Apologize

Dive in

On Monday, Taehyung doesn't show up to swim practise. Lisa is worried and confused, whereas Jungkook is guilty and responsible. 

~

"I'm sorry but why is this your business?" Jungkook questions as he stands in the staff room with Jimin who's currently on a rampage. About Taehyung.

"I'm his best friend. I know everything Jungkook. You need to apologize. Right now." Jimin says in an angry tone that he's never heard before. 

"Let me deal with it on my own." Jungkook says dryly, when really he just wants to tell Jimin to bud out of it. He feels guilty enough as it is.

"Fine. But just know, he doesn't deserve someone like you." Jimin spits out before walking out of the staff room. 

Jungkook let's out a breath to calm himself down. He starts to pace back and forth, feeling anxiety rising from Jimin's words.

He never meant to hurt Taehyung. After Jimin had told Jungkook about Taehyung crying all day, Jungkook couldn't think about anything but that.

And that's the problem. 

Jungkook can't focus on anything but Taehyung. When he's at work, he thinks of the younger boy. When he's at home, when he's at the store, when he's in the shower. 

Jungkook can't stop thinking about Taehyung and he doesn't know what to do. He might have failed his evaluation because of the mess he put on himself. And it all started because he was thinking too much of Taehyung. 

Jungkook hasn't let out his emotions to anyone and the only person that Jungkook can truly talk to this about is another lifeguard. Jin.

~

Once Jin is done his shift, he walks over to Jungkook's car where the younger told him to meet up. 

He opens the passenger seat and gets in to see the younger staring off. He doesn't even notice Jin getting in and closing the door. 

"Jungkook?" Jin breaks the silence, Jungkook abruptly looking up. 

"Oh, hi Jin. Sorry I was distracted." Jungkook scratches his head while apologizing.

"It's okay...but it seems you really need to get something off your chest." Jin says worriedly as he looks at the strange look on Jungkook's face. It's a familiar face to Jin though. He's experienced it before. 

"Let's go eat first and then we can talk." Jungkook says while starting up the car and driving away from the pool.

~

"This is why I told you to push off those feelings for a little bit, at least until after the evaluation." Jin says sternly like a mother Jungkook never had. Jungkook had just finished explaining to Jin a few minor details about what happened during the evaluation and with Taehyung.

"I know hyung! I tried! I was almost through my evaluation when Taehyung got a leg cramp and couldn't swim. And then when he was in the bathroom for so long I got worried... and then." 

"You couldn't control yourself anymore. Yeah, I get it, I totally do." Jin says, surprising the younger a bit.

"You do?" Jungkook asks.

"Yeah, I won't go in details but remember how I told you about me and Namjoon? Let's just say during my evaluation to be a coach, he was my evaluator. It was awful. I did everything to please him, and one of my swimmers ended up having an asthma attack because I made her do too many push ups. I couldn't forgive myself for a long while." Jin says, thinking back to his story of regret.

"But you ended up being a coach... even after that?" Jungkook asks with a little bit of hope.

"Well yeah! Apparently I treated the asthma attack diligently and it showed how skilled I was at being a lifeguard. But I definetly learned my lesson on how serious this job can be. And how to separate my personal life from the job" Jin says and Jungkook feels happy to have someone like Jin to talk to. 

"Jin hyung can I ask you a question?"  Jungkook ask, fiddling with the burger wrapper on his plate.

"Of course." Jin says happily.

"How can I separate my feelings from the pool and Taehyung if he's my swimmer? He's at the pool almost everyday." Jungkook asks, his heart hurting a little when he thinks about hurting Taehyung.

"It'll be hard. But the first way to start is by hanging out outside of the pool. That will sort of differ your relationship from the pool. Then you just have to turn it off for the hour that you're coaching him." Jin tells Jungkook, sounding like he has quite a bit of experience with feelings and relationships.

"Okay.. so I should take him on a date?" 

"Exactly. But first you have to apologize to him. Remember he hasn't excepted you yet." Jin reminds Jungkook, causing the younger boys face to drop. He's upset with himself for leaving the boy all alone in the bathroom with no answer. But he had to leave in order to keep his job, an it might not of even helped.

"I will. I'll apologize the second I see him tomorrow. If I'm still a lifeguard tomorrow." Jungkook's voice wavers, his eyes looking back down.

"Jungkook, Namjoon will be announcing it tonight. Maybe you should go to Taehyung before then. But I have full confidence you'll be rewarded as a full time coach." Jin smiles to Jungkook before standing up from his chair.

"Our shift starts soon, make your decision in the car." The elder says as he notices Jungkoook contemplating quite a bit.

And Jungkook does make his decision. He's going to apologize to Taehyung right after his shift ends. He's going to earn the boys trust and he's going to take Taehyung for himself.