordered food and carried their trays around looking for lone chairs on tables. But, the cafeteria was fully-packed since it was already late afternoon.

“It’s because of you! You talked to Oppa! And, these were the consequences.”

“Oh…look there. There’s an empty table. Oh, it was occupied by Kai…only?” Sehun looked at the right side of the cafeteria. Everyone was avoiding Kai without him noticing. Since Kai was used to his own views of the world, he was fine with whatever’s at store.

The whole student body didn’t want to associate with him. They must’ve felt that he was a criminal to them. Sehun rubbed his chest, feeling suffocated.

“Let’s join him.” Before he could talk, Krystal already neared the table. She sat opposite to him which started Kai matter of factly.

“Wait up…” Sehun followed along his girlfriend, like how a bodyguard protects his lady.

“Why are you alone?” Krystal looked worried.

Kai’s face fell. He looked at Sehun who didn’t have a clue why Krystal out of all the tables joined in with him. He didn’t notice the fact that so many people were there and that the only table that was not occupied with many was the table of him alone. He pitied himself for that, but he couldn’t do anything. Everyone thought of him as his enemy right now. He could’ve had avoided it, but he tried to rescue Sehun out of all this distress. No, he’s rescuing both of them.

Krystal just stared at him, not touching his food. “Hey..hey, tomorrow let’s just go together. You shouldn’t be a loner.”

“I’m not. And, I wouldn’t be here tomorrow.” He dismissed himself as he carried the tray to the washing area along with the dirty ones. His fan girls avoided him as if he was a parasite. It was like he never became their idol which Krystal thought was odd.

“How could he be branded as a criminal?” Krystal mumbled, having a spoonful of rice.

“I don’t know. Eat slowly.”

“He’s really enigmatic. I hope that he could open up.”

“He doesn’t have to, opening up could hurt him and the other party.”

“Why?”

Sehun felt the beads of perspiration on his face. He was to keep it a secret but he was truly a chatterbox.

“Nothing.” He felt even sadder. “So, where are we going this Saturday?”

“Let’s go to Jongin’s competition. He must be not around because of the practices, I assume. It’s what he’s working hard on for all this year. “

“I’ll ask my hyung about that.”

“Yeah, ask him. Luhan-oppa likes him as their ace. I would really like to see him play.”

 

“WHAT?!” Luhan scowled. In front of him was Kai who was pleading for his apology. “How could we lose you at this time? It’s the NATIONAL competition.” He raised an eyebrow, blowing on his bangs.

“But, many things happened.” Kai felt getting crushed. He couldn’t look straightly to Sehun’s older brother. How could he feel the guilt?

“But, the team wouldn’t the same without you.” Luhan felt the distant dream of his to win that competition. He knew how talented this boy was and if the team would lose him, they wouldn’t have the same power as much as they could have him there.

“I’m taking a leave of absence…” He whispered, feeling the hurt kick off.

“At this time?” Luhan couldn’t believe him. He was not going to let go of him. He’s truly important even his attitude was on par with the college soccer players. So, how could he lose such an important factor to win? “Fine…I’ll let you. But, find me a better soccer player more than you.”

“WHAT?!” Kai’s face grew impatient. “How could I---“

“That’s your problem.” Luhan’s face was about to cry. He knew it was impossible. He knew far too well, that no one could adapt to the demanding practices as much as Kai could. He turned his back against him.

 

Kai felt lost. He couldn’t leave without regrets. Could he? From the very first start, he didn’t notice anyone better at playing soccer as him from his line of vision and from people around his age.

He walked off the lobby, looking for the bag he left right at the entrance of the soccer club room. He noticed someone lurking around there. He raised an eyebrow as he heard the sound of the soccer ball hitting the wall, then the ground rapidly.

“Taemin-hyung?!” Something struck Kai.

If there was someone who so love soccer as him, Taemin would be the man for the job. He had the physique and the spirit to do it as he could. But, something made him so puzzled. Why wasn’t he at the soccer club in the first place? He was new, but he came to know everyone at the soccer club. There was no Lee Taemin at the list of the club members. He didn’t see him playing at regular matches, or even during practices.

He could see him playing some times but outside the school. Yes, he saw him at live television once. He saw him at that all-boys school playing soccer with some men. Yes, he was the captain back then.

From the start of the story, he hid away the fact that he was pretty popular. Even as a freshman, he was the captain. It must’ve been from his massive strength and love OF that sport. But, how could he transfer? How could he let go of the sport he so love the most?

“Why aren’t you…one of the members?”

Taemin smirked, it would be his chance to extract answers from Kai.

 

A cliff-hanger...

TBC..HAHAHA. For now...

Everyone curious?