Emotions

Dive in


"Yoongi, please don't be sad. You're the best swimmer I've ever met and you can't win every race." Hoseok's voice is calm over the phone, comforting for the angry boy.

He clutches his phone and strides back and forth outside of the pool area.

"Whatever. I want you to pick me up Hobi. I wanna go home." Yoongi knows he sounds pathetic, he hates it. But right now, he just wants to see the smiley boy. Because maybe Hoseok will make him feel a little better.

"Really? Sure! I'll come right now just meet me in the parking lot!" The boy sounds much more excited then he should be, causing Yoongi to roll his eyes.

"Bye." 

"Bye Yoongi." 

He sighs.

~

"I just called Jackson. He's on his way." Lisa tells Jungkook, causing the boy to smile.

"Great! Now our relay will be complete." Jungkook says to Lisa, Taehyung overhearing the last few words of the lifeguard.

The tanned boy had gone to the bathroom and fixed himself up, only to arrive back to Jungkook and Lisa talking about relay.

"What do you mean?" Taehyung interrupts their conversation. 

Jungkook and Lisa both turn to see Taehyung eyeing them both with confusion all over his face. Jungkook's smile widens.

"How would you feel about swimming relay. In finals?" 

Taehyung is surprised to hear those words since he knows their whole relay team isn't here. Jackson isn't here and Yoongi was on his way out the gate.

"H..how?" 

"Jackson is on his way." Jungkook says with excitement. 

"What about Yoongi..." Taehyung asks, watching the lifeguards smile fade just a bit.

".. did he leave?" Jungkook turns his attention to the space around him, trying to find the short boy from his view.

"I saw him waiting in the parking lot." 

"I'll go get him." Lisa quickly juts in, not hesitating to drop her clipboard and run out of the grass area to the parking lot. Jungkook sighs.

"I'm down to do this relay." Taehyung says after some thought, looking up at the lifeguard.

Jungkook's eyes widen just slightly, before burrowing in concern.

"Are you sure? Are you feeling any better?" Jungkook asks the boy, taking a step closer. Taehyung nods.

"I'm perfect." 

As Jungkook looks down at the boy, he feels a small urge to bring him into his chest and hug him tightly.

So he does.

With one step closer, the lifeguard brings his arms around Taehyung's waist and pulls him in. 

As he does so, an obvious blush creeps up on the younger's face before his arms wrap around Jungkook's neck. 

The embrace is warm and comforting. Jungkook's body is protective and strong against Taehyung's, causing the boy to feel something weird and warm in his heart. It's beats-pounds loudly, enough so that Jungkook can feel it against his chest. 

"I'm glad you're okay Taehyung. You always worry me so much." Jungkook mumbles, his chin resting on the younger's head. 

Taehyung takes a deep breath, inhaling the chlorine smell on Jungkook's chest and the faint smell of cologne left from his shirt. 

"Sorry Kook." Taehyung says, squeezing the boy tighter. 

They stay like that for a little while.

~

"I'm not going to do it." Yoongi groans for the 10th time. Lisa rolls her eyes, standing her ground as she glares at Yoongi with her arms crossed.

"You are. We've already signed you up." She says, knowing he's a rough one to crack.

"Too bad." Yoongi mutters, turning his attention back to the parking lot where he awaits Hoseok. 

"Yoongi." Lisa's voice snaps, causing the grouchy boy to turn his head ever so slightly so that she's in his view.

"They can't swim this relay without you. You're more a part of this team than anyone." Lisa begins, catching the boys attention just slightly.

"Everyone is waiting for you to swim that relay. Even the other teams have heard about you, they want to go against you. And you'll beat them, easily. Don't you want to prove yourself one last time?" Lisa says, hoping the boy will come to his senses.

"J..Just leave me alone. Give me time to think about it." Yoongi's annoyance doesn't go unnoticed by Lisa, but a small smirk appears on her lips as she watches him struggle to think.

"Alright. Relays start after lunch break, you have one hour to decide." She says before walking away and leaving Yoongi to figure things out.

~

"Where are your parents? Did they know about finals?" Jungkook asks Taehyung before digging his teeth into the delicious burger in his hands. 

For lunch break, Taehyung was really craving burgers and Jungkook knew a place close to the pool. So he drove them there. 

"Yeah they knew, but mom's best friend is getting married today and so her and my dad had to attend the wedding. I was suppose to go but I really wanted to swim." Taehyung says, taking another bite of his burger with a smile. He absolutely loves burgers.

"Whgat abhout yroou?" The boy mumbles, looking at Jungkook with a mouthful of burger.

"Huh?" Jungkook laughs at the boys chipmunk cheeks. Taehyung chews his food, trying to swallow all of it before looking back up to the lifeguard.

"What about you? Where are your parents?" Taehyung asks, putting his burger down and taking a sip of his coke.

Jungkook finishes his burger, taking a while to chew while he tries to hide his disappointment. He'd rather not talk about his parents right now, but it's his fault for bringing it up in the first place. 

"Uh, well my dad's far away so he couldn't make it. My moms just, too busy I guess." Jungkook mutters, Taehyung noticing an obvious change in mood. 

"What do you mean too busy? What's she doing?" Taehyung asks, looking up at the boy who frowns.

"She works for a food company. It's been getting big lately so she's been working a lot more. I understand why she can't come." Jungkook doesn't look up at Taehyung, he just keeps his eyes down at his empty plate.

"Still, that's no excuse to not be there for you. Does she even know how well of a swimmer you are?" Taehyung asks, suddenly feeling bad for the lifeguard. He gets so much credit at the pool, but never from the actual important people in his life.

"She uh... doesn't know that I swim at this pool. She just knows I've been working as a lifeguard." 

Taehyung's eyes go wide, internally gasping as he hears Jungkook's words.

"What!? You didn't tell her?" Taehyung questions.

"Well, she heard about finals, however she just assumed I'd be there to swim the relay. She doesn't know I've been competing every week." Jungkook says with a sudden laugh, and Taehyung knows too well that he's not laughing happily.

"Jungkook." The lifeguard looks up at Taehyung, who's face is pretty serious.

"Hm." He hums, not wanting to speak as Taehyung's eyes see right through him. Taehyung suddenly reaches his hand across the table, finding Jungkook's and slowly intertwining them.

"I find that really unfair that your mother didn't come for you. And even though you may be feeling like she doesn't care, I know she does. She's just trying her best to support you, even if it means working harder. It's just another way of showing her love." Taehyung says, his thumb slowly rubbing circles onto Jungkook's. 

The lifeguard smiles. 

"I know. I just...want to show her what I can do. Surprise her." He says a little quietly. 

"I understand. And I'm sure someday, soon enough, you will." Taehyung says, holding a confident tone even though he can't predict the future.

"Thanks Tae." Jungkook squeezes the younger boys hand. 

"And even though I'm not your mom, I can tell you now, that you're amazing. Jungkook you've already impressed everyone and you don't have to win every race to do so. So please, tell your mom about swimming okay?" Taehyung's voice is deep and calming. It soothes Jungkook from any anger he had pent up, any annoyance or sorrow.

"Okay." The lifeguard breaths, looking at the younger boy in front of him with a glint of something warm and special in his eyes.

What is this that I'm feeling?